• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
StateofMind said:
Plus, PC games always seem to be too crisp to the point that they remind me that I'm on PC. That probably sounds silly but there's something about the sharpness of PC games that throws me off and completely ruins the immersion.
Sounds much worse than silly, but let's just pretend you didn't say something this out there.

Boss Man

K.Jack said:
Sounds much worse than silly, but let's just pretend you didn't say something this out there.
The terms may be incorrect. There's a certain quality to PC games that I can't get around. I said sharp, but I guess jagged would be more correct. Dragon Age is actually one of the best (IMO) looking PC games that I've seen. Obviously Crysis is amazing, but even with it there are certain ...pointy? textures or something. I'm not pretending to be objective here, it's just personal taste.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
StateofMind said:
The terms may be incorrect. There's a certain quality to PC games that I can't get around. I said sharp, but I guess jagged would be more correct. Dragon Age is actually one of the best (IMO) looking PC games that I've seen. Obviously Crysis is amazing, but even with it there are certain ...pointy? textures or something. I'm not pretending to be objective here, it's just personal taste.
So...up the resolution or AA?

PC games are anything but jaggy.

Doytch

StateofMind said:
I know what you're trying to say, I've heard people mention it before. PC games appear crisper because they run at a higher resolution than console games. Console stuff is rendered at 720p (if you're lucky and it's not 540p or 6-something-p), whereas most people's monitors have 1050 or 1080 or 1200 vertical lines. Like, four times the pixels. Some people get used to muddy edges and low textures, so they start preferring it.

Boss Man

Doytch said:
I know what you're trying to say, I've heard people mention it before. PC games appear crisper because they run at a higher resolution than console games. Console stuff is rendered at 720p (if you're lucky and it's not 540p or 6-something-p), whereas most people's monitors have 1050 or 1080 or 1200 vertical lines. Like, four times the pixels. Some people get used to muddy edges and low textures, so they start preferring it.
That's it, thanks. Console games are a bit blurrier and so more forgiving on imperfections. At least that's how I see it.

PC is superior in a technical sense, no argument. Aesthetically though, I guess they look more like games than console games do to me. Because you can see what's right and what's wrong more clearly.

iammeiam

Beat the game yesterday as a human mage, then started a Dwarf Noble rouge replay. Did my first play-through as 'good', and am doing the second as 'as evil as I can possibly get away with.'

Are there any tips for getting Sten's approval rating up? By the end of the first playthrough, he and Allistair were the only party members who didn't have super-high approval ratings, so I intend to focus on activating their bonus questlines this go-round if possible. Allistair probably just involves not dumping him for Shale immediately, but I could never find anything to give Sten that he seemed to care about.

Does the approval rating factor in in anything besides romance? I was sort of surprised when, at the Landsmeet,
Allistair got all pissy and stormed off in a huff when I wouldn't let him kill Loghain, taking most of my best armor with him.
Trying to figure out if he would have been less melodramatic had he liked my character more.

I do have to give Bioware massive amounts of credit for the dwarf noble backstory; during my initial playthrough of the game, evidence seemed to make it painfully obvious which of the two choices for king was the 'good' one. After playing through the origin story, though,
it's harder to hate Bhalen for killing/framing his siblings, since that was sort of the entire family dynamic. It is going to be weird backing him for king this time through, though, since this time he framed my character directly.

Chris R

Does anyone know if there is a group trying to add in voiced player dialog? It is basically the only gripe I have about the game so far.

Fredescu

iammeiam said:
Are there any tips for getting Sten's approval rating up?
Paintings
. I don't know why just yet. Also, be frank with him when he talks to you.

iammeiam said:
Does the approval rating factor in in anything besides romance?
I don't think that particular incident would have changed based on approval ratings. BFF or not, he hates you if you do that. On top of the stat bonuses at each approval level, there are different
random soundbites when you select your character
, which I actually found quite cool. I have to admit to smiling when I first heard
Leliana say "hello friend" in a sweet voice, after having her in the party for ages and never hearing that.
Also the first time around, I was a nice guy and had Alistairs approval quite high, so I have to admit I didn't fully understand what people meant when they called him whiny. This time around my rogue is an arsehole, which sends Alistairs approval rating down. I was actually shocked when I
selected him to move him and he said Do this, do that in a pouty voice. No I'm starting to see the whiny side of Alistair, which is a side I didn't see much of the first time around
. (none of those are story spoilers, but the character interactions are the best parts of the game imo.).

nataku

So I'm doing the quest Skin Deep, and I'm two corpse galls short for the bonus reward (requires 18 corpse galls). I've finished all the main quests for each race, and I have no idea where there might be more undead.

Right now I'm at the landsmeet. Should I just say screw it and turn it in? Or are there a bunch of undead coming up that would get me my last two?

It's really annoying I can't just select what quests I want to turn in, because I have a bunch already done that I want to get the rewards for, but I can't turn them in because it'll turn in skin deep with only 9 corpse galls too.

nataku said:
So I'm doing the quest Skin Deep, and I'm two corpse galls short for the bonus reward (requires 18 corpse galls). I've finished all the main quests for each race, and I have no idea where there might be more undead.

Right now I'm at the landsmeet. Should I just say screw it and turn it in? Or are there a bunch of undead coming up that would get me my last two?

It's really annoying I can't just select what quests I want to turn in, because I have a bunch already done that I want to get the rewards for, but I can't turn them in because it'll turn in skin deep with only 9 corpse galls too.

Once you finish Landsmeet and go to Redcliffe Village, you won't be able to turn in any sidequests.

So you should finish all the sidequests before finishing Landsmeet IMO.

codecow

Finished this bugger today, ~39h playtime on normal on PC. I enjoyed it a lot but I have to say that finishing it and then firing up MW2 and firing off my first shots felt really good. 39h is a long time to spend on a non-online/persistent title.

iammeiam

Real Time Cutscenes = Accidental Hilarity

Since completing the initial main quests at Ostagar
results in the two redshirts of your party dying, I stripped them of their posessions and sold them all to the quartermaster prior to returning to Duncan, to better fund my backpack purchases. Only now I'm at the Joining cutscene and watching them die dramatically wearing only their underware. Although apparently Jory had a spare sword somewhere, because he has one even though I'd already sold his.
Immature, but unexpected enough that it made me laugh.

Fredescu said:
Paintings
. I don't know why just yet. Also, be frank with him when he talks to you.

Ooh, thanks. I can't remember what I did with those the first time through, but I'll make sure he ends up with them. There's obviously something going on with him, but between the inability to bribe him and his getting irritated at my character for being simultaneously female and a combatant, I wound up ignoring him most of the time.

Giard

Sorry, this must have been asked a ton of times, but is the 360 version worth it? it's 40 bucks tomorrow only. I'd be happy with it being playable, don't really care if it's inferior to the PC version. The Eurogamer review (for the 360 version) kinda scared me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Giard said:
Sorry, this must have been asked a ton of times, but is the 360 version worth it? it's 40 bucks tomorrow only. I'd be happy with it being playable, don't really care if it's inferior to the PC version. The Eurogamer review (for the 360 version) kinda scared me.

Yes.
It's most definitely playable, as many have pointed it's inferior to the PC version but in my opinion it's still as functional on consoles as any other Bioware game. I'm playing the PS3 version, by the way, I bought it at $60 and it was worth it. Just do it, son.

Giard

Snuggler said:
Yes.
It's most definitely playable, as many have pointed it's inferior to the PC version but in my opinion it's still as functional on consoles as any other Bioware game. I'm playing the PS3 version, by the way, I bought it at $60 and it was worth it. Just do it, son.
Thanks! :D
Watched the GameTrailers comparaison, and it doesn't look as bad as everyone says.

Dipper145

iammeiam said:
results in the two redshirts of your party dying, I stripped them of their posessions and sold them all to the quartermaster prior to returning to Duncan, to better fund my backpack purchases. Only now I'm at the Joining cutscene and watching them die dramatically wearing only their underware. Although apparently Jory had a spare sword somewhere, because he has one even though I'd already sold his.
:lol I did that too on my second time through.

Fredescu

Giard said:
The Eurogamer reviewer hated the story and the world and that coloured the rest of his experience so negatively that he was seemingly unable to appreciate the games two strongest points: the combat and the characters. Statistically Eurogamer and Edge are outliers in a sea of largely positive reviews. Plenty of people here have really enjoyed the 360 version, so there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it.

If it looks like the kind of game you will enjoy, and you can forgive a world and story that's a bit 'by the book' to experience a great combat system and humorous characters, you should check it out.

itxaka

Defeatist
So I got the Digital deluxe edition from the EA store and downloaded it. It did download the BSO (Pretty awesome BTW) and some wallpapers but no other DLC.

Isn't it supposed to download it automatically? Or is it already in the game? On the DLC in-game page only the stone warden DLC appears to buy, I don't have any other option or anything that appears as downloaded/installed.

Thanks!

MMaRsu

How do I change my party members in the 360 version? I want to take Alistairs clothes and give them to Sten or whatever his name is.

Fredescu

ShadowPampers said:
Every party member has a quest associated?
Yep. Some of them are quite short though. Like Alistairs.

itxaka said:
Isn't it supposed to download it automatically? Or is it already in the game?
You should get some codes that you redeem on the Bioware site against your Bioware login. You then login to the game with that and it should appear. I don't know how you get the codes through the EA store though. Perhaps they email them.

Ventrue

iammeiam said:
Real Time Cutscenes = Accidental Hilarity

You get the stuff anyway, but that is hilarious.

jabipun

Hey guys, I know it's going to be hard to answer this question with out pulling out a shit-ton of spoilers, (and try not to) - like, just say where I need to go and how - not so much what it entails in terms of story surrounding it.

but how do you activate Sten's, Wynn's, dwarf's (forgot his name), and Zefran (sp?)'s personal quests?

I did Morrigons, Allistairs, and Luciana's.

PS: I don't think I'll be able to replay this game - so I'm trying to do a big - one time play through. I start my next quarter in med school next week - and I'm not bringing my 360 with me (obviously).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am doing the Elves quest right now before Landsmeet I guess. Been playing little by little, life is in the way =P

Has anyone else had any problems hearing the dialogue in cut scenes? I feel like I can't really play because I can't hear any of the dialogue. I am running through boot camp I don't know if that could be causing problems but I can't even get the music in the game to be loud.

Doytch

jabipun said:
Hey guys, I know it's going to be hard to answer this question with out pulling out a shit-ton of spoilers, (and try not to) - like, just say where I need to go and how - not so much what it entails in terms of story surrounding it.

but how do you activate Sten's, Wynn's, dwarf's (forgot his name), and Zefran (sp?)'s personal quests?

I did Morrigons, Allistairs, and Luciana's.

PS: I don't think I'll be able to replay this game - so I'm trying to do a big - one time play through. I start my next quarter in med school next week - and I'm not bringing my 360 with me (obviously).
For Shale, have him in your party at the end of the Orzammer quest line - in the Deep Roads. Wynne I got randomly, at the end of a random encounter, something happens to her.

jabipun

Doytch said:
For Shale, have him in your party at the end of the Orzammer quest line - in the Deep Roads. Wynne I got randomly, at the end of a random encounter, something happens to her.

Oh, I also did Shale's.

Dammit, that means I'm going to have to start using Wynne.

Doytch said:

it's like someone saying they prefer VHS or youtube quality video to DVD or bluray. if you want console quality visuals just run the game in a resolution lower than the native res on your monitor/tv... blur galore.

Nemesis_

chandoog said:
You need to spark up conversations with her about
her past as a minstrel, which is iirc asking her what she was doing in the Lothering Chantry, then talk to her about minstrels being spies, then exit the camp and the next time you enter she will talk to you about lying before (this requires a medium-high affinity) and the next time you travel on the map you should get the random encounter

I did all that as soon as I met her. Now all she'll talk about is how she wants to retell these stories about Flemeth and some other random topics.

>_>

Doytch

Has anyone else had any problems hearing the dialogue in cut scenes? I feel like I can't really play because I can't hear any of the dialogue. I am running through boot camp I don't know if that could be causing problems but I can't even get the music in the game to be loud.
Turn down the SFX, turn up everything else...?

fizzelopeguss said:
it's like someone saying they prefer VHS or youtube quality video to DVD or bluray. if you want console quality visuals just run the game in a resolution lower than the native res on your monitor/tv... blur galore.
I know, I personally think it's stupid, but if you're used to something and really don't want to change, then do what you will. Not hurting me.

Nemesis556 said:
I did all that as soon as I met her. Now all she'll talk about is how she wants to retell these stories about Flemeth and some other random topics.

>_>

Have you had the conversation about why she had to leave her home?

Guys, I read in one of the forums that you will not be able to do any more 'Side Quests' after you start 'The Landsmeet'. I am doing the main quest for now, so that I can do and finish all the side quests at once later. I just want to make sure that I complete most of the side quests before I can't do them any more.

36 hours in the game so far!

Doytch

sweetvar26 said:
Guys, I read in one of the forums that you will not be able to do any more 'Side Quests' after you start 'The Landsmeet'. I am doing the main quest for now, so that I can do and finish all the side quests at once later. I just want to make sure that I complete most of the side quests before I can't do them any more.

36 hours in the game so far!
Pretty sure the point of no return starts when it forces Alistair into your party for a meeting. Though to be safe, just do them after you get all the armies and before you go back to Redcliffe to call the Landsmeet.

I just started as a dalish elf and have just meet Morrigan. My eyes almost rolled out of the back of my head. I mean jesus, why are so many rpgs this juvenile?

Fun game though.

I'm a elven mage... tonight, after about one week of nothing but dying (only playing 3 times), I FINALLY killed the 1st ogre boss and am now in Lotherin. At first, the "tactics" screen intimidated the fuck out of me (and I'm no stranger to RPGs), but after dying so often with the ogre, you figure that shit out quick. Loving the game after getting past that hurdle. I look forward to the inevitably more difficult hurdles.

prateeko

So I'm about to check out with the PS3 version from Amazon's $35 Sale today but I also have the 360 version sitting in my cart. Is the PS3 the less sucky version of the game or does that honor go to the 360? I don't really care about achievements (although they are nice, I no longer decide games based on that) so I'd rather get the one that looks preeeeetier...

Mindlog

prateeko said:
So I'm about to check out with the PS3 version from Amazon's $35 Sale today but I also have the 360 version sitting in my cart. Is the PS3 the less sucky version of the game or does that honor go to the 360? I don't really care about achievements (although they are nice, I no longer decide games based on that) so I'd rather get the one that looks preeeeetier...

Pick your favorite controller.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Mindlog said:
Pick your favorite controller.

Basically this, there are very few differences between the two versions.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How do I finish Warden's Keep? I
bargained with the demon, to go wreck the Mage's Tower; went, killed Wynn, got to the top, killed Uldred...
then nothing.

What'd I miss?

Chris R

itxaka said:
So I got the Digital deluxe edition from the EA store and downloaded it. It did download the BSO (Pretty awesome BTW) and some wallpapers but no other DLC.

Isn't it supposed to download it automatically? Or is it already in the game? On the DLC in-game page only the stone warden DLC appears to buy, I don't have any other option or anything that appears as downloaded/installed.

Thanks!
Read the email they sent you. Basically you sign up on biowares site and enter the code then log in with that account in game and click on the downloadable content tab.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
StateofMind said:

What in the blue hell are you talking about, man?

Ventrue

K.Jack said:
How do I finish Warden's Keep? I
bargained with the demon, to go wreck the Mage's Tower; went, killed Wynn, got to the top, killed Uldred...
then nothing.

What'd I miss?
You mean
Avernus, not Uldred, right? You should be able to go back to the demon and talk to her.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
prateeko said:
So is there any truth to the possibility of mods available on console versions of the game?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

No.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I am doing my second run with two mages, My PC is focused around Healing,Buffing and using mana clash on mages, while I use Morrigan as crowd controller and arse kicker.

Alistair & Ohgren just sit back doing nothing. :D
Oh and doing paragon of her kind first can be tricky, but I wanted Ohgren as Sten is no way near as awesome.

Top Bottom