• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

X-Frame

The origins make this much of a difference?

I mean in Mass Effect, the origins (earthborn, spacer, etc) and past experience (war hero, ruthless, etc) don't make much of a difference besides some unique missions and dialogue here and there -- but here it's a lot more important?

X-Frame said:
The origins make this much of a difference?

I mean in Mass Effect, the origins (earthborn, spacer, etc) and past experience (war hero, ruthless, etc) don't make much of a difference besides some unique missions and dialogue here and there -- but here it's a lot more important?
Here it decides the first hour of the game, and affects some later missions, and to a greater extent than what Mass Effect does.

Kurtofan

kai3345 said:
Yeah it does, especially once you get to Denerim.

Plus City Elf was the best Origin.
I love Dwarf Commoner Origin, because you feel smug going back to Orzammar "Pariah?I'm a Grey Warden now, respect me asshole"

So I'm at Haven, fighting my way through the caves, and I'm dying literally every fight.

I'm playing on 360, and thi is the first real quest I've done.

Did I do this one too early, or is this how every single dungeon is going to be in this game. I feel like I have no control over the combat on 360. What the fuck should I be doing?

Everyone right now is around level 8.

CartridgeBlower said:
So I'm at Haven, fighting my way through the caves, and I'm dying literally every fight.

I'm playing on 360, and thi is the first real quest I've done.

Did I do this one too early, or is this how every single dungeon is going to be in this game. I feel like I have no control over the combat on 360. What the fuck should I be doing?

Everyone right now is around level 8.

What class are you and who's in your party?

lastplayed said:
What class are you and who's in your party?

I'm a warrior, with Morrigan, Alstair (who seems to die every fight), and Sten.

I've tried messing with the tactics, but it seems I'm at a battle I can't win. I'm at Father Kolgrin. I've died 15 times in a row. About to retire this game.

The two mages in the back are killing me within seconds. Everyone is injured in like 4 different ways, and I'm out of injury kits. Sweet.

CartridgeBlower said:

I've tried messing with the tactics, but it seems I'm at a battle I can't win. I'm at Father Kolgrin. I've died 15 times in a row. About to retire this game.

The two mages in the back are killing me within seconds. Everyone is injured in like 4 different ways, and I'm out of injury kits. Sweet.

I'd say level 8 is a little too low to be starting the Urn of Sacred Ashes (I assume that's the quest you're on?). Have you done the Circle quest yet? Wynne is the main healer and very useful for later quests. If not, you can always turn back and start it.

lastplayed said:
I'd say level 8 is a little too low to be starting the Urn of Sacred Ashes (I assume that's the quest you're on?). Have you done the Circle quest yet? Wynne is the main healer and very useful for later quests. If not, you can always turn back and start it.

Yeah I think I'm underpowered for these battles. To get back, do I literally have to just walk all the way back? I've wasted like 2.5 hours doing this quest.

CartridgeBlower said:
Yeah I think I'm underpowered for these battles. To get back, do I literally have to just walk all the way back? I've wasted like 2.5 hours doing this quest.

Yeah, you have to walk back to the first place you can access the map to fast travel, usually it's once you get to the starting area. But it's not wasted, you can come back and carry on where you left off (once you've walked back).

Sometimes deep inside dungeons I've found myself completely empty of health and lyrium poultices, so I just leave and come back (the enemies don't respawn). It's an inconvenient diversion, but helpful.

lastplayed said:
Yeah, you have to walk back to the first place you can access the map to fast travel, usually it's once you get to the starting area. But it's not wasted, you can come back and carry on where you left off (once you've walked back).

Sometimes deep inside dungeons I've found myself completely empty of health and lyrium poultices, so I just leave and come back (the enemies don't respawn). It's an inconvenient diversion, but helpful.

Aight cool, thanks for the advice. What quest is a good one to do once I back out of here?

CartridgeBlower said:
Aight cool, thanks for the advice. What quest is a good one to do once I back out of here?

My usual quest progress goes Lothering > The Stone Prisoner (Shale DLC) > Redcliffe > Circle of Magi > then Urn of Sacred Ashes

Don't forget to sprinkle some companion quests in there too, it all helps to level you up.

I have recently gotten back into the game. I remember ages ago trying to do the
Kill Flemeth
but couldn't do it, so I gave up to level up some more and try again later. I think I was level 12 or so at the time.

I am now 50 hours in, and at level 18. I thought what the hell, I'll give it another go.

But now when I go there,
Flemeth is not there and the house is locked and it says I need a key
:/

Samurai Penguin said:
Kill Flemeth
but couldn't do it, so I gave up to level up some more and try again later. I think I was level 12 or so at the time.

I am now 50 hours in, and at level 18. I thought what the hell, I'll give it another go.

But now when I go there,
Go without Morrigan in your party. Or talk to her at camp and try to get her to activate the quest.

Samurai Penguin said:
Kill Flemeth

But now when I go there,

If the quest is active
she'll be waiting outside, you shouldn't need to enter the hut. Maybe you reloaded a game where the quest isn't active yet? Can't think of a reason she wouldn't be there...

edit - yeah, also you shouldn't take Morrigan. :p

X-Frame

kai3345 said:
The Ultimate Edition includes all DLC.

Its 24 GB

Thanks! Well, there goes all my music. I need a bigger HDD!

Also, one last question before I start playing.

Right now I installed the game data and installing the DLC from my brother's disc onto my own PS3. If I like this game, I am going to buy the Ultimate Edition myself (why I am installing the DLC before I figure this out .. no idea).

In any case, if I do this, start playing and realize I like it and buy my own disc -- there won't be any compatibility issues with the DLC and game data from my brother's disc will there?

Crazetex

X-Frame: There shouldn't be. I used my save file from the original without any DLC when I installed the Ultimate Edition; all I lost were my achievements (the save was on a USB drive; the game had been totally wiped from my hard drive).

I was fine with this because it meant I had to get First Knight again.

lastplayed said:
If the quest is active
she'll be waiting outside, you shouldn't need to enter the hut. Maybe you reloaded a game where the quest isn't active yet? Can't think of a reason she wouldn't be there...

edit - yeah, also you shouldn't take Morrigan. :p

That was my problem, I had Morrigan with me. I could have sworn I took her last time I attempted it :p

Now I am up to
The big ass Dragon on the mountain top in the Urn quest

Not realising that there would be a big ass boss, I didn't take a healer with me, so now I am fucked and have to leave and redo the whole place again and take a healer with me :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Landsmeet spoiler.

Anyone else run into the bug where
you lose the vote, have to fight your way out, but Loghain will not surrender, even when dropped to zero HP?

I couldn't get past it, even with reloading an older save, so I had to redo the whole plot line, so I could
win the Landsmeet vote and avoid having to fight him the first time.

I looked it up via Google, and there doesn't seem to be any solution, other than using the debug console to skip ahead. Freaking annoying and ruined how I wanted to play the story.
CartridgeBlower said:

Get Morrigan Mana Clash. Mages will no longer be any threat

kai3345

Banned
Samurai Penguin said:
That was my problem, I had Morrigan with me. I could have sworn I took her last time I attempted it :p

Now I am up to
The big ass Dragon on the mountain top in the Urn quest

Not realising that there would be a big ass boss, I didn't take a healer with me, so now I am fucked and have to leave and redo the whole place again and take a healer with me :lol
There's a place either in the area with the boss, or the area before where you can change your party using the change party button.

So I started this game. My first WRPG in a while. I am finding the overall story kind of confusing. I have 4 Main Quests. I think. And I'm doing the one where you try to Heal the guy at the Castle, where he had a Mage son with the Demon or whatever.... Yeah, so, I was going into this fort to fight and I realized I was low on the health items. I would like to keep playing on normal. I am a Elf Warrior with Dual Wield. I couldn't find a good place to buy all the items I need anyway although I have plenty of gold. Any advice?

ntropy

whiterabbit said:
So I started this game. My first WRPG in a while. I am finding the overall story kind of confusing. I have 4 Main Quests. I think. And I'm doing the one where you try to Heal the guy at the Castle, where he had a Mage son with the Demon or whatever.... Yeah, so, I was going into this fort to fight and I realized I was low on the health items. I would like to keep playing on normal. I am a Elf Warrior with Dual Wield. I couldn't find a good place to buy all the items I need anyway although I have plenty of gold. Any advice?
you should buy the health recipes and the components for them. much cheaper this way.

ntropy said:
you should buy the health recipes and the components for them. much cheaper this way.

Yeah, I saw a recipe once but....didn't buy it. I knew I might need to, but I'm sort of thinking I will do a "minimal" playthrough at all. Not much sidequests, just the main game. If I need to do some minor crafting (herbalism I think) though I think can handle it. Sometimes it's just tedious...and I forgot where to buy those recipes.

Crazetex

Health Poultices are great, and I highly recommend getting Herbalism on one of your favorite characters. While I'm not going to decapitate Wynne this time, my first playthrough was Warrior MC/Alistair/Morrigan/Zevran the entire time - Morrigan states early on that she's not a healer. Thus, she never learned any healing. I won the game on Normal using only Health Poultices the entire time.

2wfpo9s.jpg

Stackboy

I bought the ultimate edition of DA in the Steam Sale. It says the downloadable content is not authorised for my account. How do I go about getting it authorised?

vocab

Stackboy said:
I bought the ultimate edition of DA in the Steam Sale. It says the downloadable content is not authorised for my account. How do I go about getting it authorised?

You got to register an account at bioware social, and then you put in one of the keys. You can go in game, and download all of it after that. But if the ultimate edition comes with all that stuff, I don't see why you would have to do any of that.

kai3345

Banned
vocab said:
You got to register an account at bioware social, and then you put in one of the keys. You can go in game, and download all of it after that. But if the ultimate edition comes with all that stuff, I don't see why you would have to do any of that.
It comes already installed but you still have to register it with your BioWare account

X-Frame said:
Thanks! Well, there goes all my music. I need a bigger HDD!

Also, one last question before I start playing.

Right now I installed the game data and installing the DLC from my brother's disc onto my own PS3. If I like this game, I am going to buy the Ultimate Edition myself (why I am installing the DLC before I figure this out .. no idea).

In any case, if I do this, start playing and realize I like it and buy my own disc -- there won't be any compatibility issues with the DLC and game data from my brother's disc will there?

The answer to this is yeah, you can install the DLC from the ultimate edition and then play it using a "vanilla" disc. I do recommend installing the DLC and then NOT running the Ultimate Edition disc... throw in the vanilla disc and play that without booting the UE at all. The reason I say that is because each one installs stuff that the other doesn't recognize and feels it needs to overwrite if you switch between the two. I did it, and I got a strange "saves corrupted" message at one point (I was very frightened, but it turned out okay, they worked).

EDIT: Oh wait, you're asking about two copies that are both UE? Yeah, that's definitely fine.

X-Frame

Duane Cunningham said:
The answer to this is yeah, you can install the DLC from the ultimate edition and then play it using a "vanilla" disc. I do recommend installing the DLC and then NOT running the Ultimate Edition disc... throw in the vanilla disc and play that without booting the UE at all. The reason I say that is because each one installs stuff that the other doesn't recognize and feels it needs to overwrite if you switch between the two. I did it, and I got a strange "saves corrupted" message at one point (I was very frightened, but it turned out okay, they worked).

EDIT: Oh wait, you're asking about two copies that are both UE? Yeah, that's definitely fine.

Thanks very much!

Figured it wouldn't be an issue but then I started thinking well .. why couldn't someone with an Ultimate Disc just go to 5 of his friends houses and install the DLC on their machines and then they can play with the regular disc from a year ago with all the DLC for free?

kai3345 said:
There's a place either in the area with the boss, or the area before where you can change your party using the change party button.

I changed my party and got a healer and 2 tanks and attempted the
Dragon
several times.

After about 40 minutes of frustration, I realized that I didn't have to fight it if I didn't want too, and walked right past it :lol

Wallach

I've had a pretty weird experience with this game. Loved it (a lot) at the outset, then completely lost interest during Orzammar or whatever it's called and didn't pick it up again until recently. Feel a little detached from my save file but I'm kind of enjoying it again.

Cheech

FunkyPajamas said:
GAF, what's the consensus on the PS3 version? Is it "if that's the only way you can play it, go ahead", or is it "stay the hell away from it"?

The original version of the game on PS3 was fairly rough. However, it's been patched, and the Ultimate edition is a good deal, and it's a great game. I say go for it.

JRW

I recently purchased the Ultimate edition during the Steam holiday sales, I started playing last night and Im already hooked after 2 hours.

I normally choose a Warrior type character in RPGs but this time I decided to go with an Elf Mage and Im glad I did.

X-Frame

I started as a Human Warrior but after a coupls hours I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. I'd rather be a long range player so considering starting another file with a Rogue or Mage.

Playing on the PS3 .. does the Rouge gain LR weapons that are easy to use with the controller?

kai3345

Banned
X-Frame said:
I started as a Human Warrior but after a coupls hours I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. I'd rather be a long range player so considering starting another file with a Rogue or Mage.

Playing on the PS3 .. does the Rouge gain LR weapons that are easy to use with the controller?
Its just like using any other weapon.

Kurtofan

What are the best, least complicated build(IE I don't want to fiddle in inventary and tactics menu) in the game?The best companions and the best armies to use at the end?
I need to start again to be able to beat the Archdemon :(

kai3345

Banned
Kurtofan said:
What are the best, least complicated build(IE I don't want to fiddle in inventary and tactics menu) in the game?The best companions and the best armies to use at the end?
I seriously doubt you need to restart.

Cut the game to easy, use Shale, Wynne, Sten and your MC.

Youre pretty much going to HAVE to go into the tactics no matter what. this is like trying to beat Mario without jumping.

Since this is the final battle don't hesitate to use all of your poison weapon coatings, acid flasks, fire bombs, etc.

Also if you still can, I suggest going back and talking to Bodhan and Enchanting your gear, its a great way to get some extra damage in with your weapons.

IoCaster

Kurtofan said:

What kind of problem are you having? Who did you bring with you (in your party) to take down the AD? Remember that you can call on your allies to help defeat the AD and help keep the darkspawn off your ass during the battle. I'd suggest using mages or elves (ranged combat) for this fight.

Kurtofan

IoCaster said:
What kind of problem are you having? Who did you bring with you (in your party) to take down the AD? Remember that you can call on your allies to help defeat the AD and help keep the darkspawn off your ass during the battle. I'd suggest using mages or elves (ranged combat) for this fight.
My party is Morrigan,Loghain, Ogren and I'm a Dwarf Warrior
The armies are useless, the Darkspawn always come after me!
I have no heal spell (except the very first one) and only four poultices.

Since this is the final battle don't hesitate to use all of your poison weapon coatings, acid flasks, fire bombs, etc.
You can do that?

And I'm already on easy.

Gosh I really suck at this game I know, but I like the exploration and the interactions with the characters :(

kai3345

Banned
Kurtofan said:
My party is Morrigan,Loghain, Ogren and I'm a Dwarf Warrior
The armies are useless, the Darkspawn always come after me!
I have no heal spell (except the very first one) and only four poultices.

You can do that?

And I'm already on easy.

Gosh I really suck at this game I know, but I like the exploration and the interactions with the characters :(
why is wynne not in your party

Top Bottom