• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

senahorse

Shamelessly stolen from EviLore's OP, but it had to be said again:

yfwmkwa

:D

Dave said how his first playthrough took him 50hrs, skipping most of the side quests. Seems like Bioware did it, if the pacing is right this is a great achievement in the age of 20hr "RPGs" (looking at you ME).

koji

x3n05 said:
Shamlessly stolen from EviLore's OP, but it had to be said again:

yfwmkwa

:D

THE EG SCORE JUST GOT CALCULATED AND IT DROPPED FROM 93 TO 91!!!!

RAAAAAAAH!

let's hope they add giantbombs 5/5 so it evens out a bit!!!! :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well its obvious they prefer simpler RPGs with an emphasis on open worlds. They probably just prefer the ability to go around whacking things while they take in the scenery of a pretty looking world. They obviously don't put much merit in things like story and game mechanics.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
10ish hours until release! Time zone differences be damned. It's 6:30pm here, but I think I might go to sleep early so I can wake up at 5am and hopefully play the game a bit before work. Even better, maybe I'll call in sick tomorrow.

senahorse

Zefah said:
10ish hours until release! Time zone differences be damned. It's 6:30pm here, but I think I might go to sleep early so I can wake up at 5am and hopefully play the game a bit before work. Even better, maybe I'll call in sick tomorrow.

It says that for me too but I just know the same thing that happened with Borderlands will happen with Dragon Age, they (Valve) will reset the timer for another day or 2 to coincide with the local Aussie release. Oh well at least I have a bunch of other great games to keep me busy :D

koji

It's just what they(EG) do, everyone is giving 9s and 10s, they give it an 8. Think that makes them cool or something. Their biggest gripe seems to be with the story backdrop but after reading the books you just know you're in for a low magic world, no high fantasy stuff...

Got ahold of the PC version today, thank god for big chain stores not paying attention to release dates. My 8800M-GTX SLI, T9500 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz with 4gbs ddr2 ram @ 666Mhz can run it at very high quality, high textures, V-Sync on and 2xmsaa at around 30fps with a few drops, haven't seen it go below 23 yet though, pretty damn good for what amounts to a mid range PC from a year or 2 ago.

Played through human noble origin and really enjoyed it, good start.

Nemesis_

markot said:
EB in Australia seems to have released it already. Hopefully no hiccups!
Yeah, picked up my pre-order today. We only got enough for pre-orders too.

Glad I did. Game is really impressing me so far.

I love how after a while there are blood splatters on your characters. Adds to the realism too.

Surfheart

Really impressed and surprised how this runs on my pc. I have max in-game settings 1680x1050 with 4xAA and so far it's mostly been at the vsync cap.

Q6600@3.2/4Gb ram/9800GTX

Why did I wake up now. This is uncalled for--it is 5 am. That means 5 hours of being awake without Dragon Age. This is untoward. THIS IS NOT TOWARD.

Criticisms may hold some weight...in the previous dialogue and articulation does appear to be stilted...but those criticisms could be levelled at oblivion x 10.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
markot said:
They gave Oblivion a 10

Nuff said, ignore Eurogamer.
They also gave the witcher a 7. Considering that game is easily my favorite w-rpg this gen, and the quoted paragraph about the game's storyline can be somewhat be applied to the witcher. My hype level just increased.:D

Jesus christ. I have never seen so many contradicting reports for a console game. After seeing the gamespot review, i am even more unsure of which version im going to get. GAH.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
darkressurection said:
I really like that review, because the opening paragraph basically addresses to people like me. Also like the sound of this.
In general, the main quest is well-written, and it's backed up by excellent voicework. That said, if you stay up on your fantasy fiction, you'll probably notice some story elements that beat not-so-subtle similarities to the classic Arthurian saga or even portions of recent pulp epics, like George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels. After your origin prologue and initiation into the Grey Wardens, you're essentially given free reign to complete the main plot in whichever order you deem prudent. While mixing this sequence can change the story slightly, it's mostly a linear affair on your way to the game's final two chapters. Shifts in the narrative are more drastic within the chapters themselves, and the choices you'll make regarding certain party members make the game immensely replayable. There are multiple endings to see here, and they feel more fleshed-out and satisfying than the hastily stiched-together conclusions of something like, say, Fallout 3.

senahorse

I have tried to stay away from most of the media for this game but finally gave in by watching the Giantbomb review. Just as I had hoped the game looks and sounds epic, the reviewer took 50 hours for his first playthrough in which he skipped a lot of the side quests. :D

Ashour

I don't know what's wrong with Amazon. This is the 1st time I order from them and they screw up the order like this.

Where is my game?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
fanboi said:
spoilers?

Not really unless you want to see a bit of a sex scene with one of the girls. Some monsters and such, but no storyline spoilers that I knew of. Nothing popped out as "SPOILER" to me.

Great! Now you can all read John Walker's excellent review from PC Gamer UK.

Were the difficulty levels not so enormously silly, it would require sheer pickiness to find a major fault with this game. Importantly, overly difficult sequences can be powered through on Easy, but this doesn't excuse it being necessary. Despite the time and investment required to cultivate relationships with party members, these still feel a little clumsy, and despite my best efforts to have a gay relationship with one party member, I found myself surprised and somewhat confused to have inadvertently accepted the advances of another. Oh, and if we're listing faults, one appalling gaff is the failure to change family members' skin colour if you roleplay a non-caucasian. My main protagonist, a black man, lived as a sort of reverse 'The Jerk', where no one mentioned that his mother, father and brothers were all white. Embarrassing.

But coming out the other end of an epic 80 hours' first playthrough, I leave with memories that feel like more than simply events in a game. The friendship I formed with fellow Grey Warden Alistair has an echo of a reality. His penchant for sarcasm, his sniping conversations with Morrigan as we explored, and his struggle to balance emotion and bravado, continue to resonate.

I've not only been to huge cities, but I've learned their past, their present, and been involved in shaping their future. This hasn't felt like passing through a series of checkpoints, but having experienced a world. I know enough about the religion of the Chantry to preach their own Chants. My connection to the Grey Wardens is palpable, and the part I played an honourable one.

This is the most enormously detailed game world I've experienced, its history stretching back thousands of years, its cultures vivid, beautiful and flawed, the battles enormous, the humour superb. Roleplaying games now have a great deal to live up to.

hamchan

I like how we're reviewing reviews now. I'd have to give Dave's giant bomb review a 5/5 and the IGNAU review a 1/5. What say you?

I also see that the game is out here in Australia so I guess I'll pick this up tomorrow.

Nemesis_

Love the interaction between Morrigan and Alistair. Funny stuff. I also like Flemeth's dialogue too, surprisingly.

Great characterisation here.

I feel like I'm the only one talking about the actual GAME here. >_>

Swag

Nemesis556 said:
I feel like I'm the only one talking about the actual GAME here. >_>

Well it does only come out today and it is kinda 6 am EST in the USA so....

I have a question for you though, how's the mage gameplay feel? My worry with games like this is that it's always easier to play a physical class because the clothies always die too fast.

Nemesis_

Hmm. Depends on which spells you learn I suppose. The first thing I bought were the drain and heal spells, which have kept me alive for most of it. To be completely honest I'm really happy with how mages are dealt with. Story-wise too, they seem to be quite feared in the Dragon Age universe. A nice change.

Was there something a little bit more specific you'd wanted to know, because I'm not sure if I answered your question completely.

It's pretty fucking bad ass to (ability spoiler)
Shapeshift into a spider and just kill people

What I'm waiting for - in my 4 day anticipation for the game's release - is opinions from somebody who has tried all classes, and - conceivably - all origin stories. (It's something I was tempted by - play all six, then pick the one I most like to carry on the story with.) I was tempted to go with a Mage, but then will almost definitely have Morrigan in my party, and I like a traditional 2-tank, 1-Mage, 1-Rogue group. So I am now unsure.

BeeDog

Alright, I barely know anything about this game, but since I've played through pretty much every old Black Isle/Bioware Infinity Engine game, I know I'll like this; hype has been getting to me. :lol

Release in retail damnit!

LCfiner

that gamespot review has this particular console peasant feeling a little confused. PS3 or 360. hmmm…

back on the fence

Oh well, at least 6 more hours before I open up my wallet.

Naeblish

So who has some idea's for a crazy party setup yet?

I was thinking for my second play through a black, evil mage elf with looooong ears and 3 mages to accompany him/her (if possible), each taking a separate specialization.

Swag

Nemesis556 said:
Hmm. Depends on which spells you learn I suppose. The first thing I bought were the drain and heal spells, which have kept me alive for most of it. To be completely honest I'm really happy with how mages are dealt with. Story-wise too, they seem to be quite feared in the Dragon Age universe. A nice change.

Was there something a little bit more specific you'd wanted to know, because I'm not sure if I answered your question completely.

It's pretty fucking bad ass to (ability spoiler)
Shapeshift into a spider and just kill people

This is cool :lol , but I'm more the type of player that knows exactly who I want to have in my party at all times and I always try to make it work (I played all 3 play throughs of mass effect with Liara Wrex and Vanguard Shepherd). So naturally I'm a bit worried because I want my main character to be a mage but I want to have Morrigan, Shael, and Alistair as my continued party but don't wanna feel gimped cause I have a shapeshifter and someone dropping bombs instead of heals :lol

Acidote

The ausence of DRM is one of the main reasons I'm buying the game on release date and not after a price drop, though I'll be using a no-cd anyways.

Top Bottom