• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Sanjuro

Dipper145 said:
Yeah I agree, but I don't want to say that, and then he gets it and it doesn't run as good because this High on 4570 is some sort of weird miracle, and then he gets mad. :p

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it right now actually off steam.

Well I checked the benchmarks for the 4570 mobility. And It's benchmarks on Crysis is comparable to what I get on my x1950 pro, except I play at a higher resolution. I know this doesn't translate to every game evenly, but it's a good enough for me. I'd rather play it on PC anyway. If I can somehow finagle medium at any resolution I'll be a happy camper.
I would say go for it. Maybe when the game gets more hectic I would need to reduce more, but it is smooth and looks great to this point where I don't feel that would be a huge hurdle to overcome.

I have Crysis on my PC basically for a test. I can run that medium/high selections with no problem.

Minsc

Gold Member
MirageDwarf said:
Was it recent? I know Amazon had that policy. Not anymore.

No, it was probably almost a year ago. I was thinking it was amazing they had a policy like that when I mentioned it, and I guess it was a bit too amazing. Oh well!

snack

There's apparently a way to install the game without a CD-KEY. Can the pirates play the DLC without a genuine copy then because how can EA tell who actually bought the game and stuff?

hyduK

Banned
Zzoram said:
:lol

He'll probably max it if the other guy is getting 30fps on High with a 4570.
:lol That would be nice.

I was more worried about the 2GB of RAM + W7, but I suppose if I don't run anything in the background I should be alright. Regardless, I can handle a few choke ups once in a while.

Zzoram

h4k said:
There's apparently a way to install the game without a CD-KEY. Can the pirates play the DLC without a genuine copy then because how can EA tell who actually bought the game and stuff?

Who cares about pirates? They'll get it all sooner or later, but that doesn't affect you or me.

Zzoram

Please tell me that when rolling a character, they give a set amount of attribute points to distribute. I hated how in BG2, you'd have to re-roll constantly to get one with a higher total, since the total could vary by almost 10 points depending on your luck.

Sanjuro

hyduK said:
:lol That would be nice.

I was more worried about the 2GB of RAM + W7, but I suppose if I don't run anything in the background I should be alright. Regardless, I can handle a few choke ups once in a while.
Yeah. I have mIRC, Digsby, Steam, Chrome, and Zune running when I had the game full screen. So I would imagine 2GB would be more than enough cutting back on your similar program types.

Zzoram

Snapshot King said:
Anybody know when steams going to be sending out the DLC codes via email? Midnight pacific tonight or along with the unlock?

Steam requires codes for the DLC? I was hoping the DLC would just pre-load with the game.

epmode

Zzoram said:
Please tell me that when rolling a character, they give a set amount of attribute points to distribute. I hated how in BG2, you'd have to re-roll constantly to get one with a higher total, since the total could vary by almost 10 points depending on your luck.
Try the character creator if your computer can handle it.

And yeah, you're given default stats by class along with 5 points to spend as you see fit. No rolling. Big improvement.

Minsc said:
No, it was probably almost a year ago. I was thinking it was amazing they had a policy like that when I mentioned it, and I guess it was a bit too amazing. Oh well!

Yeah. It was too good. As you said, it was not known. When I found out, it was already over. :lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Zzoram said:

They give you an exact amount.

Zzoram

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Yeah. I have mIRC, Digsby, Steam, Chrome, and Zune running when I had the game full screen. So I would imagine 2GB would be more than enough cutting back on your similar program types.

None of those are huge resource hogs but closing unnecessary stuff can free up enough RAM to make the difference if you're borderline. I would imagine any internet browser would be a potential offender if it has a lot of images/videos cached from your session.

Sanjuro

Zzoram said:
None of those are huge resource hogs but closing unnecessary stuff can free up enough RAM to make the difference if you're borderline. I would imagine any internet browser would be a potential offender if it has a lot of images/videos cached from your session.
Chrome is somewhat, more than others. Zune takes alot of memory it seems though. My point though is I can't imagine many other programs you would like to have open to quickly use while playing a game like this.

Surfheart

Thanks alot for that manual link. Man, manuals are so pathetic these days. I used to love getting a new game and going through the manual. It's why I'm not so phased about getting the game via DD because I'm not missing out on anything.

I pulled out my Baludurs2 box for a recent playthrough in anticipation of DA and the manual for that is a ring bound 200+ page monster.

Makes me sad.

Zzoram

Surfheart said:
Thanks alot for that manual link. Man, manuals are so pathetic these days. I used to love getting a new game and going through the manual. It's why I'm not so phased about getting the game via DD because I'm not missing out on anything.

I pulled out my Baludurs2 box for a recent playthrough in anticipation of DA and the manual for that is a ring bound 200+ page monster.

Makes me sad.

Buying a new PC game used to be such a wonderful experience. I'd read the manual and install the game in the evening, and not even play the game until the next day!

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Buying a new PC game used to be such a wonderful experience. I'd read the manual and install the game in the evening, and not even play the game until the next day!

I still remember reading through the Warcraft 2 manual. That thing was amazing. :lol

Zzoram said:
Id flip to the back for random filler stuff like jokes or recipes for dungeon master cookies or some such.

Ceebs

bengraven said:
While I find that completely blasphemous, I do admit to not looking forward to click moving. :/

I made it so I could control the Witcher with WASD, but it is still kind of hard to control. Only point/click ARPGs like Torchlight, TQ, and Diablo should have that system.

You can WASD move in this game as well.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dipper145 said:
Yeah I agree, but I don't want to say that, and then he gets it and it doesn't run as good because this High on 4570 is some sort of weird miracle, and then he gets mad. :p

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it right now actually off steam.

Well I checked the benchmarks for the 4570 mobility. And It's benchmarks on Crysis is comparable to what I get on my x1950 pro, except I play at a higher resolution. I know this doesn't translate to every game evenly, but it's a good enough for me. I'd rather play it on PC anyway. If I can somehow finagle medium at any resolution I'll be a happy camper.
The x1950 pro absolutely kills, the Mobility 4570. You'll be looking for 1024x resolutions for sure.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yep, I do miss great PC packages. One thing I don't miss, however, are those code wheels hah! Or the sheets of paper with codes on them printed on red paper with black ink so you couldn't photocopy them. A simpler time.

(I'm old)

Zzoram

zombieshavebrains said:
The manual says there is no hard cap on levels...wow.

That can't be right. Unless experience requirements go up insanely later on and it's merely impossible to get past a certain level, making it an effective cap.

epmode

Surfheart said:
Thanks alot for that manual link. Man, manuals are so pathetic these days.
And this one is better than most.

I like this line: "There are hundreds of talents and spells in Dragon Age: Origins—far too many to list here. Each is described in the game."

I'm not really sure how you'd run out of space in a PDF but there you have it.

Surfheart said:

Makes me sad.

Tell me about it. I love big colorful game manuals so I buy retail copy if it is big RPG.

Zzoram

K.Jack said:
The x1950 pro absolutely kills the Mobility 4570. You'll be looking for 1024x resolutions for sure.

Actually I think he has the x1950pro, the guy who posted a screenshot at 1980x1200 on High at ~30fps has the 4570.

Swag

I'm planning on rolling a Blood Mage but I want to have Morrigan in my party at all times so not to fuck up my chances of fucking her. I've never played Baldur's Gate or any rpg of this type before, is it viable to have two mages in the 4 man party or does the gameplay benefit more from having a complete party?

Brannon

At least on the PC version, mods will definitely extend the game and thus require higher levels to even compete. Imagine, rescuing a princess *yawn* by having to go through a gauntlet full of epic monsters like an elder Sawback Manticore *oh shit!* in a neurotically complicated dungeon maze the likes of which only the most hated DMs can conjure.

And then you have to fight your way back out.

It will be awesome.

Swag

Fredescu said:
If you make one a healer and one offence it should be ok.

Damnit I wanted to be throwing cool spells with neat effects that shape shifting thing aint for me, I guess I'll roll a ranger or something.

RPGCrazied

so is the storyline really like 40hours long w/o side quests?

the map doesn't even look that big.. well I clocked like 75hours in oblivion, so if its bigger than that.. i should play a long time

Swag

MrHicks said:
HUUUGE thread
quick question

hows the ps3 version running compared to 360?

I've read that the PS3 version is having some frame rate problems but graphically they are the same.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
It's viable to have two mages in a party. It's essential to have a controller or a healer and then you can add in an offensive mage to attack from afar.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Zzoram said:
Actually I think he has the x1950pro, the guy who posted a screenshot at 1980x1200 on High at ~30fps has the 4570.
Oh I see, I misread.

Know way that 30fps @ 1200p holds true, when a 2.5x as powerful 9800GT averages 30fps at just 1680x1050.

4570 is a 64-bit chip with 80(16) pipes mang.

dejan

So I started the pre-download on Steam today and saw that the game showed up in my "my games" tab just as "Dragon Age : Origins", although I pre-purchased the UK DDE. Nothing to worry about or do I have to contact the customer service?

Zzoram said:
That can't be right. Unless experience requirements go up insanely later on and it's merely impossible to get past a certain level, making it an effective cap.
Effective/soft/adjective cap is not a hard cap. So it is right.

Dipper145

I want to get this on steam, but it won't let me use instant transfer from my back account. I have no other way to pay and I've used instant transfer for many other games on steam, and just don't know why this is happening now all of a sudden, has anyone else had this problem?

If I can't fix it I'll probably get it off D2D.

Swag

dejan said:
So I started the pre-download on Steam today and saw that the game showed up in my "my games" tab just as "Dragon Age : Origins", although I pre-purchased the UK DDE. Nothing to worry about or do I have to contact the customer service?

I got the deluxe edition as well, so I'm just going to assume it's normal until the game actually comes out? Then I guess it downloads the DLC and such.

Edit: Did some research and the dlc is apparently being managed through the EA downloader so when you load the game up it'll let you download the dlc, I'm expecting fuck ups :lol

Top Bottom