• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Console hard = PC Normal, isn't it?

"I love how all the people talking crap a few months ago are now getting the game and are hyped."

Not sure this is :lol worthy. Bioware released a steady stream of garbage marketing, once sites started releasing gameplay footage everyone remembered that there was, in fact, a potentially not shitty game behind the bombardment of awful THIS IS THE NEW SHIT promotional material.

Acidote

Teknopathetic said:

It looks more like Console hard = something between PC easy and normal. And I'm not exagerating, though I find it ridiculous. It just doesn't demands you to set any special strategy at all during encounters. Not to pause the game for a moment either to set the actions.

"now thats just trolling my friend!"

No, IIRC, console normal difficulty has 0 friendly fire, where as PC normal difficulty is 50%. I'm assuming Console hard difficulty has 50% friendly fire compared to PC's 100%. (Obviously setting aside other factors that make up difficulty.)

syllogism

Acidote said:
It looks more like Console hard = something between PC easy and normal. And I'm not exagerating, though I find it ridiculous. It just doesn't demands you to set any special strategy at all during encounters.
Have you ever played Baldur's Gate or any Bioware rpg really

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Teknopathetic said:

"I love how all the people talking crap a few months ago are now getting the game and are hyped."

Not sure this is :lol worthy. Bioware released a steady stream of garbage marketing, once sites started releasing gameplay footage everyone remembered that there was, in fact, a potentially not shitty game behind the bombardment of awful THIS IS THE NEW SHIT promotional material.
Rock music, blood, and Boobs!

God the marketing campaign for this game was horrible.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It seems the console version is much easier. Not only is dude rushing into fights Kojack style, but he has a friendly mage setting him on fire like every fight. In the Giantbomb quick look on PC, he played though that same area on normal and it looked MUCH more difficult.

Acidote

syllogism said:
Have you ever played Baldur's Gate or any Bioware rpg really

Never finished BG1, but finished BG2 and NWN1 if that counts, and played a bit of Icewind.
On the "new games", I finished KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect.

And from what I've seen in the stream, It looks like this game is something in between in terms of gameplay. Although I've also seen some vids of the PC version with the classic isometrical view and who knows, there might be differents ways on how you might want to play the game.

Durante

ALaz502 said:
:lol I love how all the people talking crap a few months ago are now getting the game and are hyped.
Amazing, people change their mind when new information becomes available!

(Actually, that is amazing. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it should in the real world)

JayDubya

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

It does seem that they have effected two major changes, though only one will probably have a significant difficulty reduction factor: the friendly fire is present earlier / set higher on the PC at comparable difficulty settings.

The other change is easier to manage, and they have stated, more or less, their formula. This one is the change in badguy makeup. Fewer large swarms, stronger individual monsters. It's basically like a DM tailoring an encounter for his players - you can have a 500 xp encounter with 10 monsters or with 2.

If this plays out as explained, this won't be a reduction in difficulty as much as it is a reduction in variety.

I do wonder how that material played outside the market of... well, us.

syllogism

Acidote said:
Never finished BG1, but finished BG2 and NWN1 if that counts, and played a bit of Icewind.
On the "new games", I finished KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect.

And from what I've seen in the stream, It looks like this game is something in between in terms of gameplay. Although I've also seen some vids of the PC version with the classic isometrical view and who knows, there might be differents ways on how you might want to play the game.
My point is, most encounters, especially early on, in all Bioware games are trivial on pretty much any difficulty and I imagine on 360 it's even more apparent. You aren't supposed to be challenged really when fighting rats or the equivalent.

Durante said:
Amazing, people change their mind when new information becomes available!

(Actually, that is amazing. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it should in the real world)

Man, those people were SO adamant that there is no way in hell that this game was going to be worth a crap. They had zero hope for it...zero faith.

I am too glad they have seen the light. This game is going to be fantastic.

JayDubya

Banned
syllogism said:
My point is, most encounters, especially early on, in all Bioware games are trivial on pretty much any difficulty and I imagine on 360 it's even more apparent. You aren't supposed to be challenged really when fighting rats or the equivalent.

Not so.

That first wolf outside Candlekeep in Baldur's Gate can really clean your clock. :lol

Acidote

syllogism said:
My point is, most encounters, especially early on, in all Bioware games are trivial on pretty much any difficulty and I imagine on 360 it's even more apparent.

Well, that's right, you have a point there on most Bioware games.

The thing is that the same encounter that looked so hard in the PC version looked like a piece of cake on the stream. Maybe the players are making a big difference too.

Naeblish

ALaz502 said:
Man the framerate looks so smooth and consistent on the 360 stream.

Gives me super high hope for the PC version.
PC version could have come out much earlier if not for the release for consoles, it should be very optimized by now.

Durante

syllogism said:
I just posted in another thread about how some people dislike BG1 because every single encounter can wipe out your party in the beginning unless you're careful.

lastscapegoat

Neo Member
That really sucks that the 360 version leaked. However, I've been looking forward to this game since E3 last year, and that stream has done nothing but add to my excitement. Can't wait! :D

Acidote

Oh god, he just killed the ogre so easily, that is a HUGE difference. Ok I've seen enough, don't want to spoil myself anymore.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Holy shit I didn't know they had finisher animations.
Alister just jumped up on that ogre and stabbed him in the face 3 times :eek:

Ploid 3.0

I hope the difficulty ramp up. If not I'll try max difficulty when I get it. Maybe for the console they started off very forgiving to ease people into the game. Master Race probably go in tough as nails. After Demon's Souls I'm into getting the crap beat out of me. RPG brutality addiction.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That was on Nightmare? Terrible. In the GB quicklook regular enemies were taking out chunks of HP per hit on normal.

Dipper145

I'm watching this stream, if anyone else decides to be sure to turn off that awful chat. I hope none of you are in that, because it's just embarrassing the things people are saying.

Jayge

_tetsuo_ said:
That was on Nightmare? Terrible. In the GB quicklook regular enemies were taking out chunks of HP per hit on normal.
PC version vs. 360 version, I guess. I can't believe that was on nightmare. Someone in the JTV chat was trying to tell me they *didn't* dumb it down at all :lol (I'm not so sure that was nightmare.)

Geoff9920

Jayge said:
PC version vs. 360 version, I guess. I can't believe that was on nightmare. Someone in the JTV chat was trying to tell me they *didn't* dumb it down at all :lol (I'm not so sure that was nightmare.)
I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't watch him change it during the stream.

Minsc

Gold Member
ALaz502 said:
:lol I love how all the people talking crap a few months ago are now getting the game and are hyped.

Eh, most of us were just responding to what we were seeing. You're incredibly one-sided here if you believe there was much reason to be optimistic prior to a few weeks.

Jayge

Rustymonke said:
Looks amazing, but just had some huge spoilers and quickly turned it off. I guess he's a good chunk into the game now... :lol :(
12 hours in. Just started the main story.

Level 6 :lol

Minsc said:
Eh, most of us were just responding to what we were seeing. You're incredibly one-sided here if you believe there was much reason to be optimistic prior to a few weeks.

The reasons I was optimistic:
#1) Bioware
#2) Never believe media hype, good, bad, or otherwise.
#3) Deemed "Baulder's Gate Successor" by Bioware.
#4) IT'S FREAKING BIOWARE MAKING A PC CENTRIC GAME! :)

But yeah, you have a point. The marketing was crap crap crap.

Jayge said:

Level 6?! Ok, that's a bit better then.

I guess you have to go through the typical
mentor figure (and people of importance) die moment
before becoming a man. :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Christ, the framerate is actually beginning to get to me. In the more dense areas, not just the villages/towns, it's reaaallly choppy. I normally can't stand games with framerates like this, but I really, really like Dragon Age's gameplay and story a whole lot, so I've been a bit hooked.

But when that nasty framerate pops up, I try to move myself further away from the TV, so that I don't get a headache from the framerate (this often happens to me).

Jayge said:

Makes sense. Leveled up to Level 6 before starting the main story. Explains why everything is piss easy even on Nightmare.

No level scaling confirmed!

Top Bottom