• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
AstroLad said:
agreed. can you rebuy stuff you've sold too (obviously losing money in the exchange)?

Nope it's the same price. (I think)

Dedalus said:
-My game seemed to have bugged out towards the end, I somehow ended up with Oghren in my party when I decided to help Branka save the anvil. His avatar wasn't even onscreen but he was speaking! Crazy bug. Same thing happened with Loghain, who I told Alistair to kill, but somehow ended up being made a Grey Warden and joined me in the fight in Denerim, again, as an invisible avatar. Kinda spoiled the immersion there.

Did you use the selectparty console command? I know using it causes that Oghren bug.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AstroLad said:
agreed. can you rebuy stuff you've sold too (obviously losing money in the exchange)?

Yea merchants will always stock whatever you sold them, but yea they charge way more then they paid you for them.

Philthy

Everything I do Sten hates. It's -10 that, -10 this. Everything.

He's got about 1/4 bar left before he kicks my teeth in, has his way with Morrigan and leaves me.

Is there anything I can do to bring him back up other than his unusual preference for paintings? These are only +5 and aren't offsetting his hate for this world and everyone in it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Doytch said:
Only same price if you rebuy it in the same "exchange". Once you close the merchant window, price gets jacked up.

Ah really? Good to know.

I don't think I ever had to rebuy anything (besides accidentally selling good gear) because of that damn Warden's Keep DLC. I'm such a packrat :lol.

Philthy said:

He's got about 1/4 bar left before he kicks my teeth in, has his way with Morrigan and leaves me.

Is there anything I can do to bring him back up other than his unusual preference for paintings? These are only +5 and aren't offsetting his hate for this world and everyone in it.

Redcliffe Castle Spoilers

When you go into the Fade to save Connor, you can make a deal with the Desire Demon to get 100% affection with a party member

You can also choose to have sex with the demon, get extra skill points, and learn blood magic.

Aside from that I don't think you can really come back from such a steep hate level unless you start being an asshole or giving Sten a lot of gifts.

Kingpen said:
I still have this in plastic... I'm not the biggest RPG guy around, but have played some. I am really drawn to the theme in this game (I love fantasy, LOTR, medieval, etc).

I also did play KOTOR on the xbox and did like it back in the day. I am primarily a 1p guy (no xbox live), but I don't really care if this game was 12 hours or 60.

However, I'm getting cold feet on this due to impressions of how the 360 port is really not that good. I think most of these are based on the graphics not being as good as the PC version, or even compared to something such as Mass Effect. I've also seen stuff related to control issues...

I'm getting ready to offload this for credit to pick up another recently released game... Am I making a big mistake? I don't have any means to play this on PC or ps3

If you liked KOTOR you'll be fine with it. The 360 graphics aren't that good, but the game still is. Definitely get it.

Got this on PC.

Enjoying it, but...

I've been having major WoW cravings lately, and all this does is make me want to get back into WoW. I associate this kind of gameplay with MMOs, and without the multiplayer component, it just feels kind of hollow to me.

So basically, I'm a scrub who doesn't have much experience with WRPGS and I'm not sure if I'm enjoying Dragon Age or not.

Also, I'm finding the visuals pretty unappealing.

I'll keep going though.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Mashing said:
Regarding the Asunder quest:
Okay, so I gather all three body parts, brought them to the altar and quicksaved my game. I selected "reward" and he gave me 25g and disappeared. I reloaded my quicksave and this time I killed the fade spirit. However, I got no loot off him and no other reward, but the quest was listed as completed in my Journal. I mean it seem really lame to give evil characters 25g and good characters nothing for doing the right thing and killing this beast
. With spoiling anything, is there something I'm missing. Will something happen later in the game?

I did the exact same thing and was wondering the exact same thing. So far I've not gotten a definitive answer to it. I reloaded and killed the thing and was expecting to loot something good from it but got nothing. I'm not hurting for money since I'm a Rogue but it would have been nice if you got something for your trouble.

So far, it seems going the evil side of it (letting it live) is the way to go because you get something out of it.

~B.B.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
civilstrife said:
Got this on PC.

Enjoying it, but...

I've been having major WoW cravings lately, and all this does is make me want to get back into WoW. I associate this kind of gameplay with MMOs, and without the multiplayer component, it just feels kind of hollow to me.
don't WoW people say this about every game/activity other than WoW? :lol

Pankaks said:
Redcliffe Castle Spoilers

You can also choose to have sex with the demon, get extra skill points, and learn blood magic.

Are there more than one encounters with this enemy? During my quest,
I already killed her in the area where she had hypnotized the knight and acting as his wife.

Pancakes

MirageDwarf said:
Are there more than one encounters with this enemy? During my quest,
I already killed her in the area where she had hypnotized the knight and acting as his wife.

Yes there are but, I'm almost certain that only this particular Demon (The one controlling Connor) can give you anything tangible. The one hypnotizing the Templar in the tower doesn't give you anything for letting her go, I already tried :(.

Willectro

Banned
Morrigan quest spoilers:

I found the Black Grimore to start the Morrigan quest to kill Flemeth. I only have myself (Noble Dwarf Warrior, sword and shield specs, lvl 14), Shale, Alistar, and Morrigan (who cannot participate in killing Flemeth). Definitely wish I had of got my trapping maxed out (apparently you can place traps to kill Flemeth when she turns into a Dragon and when she lands she gets owned, kinda hax but still :lol. I have to find another character... hopefully a healer in the mean time.

Anyone else encounter this?

Pankaks said:
Yes there are but, I'm almost certain that only this particular Demon (The one controlling Connor) can give you anything tangible. The one hypnotizing the Templar in the tower doesn't give you anything for letting her go, I already tried :(.

Oh got it. I thought it was a boss so there was only one instance and I was fighting with same one who was in Redcliffe castle. May be it is a boss but you fight normal version of it before final encounter. I have yet to clear Fade.

Dizzy-4U

Finished the game yesterday (48 hs). Pretty satisfying ending and GOTY contender imo. I'm gonna give it a second playthrough in a couple of weeks.

The game has the longest credits I've ever seen in any media. Like 15/20 minutes of credits.

So, about the ending:
Morrigan is going to use her son/daughter to transfer her soul into him/her like Flemeth did. That's the idea, right? I can already see Morrigan in every Dragon Age sequels no matter the time period.

Also, Otto was such a cool character (the blind templar). Shame I couldn't recruit him =/

Anso

Dizzy-4U said:
Morrigan is going to use her son/daughter to transfer her soul into him/her like Flemeth did. That's the idea, right? I can already see Morrigan in every Dragon Age sequels no matter the time period.

I approve of this. There can never be enough.

Drek

Also just wanted to give a Low spec system HOORAH! for my laptop in this thread.

I have an Acer Aspire with an Athlon 2.1Ghz dual core, 4GB memory, and an integrated Radeon HD 3200.

I'm running DA at medium settings, 1366x768 resolution. While the framerate has a few hick-ups here and there (mostly when there is a lot of volumetric fog or something of the sort) it runs above 30 FPS consistently and is very playable.

Dragon Age on a $400 laptop. :D

Fredescu

will52 said:
Morrigan quest spoilers:

I found the Black Grimore to start the Morrigan quest to kill Flemeth. I only have myself (Noble Dwarf Warrior, sword and shield specs, lvl 14), Shale, Alistar, and Morrigan (who cannot participate in killing Flemeth). Definitely wish I had of got my trapping maxed out (apparently you can place traps to kill Flemeth when she turns into a Dragon and when she lands she gets owned, kinda hax but still :lol. I have to find another character... hopefully a healer in the mean time.

What are you asking exactly? You can do that quest at any time, so if you're not happy with your party makeup you can wait. Isn't the Grimoire found in the circle of magi though? Did you
kill wynne? If so, you won't get another healer. You might have to spec Morrigan for that task.
How are you level 14 with only three party members? You must be murderous.

civilstrife said:
I associate this kind of gameplay with MMOs, and without the multiplayer component, it just feels kind of hollow to me.
Which MMO lets you control four characters at once without multiboxing?

Sir Fragula said:
Thoughts for DLC: Adding Qunari as an option for the player's race, along with origin stories.
They're supposed to be rare and you're character answering everything with one or two words could get old lol

I'd rather have an orlesian origin

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dizzy-4U said:
So, about the ending:

I'm curious as to whether
she still makes the offer if you never do the side quest for the grimoire. Makes me wonder if she'd known about it all along, just that flemeth wasn't going to do it to her. Also tho, if the Child's an old god, I can't imagine he/she/it wouldn't have the power to repel her mental takeover.....

I suppose we'll see.

Ventrue

Metroidvania said:
I'm curious as to whether
she still makes the offer if you never do the side quest for the grimoire. Makes me wonder if she'd known about it all along, just that flemeth wasn't going to do it to her. Also tho, if the Child's an old god, I can't imagine he/she/it wouldn't have the power to repel her mental takeover.....

I suppose we'll see.

If you want to know the answer to that (about Morrigan ending):
She does. In fact, if you are not male or you refuse her, (additional spoiler) she will ask you to convince Alistair to do it instead.

I'm just going to leave this here.

300a0wg.jpg

Philthy said:

It's funny, everything I say and do gets me +6-10 with Sten with no effort at trying to be nice to him at
all, actually I'm usually confrontational...

I'm a elven Mage female if that makes a difference

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
AstroLad said:
don't WoW people say this about every game/activity other than WoW? :lol

Honestly, this is how I feel about almost any single player game. They are hard for me to get through.

Pankaks said:
Friend (who I randomly gave the decision on what to do) advised me to kill the latter, almost wiped, god bless Alastair, pulled through by the hair on his teeth.

will52 said:
Morrigan quest spoilers:

I took my dog with me for that quest. I died during the fight and Mangy (my dog) ended up owning the beast. Pretty bad ass

Playing 360 version. About 40 hours in and now every other enemy I kill just stands there. Sometimes my party simply attacks them instead of the waves of other live enemies. Sometimes I have to stand around for minutes to get them to finally drop so I can get loot.

Never had bug problems with Mass Effect.
Never had bug problems with Fallout 3.

This sucks.

Anso

robut said:
Playing 360 version. About 40 hours in and now every other enemy I kill just stands there. Sometimes my party simply attacks them instead of the waves of other live enemies. Sometimes I have to stand around for minutes to get them to finally drop so I can get loot.

This sucks.

The only similar thing I've had is quests and similar taking a while to "trigger". For example in
the fade when you're in the tower, the character's responses can take a while to trigger after killing the enemies in their dream.
Overall I've seen a bit of "delay" in triggers during my 73 hours of Dragon Age 360 but nothing as serious as what you're mentioning, the enemies always die like they should.

robut said:

This sucks.

Yeah, I've had this problem too. It often occurs after waking nightmare has been cast, but other times it just does it on its own. It is really annoying.

robut said:

This sucks.
I've had this problem but it hasn't affected the game too adversely as of yet

Fredescu

A friend of mine said he managed to do the circle of magi boss fight before going into the Fade. He's fairly sure that the Fade is entirely skippable because of this. Did anyone try this? Not that you'd want to skip it because of all the stat bonuses , but the thought didn't occur to me at all.

Arde5643

Respecced Oghren as a dual wielding warrior berserker/champion.

Berserked Oghren does Warcry to knock down enemies around him followed by flurry -> dual handed sweep -> momentum - few enemies live to even do any special moves.

My favorite was Oghren having 3 enemies clustered in front of him and my main rogue behind the enemies in backstab position -> both of us did dual sweep at the same time.
2 enemies died right away and the one living only has 5% left. :lol

Of course, there's also the respecced Wynn, who becomes the goddess of CC -> force field on bosses while the fighters and rogues kill the white and yellow mobs in a matter of seconds, and sleep/waking nightmare when the white/yellow mobs crowd my taunting dwarf.

She does diddly shit for damage, but goddamn does she control the field so easily. Forcefield is such an OP spell (even when you don't cheese with it).

Assasin/bard line is also pretty sweet - combo the song of courage (high cunning is so very sweet) with mark of death/assasin backstab bonus/lethality/momentum and bosses go down quick.

Fredescu said:
A friend of mine said he managed to do the circle of magi boss fight before going into the Fade. He's fairly sure that the Fade is entirely skippable because of this. Did anyone try this? Not that you'd want to skip it because of all the stat bonuses , but the thought didn't occur to me at all.

Unless his game glitched I don't think that's possible.
As soon as you enter that room the sloth demon has you. There's no way around the room and there's no actions to choose to get you of the sloth demons control.

Fredescu

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Unless his game glitched I don't think that's possible.
As soon as you enter that room the sloth demon has you. There's no way around the room and there's no actions to choose to get you of the sloth demons control.
Yeah, I thought the
sloth demon automatically spoke to you, but I wasn't sure. I guess it just bugged out for him.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Respecced Oghren as a dual wielding warrior berserker/champion.

Berserked Oghren does Warcry to knock down enemies around him followed by flurry -> dual handed sweep -> momentum - few enemies live to even do any special moves.
Yeah, my main was dualwield zerk/champ on my 2nd playthrough and was badass. I think finesse and dex bonus to defense might be a bit overpowered, especially considering it is stacked on a warrior class who could be wielding 2 longswords with 3 grand master runes each. :D

1st playthrough on normal each revenant fight required a good deal of healing, potion and spell with rogue main. 2nd playthrough on hard with dual wield warrior and I didn't have to heal on the revenant fights, the revenants died too quick.

Varna

Anyone experiencing a lot of freezing and crashing? It's pretty random but it is happening quiet often. My system meets all the recommended specs and my temps are very safe. PC version.

Doytch

One of the cool things about the respec mod is being able to use team members in different roles. Gonna use Oghren instead of Alistair as a tank, and Zhevran instead of Leliana as ranged in my second run through with my dual-wield warrior.

bengraven

Orzammar is bugged.

I cannot proceed anywhere. I've talked to every single NPC and have entered that "slums house" after every loop through NPCs and I still can't get that fingerbone amulet to open the "suspicious door".

Sascha23

Banned
Philthy said:

:lol So true.

I opted for Shale, Alistair and Wynne in my party. They seem to all approve of my decisions and Shale provides the backhanded vibe I demand, while Alistair cover the comedic aspect of it all.

Morrigan hated on everything I did too.

Arde5643

Woo-Fu said:
Yeah, my main was dualwield zerk/champ on my 2nd playthrough and was badass. I think finesse and dex bonus to defense might be a bit overpowered, especially considering it is stacked on a warrior class who could be wielding 2 longswords with 3 grand master runes each. :D

1st playthrough on normal each revenant fight required a good deal of healing, potion and spell with rogue main. 2nd playthrough on hard with dual wield warrior and I didn't have to heal on the revenant fights, the revenants died too quick.
If you're going for a combat rogue, don't skimp on dex.

And if you don't have a warrior to tank (which you shouldn't do), your combat rogue should take the duelist/bard route instead of assasin/bard.

Duelists get a very nice attack/defense bonus and stacked with bard's song of courage combined with heroic offense/heroic defense as well as rally (if you have warrior) and you get an almost non-missing/non-hittable rogue.

Of course this forces you to take the dex/cun route instead of dex/str, so either get dagger/dagger or axe/dagger dual wielding for your rogue (dagger/dagger does more damage in the long run due to speed and crits, but axe/dagger kills white mobs faster).
Don't take dual wielding expertise/mastery since they're pretty useless for your dex/cun rogue (daggers have very good crit, attack faster (so no need for mastery), and you need good str to take advantage of dual wielding mastery).

The damage you gained from combat stealth + lethality + momentum + song of courage (w/ high cunning) offweighs advantages gained from dual wielding expertise/mastery (w/ high strength).

Dex/cun rogues should always get bard skills - the atk+damage bonuses you get from very high cunning is too damn good to miss out especially with momentum+lethality on.

Top Bottom