• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Kuraudo

Banned
Killthee said:
The game balances itself as you level up. Some places are definitely easier as you level up and gain more skills, but for the most part there's no way you can screw yourself difficulty wise. If there's something really difficult you just can't beat, leave it alone while you explore a different part of the map and come back to it when you think your ready :D

Gold location means its tied to DLC. Sulcher's Pass initiates The Stone Prisoner DLC quest.

Cool thanks.

Think I'll head to Redcliffe then. Seems like where the story was driving me.

Hung Wei Lo

blackMamba1187 said:
Last mission help, please.

I am on the last mission. How do i I call in the armies for support? I don't see an icon anywhere and I did donate plenty of supplies to the armies.

should be under the 'Advanced Menu' in the Radial dial thingy...i didn't even figure it out until my 2nd play through :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kuraudo said:
Cool thanks.

Think I'll head to Redcliffe then. Seems like where the story was driving me.
Be aware that Redcliffe has a very short section you can't back out of once you enter the town. A lot of people have posted here saying that part was difficult, but frankly I found it super easy as a lv 14 Mage on Hard. You do have the option of going back to camp after initiating this section, but if you do you won't be able to do it again. The Mage Tower also has a similar point, once your in you're locked till you finish it. Just make a save before both points in case you change your mind and want to go back. Brecilian and Orzammar allow you to go back and forth as you please. Don't know about Denerim yet.

Just picked up the game last night, I'm loving the look and feel so far. Can we change our appearance or add tattoos later in the game, or are you stuck with what you pick at the beginning? My character has a huge beard which I love but from some angles it looks glued on and it makes him look unintentionally silly.

Kuraudo

Banned
Killthee said:
Be aware that Redcliffe has a very short section you can't back out of once you enter the town. A lot of people have posted here saying that part was difficult, but frankly I found it super easy as a lv 14 Mage on Hard. You do have the option of going back to camp after initiating this section, but if you do you won't be able to do it again. The Mage Tower also has a similar point, once your in you're locked till you finish it. Just make a save before both points in case you change your mind and want to go back. Brecilian and Orzammar allow you to go back and forth as you please. Don't know about Denerim yet.

Will be careful. I generally keep multiple saves, but I can get a little complacent at times. I'll be sure to play it safe.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I was able to get past dust town. It seems that after I quit and let it rest for a few days the necessary NPC's came back so I could continue on
to kill Jarvia
. This game is really just droning on for me though. I hope something happens to rekindle the love I did have for it.

Just seems a bit repetitive. I think I might switch off using my mage most of the time and start using Shale to spice things up.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Killthee said:

Specially for the mage circle...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fredescu said:
Wait,
killed Wynne
? I think you got your towers confused.
The demon in Warden's Keep isn't talking about the Circle of Magi, he's talking about a tower which is across from the room you meet the demon in. There's a door thats blocked until you talk to the demon. Go out that door, across a bridge to kill a bunch of dudes, and you'll find a mage called Avernus in there. Wynne and Uldred is a completely different part of the game. Killing Wynne makes the game a bit tough too, unless you spec Morrigan or yourself for healing.
Oh shit. Wrong tower! :lol

Thanks.

Alucrid

Banned
I got Dragon Age today at Best Buy for $35. I was worried since it was a "door buster" but when I went at 11 am they still had twenty copies there. :lol Anyways I got the normal edition but it comes with the download code for the ME2 Blood Dragon Armor and Shale. :D Now my question is if the Shale DLC code is the same as Wardens Keep or is it completely different.

Doytch

Alucrid said:
I got Dragon Age today at Best Buy for $35. I was worried since it was a "door buster" but when I went at 11 am they still had twenty copies there. :lol Anyways I got the normal edition but it comes with the download code for the ME2 Blood Dragon Armor and Shale. :D Now my question is if the Shale DLC code is the same as Wardens Keep or is it completely different.
Different. Warden's Keep is for the digital download deluxe extravaganza.

burgerdog

Sorry for the noob questions, I bought DA:O deluxe edition from steam and I'm having a bit of trouble downloading the addon content and items that were included in the package. One more thing, does the steam version automatically apply patches as soon as they're released?

kottila

burgerdog said:
Sorry for the noob questions, I bought DA:O deluxe edition from steam and I'm having a bit of trouble downloading the addon content and items that were included in the package. One more thing, does the steam version automatically apply patches as soon as they're released?

As far as I remember, I had to go in to the bioware social site and put in the code there and then it updated in the in-game store.

Damn this game is extremely hard for someone who has no idea what they're doing. don't really know what do to with the tactics or what to do with the characters skills and equipment and I could only get so far by playing it as a real time action game (when I stopped clicking on enemies, they stopped attacking). Never done any WRPG, MMO or D&D stuff. Tried reading online, but people there are talking about DPS, aggro and other stuff I don't understand. Right now, I'm trying to light the fire in the tower with three warriors and a mage (without healing). Hopefully, I'll survive on easy long enough to get to where I can respec my party and get it right.

g23

European pre-madonna
Just got the Ps3 version for 34 bucks. How would you guys rate this game against the console version of mass effect?

Cjkorea

Just ordered the game on Amazon. I really hate the pre-order dlc shit. For those who buy the game later miss out. I would rather just play the game w/out having to buy anything extra.

so is any of the dlc a must have?

Doytch

Alucrid said:
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. It's only $7 on the XBL marketplace, so that shouldn't be too bad.
Don't expect some grand experience from Warden's Keep. Most people finish it in under an hour. I haven't boughten it.

burgerdog said:
I managed to get the content downloaded but it doesn't show up in the installed tab.
You need to go through the dragon age launcher and then go to configure. In the configure menu under the repair tab there is an option to "clear download cache". Using that solved that issue for me. Well you can give it a shot.

cjrocksforever said:
so is any of the dlc a must have?
Besides Shale? Not really. Unless you need extra storage and got the game for a console.

Cjkorea

randomlyrossy said:
Assuming you got it new, there's a code to get the Shale DLC for free in the box.

Cool.

For those with multiple playthroughs. What would you say is the most fun/effective combination of characters to start the game w/?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit did you guys see the maiden giving the Denerim soldier a blowjob in the Arl's house? :lol

EDIT: Also, I am out of camp... and I never could do it with Morrigan. I am pure fail with women it seems =P. Do I get another chance?

Doytch

cjrocksforever said:
Cool.

For those with multiple playthroughs. What would you say is the most fun/effective combination of characters to start the game w/?
Effective? I've heard three mages and a tank. I've used two mages (Wynne/Morrigan), archer (my PC) w/ dex fix and a tank (Alistair) and that was pretty great too. Honestly, if you install the dex hotfix, you can't really go wrong as long as you have one mage and one tank.

For incidental dialogue, I find Shale to be the best, along with Oghren. Shale gives you a bunch of options on how to use him also, so it could be a more interesting style with him than another melee character.

I finished 'Paragon of Her Kind'. I did everything, I will have to go back to castle and start 'The Landsmeet'. However 'Paragon of Her Kind' still stays in the quests I have to complete. It still says "Have the crown, return to Orzammar to crown her king".

Any idea if this gets completed later or is it a glitch or anything else I need to do in Orzammar?

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
sweetvar26 said:
I finished 'Paragon of Her Kind'. I did everything, I will have to go back to castle and start 'The Landsmeet'. However 'Paragon of Her Kind' still stays in the quests I have to complete. It still says "Have the crown, return to Orzammar to crown her king".

Any idea if this gets completed later or is it a glitch or anything else I need to do in Orzammar?

How did you beat the last fight when you have to fight either the dwarf chick or the golum dude. I chose to fight the chick and I've been stuck for the last two days on this fight.

Silent Death said:
How did you beat the last fight when you have to fight either the dwarf chick or the golum dude. I chose to fight the chick and I've been stuck for the last two days on this fight.

I did fight the chick as well. Any boss fight in the game, I found it easier if you actually fight the ones that are easy first. Like, try to take the ones around the chick first, and then go for her. Get the easier ones first. I did lose all my characters during that fight, I am a Dwarf Rogue, he got killed, I think I got one character left and tried to stay alive with consuming as much health as possible before I beat her.

_Xenon_

Banned
Just beat the game.

The last battle is too epic for me to handle though :( Tried 5 times and eventually passed it with casual mode.

The ending is kind of lame IMO, typical the "wait for DLC/director cut/complete version" kinda thing.

Finished the game with 360 version, the control is lame at its best. Target system is broken, battle following system is broken, cannot point & click for long distance moving, etc. Should have bought the PC version :(

my score without ending: 8/10 (NWN2 9/10)
with ending: 7/10 (NWN2 7/10, yeah, lame ass NWN2 ending FTL)

Fredescu

_Xenon_ said:
Should have bought the PC version :(

my score without ending: 8/10 (NWN2 9/10)
I sounds like you should have. DA is better than NWN2 in every possible way. It's not even close.

Unless you're counting expansions. Which you shouldn't.

_Xenon_

Banned
Fredescu said:
I sounds like you should have. DA is better than NWN2 in every possible way. It's not even close.

Unless you're counting expansions. Which you shouldn't.
Yeah :(

The control is totally fucked in some cases and the manual control mode (hold position mode) can't help much.

And I'm not even talking about textures ... there's some PS2 era armor / ground resolution texture over there

Fredescu

Your party members actually follow you around in DA. That's a nice bonus. I only had someone get stuck once. In NWN2 I think I only had someone not get stuck once. I was happy to see they improved that come MoTB.

_Xenon_

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
Don't worry about it. I got the same bug and the quest disappeared for final battle.

This game is fucking hard!

Im in the tomb of the wolfs and I keep getting raped by legions of skeletons! I must have reloaded the same bit 20 times!

Im only level 9 warrior with 2hander skills, the other grey guy with sword and board, the mage woman and the bard.

I did give up in the end and went back to the first village and beat up some bandits and stuff to get more cash for armours but yeah im rambling, this game is HARD and with only one heal spell and sod all potions it makes it worse! :lol

Oh and I have a real time juggling all my people otherwise they just auto attack like goons :/

_Xenon_

Banned
Fredescu said:
Your party members actually follow you around in DA. That's a nice bonus. I only had someone get stuck once. In NWN2 I think I only had someone not get stuck once. I was happy to see they improved that come MoTB.
In exploring mode, yes, they follow the player and even teleport if they got stuck. But in battle they definitely don't. I have run into several cases some of my men just kept fighting till death even if the player controlled one was on the other side of the map (especially in final battle against the dragon).
Johnlenham said:
Im in the tomb of the wolfs and I keep getting raped by legions of skeletons! I must have reloaded the same bit 20 times!
You gotta let your party stay in one room with hold position mode and let your tank 'pull' the mobs (kinda like playing WOW).

Fredescu

_Xenon_ said:
I have run into several cases some of my men just kept fighting till death even if the player controlled one was on the other side of the map (especially in final battle against the dragon).
There's no Select All > Move on consoles?

_Xenon_

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
Are the people that are complaining about difficulty playing on consoles?
The difficulty is fine but the lame control on console just can't let you position & move your member well.

And the targeting system simply doesn't work (worse than ME).

panda21

so finally just about to get started and cant decide which class, i get the impression that only mage can do magic at all? if you choose the warrior class can you never get any magic?

i usually like to do swords+elemental or magic rather than just magic but i dunno if you even can

Xanathus

panda21 said:
so finally just about to get started and cant decide which class, i get the impression that only mage can do magic at all? if you choose the warrior class can you never get any magic?

i usually like to do swords+elemental or magic rather than just magic but i dunno if you even can
The Mage specialization Arcane Warrior can use melee while being boosted by spell buffs but I don't recommend playing that the first time because it takes knowledge of what spells are good.

MrDaravon

_Xenon_ said:
In exploring mode, yes, they follow the player and even teleport if they got stuck. But in battle they definitely don't. I have run into several cases some of my men just kept fighting till death even if the player controlled one was on the other side of the map (especially in final battle against the dragon).

I'm about 50 hours in on 360 and I have never had that problem once. Maybe check your Tactics for the other characters? If you actually check the description on some of the overall Tactics settings there are several that involve that character not moving/attacking even when the name of the setting doesn't really imply that.

ethelred

I really never had any of the control problems on the console version that some people are complaining about. I'm serious. I'm not sure what the issue is for some folks. Between the tactics options and the ability to use the radial to point & click targets manually for them (and if the enemy is visible, you should be able to click on it easily), I really never had any issues. And I never had any issues setting up area of effect spells in third person view, either, so the lack of isometric never impacted my ability to play the game effectively. Not sure what the problem is here.

sweetvar26 said:
I can't, the assembly doors are locked now, may because the king has already been elected. Still can't get that quest completed.

It may be because of how you got to that point. Did you accept missions from both Bhelen and Harrowmont? If you try to play both sides, you'll end up getting A Paragon of Her Kind entered in your quest log twice, and only one of the two will be cleared once you're finished. The other sticks around in the log as active, but doesn't affect anything. You should still be fine to proceed further in the game.

panda21 said:

Right, only mages can use magic. But warriors and rogues can learn abilities that are basically the same as magic, except they consume stamina instead of mana and they work off different stats. Bard songs are just magic by another name.

Top Bottom