• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Nemesis_

_tetsuo_ said:
Options. Nightmare. Do it.

You're all scaring me now. Maybe I should just make my assessment from that creature one of you mentioned. I don't want to make it way too hard to the point where I won't enjoy it at all.

Not 100% which origin story I'm playing, but it all feels like Hogwarts. :lol Not that that's a bad thing, though. =D Loving it so far.

Played another 3 hrs or so. Thoughts:

yes textures are god-awful, speaking of god this game is SUPER religious (almost obnoxiously so), the loading on 360 is much quicker when game is installed to hdd; controls are very solid but can get wonky with multiple characters on screen. There is a character in the game that literally sells the DLC ... A shill NPC if you will kinda creepy. After all those caveats though, game is still addictive and fun.

Nemesis556 said:
You're all scaring me now. Maybe I should just make my assessment from that creature one of you mentioned. I don't want to make it way too hard to the point where I won't enjoy it at all.

Not 100% which origin story I'm playing, but it all feels like Hogwarts. :lol Not that that's a bad thing, though. =D Loving it so far.

What is your race and class? It will give you some idea about which origin story you're playing.

Zzoram said:
That review was a very interesting read. It suggests that although the game is mechanically sound, and the world is full of interesting things, the game fails to tug emotions or awe the player.
Review is dead-on game does indeed lack soul. Environments and art are so incredibly bland 4 hrs in.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Review is dead-on game does indeed lack soul. Environments and art are so incredibly bland 4 hrs in.

I don't know. I can't remember the last traditional RPG I played. Maybe...Dungeon Siege? It'd be nice to go back to a kind of plainer setting.

Nemesis_

I was playing the Magi story.

Quite liked the little
twist
that they had towards the end.

Just a question, is this game a whole bunch of origin stories PLUS the same main game for everyone? Or do the events taking place in the origin stories feed into the main game?

Just wondering, that's all. I picked this game up blindly knowing literally nothing, so forgive my ignorance. >_>

No45

Argh, this is doing my head in. I prefer gaming on consoles, but it really seems like I'm going to be screwing myself over on this one not playing it on the PC (My PC will run it easily). >_<

NeoUltima said:
Gamespot Review 9.5

Ps3 got a 9.0 and 360 got an 8.5 ...

don't see a score for 360. only ps3.

EDIT: nevermind. weird.

Ps3:

Good
Intricate, involving storytelling
Amazing dialogue and voice acting bring characters to life
Rich fantasy world filled with interesting lore
Enjoyable questing with plenty of twists and surprises
Lots of spells and abilities make combat fun

Bad
Various visual hiccups
Some glitches and interface irritations.

Good
Intricate, involving storytelling
Amazing dialogue and voice acting bring characters to life
Rich fantasy world filled with interesting lore
Enjoyable questing with plenty of twists and surprises
Lots of spells and abilities make combat fun.

Bad
Drab, underwhelming visuals
Some glitches and interface irritations.

Anybody got a clue whether or not the character creator and the steam version are compatible? Im gettin worried I'll have to remake everybody =(

markot

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Anybody got a clue whether or not the character creator and the steam version are compatible? Im gettin worried I'll have to remake everybody =(
I think it saves them all to documents/bioware

Doubt versions matter, all the same.

Fredescu

MirageDwarf said:
Eurogamer said:
In its desperation to infuse this setting with "maturity" - be it of the sober, political kind, or the game's painfully clumsy gore and sex - BioWare has forgotten the key ingredient of any fantasy: the fantastical. Without it, you're still left with a competent, often compelling, impressively detailed and immense RPG, but it's one that casts no spell.
About what I was expecting. Still should be good.

bran

The 360 version's crappy controls is driving me mad. I cannot stand the lack of overhead camera angle.

Trading it back in for PC version credit.

Don't even try to manually control an archer, it will kill you.

darkressurection said:
Dave is fucking awesome, always seems super knowledgeable on RPG stuff.

Considering how everytime he's on a podcast he mentions he's replaying some infinity engine game or what have you, Ill put the most stock in his review. Also, damn that video review was awesome. I didnt know about party banter. Its like the mass effect elevators are always with you!

Snapshot King said:
Considering how everytime he's on a podcast he mentions he's replaying some infinity engine game or what have you, Ill put the most stock in his review. Also, damn that video review was awesome. I didnt know about party banter. Its like the mass effect elevators are always with you!
I will say that hearing him talking about the game has made the wait extremely tough.

Druz

Naeblish said:
Eurogamer review sounded more like a 6/10, they seriously dished the game. Might be good to keep my hype in check though.

Didn't sound like a 6. Maybe a 7... still, Eurogamers written reviews are usually the ones closest to reality.

Snapshot King said:
Lets not forget though that Eurogamer fucking hates everything.

It might appear that way in a world of websites eager to please.

So, Gamespot tells us that
The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times... though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around.

Fredescu

Naeblish said:
Eurogamer review sounded more like a 6/10, they seriously dished the game. Might be good to keep my hype in check though.
I find their review to be the most believable of the ones available at the moment. Except this part: "you never feel like you can escape the gravitational pull of the game's design the way you can in, for example, Bethesda's RPGs." Yikes.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fredescu said:
I find their review to be the most believable of the ones available at the moment. Except this part: "you never feel like you can escape the gravitational pull of the game's design the way you can in, for example, Bethesda's RPGs." Yikes.

They gave Oblivion a 10 and Baldur's Gate 2 a 9.

I SAY THEY GAVE BALDUR'S GATE 2 A 9

TheFallen

whatevermort said:
gamespot said:
The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times... though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around.
Interesting. Seems odd that everyone else says the contrary.

GreekWolf

whatevermort said:
The battle for console peasantry rages on!

Seriously, it's interesting to see the variety of opinions between the console versions, over the last several pages in the thread. We have Playstation journalists, like AlphaSnake, who claim that the 360 version is noticeably superior in textures and framerate, whereas Gamespot states the complete opposite.

I wonder if this will be a veritable repeat of IGN's infamous GTA4 review :lol

Truant

whatevermort said:

I actually don't care much, but haven't Gamespot always been the one to say the PS3 versions of certain games look better, even though the majority of other people say the 360 one has the edge?

Strange indeed. Anyway, PC version looks and runs great on my i7 / GTX295 64-bit Vista rig. Looks great. At times, with the iso camera, it looks like BG2 only in 3D with actual animations. Drool.

Fredescu

TheFallen said:
Interesting. Seems odd that everyone else says the contrary.
Everyone else has said that the PS3 has framerate issues, which seems to be exactly what they're saying too. They do come out in favour of the PS3 version overall though.

GreekWolf

markot said:
They gave Oblivion a 10

Nuff said, ignore Eurogamer.
Certainly one of my all-time favorite WRPGS... but I can't imagine even the most dedicated Elder Scrolls fanatic could genuinely think that Oblivion deserved a perfect score.

Eurogamer are some strange birds.

Truant said:
Anyway, PC version looks and runs great on my i7 / GTX295 64-bit Vista rig.

Brilliant. That's what our PC is, and I've been waiting for somebody with an i7 to post opinions.

Now, as my wife plays it, she can bleat about how much better it looks than the console version I'm tiddling around with...

Top Bottom