• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

IoCaster

Dries said:
Anyone? Still stuck here..

Are you still in combat mode? If you are then there are enemies left alive somewhere that need to be killed and that may keep you from exiting. There's a bug like that with Sophia(demon) and her minions. I don't remember the details but I thought that it had been patched.

Crazetex

I just picked up the Ultimate Edition. I'm doing Witch Hunt with my old character, then jumping in and hooking up with gay Alistair again and... basically playing the game the exact same was as before.

<Game> CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE
<Me> uh no

Well, this time I'll deviate from using Alistair/Morrigan/Zevran the entire game, and I'll not decapitate Wynne.

Pictures of headless Wynne, homoerotic bloodbaths and being a righteous bigot can be found here: http://tinypic.com/a/21nvs/1

DSN2K

Im enjoying playing Dragon Age again since picking up the Ultimate Edition, trying to make a Rihanna Rogue at the Moment :D

DAOrigins-2010-12-29-18-08-40-28.jpg

DAOrigins-2010-12-29-18-09-26-30.jpg

neck looks bit odd in the 2nd pic :lol Bioware dark skin is piss poor in this game and I've yet to find a decent mode for improved skin.

Crazetex said:
I just picked up the Ultimate Edition. I'm doing Witch Hunt with my old character, then jumping in and hooking up with gay Alistair again and... basically playing the game the exact same was as before.

<Game> CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE
<Me> uh no

Well, this time I'll deviate from using Alistair/Morrigan/Zevran the entire game, and I'll not decapitate Wynne.

Pictures of headless Wynne, homoerotic bloodbaths and being a righteous bigot can be found here: http://tinypic.com/a/21nvs/1
It must use Shale, for Shale is the best character.

Dries

IoCaster said:
Are you still in combat mode? If you are then there are enemies left alive somewhere that need to be killed and that may keep you from exiting. There's a bug like that with Sophia(demon) and her minions. I don't remember the details but I thought that it had been patched.

Nope. Not in combat mode.

hylje

KAL2006 said:
OK I am about to give up on this game, I can't stand the random crashes, I can't find no solution to this shit.

Did you get it from Steam? If so, have you tried this?

-Load Steam
-From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
-Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
-Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
-Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit

Fixes my random crashes (on steam games).

IoCaster

Dries said:
Nope. Not in combat mode.

Sorry man that was all I could think of. If it isn't some enemy that still needs killing then you've probably hit a nasty bug. If you get past this I would recommend keeping at least one permanent Camp save that gets updated between quests. Good luck.

I am officially a 'PC performance whiner' with this game. Runs great doing everthing but combat; enter combat and everything goes to shit. What, I go from 30+ fps to 2 fps?@!? I've turned off all Steam notifications, etc., given the game 'high' priority via task manager, I've even back off the cores from 4 to 1 (based on stuff I've read online), turned off 'persistent gore' - NOTHING has worked.

Is this a Bioware thing? Seems like folks have had this with the Mass Effect games, too.

Man, I sooooo want to play this, but not when it's crapping out on me ever minute or two...

Red

Really enjoying this game so far. Playing as a human mage on PC. Still in the first area after the Fade, but it's already pretty difficult.

I have only a single question, if anyone can help me out: how do you enable the console on the Steam version of this game? I've tried -enabledeveloperconsole within Steam properties, same as how I usually edit launches via Steam. That didn't work. I researched a bit and saw that the .ini file defaults to the tilde with "Button_Grave," but I changed it to "Button_Tilde" since it didn't work the first time. Still nothing. Tried setting Console Launch 1 to the same setting (before it was noted as "unassigned"). That didn't work. Removed the console launch 1 button. Tried setting a shortcut on my desktop and altering launch properties there. That didn't work. Tried setting my console button as shift+x and then control+x, but both of those options also failed.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the DA:O console infuriatingly difficult to get working? I already know the game typically doesn't display console text, I was aware of that before trying to get it working, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to control my character while the console is open, regardless of what it is or isn't displaying. Just for good measure, I downloaded a console fix to have it display text, then repeated all of my attempts, and still nothing worked.

Does anyone have an idea? I'd really appreciate it. I'm playing the Ultimate Edition version of the game, if that helps, and I'm trying to open the console in DA:O vanilla.

vocab

sparky2112 said:
I am officially a 'PC performance whiner' with this game. Runs great doing everthing but combat; enter combat and everything goes to shit. What, I go from 30+ fps to 2 fps?@!? I've turned off all Steam notifications, etc., given the game 'high' priority via task manager, I've even back off the cores from 4 to 1 (based on stuff I've read online), turned off 'persistent gore' - NOTHING has worked.

Is this a Bioware thing? Seems like folks have had this with the Mass Effect games, too.

Man, I sooooo want to play this, but not when it's crapping out on me ever minute or two...

Specs? This game runs runs better then almost every Bioware game except ME2. The only drops I encountered during 12 hours of playtime were corpse explosion, the huge fire in ostagar (certain angles), and entering a cutscene (Which is normal). This is with 1080P, maxed out with 4x AA. 60 fps all the time.

My specs: I5-750, 5850, 4GB DDR3 (soon to be 8 gigs).

sparky2112 said:

Specs? I've run this game on an E8400 (Core 2 duo)+4850 as well as a Q9550 (Core 2 Quad) + 5850 and the game runs smooth on both at everything cranked to max (1600x1200/1920x1080 with varying degrees of AA).

koji

sparky2112 said:

Hmm, completely different engine (in-house) compared to Mass Effect (UE3) so it's not a Bioware thing.

Runs smooth here as well. What vidcard, drivers, audio? This is also one of the few games that benefit from a multicore system.

Did you try disabling audio? I'm trying to figure out what's different between the engine in combat and just regular gameplay and can't really find something.

Specs:

Dell XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Q6600
3 Gb RAM
8800GT
SigmaTel HD Audio (on board, I guess?)

I've read all manner of things online with people who have stuttering or 'lag' in Dragon Age, and some mention the onboard audio, but what's weird is my audio never stutters, just the video. And, man, it chugs. It's not that my machine can't handle the game, there's clearly a problem.

After making all the various changes yesterday, I played for about 20 minutes with no issues, but then came back later an it was awful again. Maybe I need to reboot before firing the game up or something. Dunno... Don't MAKE me go back to my son's 360 version. :lol

EDIT: I should also say that BGII and The Witcher are looking better and better by the minute...

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Crunched said:
Does anyone have an idea? I'd really appreciate it. I'm playing the Ultimate Edition version of the game, if that helps, and I'm trying to open the console in DA:O vanilla.

You're probably enabling the console just fine, but you do need an external mod to actually see the console text. Yeah... it's kind of wacky. ^^;

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Console

sparky2112 said:
Specs:

Dell XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Q6600
3 Gb RAM
8800GT
SigmaTel HD Audio (on board, I guess?)
My specs are almost identical to yours (Q6600, 9800GT, 4GB DDR2) but I've had no persistent issues with DAO outside of the ubiquitous memory leak (which is easily fixed with simply restarting the game) - steady at ~50fps without any dip during combat.

Though I didn't mess with the cores and the resolutions I play at aren't overly demanding (1360x768 or 1280x1024). *shrugs*

kai3345

Banned
Dries said:
I completed the Soldier's Peak dlc quest on the xbox 360. Now I'm trying to leave the peak, but I'm stuck on the second floor. I cannot enter the door "stairs down" although my map says it's a real door. I already tried 3 different savefiles, they were in different stages of the quest. Sadly, I don't have a savefile from before entering the Peak. With all of these files the same thing happens, the door doesn't work. It's like the game doesn't acknowledge it's a door even though my map says it is. What can I do? (except start a new game.. Which is not really an option after 60 hours with this character)
Are you sure you've completed the quest?

There are two parts. There's the peak and then the Mage Tower.

After killing
Sophia
youre supposed to cross the bridge and go to the Mage Tower.

kai3345

Banned
:lol :lol

After finishing Wardens Keep and heading to Lake Calenhad, I got a random event that was a woman named "Marta" and her husband finding a child in the crater of a meteor.

I've played through the game twice and I've never seen that random event.

Superman in Ferelden lol

I want to thank everyone that chimed in or at least asked me to post my system specs in regard to my stuttering issue.

I haven't fixed it yet, but this is something that apparently goes with the territory with some Nvidia cards, and I've found articles like, 'Multi-core configuration that your OEM does for you' when broadening my search beyond Dragon Age. Why am I pretty sure this is the issue? Because DA was the *first game I've played since my hard drive crashed and i've installed a new one*. So now I'm asumming that what Dell was kind enough to do the first time around now needs to be done by me.

We'll see, but I think I'm on the right track.

Red

ExMachina said:
You're probably enabling the console just fine, but you do need an external mod to actually see the console text. Yeah... it's kind of wacky. ^^;

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Console
Thanks for the link. Turns out I wasn't enabling the console, but I was able to get it working by editing my DAOriginsLauncher.xml file.

My newest problem: striped gray screen crashes after recruiting Alistair. Sometimes it's instantaneous, sometimes it takes a few minutes. This used to happen with GTAIV, but as far as I can remember, that was the only other game that gave me problems. I can see the screen flicker and catch artifacts appear (not colored dots or missing pixels, more like screen tearing or flashes of stretched textures). Anyone else have problems using AMD drivers with this game?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Posted in here a few months ago, but ended up not starting the game after all. Anyway, thinking of starting it up again soon since I grabbed all the DLC in the Steam sale, so I'm thinking about my first characyer, and have a few questions. Try to keep them totally separate, exclusive from each other-

1. I originally wanted to stray from my normal "go to" archetype, that being human/orc/something huge fighter, and I thought about elven mage, but then I heard they're REALLY overpowered. Is it that bad? Would it detract from the enjoyment?
2. What race/backgrounds have the best stories?
3. Are there any holes in a party that aren't filled by the NPCs that would be a good class to make the main character, or any particular NPCs that I wouldn't want to duplicate with my main because they're too cool to not use? For example, in the Baldur's Gate series, I wouldn't want to make my main the same as Minsc because he is AWESOME. No need to use names that spoil any parts of the story for this one (ex a character that switches sides, or is not obviously going to join you from the beginning)

I seriously doubt I'll play more than once, so I'm kind of hoping to get the most out of my first playthrough.

Monroeski said:
Posted in here a few months ago, but ended up not starting the game after all. Anyway, thinking of starting it up again soon since I grabbed all the DLC in the Steam sale, so I'm thinking about my first characyer, and have a few questions. Try to keep them totally separate, exclusive from each other-

1. I originally wanted to stray from my normal "go to" archetype, that being human/orc/something huge fighter, and I thought about even mage, but then I heard they're REALLY overpowered. Is it that bad? Would it detract from the enjoyment?
3. Are there any holes in a party that aren't filled by the NPCs that would be a good class to make the main character, or any particular NPCs that I wouldn't want to duplicate with my main because they're too cool to not use? For example, in the Baldur's Gate series, I wouldn't want to make my main the same as Minsc because he is AWESOME. Need to use names that spoil any parts of the story for this one (ex a character that switches sides, or is not obviously going to join you from the beginning)

I seriously doubt I'll play more than once, so I'm kind of hoping to get the moat out of my first playthrough.
1. Mages are very good. The problem is that you get several warriors who can potentially
be in your party, but only two mages and two rogues. So being a warrior is a bit redundant.
2. The best origins are Human Nobles and Dwarf Noble IMO. Mage is ok, and you get to be a Mage :lol.
3. It's possible you may wish you had another Mage, so I'd say go with a Mage if you're worried about this.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I've gone through the game probably about 10 times or so now. But have been playing non-stop for the past few weeks. I'm currently on my 3rd playthrough (including all DLC) in a row and fear I'm addicted. :lol

That said I've not had any cable channels for about 7 months so this cures the boredom and may have something to do with my playing habbits.

kai3345

Banned
Monroeski said:

1. I originally wanted to stray from my normal "go to" archetype, that being human/orc/something huge fighter, and I thought about even mage, but then I heard they're REALLY overpowered. Is it that bad? Would it detract from the enjoyment?
3. Are there any holes in a party that aren't filled by the NPCs that would be a good class to make the main character, or any particular NPCs that I wouldn't want to duplicate with my main because they're too cool to not use? For example, in the Baldur's Gate series, I wouldn't want to make my main the same as Minsc because he is AWESOME. Need to use names that spoil any parts of the story for this one (ex a character that switches sides, or is not obviously going to join you from the beginning)

I seriously doubt I'll play more than once, so I'm kind of hoping to get the moat out of my first playthrough.
1. Mages are a bit overpowered yeah
2. The best one is City Elf, but you'd have to be either a Rouge or Warrior to do that.
3. Unless you make your mage a healing mage, you probably won't end up using Morrigan who is one of the best characters in the game next to Alistair.

Agyar

darkpaladinmfc said:
1. Mages are very good. The problem is that you get several warriors who can potentially
be in your party, but only two mages and two rogues. So being a warrior is a bit redundant.
2. The best origins are Human Nobles and Dwarf Noble IMO. Mage is ok, and you get to be a Mage :lol.
3. It's possible you may wish you had another Mage, so I'd say go with a Mage if you're worried about this.

I think playing a mage is a good choice as mages are probably the hardest class to let the AI control, which means if you want to roll with one or more NPC mages, you're going to have to spend a lot of time multi-tasking between your character and the mage character/s. This may not necessarily be a bad thing if you want to play this way but you won't have a lot of other options if you play a warrior or similar. If you're playing on console, I especially recommend the mage route is it's very easy to set up classes like offense/defense warriors and ranged rogues which will be very effectively handled by the AI but AI mages are retarded no matter what you do. Playing the mage yourself and automating the other characters will streamline the combat process enough to make the console version's deficiencies (e.g. no overhead camera) much less hindrance.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Agyar said:
I think playing a mage is a good choice as mages are probably the hardest class to let the AI control, which means if you want to roll with one or more NPC mages, you're going to have to spend a lot of time multi-tasking between your character and the mage character/s. This may not necessarily be a bad thing if you want to play this way but you won't have a lot of other options if you play a warrior or similar. If you're playing on console, I especially recommend the mage route is it's very easy to set up classes like offense/defense warriors and ranged rogues which will be very effectively handled by the AI but AI mages are retarded no matter what you do. Playing the mage yourself and automating the other characters will streamline the combat process enough to make the console version's deficiencies (e.g. no overhead camera) much less hindrance.
PC all the way.

Red

I'm playing mage and I'm finding the game very difficult. I die in just about every single fight, often four or five times before I pass. Just wiped out the last three groups of enemies in the Wilds using "runscript cheat" because I was so sick of getting my ass handed to me :lol

Already played 9 hours, which seems far too long for where I am in the game. When do mages get OPed?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Crunched said:
I'm playing mage and I'm finding the game very difficult. I die in just about every single fight, often four or five times before I pass. Just wiped out the last three groups of enemies in the Wilds using "runscript cheat" because I was so sick of getting my ass handed to me :lol

Already played 9 hours, which seems far too long for where I am in the game. When do mages get OPed?
I was getting owned as my elf mage until I got Cone of Cold. From that point on, enemies feared me.

Red

K2Valor said:
I was getting owned as my elf mage until I got Cone of Cold. From that point on, enemies feared me.
I'm at level 4. I've been putting points toward entropy and defensive skills. Am I doing it wrong? I just bought death curse or whatever the skill is that blocks enemy regen and deals constant damage. Besides that, I have the level one shield ability and the default projectile.

How to beat Dragon Age with a mage:

1) Specialise mage in blood magic. Learn 'Blood Wound'. Cast BW at the start of the battle. Enjoy AOE paralysis + dot damage whilst everyone else mops up
or
2) Have tank taunt. Cast force field on tank. Tank is now invincible and won't drop aggro.

IoCaster

Crunched said:
I'm at level 4. I've been putting points toward entropy and defensive skills. Am I doing it wrong? I just bought death curse or whatever the skill is that blocks enemy regen and deals constant damage. Besides that, I have the level one shield ability and the default projectile.

There are so many ways to go with mage that it's hard to screw up. I like getting cone of cold and glyph of paralysis early. Then I get grease so I can combo it with fireball. Force field is useful and you'll want crushing prison anyway so it's worth getting. Along the way glyph of repulsion is great for keeping enemy grunts off your ass. Use it in doorways to bottle up a bunch of enemy and cast grease+fireball into the room. Just remember to hold your team from going into the room and getting torched.

For enemy mages you'll want to get mana clash eventually but that can wait until you can spare the points later in the game. Once you get a few spells and learn to use them tactically you'll be OP'd in no time at all.

EDIT: I wanted to add that glyph of repulsion also works great in narrow corridors to block enemy grunts from getting to you while you lay waste with CC spells.

Man I love the PC version. It's like playing a whole different game in terms of how the battles play out. I also love the smash lock mod and man am I happy that I found the post out the Skip the Fade mod. It was cool the first time (well still dragged and just temporarily kicked the story in the balls in terms of pacing), but besides the nightmares, I have no desire to ever do any of that again.

Agyar

viewtifulsub said:

1) Specialise mage in blood magic. Learn 'Blood Wound'. Cast BW at the start of the battle. Enjoy AOE paralysis + dot damage whilst everyone else mops up
or
2) Have tank taunt. Cast force field on tank. Tank is now invincible and won't drop aggro.

3) Cast Virulent Walking Bomb and Walking Bomb.

Arjen

Finally got a change to play this, finished it just now. Really loved it
What's the verdict on the DLC, which ones are worth playing?
I prefer post game DLC

Red

viewtifulsub said:

or
I don't have blood magic yet. Going to try getting a little farther with my current build, and if it doesn't work out I'll just respec following the advice here.

kai3345

Banned
Crunched said:
I don't have blood magic yet. Going to try getting a little farther with my current build, and if it doesn't work out I'll just respec following the advice here.
Yeah to get Blood magic you have to do a quest that the game encourages you to do last.

Kinda lame.

X-Frame

I'm going to start my first playthrough as my brother and I bought the Ultimate Edition for Xmas.

Any recommendations on character builds? Is the female VA better than the male VA like Mass Effect?

kai3345

Banned
X-Frame said:
I'm going to start my first playthrough as my brother and I bought the Ultimate Edition for Xmas.

Any recommendations on character builds? Is the female VA better than the male VA like Mass Effect?
There is no Main Character VA

As stated before Mage is pretty powerful, but the City Elf, Human, and Dwarf Noble are the best Origins, those require either a Warrior or a Rouge.

Red

X-Frame said:

I'm playing a female mage, and there are very few spoken lines for the main character. It's all incidental, like a one or two word quip that occasionally happens when opening chests. It's not like Mass Effect's dialogue.

That said, you get a few different choices for voice "personality," so that goes a little ways toward customizing it. It's all totally competent, there's just not much of it.

Unlike Mass Effect (and evidently, DA2) there is no VA for the player character in DA:O at all. There are some incidental battle cries here and there, but that's it. So just build whatever gender you like. (beaten)

Honestly, this may be a ridiculous recommendation so take it or leave it, but after having played every inch of the game, every intro and every ending, I almost recommend playing a character build of each of the six origin stories, then play the rest of the game with whichever one you liked the best. The first hour or two is different for each of the six "backgrounds": Human Noble, Dwarf Noble, Dwarf Commoner, Magi, Daelish Elf and City Elf (on the character build screen, it's at the bottom after gender, race and class. In addition to finding out which character you like the best, you'll really get a fleshed out picture of the huge, deep world DA takes place in. And there are some really cool subtleties you'll pick up on as the game progresses... NPC's that were huge in one origin story may just be a passing shopkeep or something in another, and if you play one build you'll never know it. But if you just do the first hour and a half of each one, you'll constantly be delighted at the little things you notice for the next eighty hours. I dunno, it's a thought.

X-Frame

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

So the first couple hours are going over the backstories for the characters you chose? That's a good idea. I'll probably do that!

I'm going into this game blind - any other recommendations or articles, tutorials, etc I should check out before I start?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wow so I've spent the better part of an hour trying to fix/activate Leliana's Companion Quest to no avail, trying different methods posted on message boards and on the DA wiki. Fucking grand apparently because I romanced her and brought her approval to max I can't get her to do the stupid companion quest, even breaking up with her and making her hate me, all it does it activate the dialogue I missed about
Val Royeaux and bard/spies and how she was betrayed.
But no companion quest.

QA, your shit Bioware. :|

fatty

I'm playing this for the first time after picking the Ultimate Edition up off of Steam. Playing as a Dalish Elf and I'm starting off with specializing in archery but I'm wondering if there is a game manual available? GOG.com is great with this stuff but I thought it would be available on Steam as well.

It seems a little overwhelming with all of the options even though I've played a bit of the first Baldur's Gate, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything with all of the details on runes, skill trees, etc.

fatty

kai3345 said:
ewwwwwwwwww

Didn't want to pick the 'standard' human and not really interested in a dwarves yet so I thought the non-city elves would be the most interesting. City Elf seems like it wouldn't do well in combat (yes, I know the game revolves around it but these were my initial impressions).

fatty said:
Didn't want to pick the 'standard' human and not really interested in a dwarves yet so I thought the non-city elves would be the most interesting. City Elf seems like it wouldn't do well in combat (yes, I know the game revolves around it but these were my initial impressions).

Forget the haters. Dalish elves rock.

714-daorigins-2010-09-04-21-28-00-77.jpg

1260-daorigins-2010-11-15-23-50-02-51.jpg

Tokubetsu

fatty said:

The "problem" with picking Dalish Elf is that their origin story is pretty isolated compared to the rest. You're gonna be missing out during the late game for not rolling Dwarven Noble, or human noble. I can't remember if City Elf ties in nicely but I want to say it does.

Tokubetsu said:
The "problem" with picking Dalish Elf is that their origin story is pretty isolated compared to the rest. You're gonna be missing out during the late game for not rolling Dwarven Noble, or human noble. I can't remember if City Elf ties in nicely but I want to say it does.

A few lines of dialogue maybe, but it doesn't fundamentally alter the gameplay. You certainly shouldn't let it shoehorn you into only playing those races.

I've played through all of them except as a mage, and enjoyed the Dalish elf the most, followed by Dwarven commoner.

I had this game for over a year. I just started to play it today, because of this thread, and I'm loving it. Elf Rouge. Level 1. I'm just working on the start up mission.

kai3345

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Yeah it does, especially once you get to Denerim.

Plus City Elf was the best Origin.

Top Bottom