• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Cheech

gregor7777 said:
This generation would be a lot better if people would stop questioning why and how people play video games.

Here, here. Although, I am holding out for the N-gage version, complete with cartridge-inserting metagame.

I need to confirm whether or not as an Amazon pre-orderer of the 360 CE whether or not I'm getting the damn Warden's Keep. This is easily the most confusing game launch I have ever seen. Day 1 DLC just exacerbates the issue.

Can some helpful soul re-post the preorder/version chart? I've been clicking on random pages in this thread (and the OP, in case it was added), and haven't been able to find it. Thanks mucho.

anddo0

Darkness said:
Best Buy told me they are having shipping issues with the PS3 version at all stores. They don't have them in yet, but plenty of the 360 version. I ended up just buying the 360 CE since they told me they might get them in later today or sometime tomorrow and I'm pretty busy then.

It seems that maybe retailers didn't get the memo? My GS has the 360 version in, but no PS3 as of yet.

Zeliard

Dartastic said:
If you get the collectors edition or the Stone Prisoner DLC, I HIGHLY suggest using Shale. He kicks all sortsa ass. Seriously. Also, my easiest playthrough was with a dual wielding warrior, if you just wanna plow through the game. I had... issues playing as other characters, but that's probably just due to my play style. :lol

At what point in the game does Shale become available?

Dartastic

Cheech said:
I need to confirm whether or not as an Amazon pre-orderer of the 360 CE whether or not I'm getting the damn Warden's Keep. This is easily the most confusing game launch I have ever seen. Day 1 DLC just exacerbates the issue.

Can some helpful soul re-post the preorder/version chart? I've been clicking on random pages in this thread (and the OP, in case it was added), and haven't been able to find it. Thanks mucho.

I'm pretty sure Warden's Keep is paid DLC on all platforms. All of them get Stone Prisoner. Which sucks, because Warden's Keep is pretty rad, and you get some SWEET armor from it.

koji

Lostconfused said:
Well more than half way through the 2nd book now. I think I will finish reading it before starting the game. Hell I'll probably finish it before it unlocks on steam.

I personally like the second book a lot more like the first one, first one felt so "simple" at times.

fanboi said:
Is the books good? Is it related to the game?

Kinda, they do a good job fleshing out the DA universe.

FrankT

Darkness said:
Best Buy told me they are having shipping issues with the PS3 version at all stores. They don't have them in yet, but plenty of the 360 version. I ended up just buying the 360 CE since they told me they might get them in later today or sometime tomorrow and I'm pretty busy then.

That would explain the Amazon delay then. Anyhow, they actually had the CE in stock without reserve then?

Dartastic said:
I'm pretty sure Warden's Keep is paid DLC on all platforms. CE gets Stone Prisoner. Which sucks, because Warden's Keep is pretty rad, and you get some SWEET armor from it.

I thought stone prisoner was free with every new copy. Or am I thinking of something else?

Yea it is;

Every new retail box of DA:O contains a promotional code on a promotional code card which when redeemed provides a free download of The Stone Prisoner. Digital purchases of DA:O will have the code emailed.

fanboi said:
Better than the first. The first one is a loose prequel, the events take place like a decade or more before the game. The 2nd book seems a lot closer, maybe something close to how the first mass effect book was. Its more interesting and possibly better written.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
whatevermort said:
Yeah, I think it is. Funny how voice actors are drawn from such a small pool of talent. I am fully expecting Nolan North and Jennifer Hale to play every other character in this.

Your EASIEST? How many have you done now then?

Awesome! I thought that was the same guy.

I very much look forward to the banter between Morrigan and Alistair.

Dartastic

Zeliard said:
At what point in the game does Shale become available?

You have to play the game for a little while, and then you wind up wandering into a random encounter somewhere while traveling through towns (at least I believe that's how it happens, I can't remember exactly, it might also be a small node on your main map... =p) who
where some merchant offers to sell you some magical wand that controls him. If you buy it from him (ahem, buy the dlc or enter your code) you can go to the town where Shale is.
I remember being able to get him pretty quickly into the adventure, it shouldn't take TOO long.

Jtyettis said:
I thought stone prisoner was free with every new copy. Or am I thinking of something else?
You're right. My bad. Warden's Keep only comes with the digital deluxe edition I think...

Cheech

Dartastic said:
I'm pretty sure Warden's Keep is paid DLC on all platforms. CE gets Stone Prisoner. Which sucks, because Warden's Keep is pretty rad, and you get some SWEET armor from it.

OK, thanks. I know I want it, but it is complete BS that they didn't just give it to CE people. It's not like it was a cheap CE, either. It's seven dollars for the DLC. I know it's cliche to say by this point, but I find this generation of gaming to have some really annoying aspects.

Cheech said:

Warden's Keep only comes free with the Collector's Editions of the downloaded versions to compensate for the physical extras everyone else gets. That's the only DLC as of right now you'd have to pay for.

edit: late

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
gregor7777 said:
This generation would be a lot better if people would stop questioning why and how people play video games.
It was his questioning sir, not mine. He has access to both versions, and would choose the lesser for Achievements. I'll take the gameplay improvements every time. That is all.

Lan_97

Did anyone's PS3 CE ship? Amazon says Nov 23rd, EA store says preorder ends Nov 16th for PS3. This makes the "exciting ps3 announcement" even less exciting than it already was. :(

Cheech

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Warden's Keep only comes free with the Collector's Editions of the downloaded versions to compensate for the physical extras everyone else gets. That's the only DLC as of right now you'd have to pay for.

edit: late

No, that does actually make some sense. Thanks for the explanation. I've been trying to keep up in this thread once or twice a day, but damn, it moves fast!

Porkepik

I'm looking to buy DA. Still not sure on 360,ps3 or PC.

I will be buying a new laptop in the coming weeks. It will be an asus G60vx. It has a P7400 C2D, GTX260M graphic card and 4 gigs or ram. Would anyone think it would run Dragon Age fluently and nearly maxed out in 720p (i will be projecting the screen with my projector, 100 inch screen yeah)?

If not I will be looking in the PS3 or 360 version after more people have an hand with it. I'm wary of bugs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Porkepik said:

I will be buying a new laptop in the coming weeks. It will be an asus G60vx. It has a P7400 C2D, GTX260M graphic card and 4 gigs or ram. Would anyone think it would run Dragon Age fluently and nearly maxed out in 720p (i will be projecting the screen with my projector, 100 inch screen yeah)?

If not I will be looking in the PS3 or 360 version after more people have an hand with it. I'm wary of bugs.

Worse hardware runs it fine at higher resolutions. Get it for the PC.

lostxii

fanboi said:
Most characters from the first book aren't in the game. I haven't read much of the second, but it seems to tie-in more closely to the game.

Dartastic

Porkepik said:

I'd go PC, honestly. Mostly because it does look and run better than the console versions if you've got the PC to back it up (which you probably will), plus you'll have access to all the mods that people make, which will hopefully be really huge. If controls play an issue, go 360. It does seem more like KOTOR if you play it on the consoles.

whatevermort said:
Your EASIEST? How many have you done now then?

Only two full playthroughs, once as a mage and once as a warrior. The mage wasn't bad, but the warrior was definitely a bit easier. I've also got a quite a bit of time logged as other classes, but i never really got a full playthrough out of them... didn't have the time. This time I'm going to try and play through as an Arcane Warrior! =p

bran said:
The 360 version's crappy controls is driving me mad. I cannot stand the lack of overhead camera angle.

Trading it back in for PC version credit.

Don't even try to manually control an archer, it will kill you.
Anyone else having problems with this? I was going to play as a rogue-archer, but I might think about tweaking my build if there are issues with it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Porkepik said:

720p is no problem for the 260M, 30 frames at that res is no sweat. I'll be playing at 1680x1050 with the same GPU.

asdad123

So I have this preloaded on steam and I never bought a game from steam before. When will I be able to play it? It still says its not out

Porkepik

Zefah said:
Worse hardware runs it fine at higher resolutions. Get it for the PC.
Thanks that settles it. The possibility of mods and isometric view makes the PC version very attractive. It has been quite a long while that I have bought a new PC game (except deals on steam like TF2 for 2.49$) Current rig cannot play anything (athlon 2600+,1gig,7600 gs from 2003). I have been gaming mainly on consoles the last few years.

Last games I played on the PC were HAlf life 2 and Baldur's gate 2 so.....

Dartastic said:
Only two full playthroughs, once as a mage and once as a warrior. The mage wasn't bad, but the warrior was definitely a bit easier. I've also got a quite a bit of time logged as other classes, but i never really got a full playthrough out of them... didn't have the time. This time I'm going to try and play through as an Arcane Warrior! =p

Any benefits to either in terms of story? The Mage origin seemed interesting to me, but I'm fairly open to other options...

Dartastic

whatevermort said:
Any benefits to either in terms of story? The Mage origin seemed interesting to me, but I'm fairly open to other options...

Not really. The biggest thing that the opening sequence does is change your dialog options and how people talk to you; if you play as a forest elf, people will treat you differently than if you were a human noble, or even a city elf. There aren't really any benefits, per say. It just changes the way the game responds to you. I like the Mage story and the Human Noble the most, personally, but they're all pretty cool.

Edit - Just to go a bit deeper... Let's say you do go mage. When you go back to the mage's tower, people will know who you are and respond accordingly. The game does cool stuff like that.

syllogism

Interesting

Hey Tom,

For what it's worth, 'EA' has nothing to do with this (apart from being the parent company of BioWare).

The game was designed with limited inventory for a number of reasons, the least of which being to limit savegame size and therefore loadtimes.

Originally there was a small storage chest in the party camp, until we realized that due to the fact that there are several versions of the camp area (for reasons evident in the story) and that people were losing their items (as they were stored in the area).

By the time this problem was discovered, we had not enough time to fix the problem, plus, we decided that it was not really necessary anyway since the item limitation was rather generous compared to the initial designs at least.

The game was finalized tested without a storage chest. The item limit was never questioned or brought up during the QA phase, after all, it was part of the design.

The 'storage chest' in Warden's Keep DLC was added by the DLC team as part of their 'hey, what would be a cool feature for your own keep' brainstorming.

I'm fine with you being upset about the item limit design in the game - and fine with you being upset about the chest being included in the DLC, but I must protest the 'Oh, EA is pushing the limit for more money' tagline, because that's just not what has happened.

I categorically reject that any features or game systems in this game were designed or removed to 'bilk users for more money'

-- Georg
Lead Systems Designer
Dragon Age
georg@bioware.com

A few screenshots from the PC version. 2560x1600 max everything. Pictures don't capture the full glory due to resize but you get the picture. The game runs great and I'm really digging it so far.

50ieww.jpg

24cccnm.jpg

1zd0vma.jpg

1zveww4.jpg

2myqes9.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'd say the mage origin is rather boring. But then again, I've played through it three times. The dwarf storyline is the most "riveting" in terms of tension.

Oh man I just remembered how good the final show down with Saren was in mass effect. Hope there is something as good or better in dragon age.

Ok, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to PC gaming but this game has made me debate whether to get it on PC instead of 360 due to the issues mentioned. My problem is that my Dell pc is a few years old with the following specs:

E6400 dual core 2.13Ghz processor
2gb ram
256mb ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Would I be better of sticking to the 360?

FrankT

Bamelin said:
I've heard there are delay's on the PS3 version. Anyone else hearing this?

Yea, that is what someone mentioned earlier;

Darkness said:

Himuro said:

Now that is a cameltoe if I ever seen one. :lol

Off to pick up my copy!

Varjis

Lostconfused said:
Oh man I just remembered how good the final show down with Saren was in mass effect. Hope there is something as good or better in dragon age.

I'd prefer something on par with Jon Irenicus.. but that is just me. :D

mackloon

Neo Member
My PS3 version has shipped from Amazon, and Gamestop called to let me know my pre-order was in even though I cancelled it.

Dennis

Banned
Screenshots are 1920x1200 downsized from 2560x1600.

8xAA, 16xAF, all settings max.

I am getting about 40 fps with an 4870x2.

Game plays like Baldurs Gate 2, basically. At least combat-wise.

Zeliard

Haunted said:
So how are people going to play this - over the shoulder or top down isometric?

I've been playing mostly top-down but I switch to a closer view at times because an horizontal view of the plane can make some of the exploration a bit easier (and also for added variety). During combat I stay almost exclusively in an isometric-type view, occasionally zooming in just for aesthetic reasons.

Top Bottom