• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Artchur

Zefah said:
If it can run L4D2 without too much of a problem you should be able to run Dragon Age. It seems like the game is optimized pretty well. That G210M sounds like a pretty weak card (I think it is the equivalent or slightly lesser version of a 9600M), but if you keep the resolution around 1280x800 or lower I bet you won't have too many problems running the game. Some settings might need to be turned down to get it running smooth, but I really have no idea.

Well, good to know. I am hesitant so I think I will try and finish some of the other games I have picked up in the last few weeks. Maybe by then I will be able to get in on some sweet weekend deal action on steam. :D

Nemesis_

clashfan said:
I find it alittle strange that my character doesn't speak my conversation selection.

Yeah, me too. I loved the way Shepherd spoke in Mass Effect, it really created the character for me.

Still, the game definitely makes up for it with those people travelling around me, I must admit.

I actually find the game *very* pretty...zoomed out to the over-the-top camera angle. Looks like a modern Infinity Engine game then. Very appealing.

Truant

Anyone else getting laggy menus and dialogue screens after playing for two-three hours? A restart fixes everything, though, no biggie.

TheHeretic said:
It does when you run through it, not when you drive through it. I'm pretty sure when you look down running through water you see ripples.

no. i shot the water at least when i was riding around in the open area. i shot it on foot and nothing. i even walked through the puddle i think in Arid Hills. nothing lol.

markot

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I actually find the game *very* pretty...zoomed out to the over-the-top camera angle. Looks like a modern Infinity Engine game then. Very appealing.
Too hard to see where you are going in that view >.<

Aptos

Gamer @ Heart said:
Man, going through the Wilds....this is not a pretty game, but its fun as shit.
PC or Console? I find the maxed PC settings pretty good. Other than character cutscene animations and the hand models.

Zeliard

The graphics can be a bit inconsistent, especially the texture work, but the game has moments where it's eye-catching in its beauty. A lot of moments, actually.

Mindlog

tons and tons of dialogue, codex, lots of quests

I'm having fun just letting quests finish as they may. Not trying to do everything perfect (which is to easy to try and do in most current RPGs.) just letting whatever happens... happen. This is different. I'm normally a save/reloading fiend.

I've just encountered my first new party member beyond 4 and I'm pretty sure I can see where the 6th will come from. I got my Warrior, Allistar seems cool and morrigignargn is useful. I can't get rid of my doggy. I don't know if I ever will use any new party members I pick up :lol

a lot of minor improvements in this game that I hope were influenced/ will influence Mass Effect/2

great game I already see myself getting my money's worth

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The first area you travel to as a city elf is actually much smoother than the opening town. I can get used to this.

bigswords

DMPrince said:
no. i shot the water at least when i was riding around in the open area. i shot it on foot and nothing. i even walked through the puddle i think in Arid Hills. nothing lol.

Hmmm you can drive in Dragon Age, what is this Arid Hills are you speaking of?

Sounds like Borderlands?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
God, I can't wait to play this.

I can't believe so many people are talking about console versions, lol. j/k btw, glad everyone can play it.

bigswords said:
Hmmm you can drive in Dragon Age, what is this Arid Hills are you speaking of?

Sounds like Borderlands?

Borderlands. didn't mean to go offtopic ;P

On Topic. I purchased Wardens Keep just for the hell of it.

Zzoram

If only they let me use MSPoints for the PC version of Warden's Keep. I've had ~800 points on my account for over a year.

Swag

When do I get Shael >:[

I just realised something looking through the menus, characters can leave if their approval of your leadership drops to a certain point, does this mean Alistair can leave even though he's important to the plot?

Doing things to impress Morrigan brings my Alistair approval low, Dilemma :lol

Aptos

DMPrince said:
On Topic. I purchased Wardens Keep just for the hell of it.
How much did it cost? What are these points? I feel like console peasantry seeing these points in my game :p

Wow...I am REALLY enjoying this game.

...and to think that their brutal fuckin' marketing had me convinced at one point that Bioware had completely lost their minds and this was going to be utter shit.

So, being a console gamer I was afraid of this game because the combat seems so PC-ish. But I just learned that you can let the NPC AI do it's own thing. Can you play the game effectively like that? I liked KOTOR and ME btw.

DMPrince said:

PC version? I'm pretty sure but maybe i'm thinking of another game.

bigswords

Musashi Wins! said:
God, I can't wait to play this.

I can't believe so many people are talking about console versions, lol. j/k btw, glad everyone can play it.

Because we peasant folk numbers exceed the master race such as yourself. lol.

Damn talk about a
repressed race
, have any of you tried the Elf City origin?

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Mindlog said:
I'm having fun just letting quests finish as they may. Not trying to do everything perfect (which is to easy to try and do in most current RPGs.) just letting whatever happens... happen. This is different. I'm normally a save/reloading fiend.

That's one thing I'm loving about this game. Normally I'm one of those who has to find the best outcome for a multi-ending quest, by reloading or researching ahead of time.

But I tried doing one of the quests in the mage origin story two ways, and it appears that there's no "right" way to do it... so I just did it how I'd have done it.

I know that's how you're supposed to roll in an RPG, but I always have trouble separating out my desire to maximize the gameplay and just playing a role. Since the beneficial/failure outcomes of these quests seem so murky I think I'll have an easier time just doing what my character would do.

PTCoakley said:
Loving the noble dwarf story, but the hilariously bad N64 wrestling game audience in the arena from the beginning was so out of place.

That's what I'm playing at the moment and I lol'd too.

And I'm playing on the hardest difficulty at the moment and wow...it's haaaaaaaard.

bounchfx

shit this game is awesome, my only complaint as of now is my main character won't stop saying stupid shit like ' GET OFF MY BACK ILL GET U A LADDER' or "ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!" every 3rd time I right click. it's annoying as hell

Aptos said:
How much did it cost? What are these points? I feel like console peasantry seeing these points in my game :p

560 points. in USD it's 7 dollars. and i got charged tax for online products? WTF total came out to be 7.63.

Click Buy Points in game to see ;P

TheHeretic said:
PC version? I'm pretty sure but maybe i'm thinking of another game.
yes pc. unless i'm not shooting the right water area ;P

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game is fantastic. So many dialog options and a lot of people to talk to. The architecture is pretty impressive as well. I like the slick feel of the menus on the 360 version. They definitely optimized the speed for consoles. I hate when ports happen and the menus are clunky and messy and take a while to load.

Also, THANK THE LORD for some nice anti-aliasing in the 360 version. No jaggies!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
origins.jpg

Looks decent on PS3, right? I'll snag the 360 version from a friend at some point so I can compare.

Zeliard

Gattsu25 said:
Do I need to go terribly out of my way in order to become a Blood Mage

Blood Mage and Shapeshifter are the specs I'll probably be gunning for. Whichever one is easier to unlock will probably be first.

Cohsae

So I just beat that first boss at the tower and then my game decided to crash. Woo.
Also I've been getting some weird flickering now and then. Alt+Tab'ing seems to make it go away but does anyone have any idea what this is? I just updated my nVidia drivers today so it's not that.

Druz

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, me too. I loved the way Shepherd spoke in Mass Effect, it really created the character for me.

Still, the game definitely makes up for it with those people travelling around me, I must admit.

I already know what my character is going to say. Shepherds voice became unbearable before the end.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ughh can't get a steady 60fps. One area it's fine, locked at 60. Another area it's way down. Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Zinthar

anarchron said:
Wow that actually looks much better than mine on my 360...

What's your TV?

Looks like it's a Pioneer Kuro plasma... which is the best you can buy, so that probably helps quite a bit.

mr stroke

Teknopathetic said:

+1

love the game zoomed all the way out. I couldn't imagine playing it any other way, it makes battles much easier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The tactical camera definitely helps with issuing commands and it looks quite good, but I love zooming in for a closer view during the action.

jorder247

Zefah said:
You can recover injuries by using injury kits. Surely you have a few of those in your inventory?

You don't get access to the camp until after the Battle of Ostagar when the world map opens up. There is an icon in the top-right corner of the world map that allows you to go into your party's camp which I believe automatically recovers all injuries.
How do you even know that you have injuries?

Do you get them when your characters die in a battle and then are revived after you win?

Mrbob

Yeah it looks a bit weak. I just turned the option off in the menu...seeing the blood on the characters after battle is a bit annoying and odd looking. Don't know why my characters are completely bloodstained after taking out a couple rats. :lol

jorder247

My blood looks fine. Not anywhere near that bad. I'd say it looks good.

Then again, I'm playing at 1920x1080 at full maximum settings. If your AA is 8x though it shouldn't even be a problem. Maybe restart your game.

Nemesis_

Zeliard said:
Blood Mage and Shapeshifter are the specs I'll probably be gunning for. Whichever one is easier to unlock will probably be first.

Gah! I was offered Blood Mage but I chose sex over it.

What a fucking waste that was.

Zeliard

jorder247 said:
How do you even know that you have injuries?

Do you get them when your characters die in a battle and then are revived after you win?

On the character screens you'll see a red icon on the top right of their profile. If you put your cursor over it, it lists the injury and the effect. It appears on the taskbar as well where the buffs are. You don't have to die to get them.

Top Bottom