• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

EDarkness

Blackace said:
why would you think that?

I think the Asian version is just the standard one. That is the version that just shipped for me today.

Okay. So the Asian version should be good? Okay...I'll order that one tomorrow. Heh, heh. I figured that since the asian version was coming, they'd have that version on the EA store like they had with Mass Effect.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cons:

Loading times

console version ?

reviewers should really put the NXE install in consideration as well, pretty much every 360 owner has a HDD (and for those who don't, you NEED to get one), and it works great.

fanboi

Banned
chandoog said:
console version ?

reviewers should really put the NXE install in consideration as well, pretty much every 360 owner has a HDD (and for those who don't, you NEED to get one), and it works great.

PC.

Zeliard

To all PC owners, the game is amazingly well-optimized. There's no worry there. It should run very well on a variety of machines, and a good rig will almost certainly be able to max it out with high FPS. My 8800 GTX handles it with ease, for christ's sake (though I guess this game also likes quad cores, which I have).

However, it doesn't look particularly amazing. It runs incredibly well, but it also looks like it should. It's not an ugly game at all, and some of the armor modeling and architecture and such is really nice, but I wouldn't exactly call it a looker.

However, anyone who can still play the old classics like BG2 and Torment won't care at all about the graphics in Dragon Age - they're more than nice enough for this sort of game.

Another thing about the graphics is that the facial modeling is impressive. In rare fashion, I'm actually very pleased with the way my character ended up looking (I had to re-create him since the importing screwed up). Traditionally, the main character doesn't speak, but I wish he did since the facial modeling and lip-syncing is hugely improved over Mass Effect.

Jinjo

Not everyone has a 120 gig HD for 360 too.

Just got the game too. I am totally loving the atmosphere. Game is not easy though. Or that is maybe because I have to get the hang of the battlesystem a bit more. Anyway, I am going to love this one for sure. Was in a fix for a big epic RPG again.:D

bengraven

(game is on it's way here now...should get it in 3-4 hours)

TheFreshPrince said:
Is the girl in all the promos an NPC, or can your character look like that?

dragonagerevtop.jpg

Oh hell yeah son, she's this hottie right here!

dragon-age-morrigan_172pj.jpg

So awesome, huh?

Fuck Bioware, that was one of the coolest designs I had seen in the last 10 years and they made her a middle aged crow.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
chandoog said:
console version ?

I didn't get the bigger hdd and I have 7.4 gigs of space left.. so yeah I am assed out

Rad-

Just came from my mate's, watched him play for almost 2 hours. :lol Game was fucking awesome, everyone must buy this. There was this stuttering during cut scenes and when looking around + some nasty pop in (and enemies disappeared randomly). However I'm getting it for PC so these shouldn't matter to me. Come on friday!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
There is a character in the game that literally sells the DLC ... A shill NPC if you will kinda creepy.

Kind of creepy and kind of annoying.

(Paraphrased)
"Oh you there, please! My family has been shamed, please take this quest, won't you please take it?!"

"Yes I will... (download content)"

I found that so frustrating... and heavy handed.

fanboi

Banned
bengraven said:

dragon-age-morrigan_172pj.jpg

So awesome, huh?

Fuck Bioware, that was one of the coolest designs I had seen in the last 10 years and they made her a middle aged crow.

Fap. Eat. Shower.

You will not be able to do this within the next 50-70 hours.

JudgeN

After all the horrible previews with blood/sex and Marilyn Manson music. I'm remain on the fence till we get some trusted GAF impressions. Reviews tend to always give Bioware games good review but once people get them in their hands the flaws start showing up quickly.

Zeliard

Nemesis556 said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I misheard the Sloth Demon and now I can't answer the riddles he presented to me. This is very early on in the game.

Stupid game.

Really loving it though, despite being only about 30 minutes in

I failed the second riddle with that guy and had to
murder his ass.

bengraven

JudgeN said:
After all the horrible previews with blood/sex and Marilyn Manson music. I'm remain on the fence till we get some trusted GAF impressions. Reviews tend to always give Bioware games good review but once people get them in their hands the flaws start showing up quickly.

There HAVE been impressions by GAFfers...?

fanboi said:
Fap. Eat. Shower.

You will not be able to do this within the next 50-70 hours.

I would love to fap, don't even get me started. That pic of goth club girl 21 year old Morrigan has me all fired up. ( :lol )

seriously can someone mod Morrigan real quick for me before I play?

Ploid 3.0

bengraven said:

http://www.cdaction.pl/obrazki/dragon-age-morrigan_172pj.jpg

So awesome, huh?

Fuck Bioware, that was one of the coolest designs I had seen in the last 10 years and they made her a middle aged crow.[/QUOTE]

The same for [IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/2ivi6ba.png

Jinjo

JudgeN said:

Flaws? In a Bioware game?

bfie55.jpg

Yeah. :lol

I think the character models in the game look pretty nice. Artwork always looks better offcourse. But it's not hard to get a non-goblin character out of the editor and NPC's don't look like some of, sorry all of, the uglies you see in say Oblivion.

Textures in the environment are so-so though.

That gamespot review of the console version has me tossing and turning, I have no idea which one to grab now. They really make it seem like the visual quality between the two is very noticable while the framerate barely is...uhhhhh

bengraven

Ploid 3.0 said:
The same for
2ivi6ba.png

Again, a confusing mess on Bioware's part.

In the CGI trailers she's this badass rogue superhero.

In the video they showed of her ingame, she's this naive, yet insane woman in a long, cleric-like rogue. I actually thought she was the team healer until I saw the first CGI trailer.

Her voice even sounds different. In the CGI trailer her voice is lower, more controlled. In the video she has a really tragic accent and acts like a brainless foreign exchange student.

eznark

Banned
FuttBuck said:
That gamespot review of the console version has me tossing and turning, I have no idea which one to grab now. They really make it seem like the visual quality between the two is very noticable while the framerate barely is...uhhhhh
Seemed clear that it doesn't really matter that much. Blurry v. framey

LCfiner

FuttBuck said:

ha ha, I know!

now I'm starting to think about things like how much I prefer each controller or whether I want achievements or not.

I'm just waiting for the IGN US review to say the exact opposite about the two console versions :lol

Zeliard

I think someone earlier was worried about picking a mage because he might have fewer conversational options than the warrior or rogue (since strength and cunning, not the most useful mage stats, modify intimidation and persuasion) - that isn't the case. There seem to be dialogue options in the game modified/created by your Willpower stat (similar to Fallout & Intelligence), and are preceded by a [Willpower] tag.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Stupid Gamespot! Now I am confused, I was psyching myself up to get this game on the 360 - but now apparently the differences are minimal, if not in the PS3's favour :(. I am confused!

Swag

Zeliard said:
I think someone earlier was worried about picking a mage because he might have fewer conversational options than the warrior or rogue (since strength and cunning, not the most useful mage stats, modify intimidation and persuasion) - that isn't the case. There seem to be dialogue options in the game modified/created by your Willpower stat (similar to Fallout & Intelligence), and are preceded by a [Willpower] tag.

I didn't even realize this :lol , Bioware were really thorough it seems.

LCfiner

Zeliard said:

Ah, that's good news (for this mage, anyway). pretty sure it was Fredescu who first brought that up. The wikia didn't mention anything about Willpower but I'm glad that's in there.

Hari Seldon

Yeah if I was buying a console version, I would get the PS3 version and hope that they patch the frame rate problems later. They aren't going to patch in better textures for the 360.

Kinitari said:
Stupid Gamespot! Now I am confused, I was psyching myself up to get this game on the 360 - but now apparently the differences are minimal, if not in the PS3's favour :(. I am confused!

The Master Race shall guide you.....

eznark

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
Yeah if I was buying a console version, I would get the PS3 version and hope that they patch the frame rate problems later. They aren't going to patch in better textures for the 360.
And also hope for mod support.

I'd definitely pick up the PS3 version (in fact, barring new impressions I will likely be double dipping soon).

I really hope my iMac will be able to handle this game. I tried looking up what the Radeon HD 2600 ranked up to but I couldn't find anything. Guess I'll find out in a few hours when Steam decides to be nice and release it.

Nyx

Kinitari said:

Read this Kotaku PS3 review, and start having even more doubts.

http://kotaku.com/5395135/dragon-age-origins-review-tripping-the-blight-fantastic

Bugs Aplenty: My time with the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age was not without troubles. In fact, my 60 or so hours in the game were plagued with annoying little glitches that, while not breaking the game completely, did hamper the experience. Some special combat animations were way off, with my character performing finishing blows in the air next to the boss I had just downed. Sound glitched frequently, leaving me watching a character's lips move while no words came. On a few occasions the screen would glitch when a character was speaking, showing broken geometry instead of the person talking. I also had issues with monsters dying and taking up to 30 seconds to register as dead, making me have to wait to loot bodies and in some cases delaying the completion of certain quests.

Perhaps the biggest bug I encountered was during the final battle, when I simply could not progress. BioWare suggested it was due to a monster I needed to kill falling through the world. I wound up having to load a previous save in order to complete the game. Luckily the game had autosaved just before the battle started, but it was definitely more frustration than I needed.

Chugga Chugga Frame Rate: Dragon Age is a pretty game, but when it really starts moving, things get ugly. With only a couple of characters on the screen things aren't too bad, leaning towards the high 20's frame rate-wise, but when you're in a big battle or a crowd scene, things dip into the middle to high teens. Mind you I am guestimating here...it's not like I have some magical PS3 FPS tool, but the dip is definitely noticeable.

chico

its stupid that a failed pickpocketing attempt has no consequences whatsoever! would it be that difficult to implement a kind of penalty system?

you try to steal someone...it fails and nothing happens. shouldnt the npc getting angry?!

eznark

Banned
Nyx said:
Read this Kotaku PS3 review, and start having even more doubts.

http://kotaku.com/5395135/dragon-age-origins-review-tripping-the-blight-fantastic
40 hours? That's the quickest playthrough I think I've seen. Dave Snider at GiantBomb took over 50 and said he skipped a big chunk of the sidequests.

ou try to steal someone...it fails and nothing happens. shouldnt the npc getting angry?!

I don't know, that part is kind of annoying in Risen. If you accidentally pick up a loaf of bread from a table you have to eight cast a spell to charm the person or slaughter the whole town.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
chico said:
its stupid that a failed pickpocketing attempt has no consequences whatsoever! would it be that difficult to implement a kind of penalty system?

you try to steal someone...it fails and nothing happens. shouldnt the npc getting angry?!

The problem is that pickpocketing systems with consequences result in either the player ignoring pickpocketing or abusing quicksave/quickload.

hermit7

I won't be able to tell the differences probably (textures) anyways so I think that I am going to be getting the 360 version.

fanboi

Banned
EviLore said:
The problem is that pickpocketing systems with consequences result in either the player ignoring pickpocketing or abusing quicksave/quickload.

But now they can pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *fail*pickpock *Succed*

Without enduring the reload time... :|

Zeliard

LCfiner said:
Ah, that's good news (for this mage, anyway). pretty sure it was Fredescu who first brought that up. The wikia didn't mention anything about Willpower but I'm glad that's in there.

Yeah. Though I didn't get a Willpower option until I had gotten the Coercion skill, which I think is a pre-requisite to the fun dialogue options.

This is what the wiki says:

Coercion
Passive
Requires: 10 Cunning
The character is influential enough to convince others to change their views. Strength contributes to a more intimidating character, whereas cunning contributes to a more persuasive character.

I don't remember exactly what the Willpower option said, but I think it was more persuasive than intimidating. Maybe it's just a combination of both for Willpower, while the other two concentrate on just one.

Glad for the positive reviews, but how come? :lol

Don't get me wrong, it's not news for Bioware to make another great game, but DA looked like crap just months ago.
wink.gif

Pre-ordered the deluxe edition 5 hours ago off of steam, 5 more hours to go. :D

Top Bottom