• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Shinjitsu

Banned
Deacan said:
I am doing my second run with two mages, My PC is focused around Healing,Buffing and using mana clash on mages, while I use Morrigan as crowd controller and arse kicker.

Alistair & Ohgren just sit back doing nothing. :D
Oh and doing paragon of her kind first can be tricky, but I wanted Ohgren as Sten is no way near as awesome.

Do what I did. Use 3 mages, then use Shale in stone aura form. Was really really fun.

Fredescu

K.Jack said:
How do I finish Warden's Keep? I
bargained with the demon, to go wreck the Mage's Tower; went, killed Wynn, got to the top, killed Uldred...
then nothing.

What'd I miss?
Wait,
killed Wynne
? I think you got your towers confused.
The demon in Warden's Keep isn't talking about the Circle of Magi, he's talking about a tower which is across from the room you meet the demon in. There's a door thats blocked until you talk to the demon. Go out that door, across a bridge to kill a bunch of dudes, and you'll find a mage called Avernus in there. Wynne and Uldred is a completely different part of the game. Killing Wynne makes the game a bit tough too, unless you spec Morrigan or yourself for healing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
prateeko said:
Went ahead with the PS3 version.

So is there any truth to the possibility of mods available on console versions of the game?
If Bioware really wanted to do it, they could. That's a no. : (

koji

K.Jack said:
How do I finish Warden's Keep? I
bargained with the demon, to go wreck the Mage's Tower; went, killed Wynn, got to the top, killed Uldred...
then nothing.

What'd I miss?

Think you got some stuff mixed up there indeed mate.

The Demon wants you to go kill the mage (Avernus) in the tower part of Wardens Keep, you have to walk through a door that unlocks after making a deal with the demon and cross a bridge, there's another Wardens Keep area there. That's also the part where you can drink the vial to get the Wardens Keep special abilities, I missed that on my first playthrough, well missed... I thought it was a trap...

prateeko said:
Went ahead with the PS3 version.

So is there any truth to the possibility of mods available on console versions of the game?

They sure can, but I am assuming they will not, so that they can avoid all the controversies.

Wallach

Blergh. The difference between mages and melee in the first sections of the game is absurd, at least as a human. Is it like this throughout the course of the game?

Fredescu

Once you have a full party you'll need to control them all anyway. At that point it makes no difference what your player character is. Some like a three mage, one melee group, others like a three melee, one mage group. I don't think it changes the difficulty so much as the style. If you're noticing a difference based on your character, it's only because you're early in the game without full resources at your disposal.

koji

Wallach said:
I'm referring to the difficulty. I'm about three hours in on each, and my mage feels like he's playing on a lower difficulty setting.

It's probably not only the class difference but also the fact that you are more experienced with the game.

Recently started a sword and board human noble and so far it feels a lot easier compared to my rogue. Will probably up the diff one more notch to nightmare when I start my mage playthrough.

Nemesis_

Leliana won't do anything anymore. Gragh this is annoying - I remember asking her about being a minstrel and such but nothing came of it because we just met - have I missed the boat? =(

Wallach

Fredescu said:
Once you have a full party you'll need to control them all anyway. At that point it makes no difference what your player character is. Some like a three mage, one melee group, others like a three melee, one mage group. I don't think it changes the difficulty so much as the style. If you're noticing a difference based on your character, it's only because you're early in the game without full resources at your disposal.

Are there enough mages to run 3 if my main is a warrior? If so I may just stick with it and do that, as he's very tank/defense built so far. It was just frustrating to play through the start with him because the party they give you for it kind of sucks compared to the mage's.

Fredescu

Wallach said:
Are there enough mages to run 3 if my main is a warrior?
There are only two mages, so you can only have a 3 mage party if you're a mage yourself. Party makeup is fairly flexible though, as long as you have your tank and healing sorted, so there's no real way to screw yourself over by choosing the "wrong" class if that's what you're worried about. If you're tossing up between the two though, you get more than enough warrior party members and only two mages, so mage is best for flexibility of group makeup.

rainking187 said:
Didn't see it mentioned here, but if you register your game on the Bioware social site before the 30th you'll get a free DLC weapon.

I already did for the 360 version but I did not get it.

kottila

I'm a completely RPG-noob, and just bought this game on the steam sale. Any tips on good mods that I should have from the start or which class to choose? I don't have that much spare time, so I'll probably only play through it once, if I can manage that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wallach said:
I'm referring to the difficulty. I'm about three hours in on each, and my mage feels like he's playing on a lower difficulty setting.

Magic is just very powerful in this game. A 3 mage party could clean up pretty much everything while hardly breaking a sweat. Then there is also the Arcane Warrior spec which is like one of the best tanking specs in the game :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
kottila said:
I'm a completely RPG-noob, and just bought this game on the steam sale. Any tips on good mods that I should have from the start or which class to choose? I don't have that much spare time, so I'll probably only play through it once, if I can manage that.

Don't bother with any mods, vanilla is great as is.

Nemesis_

Could someone explain Arcane Warrior to me? I used it on my character and he can now equip a sword, but the sword never actualy hits. >_.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Shinjitsu said:

No reason to not make it even better. Regardless of how great vanilla is, any player can benefit from a camp storage chest. Regardless of how great vanilla is, any player can benefit from 25 tactics slots from the beginning. I could go on forever with these.

As far as bother goes, he can download the mods---which are tiny---while the game is installing and drop them into the override directory when it is finished. As a pc user, I'd feel silly putting that into the "bother" column considering some of the real bothers.

kottila

Woo-Fu said:
No reason to not make it even better. Regardless of how great vanilla is, any player can benefit from a camp storage chest. Regardless of how great vanilla is, any player can benefit from 25 tactics slots from the beginning. I could go on forever with these.

As far as bother goes, he can download the mods---which are tiny---while the game is installing and drop them into the override directory when it is finished. As a pc user, I'd feel silly putting that into the "bother" column considering some of the real bothers.

but which should i download? couldn't find a decent overview. Just something about a dexterity fix

Kinan

Damn, DLC sucks. Finished wardens keep, got a nice staff and some armor. Started the game another day, went through couple of fights and only then noticed that alistar is fighting without boots and gloves. Checked - yea, all Warden's DLC items gone.
Probably something went wrong with DLC initialization at the start of the game, I dont know. Pretty annoying really.

Doytch

I'll try to keep this post up to date with nice mods I see. If you want me to include something, or think I should change the ordering, or whatever, let me know.

Gameplay Mods
Dexterity Hotfix - Fixes the way bows and daggers calculate attack bonus and damage. Must have if you've a rogue in your party. Written by the Dragon Age gameplay engineer at Bioware. (Daggers are fixed in the 1.02 retail patch, but archery is still borked)
Nightmare Plus - Fixes enemy AI, tweaks spells, adds a lyrium addiction system, delivered in a module system so you can enable/disable changes as you wish. Recommended for second/multiple playthroughs for a bit of an extra challenge.
Open Lock Spells - So you don't have to drag a rogue along in your party.

Convenience/UI Mods
Respec Mod (Potions) - Adds a raven in your camp gives you potions that refund all your attribute/talent/skill/specialization points.
Camp Storage Chest - Puts a chest in your camp site...
Detailed Tooltips - Turns stuff like "Instantly restores moderate health" to "Instantly restores (50+SP)*3 health."
Annoyance Remover - Changes the visual effects for the persistent auras to one-/two-second things.
Items Received - Tells you what item you just got

Tactics System Mods
25 Tactics Slots - Self explanatory
Advanced Tactics - Adds extra conditions for to the Tactics menu that were disabled by the devs for unknown reasons.

Graphics Mods
HD Textures - If you're barely running the game, you might have some issues with larger textures, but most people should at least give it a shot.

Item Mods
DLC Items - Adds doppelgangers for the various sundry items you get for preordering at <insert_game_store_name>
Enchant Any Weapon - Again, pretty self-explanatory; lets you enchant bows/staves. This can throw off item balance, so use it wisely....or not.
Winter Forge - Lets you craft any kind of item you want. Naturally you can bork the balance with this mod, so I'd advise against using it the first time through.

Mr YuYu

A lot of people in this thread find the game either too hard or too easy. I am about to start my first playtrough. What difficulty would you guys advise me?

I normally always play on normal. But if the normal in DA:O is anything like the normal in blue dragon then i would prefer to start my game on hard. If you guys get what i am saying :)

I like a challenge but i don't want it to be too hard either. And i am planning on starting the game as a mage.

any advice u guys can give me?

thx in advance!

JudgeN

Shinjitsu said:

No,the respec mod is fucking AWESOME, being able to get rid of morrigan shitty shapeshifter spell and put them into some heal was fantastic. It also lets me try many different builds without having to go though the game an ass ton of times :D

Naeblish

Doytch said:
:O. Click, install!

Mr YuYu said:
A lot of people in this thread find the game either too hard or too easy. I am about to start my first playtrough. What difficulty would you guys advise me?

I normally always play on normal. But if the normal in DA:O is anything like the normal in blue dragon then i would prefer to start my game on hard. If you guys get what i am saying :)

I like a challenge but i don't want it to be too hard either. And i am planning on starting the game as a mage.

any advice u guys can give me?

thx in advance!
Pc or console, and how much rpg experience? Normal on pc is very doable in my opinion.

koji

kottila said:

I'm a fan of the HD textures mod.

Zalasta

Does the respec mod let you unlock the skill achievements without multiple play-throughs? That's the only thing I'd consider using a mod for, since I don't consider Dragon Age to have great replayability.

Doytch

Zalasta said:
Does the respec mod let you unlock the skill achievements without multiple play-throughs? That's the only thing I'd consider using a mod for, since I don't consider Dragon Age to have great replayability.
Well...the achievement fires when you collect the last talent in the group, so if you just dump them all in and level up and reload, I guess you could do that. Though really, there's a mod out there that just gives you all the achievements straight up if that's all you want.

John

Doytch said:
I'll try to keep this post up to date with nice mods I see. If you want me to include something, or think I should change the ordering, or whatever, let me know.

Basic Mods that Everyone Should Install
Dexterity Hotfix - Fixes the way bows and daggers calculate attack bonus and damage. Must have if you've a rogue in your party. Written by the Dragon Age gameplay engineer at Bioware.
Camp Storage Chest - Puts a chest in your camp site...
Respec Mod (Potions) - Adds a raven in your camp gives you potions that refund all your attribute/talent/skill/specialization points.
HD Textures - If you're barely running the game, you might have some issues with larger textures, but most people should at least give it a shot.

Tactics Mods
25 Tactics Slots - Self explanatory
Extra Tactics - Adds extra conditions for to the Tactics menu that were disabled by the devs for unknown reasons.

More Esoteric Mods
Items Received - Tells you what item you just got
Enchant Any Weapon - Again, pretty self-explanatory; lets you enchant bows/staves
Winter Forge - Lets you craft any kind of item you want. Naturally you can bork the balance with this mod, so I'd advise against using it the first time through.

Extra Tactics links to this Advanced Tactics, saying it's better: http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=181

thanks, man. i was getting really frustrated with not being able to actually leave my allies to themselves, but having to pause the game every five seconds to give them new orders.

MMaRsu

Can anybody tell me how to pause the game on the 360 version and queue up an attack for different party members?

Chumly

Hey can someone tell me quick if the 360 and PS3 versions are the same? As in content and DLC????

Im assuming the graphics are pretty similar.

Paznos

Chumly said:
Hey can someone tell me quick if the 360 and PS3 versions are the same? As in content and DLC????

They're the same content/dlc wise.

Ricker

MMaRsu said:
Can anybody tell me how to pause the game on the 360 version and queue up an attack for different party members?

Hit the left trigger to bring up the radial menu,make sure it's set to correctly in the options(you need to keep the left trigger pressed for it to stay),then choose an attack or whatever with the menu,then RB to the next character...you can't queue more then once though...let go of LT.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If I buy DLC from EA's site will I be able to download it on any platform or do I have to pay for each platform I want it on. Got the PS3 version now, but I definitely want to get the PC version when I upgrade my laptop sometime next year and I don't want to buy any DLC now if it means I'll have to repurchase it for the PC version next year.

prateeko said:
I like 'em both. I guess the PS3s is lighter...

Is there a mandatory install with the PS3?
Yes.

Nemesis556 said:
Could someone explain Arcane Warrior to me? I used it on my character and he can now equip a sword, but the sword never actualy hits. >_.
Arcane Warrior allows you to use your Magic points for equipping items and determining damage hit instead of your Strength points. You'll still need to beef up your Dex points if you want to hit anything.

Chumly said:

PS3 version has better textures while the Xbox version has a more stable framerate. Content is the same for the most part (I've read a couple of times in the official forum that a couple of the items in the PS3 version have lower stats). Loading is also supposed to be faster on the Xbox version if you install it to the HDD.

HomShaBom

Banned
WTF. Its taken me around 4 hrs to get 68% of the game downloaded on Steam. Then I notice Steam magically decided to pause the download, I resume it and it's back at 0%..

Woo-Fu

Banned
HomShaBom said:
WTF. Its taken me around 4 hrs to get 68% of the game downloaded on Steam. Then I notice Steam magically decided to pause the download, I resume it and it's back at 0%..

In my experience if the steam counter resets it is a measure of how much you have left to download, not a measure of the total size. So if you have 50% downloaded and it resets, you're at 0% of the 50% you have left.

Kuraudo

Banned
I'm not far in (finding it hard to make time to play the game. Yay the weekend) and I just left camp for the first time. There's a whole load of locations open to me and no real indication of where to go first. Are they all equally balanced or is there a particular order to tackle each one on so that I don't screw myself difficulty wise (I'm relatively new to this type of RPG)?

Also I have a gold location on my map (Sulcher's Pass). Is there any significance to the colour?

Pimpbaa

I wish there were more chicks to bone. They should have had a female elf in the party not an elf ricardo montalban.

Last mission help, please.

I am on the last mission. How do i I call in the armies for support? I don't see an icon anywhere and I did donate plenty of supplies to the armies.

Kuraudo said:
I'm not far in (finding it hard to make time to play the game. Yay the weekend) and I just left camp for the first time. There's a whole load of locations open to me and no real indication of where to go first. Are they all equally balanced or is there a particular order to tackle each one on so that I don't screw myself difficulty wise (I'm relatively new to this type of RPG)?

Also I have a gold location on my map (Sulcher's Pass). Is there any significance to the colour?

Go do the Mages tower if you want a healer for your party.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kuraudo said:

The game balances itself as you level up. Some places are definitely easier as you level up and gain more skills, but for the most part there's no way you can screw yourself difficulty wise. If there's something really difficult you just can't beat, leave it alone while you explore a different part of the map and come back to it when you think you're ready :D

Gold location means its tied to DLC. Sulcher's Pass initiates The Stone Prisoner DLC quest.

Top Bottom