• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Aptos

For those of you who are familiar with the classes and specializations: if I want to mainly deal damage with a bow, and maybe cast a few spells here and there, what race/class combination should I choose? What about if I wanted to be a paladin sort of character (melee warrior who can cast some spells)?

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Should have got release day shipping my friend. I had to pay 5 extra bucks, but it...hypothetically...will be here Tuesday.

I'm sort of regretting going with the Steam version for this particular game as opposed to something more tangible, but oh well. Good thing is I'll have it on release (hopefully Steam doesn't jank up on me), and I did get the deluxe version when it was $55 for that one day.

bengraven

Zeliard said:
I'm sort of regretting going with the Steam version for this particular game as opposed to something more tangible, but oh well. Good thing is I'll have it on release (hopefully Steam doesn't jank up on me), and I did get the deluxe version when it was $55 for that one day.

No regrets man. You're almost guaranteed being able to play Tuesday, as well as ensuring you'll get much better support on Steam than alone.

Besides, Steam preorder bonuses are much better than my crappy Lion's Paw Boots.

Eric WK

JayDubya said:
For fuck's sake, why can't Amazon release this so it gets here on Tuesday, like with book purchases.

>_>

Free release day shipping here. I'll be installing right when I get home from work on Tuesday.

JdFoX187

Banned
I won't get my copy until Friday, which is really going to suck. Oh well, at least it's the collector's edition and Borderlands should hold me over.

fallout

Minsc said:
I wonder if there's DLC for getting the game playing before it's released?

Didn't think of everything now did you Bioware?!
Ring of Sneakery
+ 5 Dexterity
+ 5 Cunning

Attain this fantastic bonus item by breaking into Bioware's offices and kidnapping one of our developers! The ring will be added to your account upon the safe release of our employee.

JayDubya

Banned
Aptos said:
For those of you who are familiar with the classes and specializations: if I want to mainly deal damage with a bow, and maybe cast a few spells here and there, what race/class combination should I choose? What about if I wanted to be a paladin sort of character (melee warrior who can cast some spells)?

The trouble here is that magic in this world is very different, and there's no divine / arcane divide.

If you want the themes associated with the typical Paladin, the Warrior specialization of Templar would be up your alley, but they're strictly anti-caster Warriors in gameplay terms.

As specializations, Bards and Templars seem to get some spell-like abilities, though they're not magical, they take stamina points, and unless I'm mistaken, none of these involve direct healing (though there's probably a song that boosts the health recovery rate).

If you truly want to play a healing warrior that can do what a traditional Paladin does, gameplay wise... you may, paradoxically, have to start off as a Mage. There is an Arcane Warrior specialization that would enable you to do this.

can't wait to preload the steam version. I should really make space on the HDD in preperation for tomorrow. Hopefully I can download the game before it unlocks :lol.

wonkyaddict

Neo Member
bathala said:
IMG_0304.jpg

How big is the install? I want to go ahead and clear some space off my 360 HDD.

Zzoram

I saw a TV commercal and it was pretty good. Lucky for them all those awful trailers they released were only viewed by the hardcore that probably know that the real game is solid. The only thing the mass market will see is that TV commercial so they'll have a better first impression of the game.

Paznos

I saw nothing wrong with the Spider Cave video for the PS3 version, and if the PS3 version does gets mods that would be awesome.

LCfiner

fallout said:
Ring of Sneakery
+ 5 Dexterity
+ 5 Cunning

Attain this fantastic bonus item by breaking into Bioware's offices and kidnapping one of our developers! The ring will be added to your account upon the safe release of our employee.

:lol

I’d do it, but I don’t play as rogues, typically.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
DMPrince said:
can't wait to preload the steam version. I should really make space on the HDD in preperation for tomorrow. Hopefully I can download the game before it unlocks :lol.

Do we know what time on Tuesday the game will unlock on Steam?

bathala

Banned
when an enemy cast a spell on u (ex: flame = burning) the effects carry on during the cutscenes. So I was on fire during conversations :lol

wonkyaddict said:
How big is the install? I want to go ahead and clear some space off my 360 HDD.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Traced-Velocity said:
12:00pm PST on Tuesday if I'm not mistaken.

Thats correct if the Steam countdown is right, which is really lame if true cause that means 3pm my time. I dont see why they would they wait till the middle of the day, when retail stores would already be open for like 3-6 hours throughout the country. Why not just a 12am or at least 9am unlock. Ohh well Ill just sleep in tues.

Enduin said:
Thats correct if the Steam countdown is right, which is really lame if true cause that means 3pm my time. I dont see why they would they wait till the middle of the day, when retail stores would already be open for like 3-6 hours throughout the country. Why not just a 12am or at least 9am unlock. Ohh well Ill just sleep in tues.

Valve actually mentioned that the reason they changed it, was that if something went wrong with the unlock, it'd go wrong while they were all in the office and could jump on it, unlike in the past where if something went wrong they'd come in to the office and find the internet screaming for a fix.

Zzoram

Snapshot King said:
Valve actually mentioned that the reason they changed it, was that if something went wrong with the unlock, it'd go wrong while they were all in the office and could jump on it, unlike in the past where if something went wrong they'd come in to the office and find the internet screaming for a fix.

Makes sense to me.

Zzoram

I regret not jumping on the $55 Deluxe Edition price error. Heck I even regret not going for the $50 normal version while the Canadian dollar was 0.97 US.

Will every new copy have the blood dragon armor, even weeks down the line? There is no way i can afford to get this game soon both money and time wise but i really want that armor.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Snapshot King said:

Fair enough its a rather legitimate reason, but still irksome. You wouldnt think something like an unlock would be all that complicated, but I guess they dont want to take any chances or go into work early.

Zzoram

Gamer @ Heart said:
Will every new copy have the blood dragon armor, even weeks down the line? There is no way i can afford to get this game soon both money and time wise but i really want that armor.

I think new copies all have the blood dragon armor and the stone golem DLC.

Oh my god Journeys is so hard/addicting/boring. I just encountered the blue dude for the first time and I'm totally fucking burnt out on this. The fights are getting so damn annoying.

Also the achievemnt for ace-ing an ogre is assinine.

-Mikey-

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh my god Journeys is so hard/addicting/boring. I just encountered the blue dude for the first time and I'm totally fucking burnt out on this. The fights are getting so damn annoying.

If you are already fighting an ogre than you are almost finished.

I've beat it once but I don't know if I can beat it 2 more times. Playing through once more on hard for one of those rings.

charsace said:
Started watching again. Some guy just said its like an MMO. People seem to think WOW was the first PCRPG.

Some guy from the first stream posted here didn't know what cRPG was. That's what happens for bringing the Light to console peasants.:lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Castor Krieg said:
Some guy from the first stream posted here didn't know what cRPG was. That's what happens for bringing the Light to console peasants.:lol

I had to explain it to them :lol

edit: damn how many hours straight has dude been playing o_O

Chris R

Is there going to be a demo of this? I saw some gameplay on youtube and it looks decent (but the game looked horrible, 360 version, not PC) but then I see some steam videos and this dude is firing a gun??? WTF :lol

TheFallen

Son of Godzilla said:

Yea, I'm only playing for the helmet and I'm not even sure I want to play more than once :/ Should've started on Hard. It's not bad for a browser game and is a pretty good way to get introduced to some of the game's mechanics.

Side-note: Does anyone know if you can respec talents (for a fee? or never?) in DA:O?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Damn you, Bioware. You've made such an awesome game that it's pissing me off I don't have an Xbox 360. I'm really loving the PS3 game, but cannot take the framerate and visuals...I'm considering buying an X360 copy and borrowing my friend's Xbox 360 for an indefinite amount of time. :lol :lol

In all seriousness, I really want this game to succeed. It is really good and I'm holding out hope for a PS3 patch.

Edit: BTW, Mages are sooo fucking powerful, I love it!

AlphaSnake said:
Damn you, Bioware. You've made such an awesome game that it's pissing me off I don't have an Xbox 360. I'm really loving the PS3 game, but cannot take the framerate and visuals...I'm considering buying an X360 copy and borrowing my friend's Xbox 360 for an indefinite amount of time. :lol :lol

In all seriousness, I really want this game to succeed. It is really good and I'm holding out hope for a PS3 patch.

Still hoping someone will tell me if the PS3 install is mandatory and if so how big.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
rainking187 said:
Still hoping someone will tell me if the PS3 install is mandatory and if so how big.

It is mandatory. I answered the size question pages back: 3GB.

well i just canceled my amazon order for the Dragon Age CE (ps3) and preordered it at the EA store instead for a total of $56.21(had 25% off coupon which i got from them on my b-day). free shipping plus no tax, I'm glad switch over on time before amazon was going charge and ship DA

longdi

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

why not go straight to the pc one? 360 may be a little better, pc should be infinitely better and alt+tab to neogaf for updates is priceless.

Switched my pre order from 360 to PS3 tonight on the small hope of some mods.

Alphasnake I really honestly believe you are mistaken, to the point that I have totally discounted what you've said.

As a multi console owner for generations there are always differences in ports but there is no way they are releasing a game with massive texture quality issues and studdering frame rate issues. From experience I am not even worried they will be very close they almost always are.

Loudninja

AlphaSnake said:

Umm form the vids they look the same to me in the graphics department.

Loudninja said:
Umm form the vids they look the same to me in the graphics department.

He is FUDing himself out. The way he is talking it's like a massive quality drop. It just doesn't happen that way with any more. Its not like the PS3 uses cartridges. Like I said I actually changed my preorder tonight from 360 to PS3 , I wouldn't even consider changing it back.

Loudninja

Anerythristic said:
He is FUDing himself out. The way he is talking it's like a massive quality drop. It just doesn't happen that way with any more. Its not like the PS3 uses cartridges. Like I said I actually changed my preorder tonight from 360 to PS3 , I wouldn't even consider changing it back.

No I dont think that it, the game was never a looker to began with,still I am fine with them.

Rad-

I really don't understand why you would switch to PS3 version. There will be no exclusive mod support, as Bioware said both console versions will be the same content wise.

And he has played the game, we haven't. Why would he lie, he runs a freaking Playstation review site.

Blah, whatever. PC version come to papa.

Top Bottom