• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

koji

Caspel said:
I'm visiting BioWare today in Edmonton for Dragon Age II. If anyone has any questions concerning Dragon Age II or even the original, please let me know via PM and I'll have them answered for you.

Skillset/RPG Rulset, any significant changes to it? What I'm trying to say is, did they dumb it down?

Prine

Banned
Is this game worth completing? I played loads when it came out but got fatigued by the dungeons - im on my last contract (the dwarfs) and the game is killing me. Miles and miles of dull caves filled with baby dragons. Im interested to see how it ends, but i need a reason to continue...I thought i could be man and get through it knowing the end is going to be great. But man this part of the game brings down the whole experience.

I also hate dwarfs.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
dionysus said:
Did that Morrigan DLC ever come out? It was the only DLC I felt interested enough to buy. Is it any good?
Yeah, it's called "Witch Hunt."

If you have a male warden who romanced Morrigan, it's worth playing. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with it.

Prine said:
But man this part of the game brings down the whole experience.
I find it funny that everyone complains about the Fade, but it's the Deep Roads for me that are by far the most tedious part of the game. Orzammar itself is cool and I enjoy the crazy political machinations of the dwarves, but goddamn the dungeon crawl.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I'm playing through Golems of Amgarrak for the second time at the moment and.. well.. The The Harvester is giving me real problems on hard mode.

Anyone done this? Some tips would be appreciated. I'm a level 32 Mage.

Prine said:
Is this game worth completing? I played loads when it came out but got fatigued by the dungeons - im on my last contract (the dwarfs) and the game is killing me. Miles and miles of dull caves filled with baby dragons. Im interested to see how it ends, but i need a reason to continue...I thought i could be man and get through it knowing the end is going to be great. But man this part of the game brings down the whole experience.

I also hate dwarfs.

If you hate the game then chances are you should put it down, but the last portion of the game from the Landsmeet on is probably my favorite. Some really interesting stuff can happen depending on the choices you make.

The dwarven section was my least favorite contract as well, just went on for too long.

Caspel said:
I'm visiting BioWare today in Edmonton for Dragon Age II. If anyone has any questions concerning Dragon Age II or even the original, please let me know via PM and I'll have them answered for you

Don't expect legit answers for these but here are some DA2 questions:

When can we see legit gameplay footage, especially of the PC version?
How do they respond to the critics who feel that much of what made the original Dragon Age special has been stripped out and dumbed down?
Are they surprised with the amount of vocal backlash heard so far?
How did the sales of DA:O perform against their expectations, and did that influence the direction of DA2?
DA:O was often referred to as the "spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate" what game would they consider DA2 to be the spiritual successor of?

koji

Sir Garbageman said:
DA:O was often referred to as the "spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate" what game would they consider DA2 to be the spiritual successor of?

Oh yeah this one, that's a good one :D

Spike6663

I'm so glad I finally bought this! About 12 hours in and absolutely loving the micro-management!:lol

My only problem is the need for a Rogue in your party. Basically, I'm restricted to always having Leliana or Zevran in my party. Furthermore, I'm building Zevran to be an assassin so I'm basically stuck with Leliana in my party permanently.

Alright, bought this when it was first released. Put about 40 hours into it. Got about half way and then later sold it. Now I want to pick it back up. I kept my save file. How easy is it to get back into if I stopped for months?

koji

Spike6663 said:
I'm so glad I finally bought this! About 12 hours in and absolutely loving the micro-management!:lol

My only problem is the need for a Rogue in your party. Basically, I'm restricted to always having Leliana or Zevran in my party. Furthermore, I'm building Zevran to be an assassin so I'm basically stuck with Leliana in my party permanently.

Yeah, that`s the reason I play a cunning based rogue as MC. (that and the fact that they kick ass)

That`s also one of my main issues with DA, you need to follow a very specific party composition to be succesful... 2 mages (one healer/CC and one CC/DD), rogue and tank = beat the game on nightmare without breaking a sweat. (Once they all leveled up a bit)

If you want to play something experimental or more creative it just doesn`t really work. So your stuck with that basic basic setup. K, you can switch that CC/DD mage with an Archer rogue (they kick ass on higher lvls) but that`s about it variation-wise.

That`s actually a good question for Caspel to ask, will DA2 allow for more flexibility in the party setup or are you still forced to play with the most basic RPG party.

I just got through lighting the tower and playing as a warrior it has felt like playing through a 5 man dungeon in wow with top tier gear, how big of a step up is nightmare from hard?

koji

cuevas said:
I just got through lighting the tower and playing as a warrior it has felt like playing through a 5 man dungeon in wow with top tier gear, how big of a step up is nightmare from hard?

Not so big, once you figure out how the game wants you to play it becomes pretty easy. :)

koji said:
Not so big, once you figure out how the game wants you to play it becomes pretty easy. :)

I kept it at hard, I didn't need any headaches. I really like the combat and the story is engaging and I just want to keep going. I went through almost the entire mage tower quest in one sitting and only the realization that I hadn't eaten in hours stopped me. I will need some self control with finals coming up but I will pick it back up during break.

Sad to hear that they are changing the combat drastically in DA2.

Alright, I bought the Ultimate Edition about a month ago and it has been sitting on my desk since. I finally got some time to open it today and start playing, so started installing the discs on the 360 now.

What order do I play the DLC/Expansions? So far on my actual saves of the Origins, I beat the game and I think I beat the Stone Prisoner DLC last year in November when the game first came out. Haven't touched since.

So I pretty much have to play all the DLC's and the expansion, any particular order? Also does your saves and characters from Origins carry over to Awakening?

Here is a list of the content.

Leilana's Song
Wardens Keep
Return to Ostagar
Awakening
Golems of Amagarrak
Witch Hunt
Darkspawn Chronicles

Thanks in advance.

Trick_GSF

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
Alright, I bought the Ultimate Edition about a month ago and it has been sitting on my desk since. I finally got some time to open it today and start playing, so started installing the discs on the 360 now.

What order do I play the DLC/Expansions? So far on my actual saves of the Origins, I beat the game and I think I beat the Stone Prisoner DLC last year in November when the game first came out. Haven't touched since.

So I pretty much have to play all the DLC's and the expansion, any particular order? Also does your saves and characters from Origins carry over to Awakening?

Here is a list of the content.

Leilana's Song
Wardens Keep
Return to Ostagar
Awakening
Golems of Amagarrak
Witch Hunt
Darkspawn Chronicles

Thanks in advance.

Wardens Keep and Return to Ostagar are basically just quests within main game and you can do them whenever you want (The Stone Prisoner can also be done whenever, if you have it). As for the others, most people play them in this order:

Awakening> Golems of Amagarrak> Witch Hunt

Depending on your choices in Origins you could swap Witch Hunt and Golems, but it don't really matter.

Leilana's Song and Darkspawn Chronicles are small, stand alone expansions and you might as well wait until you're finished with everything else to play those.

Origins carry over to Awakening?

Yep, and to Witch Hunt and Golems.

Trick_GSF said:
Wardens Keep and Return to Ostagar are basically just quests within main game and you can do them whenever you want (The Stone Prisoner can also be done whenever, if you have it). As for the others, most people play them in this order:

Awakening> Golems of Amagarrak> Witch Hunt

Depending on your choices in Origins you could swap Witch Hunt and Golems, but it don't really matter.

Ok, thanks. I guess I will beat Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar first before I move to the expansion.

How about Leliana's song and Darkspawn Chronicles?

Sorry for the double post but I have a problem. I finished Origins when it first came out, I have the Ultimate Edition now.

When I load up my old save which takes me into the post coronation room, when I walk out of the doors, it will give me a listing of what all happens and then I get the credits. How do I return to the camp at this point to do my other quests?

I'm getting the Ultimate Edition in a few days and this game seems so massive. I really want my first and probably only play-through (due to not enough time to play games nowadays) to be as enjoyable as possible. Is there any certain classes or anything to avoid? Certain things to concentrate on? Any tips or quick run-down on do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated.

rocksteady1983 said:
I'm getting the Ultimate Edition in a few days and this game seems so massive. I really want my first and probably only play-through (due to not enough time to play games nowadays) to be as enjoyable as possible. Is there any certain classes or anything to avoid? Certain things to concentrate on? Any tips or quick run-down on do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated.

I played the game more than a year ago but from what I remember most of the decisions you make will have different outcomes in the game, so it will be your personal decision.

As for classes, I played a few and I found Rogue the best, regarding the race it really doesn't matter, your choice anyway.

There is one part I hated in the game which is called the Fade and there is no way you can avoid that, so yeah, just play the game.

sweetvar26 said:
Sorry for the double post but I have a problem. I finished Origins when it first came out, I have the Ultimate Edition now.

When I load up my old save which takes me into the post coronation room, when I walk out of the doors, it will give me a listing of what all happens and then I get the credits. How do I return to the camp at this point to do my other quests?

Anybody?

Other than the pranking DLC stuff, I've got it all to date. With that being said, I've invested somewhere around 200 hours across all characters in DA:O. Here's to hoping DA:2 gives the same kinda game life, eh?

Is the loot in the game random? Like is there a chance I could find a bad ass sword in a chest or on a dead guy, but if I played through some other time it may not be there? Or is all the unique and good weapons found in the same places/quests?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Thinking about playing this again over winter break, the last time I tried I stopped at the fade. Is it worth starting up again?

Trick_GSF

Banned
sweetvar26 said:

Hmm.. I might be wrong but if you have
killed the archdemon
you'll have to go back to an earlier save. Where you are now, the game is over.

To play Awakenings, Golems, etc, you have to go to the main menu and select "new game".

sweetvar26 said:

After quite some searching, I found that you will need to load the Auto save after the game to return to the crossroads from which you can go to the party camp.

Here is the link for the information.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/67/index/287420/1#4917097

kai3345

Banned
rocksteady1983 said:
Pick either Human Noble, City Elf, Mage or Dwarf Noble ( ithink) origins, as those have the most impact on the main plot.

Am I doing it wrong if I buy the gifts to get the characters up? I still want to do their quests but having the bonus skills early seems like a good idea. If they get really high will they still give me their quests?

I awkwardly fucked Morrigan just by talking with her.

kai3345

Banned
cuevas said:
Am I doing it wrong if I buy the gifts to get the characters up? I still want to do their quests but having the bonus skills early seems like a good idea. If they get really high will they still give me their quests?

I only used the gifts on my second playthrough just so I could be 100 percent sure I could do everyones quest. Doing it on the first one felt like cheating to me.

cuevas said:

I did remember
sleeping with Morrigan
, not sure if I did the quest before or after. Looking at my achievements, I got it pretty early, so I'm, guessing I did the quest after?

Stampy

Since I am for the first time playing Ultimate Edition, is there any advice in which order should the DLC locations be played (The Stone prisoner; Warden's Keep; Return to Ostagar). And can they be played immediately after Lothering, or is it better to leave them for latter. Or this all does not even matter in which order you play?

Patryn

Stampy said:
Since I am for the first time playing Ultimate Edition, is there any advice in which order should the DLC locations be played (The Stone prisoner; Warden's Keep; Return to Ostagar). And can they be played immediately after Lothering, or is it better to leave them for latter. Or this all does not even matter in which order you play?

Play the Stone Prisoner as soon as you are able to beat it, because it gives you another party member.

Other than that, there's really no major order to play them in.

Kurtofan

I just picker up this game and I have a few bugs about my Dwarf commoner.
He had a dialogue option reserved for a noble and another Dwarf on the surface talked to me as if I was a noble.
Is this normal?
I hope it won't change my story.
Edit: the fuck it did it again!
Should I start a new game or what.
It fucking pisses me off

Just got this for 360. Playing as a human warrior, normal difficulty.

Any things I should change or know before I get really into this? Is normal going to be too easy?

Hyphen

CartridgeBlower said:
Just got this for 360. Playing as a human warrior, normal difficulty.

Any things I should change or know before I get really into this? Is normal going to be too easy?

I found 'normal' to be the perfect difficulty (for me) - not too hard, but not easy either.
As for the game itself - I found most enjoyment by not rushing through it, and taking in the whole mythos of the story (read all that the codex has to offer).

Hyphen said:
I found 'normal' to be the perfect difficulty (for me) - not too hard, but not easy either.
As for the game itself - I found most enjoyment by not rushing through it, and taking in the whole mythos of the story (read all that the codex has to offer).

I loved reading the codex! I was so impressed and happy with the world that Bioware created for the game, with even fake literature and liturgy extracts. It was incredibly detailed and felt alive with backstory.

Kurtofan said:
I just picker up this game and I have a few bugs about my Dwarf commoner.
He had a dialogue option reserved for a noble and another Dwarf on the surface talked to me as if I was a noble.
Is this normal?
I hope it won't change my story.
Edit: the fuck it did it again!
Should I start a new game or what.
It fucking pisses me off

Never happened to me, played 360 version.

Kurtofan

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Never happened to me, played 360 version.
It's back to normal, weird.
Or maybe they didn't add commoner dwarf dialogue options outside of Ormazzar(whatever)

How do you beat that tentacle blob thing in Ormazzar?
I'm starting to get crazy because of it :(

kai3345

Banned
Kurtofan said:
It's back to normal, weird.
Or maybe they didn't add commoner dwarf dialogue options outside of Ormazzar(whatever)

How do you beat that tentacle blob thing in Ormazzar?
I'm starting to get crazy because of it :(
Whats your current party setup?

kai3345

Banned
Kurtofan said:
Dwarf warrior, Morrigan, Zevran, Ogren.
Ok, first you're going to need a Healer. If you haven't gone to the Mage Tower yet, I suggest you leave the Deep Roads and go there now.

Also I hope your Dwarf warrior is your Tank (Specced in Sword and Shield) because Ogren is complete shit as a tank, he's DPS. If your MC is not your Tank, level Alistair up in sword and shield and get him some heavy armor.

I never used Zeveran so there isn't much I can say about him.

Morrigan is fine as DPS, just be sure to try and stay in one Talent tree.

Kurtofan

kai3345 said:
Ok, first you're going to need a Healer. If you haven't gone to the Mage Tower yet, I suggest you leave the Deep Roads and go there now.

Also I hope your Dwarf warrior is your Tank (Specced in Sword and Shield) because Ogren is complete shit as a tank, he's DPS. If your MC is not your Tank, level Alistair up in sword and shield and get him some heavy armor.

I never used Zeveran so there isn't much I can say about him.

Morrigan is fine as DPS, just be sure to try and stay in one Talent tree.
What does DPS means?
I took Zevran because he's cool and Ogren because we're looking for his wife :lol
I really suck at this game.
And no my main has shit resistance or whatever it's called.

kai3345

Banned
Kurtofan said:
What does DPS means?
I took Zevran because he's cool and Ogren because we're looking for his wife :lol
I really suck at this game.
And no my main has shit resistance or whatever it's called.
DPS is damage per second. Baisically someone who deals a bunch of damage. (Good DPS chars: Morrigan, Leliana, Ogren, Sten, Shale)

Tank is someone with a lot of defense and health an has a lot of abilities that cause Threat, which causes the enemies to attack them instead of your DPS or Healer. (Good Tanks: Alistair, Shale, Dog)

Healer focuses on healing your tank as well as your party members if any enemies break through your tank.

The most ideal party setup is: Tank, DPS, DPS, Healer

But you also may just want to turn the difficulty down if you want to keep your same party setup.

Kurtofan

kai3345 said:
DPS is damage per second. Baisically someone who deals a bunch of damage. (Good DPS chars: Morrigan, Leliana, Ogren, Sten, Shale)

Tank is someone with a lot of defense and health an has a lot of abilities that cause Threat, which causes the enemies to attack them instead of your DPS or Healer. (Good Tanks: Alistair, Shale, Dog)

Healer focuses on healing your tank as well as your party members if any enemies break through your tank.

The most ideal party setup is: Tank, DPS, DPS, Healer

But you also may just want to turn the difficulty down if you want to keep your same party setup.
I'm already on easy :(
I manage the tentacles well, but when she summons the darkspawns everything goes down the drain.

Hyphen

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I loved reading the codex! I was so impressed and happy with the world that Bioware created for the game, with even fake literature and liturgy extracts. It was incredibly detailed and felt alive with backstory.

Couldn't agree with you more. Everything you've said are my feelings exactly. And after completion, seeing my character's name amongst some of the events is an awesome bonus.

IoCaster

Kurtofan said:
I'm already on easy :(
I manage the tentacles well, but when she summons the darkspawns everything goes down the drain.

This is salvageable if Morrigan has Heal or you have enough health pots. If either of those are true then keep Zev with Morrigan. Take control of Morrigan and let your MC and Oghren (via AI) tackle the Brood Mother while you keep them alive with either heal spells or pots. When you first start the battle pick a side where you have a wall or corner to minimize your exposure. Zev can lay waste to the tentacles that spawn around you. Have Zev protect you by killing nearby tentacles and Darkspawn exclusively. You'll have to pick your targets of opportunity as you play Morrigan with frequent pauses. Also make sure that you've set up each characters individual tactic for AI behavior. Morrigan should always be set for ranged combat when controlled by AI. Oghren and your MC should be set for scrapper for this battle while Zev should be set for defender. It's doable if you set your mind on playing it tactically.

Dries

I'm planning on buying the Ultimate Edition for my girlfriend as a christmas present, since she is really enjoying DA:O. Have a question about the saves though.

Can you transfer saves from DA:O to DA:UE? My girlfriend is a long ways into the story on DA:O and of course she would like to continue that save, only now with the DA:UE DLC and DA:Awakenings. Can someone confirm this?

Top Bottom