• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

MirageDwarf said:
It's a small nit-pick item that I don't like when playing games. Should have gone for autosaving without showing big message in the middle of the screen or show it somewhere in the corner. Also message is much more longer than it should be. "Saving..." should be enough.
No way. Batman does that and it's insanely easy to accidentally turn off your console while it's saving.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Heeeey, someone's created Lemmy Killmeister as their character in that Dragon Age stream. :lol

AlphaSnake

Maaaan, the Xbox 360 version's graphics look great compared to the PS3 game. And the framerate looks so freaking nice too for the 360. Damn, the PS3 version is borked. EA should've left the thing delayed until January like they wanted to.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
This stream is so boring. He just spends like 2 hours looking at his skills.

Seriously.

quaere

AlphaSnake said:
Christ, the framerate is actually beginning to get to me. In the more dense areas, not just the villages/towns, it's reaaallly choppy. I normally can't stand games with framerates like this, but I really, really like Dragon Age's gameplay and story a whole lot, so I've been a bit hooked.

But when that nasty framerate pops up, I try to move myself further away from the TV, so that I don't get a headache from the framerate (this often happens to me).
Are we talking more like 15fps or 25 fps? The former and I'm switching to 360...

LCfiner

AlphaSnake said:
Maaaan, the Xbox 360 version's graphics look great compared to the PS3 game. And the framerate looks so freaking nice too for the 360. Damn, the PS3 version is borked. EA should've left the thing delayed until January like they wanted to.

this is the first big knock against one of the console versions compared to another. you think it could possibly be due to difference in scale between environments in this 360 stream and what you’ve encountered on the PS3?

AlphaSnake

aswedc said:
Are we talking more like 15fps or 25 fps? The former and I'm switching to 360...

I'd say just around or below 20. It's low enough that it's extremely obvious.

GreekWolf

Wow... the stream chat is horrific, but that was a great moment just now. The sorceress just joined the party, and all the prepubes were howling for the streamer to strip her naked.

Random Guy 1: Take off her shirt!!
Random Guy 2: Backdoor dat ass!
Random Guy 3: DUDE! Take it all off!

***Sorceress transforms into a Giant Tarantula***

Room is silent...

Random Guy 1: Well... I don't want to have sex with her anymore.

AlphaSnake

LCfiner said:
this is the first big knock against one of the console versions compared to another. you think it could possibly be due to difference in scale between environments in this 360 stream and what you’ve encountered on the PS3?

Nope. The PS3 game is seldom stable after you begin venturing out to other parts of the game world. And the pop-up is horrific on the PS3 game, you'd imagine that with such awful pop-up, the game would AT LEAST have a stable framerate. Not to mention the textures in the PS3 game are noticeably worse too. Goddamn it, I'm just so sick of the PS3 getting shafted like this again.

Bioware and EA are a bunch of goons for releasing this - it's not optimized at all.

Ploid 3.0

AlphaSnake said:
Christ, the framerate is actually beginning to get to me. In the more dense areas, not just the villages/towns, it's reaaallly choppy. I normally can't stand games with framerates like this, but I really, really like Dragon Age's gameplay and story a whole lot, so I've been a bit hooked.

But when that nasty framerate pops up, I try to move myself further away from the TV, so that I don't get a headache from the framerate (this often happens to me).

vqk039.jpg

As good as this game seem, my finger is now hovering over the cancel trigger. Too easy + bad frame rate problems. I have to remind myself I'm getting it for a great discount. At least it's not constantly at a bad frame rate which is how I played BG2 on pc, and countless other pc games. I'm so incompatible with PC, the only games I played with a great frame rate was 2d stuff (popcap).

Edit: Just saw the above. Oh no... I now need to see how bad it is to see if I can see myself putting up with it. Demon's Souls have frame rate problems in certain areas too, especial with anti magic field up. I don't mind it in DS, maybe this will be the same.

AlphaSnake

Ploid 3.0 said:
vqk039.jpg

As good as this game seem, my finger is now hovering over the cancel trigger. Too easy + bad frame rate problems. I have to remind myself I'm getting it for a great discount. At least it's not constantly at a bad frame rate which is how I played BG2 on pc, and countless other pc games. I'm so incompatible with PC, the only games I played with a great frame rate was 2d stuff (popcap).

If you have an Xbox 360 I would run out and snap this baby up. If only a PS3, then at least rent it, and see if you can tolerate the problems.

LCfiner

AlphaSnake said:
Nope. The PS3 game is seldom stable after you begin venturing out to other parts of the game world. And the pop-up is horrific on the PS3 game, you'd imagine that with such awful pop-up, the game would AT LEAST have a stable framerate. Not to mention the textures in the PS3 game are noticeably worse too. Goddamn it, I'm just so sick of the PS3 getting shafted like this again.

Bioware and EA are a bunch of goons for releasing this - it's not optimized at all.

:( for PS3 owners. that is bad news. A lot of multi-console owners, like myself, probably just confirmed their purchase choice based on your post.

regarding the stream I’m seeing now, the conversation camera angles are still very static and basic, like Kotor and Mass Effect. I guess I was hoping for some of that new fangled “cinematic” camera work promised for ME2 to show up in Dragon Age but I guess not.

Not a big deal while playing but it’s noticeable when watching video. would’ve been a nice thing to have.

epmode

Ploid 3.0 said:
vqk039.jpg

As good as this game seem, my finger is now hovering over the cancel trigger. Too easy
Someone mentioned that the guy leveled up a bunch before returning to the main quest. He might just outlevel everything at the moment.

As for framerate problems, that's par for the course for Bioware stuff. Never really bothered me.

LCfiner

Ploid 3.0 said:
http://i28.tinypic.com/vqk039.jpg[img]

Edit: Just saw the above. Oh no... I now need to see how bad it is to see if I can see myself putting up with it. Demon's Souls have frame rate problems in certain areas too, especial with anti magic field up. I don't mind it in DS, maybe this will be the same.[/QUOTE]

Concerning the difficulty in the stream, I thought that was explained by the player being a high level and 12 hours in by the time the main story starts?

as for the framerate issues… I played Kotor and ME and loved both despite numerous tech issues. It sucks that it doesn’t seem equal between the two consoles but I would say that Bioware games have the ability to impress despite technical problems.

Heck, if the 360 version of the game is smooth and problem free, that would be the exception to the rule for Bioware console games.

epmode

LCfiner said:
regarding the stream I’m seeing now, the conversation camera angles are still very static and basic, like Kotor and Mass Effect. I guess I was hoping for some of that new fangled “cinematic” camera work promised for ME2 to show up in Dragon Age but I guess not.
It's easier to make unique animations and camera angles when you're dealing with a relatively small scope as in Mass Effect. This game supposedly dwarfs Bioware's recent stuff so you probably shouldn't expect the same care to be put into every little conversation.

AlphaSnake

LCfiner said:
:( for PS3 owners. that is bad news. A lot of multi-console owners, like myself, probably just confirmed their purchase choice based on your post.

Yeah, you know what's even worse? The hooplah horseshit Bioware guys tried to feed me at a press event in NYC months ago that 'Dragon Age has no lead platform. All of the games were developed individually, and all versions will run identically'.

I knew that was B.S. from the very start.

LCfiner

epmode said:
It's easier to make unique animations and camera angles when you're dealing with a relatively small scope as in Mass Effect. This game supposedly dwarfs Bioware's recent stuff so you probably shouldn't expect the same care to be put into every little conversation.

you have a point. there does seem to be a lot more character types and range of team members. It might be adding a lot more to the scope compared to the effort on ME2

hey, maybe for Dragon Age 2 :)

GreekWolf

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, you know what's even worse? The hooplah horseshit Bioware guys tried to feed me at a press event in NYC months ago that 'Dragon Age has no lead platform. All of the games were developed individually, and all versions will run identically'.

I knew that was B.S. from the very start.
Right, how many years are we into this gen? And people are still falling for that shtick.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Does anyone have any high quality footage of the 360 having frame rate issues? (Like the Spider Cave for the PS3 version) I would like to know,

I know, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence... but still that would cement AlphaSnake's case.

Help a multiplat-owner out!

FrankT

AlphaSnake said:

Sounds like they could have used that extra two weeks or so after all. It also sounds like they may have pushed it out just to get it day and date. I wonder if this two week thing would have made it where they would have had to add extra content to the game since I know Sony has that you have to add extra content if there is a gap. Not sure if that is 6 months or more or any gap for that matter.

ALaz502 said:
Man the framerate looks so smooth and consistent on the 360 stream.

Gives me super high hope for the PC version.

Good to hear. Seen any tearing? That was my other big worry.

Blackheim

Never thought I'd be posting on this side :p

Finally decided to go for the Deluxe Edition through Steam. I had been agonizing over where to buy it and which version for a few weeks now. Planescape: Torment and BG2 are easily Black Isle/BioWare's best games so I have great hopes for this one.

Jtyettis said:
Sounds like they could have used that extra two weeks or so after all. It also sounds like they may have pushed it out just to get it day and date. I wonder if this two week thing would have made it where they would have had to add extra content to the game since I know Sony has that you have to add extra content if there is a gap. Not sure if that is 6 months or more or any gap for that matter.

Good to hear. Seen any tearing? That was my other big worry.

Dont' see tearing in the stream whatsoever. I'm not sure if a stream would convey tearing very well though. Guess we gotta wait til it comes out.

Paznos

PS3 version sounds bad.... sigh was going to get it on the PS3, still might but I wanna see how bad it actually is if it's really bad I'll get it on the PC.

LCfiner

re: s1ayer (ugh) stream

it’s distracting how that funky hat he put on his mage character keeps disappearing in cutscenes. it’s in-engine, it should be there!

daemonarch

Neo Member
this sounds like someone commencing a rummor on bad ps3 port.

i realy cant see any difference on the 2 console versions,
in even if there is i dount it is as bad as some say it

on the steaming and video/screenshots there is no evidence of it

just buy the game for the console you want

console version are identical----> pc is far superior

Loudninja

daemonarch said:

i realy cant see any difference on the 2 console versions,
in even if there is i dount it is as bad as some say it

on the steaming and video/screenshots there is no evidence of it

just buy the game for the console you want
Well eh actually has the game though. ;)

AlphaSnake

daemonarch said:

Why would I, the owner of a giant PlayStation site, want to undermine a PS3 game? Are you dense?

Edit: Beaten. Thanks, gang.

daemonarch

Neo Member
Loudninja said:
Well eh actually has the game though. ;)

and that says anything? =)

show me comparing screenshots or vids, and ill beliave

btw almost all multi console games are better on 360 cause they are made on it an then ported, everyone knows that so its easy to start another rumor on it
and even if its true, i think everyone already is expecting it

ill still buy it for my ps3, not for choise now... cause my 360 RROD last week.... again, and it will be the damn last time

ps. i'm not calling noone liar, i just say and keep sayng that i cant see it...
and if it is not noticiable ill get the ps3 version, but if it turns to be a major fail then ill get the PC one

LCfiner

daemonarch said:
and that says anything? =)

show me comparing screenshots or vids, and ill beliave

btw almost all multi console games are better on 360 cause they are made on it an then ported, everyone knows that so its easy to start another rumor on it
and even if its true, i think everyone already is expecting it

ill still buy it for my ps3, not for choise now... cause my 360 RROD last week.... again, and it will be the damn last time

and if it is not noticiable ill get the ps3 version, but if it turns to be a major fail then ill get the PC one

hey, if you have a PC that can play this, I would just get that one and skip the console version altogether. or are you leaning closer to the minimum specs and are worried about performance?

epmode

daemonarch said:
You have a PC that can run it? This should be an easy choice.

Fredescu

daemonarch said:
I tell you what will be noticeable, the gulf between the PC version and either console version. I really don't understand not buying this for PC if you can run it. Couch/Big TV is no excuse as that can be easily rectified.

Jigsaw

Banned
the german gamepro even gave the ps3 version a lower score (87% for 360,86% for ps3) which they only do when a version sucks

not buying then,good work bioware

Top Bottom