• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

chico

EviLore said:
The problem is that pickpocketing systems with consequences result in either the player ignoring pickpocketing or abusing quicksave/quickload.

right... but you could make it better instead of dumbing it down.
maybe a "warning" in a specific color before stealing somone. green= 70-100% chance yellow= 40-70% red=0-40%. someting like that...

its much more satisfying succesfully pickpocket someone if you know you can get caught.

i cant remember anymore but how did Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter Nights handle pickpocketing?

TheFreshPrince

If I can run Dragon Age well on my PC, are the differences in graphics/interface/difficulty/combat enough to justify that over the 360 version?

Only thing really tying me to the console version is Achievements, but the list is pretty brutal, requiring a handful of playthroughs.

LCfiner

L0st Id3ntity said:
Glad for the positive reviews, but how come? :lol

Don't get me wrong, it's not news for Bioware to make another great game, but DA looked like crap just months ago.
wink.gif

Pre-ordered the deluxe edition 5 hours ago off of steam, 5 more hours to go. :D

the promotional videos that came out of Bioware looked awful with the attitude and metal music. Maybe they appealed to people who don't like RPGs but they looked terrible to me.

I only saw a couple and basically ignored the game for a long time. But the video quicklooks from Giant Bomb plus the details in some reviews put the game back on my radar in a big way.

Mudo

I just read the Gamespot review, and I have to say that is one of the most positive, gushing reviews I have ever read! As if I wasn't excited already, I'm starting to literally freak out at this point lol. Can't wait til after work to get into this :D

bengraven

Zeliard said:
Don't worry, I believe you, buddy. Really. I do.

But I'm...really sick.

:lol

(you know, UPS arriving would cure my food poisoning...maybe not the shits I have, but food poisoning)

L0st Id3ntity said:
Glad for the positive reviews, but how come? :lol

Don't get me wrong, it's not news for Bioware to make another great game, but DA looked like crap just months ago.
wink.gif

I don't think it looked like crap. The marketing was shoddy, that much is fair to say, but the game probably wasn't that different to the state it's in now. Only, now, people are actually getting to spend time with it properly and report on their thoughts.

Zeliard

bengraven said:
But I'm...really sick.

:lol

(you know, UPS arriving would cure my food poisoning...maybe not the shits I have, but food poisoning)

Didn't you make like 10 characters? Did you figure out which one you're starting with? :p

Truant

By the way, how do I import the characters I made using the CC into my retail copy? I couldn't figure it out, so I just made a character that looks just like Jack from Lost.

Sanjuro

Sebulon3k said:
How long did it take you to clear through the main story?
Na, I'm just playing. I was hoping a generate a reaction like this from the people I was talking about how the game runs on PC on their way out to buy the game today.

27x2hcp.gif

I can see this game taking quite some time to play. The main quest probably can be short, but I'm only in the first town and the range of dialog and how well the speech is in this game will have you playing and wanting to do everything. Everything so far is wonderful.

Swag

LCfiner said:

What :lol ? I thought it was wierd that most reviews are citing 50+ hours and he wants it to be longer. Am I being baited into something here? I'm running on no sleep from last night the hype is keeping me going so I'm quite out of it

Edit

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Na, I'm just playing. I was hoping a generate a reaction like this from the people I was talking about how the game runs on PC on their way out to buy the game today.

Figured it was something like this

Truant said:
By the way, how do I import the characters I made using the CC into my retail copy? I couldn't figure it out, so I just made a character that looks just like Jack from Lost.
I don't know how it will work, but the characters are saved as .chr files somewhere on your hard drive ("charactername".chr, in fact). In Win7 they're in My Documents\Bioware\Dragon Age\Pre-release Characters.

Zeliard

bengraven said:
A-hem.

Dwarf peasant rogue probably.

Dwarf peasant should be an interesting origin. That's a character who probably doesn't have things too easy.

Truant said:

When you start a new game it gives you the option to import a character from the character creator.

K.Sabot

I remember when people touted Mass Effect for being a long winded RPG. When I bought the game, my first play through clocked in at 15 hours. : /

We'll see how wrong I am again.

Edit: Also, what's with everyone in the game having humongous lips?

Edit sequel: Actually on second glance, the lips look quite convex as opposed to being 'large' as I first stated.

Zzoram

K.Sabot said:
I remember when people touted Mass Effect for being a long winded RPG. When I bought the game, my first play through clocked in at 15 hours. : /

We'll see how wrong I am again.

My first playthrough of Mass Effect was 40 hours because I did every side quest in the game, including all the ore/tags/etc collection quests.

My Steam pre-load finished in under 6 hours (I was sleeping so I don't know how quickly). Nice.

LCfiner

K.Sabot said:

We'll see how wrong we are again.

actually, I distinctly remember multiple reviews saying Mass Effect was a "short" RPG. like 10 or 12 hours with no sidequests. It took me around 15 hours to get through my first playthrough of it.

Dragon Age looks to have a lot more content.

SanjuroTsubaki said:

27x2hcp.gif

I can see this game taking quite some time to play. The main quest probably can be short, but I'm only in the first town and the range of dialog and how well the speech is in this game will have you playing and wanting to do everything. Everything so far is wonderful.

so the game runs good for you? you get your l4d2 performance sorted also?

FrankT

Nyx said:
Read this Kotaku PS3 review, and start having even more doubts.

http://kotaku.com/5395135/dragon-age-origins-review-tripping-the-blight-fantastic

Yea things get jittery when you swivel the camera around GS. Bullocks. Should have docked it as well with that kind of performance (as others here have said it should have been beforehand). I'll take the stable framerate over the textures even if that point flys in the face of what some have said here. I would also like the load time comparisons with an HDD. It's a small miracle they had it up day and date as well.

Liberty4all

Banned

Sanjuro

ZombieSupaStar said:
so the game runs good for you? you get your l4d2 performance sorted also?
Yeah, I have it running smooth with my current settings. Dragon Age wasn't very hard to tweak to run properly, L4D2 took a bit more trial and error to find out what worked best.

beast786

Will be picking up for PS3. I am going to reward Bioware for actually doing a good first job on PS3 . Instead of other companies with crappy port.

It was nice to see the release date moved up and the quality wasnt comprimised. I have a feeling the sony did its best to help bioware.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
TheFreshPrince said:
If I can run Dragon Age well on my PC, are the differences in enough to justify that over the 360 version?

Only thing really tying me to the console version is Achievements, but the list is pretty brutal, requiring a handful of playthroughs.
Would you really choose Achievements over better graphics/interface/difficulty/combat?

This generation is all kinds of screwy. :lol

painey

I want to get into it because I love the BG/PT style D&D.. but 3rd person real time combat.. urgh.. and from what i hear the console version has really low quickslots and annoying unpausing when you select abilities.. but my PC won't run well .. argh.. torn...

K.Jack said:
Would you really choose Achievements over better graphics/interface/difficulty/combat?

This generation would be a lot better if people would stop questioning why and how people play video games.

Acidote

K.Jack said:

And that, considering the game has achievements in PC. In fact, it has more achievements than the console versions as far as I know.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
K.Jack said:

Even worse, the PC version supposedly has at least three times the number of achievements that the 360 version does.

EDIT: Damn you Acidote

Kade

Just got this game but I'm at school and can't play. :(

What does registering for the BioWare Online thing give me?

fanboi

Banned
So, will Bioware create games from this universe now on? Instead of D&D? Because now they have their own inhouse world, they can do what they want.

fanboi said:
But he have a bloody point.

No, I'm not sure why it is "objective" that better frame rate/graphics = more fun than achievements and the Live interface. I would rather play a shittier game with the Xbox Live interface than better game somewhere else because, to me, playing on Live where I can party chat, message friends, and search for achievements just makes for a more enjoyable experience.

I never cared about user interfaces at all before this generation, but now they make a pretty big difference in terms of my enjoyment. I'm not sure why that means I'm "wrong" because I don't value shinier textures over these other features. It's not like shinier textures are going to actually effect my enjoyment one iota whereas being able to stay in communications with my friends while I play will effect it.

Have it in at my Gamestop. Heading over there now. Its so nice when you don't have a job and you had to drop the semester due to an ongoing illness. I'll have plenty of time with this baby.

Well more than half way through the 2nd book now. I think I will finish reading it before starting the game. Hell I'll probably finish it before it unlocks on steam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Am I imagining things or is the voice actor of Alistair the same as that of Harry Flynn in Uncharted 2? They have both the voice actors of Harry and Chloe from UC2? That is going to provide for some interesting moments.

RoH

just read the game spot review; they seem to think the PS3 version is the console version to get. Whats up with that?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Best Buy told me they are having shipping issues with the PS3 version at all stores. They don't have them in yet, but plenty of the 360 version. I ended up just buying the 360 CE since they told me they might get them in later today or sometime tomorrow and I'm pretty busy then.

fanboi

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Well more than half way through the 2nd book now. I think I will finish reading it before starting the game. Hell I'll probably finish it before it unlocks on steam.

Is the books good? Is it related to the game?

Dartastic

If you get the collectors edition or the Stone Prisoner DLC, I HIGHLY suggest using Shale pretty much all the time. He kicks all sortsa ass. Seriously. Also, my easiest playthrough was with a dual wielding warrior, if you just wanna plow through the game. I had... issues playing as other characters, but that's probably just due to my play style. :lol

Zefah said:
Am I imagining things or is the voice actor of Alistair the same as that of Harry Flynn in Uncharted 2? They have both the voice actors of Harry and Chloe from UC2? That is going to provide for some interesting moments.

Yeah, I think it is. Funny how voice actors are drawn from such a small pool of talent. I am fully expecting Nolan North and Jennifer Hale to play every other character in this.

Dartastic said:
If you get the collectors edition or the Stone Prisoner DLC, I HIGHLY suggest using Shale pretty much all the time. He kicks all sortsa ass. Seriously. Also, my easiest playthrough was with a dual wielding warrior, if you just wanna plow through the game. I had... issues playing as other characters, but that's probably just due to my play style. :lol

Your EASIEST? How many have you done now then?

Top Bottom