• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Lord Phol

LCfiner said:
that gamespot review has this particular console peasant feeling a little confused. PS3 or 360. hmmm…

Why's this? Haven't read any impressions or reviews, but what's the general opinion on the console versions?

andy_lhc

Lord Phol said:
Why's this? Haven't read any impressions or reviews, but what's the general opinion on the console versions?
PS3 has better textures but worse frame rates......

PS3 - 9.0
Xbox - 8.5

see5harp

Conflict NZ said:
Got ahold of the PC version today, thank god for big chain stores not paying attention to release dates. My 8800M-GTX SLI, T9500 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz with 4gbs ddr2 ram @ 666Mhz can run it at very high quality, high textures, V-Sync on and 2xmsaa at around 30fps with a few drops, haven't seen it go below 23 yet though, pretty damn good for what amounts to a mid range PC from a year or 2 ago.

Played through human noble origin and really enjoyed it, good start.

Nice to hear your "mid range PC" with dual 8800 video cards can almost keep it at a steady 30 fps. :eek:

Lord Phol

andy_lhc said:
PS3 has better textures but worse frame rates......

PS3 - 9.0
Xbox - 8.5

oh, confusing. Though shouldn't those scores be reversed? That's at least how I see it, textures vs framerate-wise.

fanboi

Banned
Lord Phol said:
oh, confusing. Though shouldn't those scores be reversed? That's at least how I see it, textures vs framerate-wise.

BACK OFF XBOT!

THIS IS OUR TIME OF JOY AND CELEBRATION!

Cohsae

Lord Phol said:
Haven't you heard? Framerates aren't important anymore.

Quasar

daemonarch said:
well since long ago they told us that the ps3 was closer to the pc version, so they were talking graphicly

Now if only Bioware and Sony could put their heads together and allow the user generated content onto the PS3 version.

Yoboman

Lord Phol said:
It's an RPG.... I'll take the visuals thanks. At least if I was settling on a peasant version

Lord Phol

Cohsae said:
Haven't you heard? Framerates aren't important anymore.
CURSE THIS NEW HIP TREND!!

Yoboman said:
It's an RPG.... I'll take the visuals thanks. At least if I was settling on a peasant version
There's some truth in that though, guess it depends on just how much of a difference there is between the textures and framerate between the versions.

Swag

markot said:
Is the user content gonna be pc only?

Yes :lol , official DLC though will prolly be on all platforms.

Digital Deluxe versions of games should unlock 24 hours earlier then normal :[

daemonarch

Neo Member
i can understand that framerate doens't matter this much on a rpg than on a race game for example,
IF its a 5/8fps diference.... and the game is perfectly playabe

daemonarch

Neo Member
just to stand my point,
in my "medium" PC i allways increase graphics the most in cost of fps

normally i'm playg 25fps (minimum to be playable to me) but with the better grapfics i can get on my pc (not talking in games that are based on speed somehow)

who doenst do this?
who decreases graphics on pc to get 60 fps stable?

I always decrease graphics to at least get ~35fps stable. Poor framerate (and tearing, and aliasing) are far, far more likely to pull me out of a game than lower quality textures, lighting, or effects.

Ploid 3.0

I'll probably be in pause most of this game anyway. Well if it's hard enough. I'll have my game by the 4th, screw December 7th, amazon was on some sauce.

Swag

agidot said:
9.5@ gamespot

Gamespot Review said:
Rather, you must improve your standings with available party members by giving them gifts

First thing I thought of was DOA Beach Volleyball :lol

Playing games with high graphics sucks when you have jittery gameplay, stuttering, aliasing etc. I get 60 FPS in Mass Effect with everything on high but once I force AA in my control panel it brings in lots of problems and near drops my fps in half. Makes me a sad panda

daemonarch

Neo Member
Acidote said:
In my PC I set everything to the lowest possible configuration and pray for the game to work :lol

lol
it happens XD

i played crysis with 20fps or less just to got the best graphics XD

btw this is the main reason o prefer consoles

Truant

daemonarch said:
lol
it happens XD

i played crysis with 20fps or less just to got the best graphics XD

btw this is the main reason o prefer consoles

I have this OCD thing about things having to be as good as they can. If I'm playing on a PC, I have to use max settings. Knowing there are more details and stuff I'm missing drives me mad. With consoles, I know I can't change anything, and it makes me relax a bit.

daemonarch

Neo Member
Truant said:
I have this OCD thing about things having to be as good as they can. If I'm playing on a PC, I have to use max settings. Knowing there are more details and stuff I'm missing drives me mad. With consoles, I know I can't change anything, and it makes me relax a bit.

exactly.

Ashour said:
I don't know what's wrong with Amazon. This is the 1st time I order from them and they screw up the order like this.

Where is my game?

Maybe it's on the way to me?

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Dragon Age: Origins $56.99 1 $56.99

Shipped via UPS

sorry!

God damn I love this game. Its everything I have been waiting for in a top down RPG. NWN tided me over, but man this rocks. Looks great too, maxed out at 1680x1050 (my monitors native res) and it sits on a rock solid 60fps without a hiccup. I dont think I seen it drop under 60 once (vsync enabled) regardless of the view or whats going on on the screen.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This thread is lacking super duper high res screens are you guys too immersed in the game to take a couple of shots. I'll fix that once I get home today. :D

The wait until I get off work at 3 is going to be agonizing today.

RPGCrazied

3 1/2hours to go!

can someone tell me what the text looks like on standard def? The text does look kinda small, and since you will be reading a lot of books/journals an whatnot.

koji

RPGCrazied said:
3 1/2hours to go!

can someone tell me what the text looks like on standard def? The text does look kinda small, and since you will be reading a lot of books/journals an whatnot.

Are you planning on playing this on console on a SDtv?

Don't think the text will be readable...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
RPGCrazied said:
3 1/2hours to go!

On my 24" monitor looks good.

Need to try on my 40" TV

RPGCrazied

uhm yea.. every game has had readable text.

dead rising an star ocean 4 have been the only one with very small text. oh well, ill make do

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
pseudocaesar said:
God damn I love this game. Its everything I have been waiting for in a top down RPG. NWN tided me over, but man this rocks. Looks great too, maxed out at 1680x1050 (my monitors native res) and it sits on a rock solid 60fps without a hiccup. I dont think I seen it drop under 60 once (vsync enabled) regardless of the view or whats going on on the screen.

If you don't mind what are the cpu specs your on?

dejan

Enduin said:
For anyone with the Steam DDE, or regular edition I guess too, I just learned why we got the little pop up message about the DAO pre-download being complete and its most likely because now inside the steamapps folder there are a bunch of files for the DLC key codes and what not.

The files are as follows for the DDE:

dragon age - origins bonus content.ncf

dragon age - origins deluxe cd key.ncf

dragon age - origins deluxe game cd key.ncf

dragon age - origins english.ncf

dragon age - origins preorder cd key.ncf

dragon age origins content.ncf
I've found the soundtrack (is this exclusive to the DDE anyway?) under the bonus folder, but none of these files. Where are they supposed to be?

Truant

RPGCrazied said:

dead rising an star ocean 4 have been the only one with very small text. oh well, ill make do

Risen on 360 used the same font and font sizes as the PC version. Pretty tough on the eyes.

eznark

Banned
RPGCrazied said:

Sacred 2 was unplayable for a friend of mine on his sd tv due to the text.

Minsc

Gold Member
RPGCrazied said:

Why not, let's all jump on. Puzzle Quest is not really readable on the Wii unless you have an HDTV (even then it's a challenge at times). Tried it on a small SDTV for a few months, and the only reason I knew what anything said is because I had played it for a long time on a HDTV before hand.

EDarkness

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick this up, but I have a question...

Looking on Play Asia, there are two versions of the game: the Asian version and the US version. The Asian version is cheaper, but I'm curious if anyone knows the difference between the two? I was hoping this would come out in Japan at the same time as the U.S. but no go on that one. I'd get it from Steam, but having to be logged in to Steam is a serious turn off. The stupid EA site won't let me order the game from Japan, either. Ugh.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
My copy just shipped this afternoon!!! going to be a long 4 or 5 days...

:(

fanboi

Banned
FZ.se (swedish site duh) gave the game 5/5

With the following Pro/Cons

Pro:

Characters
The world
The story
The combat
Graphic (lul wut)
Toolset

Cons:

Loading times

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
EDarkness said:
I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick this up, but I have a question...

Looking on Play Asia, there are two versions of the game: the Asian version and the US version. The Asian version is cheaper, but I'm curious if anyone knows the difference between the two? I was hoping this would come out in Japan at the same time as the U.S. but no go on that one. I'd get it from Steam, but having to be logged in to Steam is a serious turn off. The stupid EA site won't let me order the game from Japan, either. Ugh.

why would you think that?

I think the Asian version is just the standard one. That is the version that just shipped for me today.

TheFreshPrince

Is the girl in all the promos an NPC, or can your character look like that?

dragonagerevtop.jpg

Top Bottom