• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

RAD-

The way he was talking about the graphics, textures and framerate being so much better. I don't even have to look at the videos, though I did, it doesn't happen that way.

The framerate and textures might be slightly better on 360 and the PS3 has better lighting and other effects, issues like that happens all the time. If he stated Live functionality was better than PSN, OK very possible.

Look at 100 comparison videos on fanboy sites one port or the other is never a total trainwreck :lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
longdi said:
why not go straight to the pc one? 360 may be a little better, pc should be infinitely better and alt+tab to neogaf for updates is priceless.

My PC is crap and won't play it well.

Switched my pre order from 360 to PS3 tonight on the small hope of some mods.

Alphasnake I really honestly believe you are mistaken, to the point that I have totally discounted what you've said.

As a multi console owner for generations there are always differences in ports but there is no way they are releasing a game with massive texture quality issues and studdering frame rate issues. From experience I am not even worried they will be very close they almost always are.

Hey, believe what you want. I've seen the Xbox 360 version months ago and it looked better and had a better framerate. And that was an incomplete game.

Umm form the vids they look the same to me in the graphics department.

They aren't the same. The Xbox 360 game looked smoother when I saw it. Even these videos of the 360 game look nicer than what's in the PS3 version, imo. I'm not trolling here - in fact, it's in my interest to see proper PS3 games, since it makes my job much easier. But, the fact of the matter is that the PS3's graphics and framerate are a step below the Xbox 360 game.

AlphaSnake

Anerythristic said:
RAD-

The way he was talking about the graphics, textures and framerate being so much better. I don't even have to look at the videos, though I did, it doesn't happen that way.

The framerate and textures might be slightly better on 360 and the PS3 has better lighting and other effects, issues like that happens all the time. If he stated Live functionality was better than PSN, OK very possible.

Look at 100 comparison videos on fanboy sites one port or the other is never a total trainwreck :lol

What are you talking about? Nevermind what you wrote is hard to make sense of, but it's still very common to see the PS3 version of a multiplatform game turning out worse in the graphics department. Bayonetta is one such recent example. Borderlands is another. Both games have worse textures, pop-up, and framerates on the PS3 as opposed to the X360.

AlphaSnake said:
What are you talking about? Nevermind what you wrote is hard to make sense of, but it's still very common to see the PS3 version of a multiplatform game turning out worse in the graphics department. Bayonetta is one such recent example. Borderlands is another. Both games have worse textures, pop-up, and framerates on the PS3 as opposed to the X360.

Not true. Here is a great comparison about Borderlands

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=15982

Off topic I know, but it proves I am not just being difficult. I am not going to argue because I own all both consoles and if anybody can back up what you are saying I will listen.

Edit: It honestly sounds to me like you are completley shell shocked by PS3 port FUD.Though I have heard that Bayonetta has slightly better textures on 360.

AlphaSnake

Anerythristic said:

Off topic I know, but it proves I am not just being difficult. I am not going to argue because I own all both consoles and if anybody can back up what you are saying I will listen.

Edit: It honestly sounds to me like you are completley shell shocked by PS3 port FUD.Though I have heard that Bayonetta has slightly better textures on 360.

It was an all encompassing statement trying to make a point that multiplat games often come out better on the Xbox 360. Borderlands, for example, may have better textures on the PS3, but at the expense of more framerate dips (the 360 version runs better with multiple enemies, imo), more screen-tears, and less visual effects. Also, that article didn't mention some of the pop-up in the PS3 version of Borderlands, which I didn't see on my friend's Xbox 360 game.

Regardless, I'll tell you what I said earlier on in this thread, if framerates don't bother you as much as they bother me, then you'll still love the PS3 version of Dragon Age dearly. It is truly a fantastic RPG, which is why I refuse to put down my PS3 controller. I'm just saying that I'd love to enjoy the game with a more consistent 30FPS, or at least as close as possible.

Anerythristic said:

Well....i guess randy weren't full of shit when he said the pc version was the best. 360 has the pc effects but those textures are horrendous, i mean they actually turned the guns into a blurry mess and that's what the game is all about. PS3 looks like it's missing most of the post process effects. In otherwords...they're both shit.

AlphaSnake said:
Regardless, I'll tell you what I said earlier on in this thread, if framerates don't bother you as much as they bother me, then you'll still love the PS3 version of Dragon Age dearly. It is truly a fantastic RPG, which is why I refuse to put down my PS3 controller. I'm just saying that I'd love to enjoy the game with a more consistent 30FPS, or at least as close as possible.

Dude, I totally agree with you...now.

You could have just put it that way in the beginning. If you re-read what you had written it almost came off like you were actually stressed and that the PS3 version was almost unplayable, while the 360 version was practically PC quality. I know, for a fact, that doesn't happen so I couldn't believe you.

The 360 having slightly better textures and framerate in areas happens all the time :D

Have a good weekend.

I watched bits of the s1ayer cast on justin.tv off and on while avoiding doing my final assignment for the year and I have to say from what I saw I came away thoroughly impressed.

The level of party interaction was particularly impressive. At it's core it still seems to function in the same way we've seen in previous games but Bioware seem to have taken the quantity to new heights with party members interjecting in nearly every conversation whenever it seems logical; chatting not only with you but with other party members and npcs quite frequently.

Also I witnessed what I believe to be one of what I would assume to be of many splits in the path dependant upon your chosen origin and it by no means appeared to be a minor affair.

The one annoyance I noticed was the tirade of taunts made by your character and party members. The main character's in particular seemed the most grating. But it's a relatively trivial issue and I'd be surprised if you couldn't just turn them off.

In any case it was an interesting watch from what little I saw. I have the DigitalCE preordered on steam, only a few days now till I get my hands on it.

syllogism

SenorDingDong said:
The one annoyance I noticed was the tirade of taunts made by your character and party members. The main character's in particular seemed the most grating. But it's a relatively trivial issue and I'd be surprised if you couldn't just turn them off.
There are several different voice sets you can pick from at least

Rad-

New batch of reviews:

PC Gamer US:

The best story-driven RPG in the world.

92%

Official Xbox Magazine:

A truly epic fantasy adventure.

9/10

PC Games Russia:

The more you say about the game, the clearer it becomes: it's possible to get true experience of this game only when playing it. It has everything: the epic story and the tragedy of the hero and his friends against its background; the possibility to sink or fit the crown; the richness in tactics and dialogues; majestic cities and dusk of the decadence; the joy of victory and bitterness of its price.

10/10

GWN Russia:

Editors Choice and highest review score in a long time.

9.4/10

RPGCrazied

AlphaSnake said:
Christ, the framerate is actually beginning to get to me. In the more dense areas, not just the villages/towns, it's reaaallly choppy. I normally can't stand games with framerates like this, but I really, really like Dragon Age's gameplay and story a whole lot, so I've been a bit hooked.

But when that nasty framerate pops up, I try to move myself further away from the TV, so that I don't get a headache from the framerate (this often happens to me).

this the 360 version? so it does run like mass effect? shame :(

Alex

fizzelopeguss said:
Well....i guess randy weren't full of shit when he said the pc version was the best. 360 has the pc effects but those textures are horrendous, i mean they actually turned the guns into a blurry mess and that's what the game is all about. PS3 looks like it's missing most of the post process effects. In otherwords...they're both shit.

I don't see how they can say that the 360 wins with textures like that, then again I dont see how they can say the PS3 version averages 28 FPS unless it's standing around in a town.

Also, I guess I gave EA too much credit! I figured they'd kick Bioware into a nice PS3 version, considering almost everything they release has been equal.

Ah, well, it's a PC game anyway.

AlphaSnake said:

Hopefully that puts some of the ps3 guys at ease. Sounds like a shame to miss the game over small visual stuff, if that really is the case.

Ploid 3.0

gregor7777 said:
Hopefully that puts some of the ps3 guys at ease. Sounds like a shame to miss the game over small visual stuff, if that really is the case.

I'm still getting it on ps3 (my only option), and framerate don't really bother me (GTA). It's just that I was hoping by now things would start to clean up, and I'm pretty much ditching well made games to play this one (sorry Insomniac). The reason is because this game & dev have a lot of hype behind it (mainly BG2). Heck I played Titan Quest on my 2.5ghz P4 with 1gig of sdram, with a ati radeon HD 3600. The motherboard is like a 400fsb. The framerate was horrible, I think after that I'll enjoy this. I also own Orange Box PS3 and thought it was fine, when frame drop it was pretty isolated though. Normally Orange Box was smooth.

FrankT

RPGCrazied said:
so its good on 360?

From the stream we watched last night, yes. Framerate was more than solid.

Rad- said:
I really don't understand why you would switch to PS3 version. There will be no exclusive mod support, as Bioware said both console versions will be the same content wise.

And he has played the game, we haven't. Why would he lie, he runs a freaking Playstation review site.

Blah, whatever. PC version come to papa.

Indeed, no way I would switch after reading these impressions. Quite the opposite really. Not only with the impressions there is the Gamepro Germany review docking it compared to the 360 version, which has already been stated they only do this when one is inferior to the other.

I need help determining which version to get: 360 or PC. Here's the specs for my laptop.

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M
4GB RAM

Thanks. :D

Zzoram

Aljosa said:
I need help determining which version to get: 360 or PC. Here's the specs for my laptop.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M
4GB RAM

Thanks. :D

Supposedly the GT 120 is a GeForce 9500 card. That's borderline for max settings on current-gen gaming and it's a tough call. I'd say it depends on the resolution you're going for on PC. 1280x800 is probably going to be fine on medium-high, questionable if AA will be manageable, but 1680x1050 or higher won't be.

Zzoram said:
Supposedly the GT 120 is a GeForce 9500 card. That's borderline for max settings on current-gen gaming and it's a tough call. I'd say it depends on the resolution you're going for on PC. 1280x800 is probably going to be fine on medium-high, questionable if AA will be manageable, but 1680x1050 or higher won't be.
Hmm, okay. I won't be going higher than 1024x768 anyway, I hope that's good enough for medium with 30fps. If not, I'll just go ahead and purchase the 360 version. It can't be that inferior, I think. :p

Durante

Aljosa said:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120M
4GB RAM
That's borderline. If the features of the PC version interest you (mod support, isometric perspective, difficulty, cheaper) then go with that. Just don't expect graphics much better than what the 360 version does.

FrankT

Yea I'd say if it wasn't for the card. I would try the character builder out first and see what happens from there.

Zzoram

Durante said:
That's borderline. If the features of the PC version interest you (mod support, isometric perspective, difficulty, cheaper) then go with that. Just don't expect graphics much better than what the 360 version does.

Borderline cards are such a tough call. They usually end up only slightly better graphics than console but at least on PC you can always turn down graphics to get a better framerate, which is arguably more important.

PC also gets to zoom out to be almost isometric, if you're a Baldur's Gate 2 fan and want to pretend this is Baldur's Gate 3.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
Borderline cards are such a tough call. They usually end up only slightly better graphics than console but at least on PC you can always turn down graphics to get a better framerate, which is arguably more important.

PC also gets to zoom out to be almost isometric, if you're a Baldur's Gate 2 fan and want to pretend this is Baldur's Gate 3.

There should be plenty of second hand information next week.

I really wish every new game came with a benchmarking utility, like Capcom's. It's just perfect for seeing what to expect, the character editior is a nice touch, but doesn't fill the same void as a benchmarking program would.

The character creation tool went from 30-45fps when I put it on medium quality, high textures, no anti-aliasing, and 1360x768.

I'm so hyped for this game. :D

Zzoram

Minsc said:
There should be plenty of second hand information next week.

I really wish every new game came with a benchmarking utility, like Capcom's. It's just perfect for seeing what to expect, the character editior is a nice touch, but doesn't fill the same void as a benchmarking program would.

Yeah, or a demo that has a benchmark feature.

I'm going to go ahead and assume my E8400, 4GB DDR2, HD4870 512MB will run Dragon Age: Origins better than my 360/PS3. If I'm wrong, I'll cry (a little).

Durante

Minsc said:
True. Of course, Capcom has one of the most efficient engines out there (in terms of visual "oomph" vs. required performance) so it's unsurprising that they like to show it off.

Zzoram said:
I'm going to go ahead and assume my E8400, 4GB DDR2, HD4870 512MB will run Dragon Age: Origins better than my 360/PS3. If I'm wrong, I'll cry (a little).
Just for perspective, your GPU has more programmable FLOPs than all of PS3 and 360 combined.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Yeah, or a demo that has a benchmark feature.

It will run it much better than the consoles. Have you played any other multiplatform games on that rig? It should blow away your consoles. I have an E8500 and a HD4870 1GB and it runs pretty much every game I have tried great in 1920x1200. I've only had to lower the resolution for stuff like Crysis.

Ploid 3.0

Here's the specialization tree stuff. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Specializations

Interesting, Rogue can become a bard or assassin. Bard seem to be a spy like class, while assassin is about poisons and critical hits. I'm definitely going to be a Rogue.

Warrior Specializations
50px-Classico_berserker.png
Berserkers are fierce warriors who harness their inner rage to gain strength and health at a cost to finesse fighting.

50px-Temp_champion.png
Champions are warriors who are confident and skilled at leadership.

50px-Temp_reaver.png
Reavers are terrifing fighters who devour the souls of their enemies.

50px-Templaricon.png
Templars are a militaristic branch of the Chantry charged with policing mages. Because of this, they possess talents designed to withstand and dispel magic.​

Rogue Specializations
50px-Classico_assassin.png
Assassins are trained killers who focus on poisons and also have an increased chance to critically hit and inflict more damage with each backstab.

50px-Classico_bard.png
Bards use their training in the arts, to become deadly spies.

50px-Duelist_icon.PNG
Duelists are skilled fighters with impressive reflexes.

50px-Ranger_icon.PNG
Rangers have a strong bond with nature and are often used as scouts or militia.​

Mage Specializations
50px-Temp_arcanewarrior.png
Arcane Warriors are mages who have channeled magic into their bodies, making them effective fighters.

50px-Temp_bloodmage.png
Blood Mages pursue a darker path of magic that is fueled by blood.

50px-Icon_shapeshifter.png
Shapeshifters are mages who have learned to alter the form of their bodies.

50px-Classico_spirithealer.png
Spirit Healers draw on the help of the benevolent spirits of the fade to focus on healing their allies.​

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Ernt Bards more of a support class, use their songs to give the party buffs or disable the enemies.

Does anyone know when EA will start e-mailing out the preorder codes? I hate using their store but it was the only place with collectors editions left.

TheFallen

No respecs in this game. Fuck, gonna have to think over any builds. Probably will start as a Warrior so that when I get to a Mage I have a good understanding from spec'ing Morrigan and the others.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, the 360 version is considered the better port? After hearing some decent impressions, I went with the PS3 version but maybe I can still switch my preorder. I like that my PS3 doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner and I have more HDD space but if it is noticeably worse I should switch over. But then again, if its just a few frames slower it's not a big deal to me.

Ploid 3.0

Deacan said:
Ernt Bards more of a support class, use their songs to give the party buffs or disable the enemies.

Yep seem like it.

A bard is something of a curiosity even in the courts of Orlais, where intrigue is as common as silk. Musicians and troubadours, doubling as spies, exploit their access to powerful nobility to glean secrets for employers who are usually nameless even to the bard. The nobles welcome such entertainers with full knowledge that any could be a bard; the thrill of outwitting a spy is a notion the Orlesian aristocracy can hardly resist. Unfortunately, when they finally realize that a master bard has been among them, it is usually too late. Bards use music to soothe hearts and cloud minds; in combat, their abilities to inspire allies and distract foes are legendary. Beyond their music, they are masters of dirty fighting, stealth and larceny.

In other parts of the world, bards are less prominent but no less dangerous. Bards travel wherever secrets have value: in Ferelden, they once played fairs and graced the courts of banns and arls, listening for secrets that could be used to sway the fiercely independent nobility. Outside of Orlais, most traveling entertainers are now merely musicians, but that only makes the spies more difficult to detect.

Talent-SongOfValor_icon.png
Song of Valor
The bard sings an ancient tale of valorous heroes, granting the party bonuses to mana or stamina regeneration at a rate affected by the bard’s cunning. The bard can only sing one song at a time.​

Talent-Distraction_icon.png
Distraction
The bard’s performance, replete with dizzying flourishes, is designed to distract and confuse. The target forgets who it was fighting and becomes disoriented unless it passes a mental resistance check.​

Talent-SongOfCourage_icon.png
Song of Courage
The bard launches into an epic song of the party’s exploits, granting them bonuses to attack, damage, and critical chance. The size of the bonuses are affected by the bard’s cunning. The bard can only sing one song at a time.​

Talent-CaptivatingSong_icon.png
Captivating Song
The bard begins an entrancing song that stuns hostile targets nearby unless they pass a mental resistance check every few seconds. Continuing the song does not drain stamina, but the bard cannot move or take any other action while singing.​

quaere

Why would the character creator be indicative of anything? Just play WoW and watch your framerate double or triple as soon as you go indoors.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hmm... I typically play a mage in RPGs when given the choice, but Bard seems pretty ace, as well.

Further complicating things is that all four Mage classes don't appeal to me, for different reasons. No Arcane Warrior because I don't want to be Melee focused. No spirit healer because I want to be more offensive than defensive. Shapeshifter could be cool, but I'd like to focus on spellcasting.

That just leaves Blood Mage, but I want to be good, not evil. Is it possible to be a good-aligned blood mage?

guidop

Hype is definitely rising for me. Last week when i bought the game of steam i was mildly interested, now I'm really eager to play it.

Not going to have a physical copy of the manual is going to suck though

guidop said:
Hype is definitely rising for me. Last week when i bought the game of steam i was mildly interested, now I'm really eager to play it.

Not going to have a physical copy of the manual is going to suck though

These days manuals are not really manuals anyway. They are pamphlets. You could probably read and memorize the whole thing on a computer screen in 5 minutes.

Ploid 3.0

You know, I usually hate being stuck in the support role but in this game being the support don't seem so lame. Besides I could just say I'm a cool spy to cover up the fact that I'm a bard. Oh and having thief tools like non mage armor, a bow, and swords don't hurt either.

Top Bottom