• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zzoram

Zoomed out all the way makes the game look like a beautiful painting. I'm running 1680x1050, Very High graphics, High textures, 8xAA, vsync on. It's running fine in the house I started in so far. E8400, 4GB RAM, HD4870 512MB, Vista x64

If it starts to chug in battles I'll turn down the AA. Oddly enough, the in-game cutscene that the game started with had a lower framerate than my time in the starter house.

jorder247

Zeliard said:
On the character screens you'll see a red icon on the top right of their profile. If you put your cursor over it, it lists the injury and the effect. It appears on the taskbar as well where the buffs are. You don't have to die to get them.
So basically if my characters were injured, I'd know.

Jobias

DevelopmentArrested said:
Holy fuck is there any way out of this Fade area.. i just dont want to do this anymore.
To open doors as a golem, just open them as normal; you'll automatically use your Hurl skill to throw a boulder at them to open them up. If you have all four forms (and I assume you do since you have the golem form), complete all the nodes in a clockwise fashion starting from 1 o'clock. Remember to hit the three 'A Nightmare' nodes as well to free your party members; you will need them for the battle against Sloth.

You cannot leave the Fade until you kill Sloth.

fionel

Would really appreciate if someone can post a video of the PS3 version when it chugs bad so we can gauge for ourselves whether it is acceptable or not.

Has anyone had issues with the size of the UI/text? I'm using my TV for the PC version, and I'm sitting pretty far away - the UI doesn't seem well suited for that situation.

I wonder if there's some way to scale up the UI a little bit? Would really improve the playability.

Saterium

DayShallCome said:
Has anyone had issues with the size of the UI/text? I'm using my TV for the PC version, and I'm sitting pretty far away - the UI doesn't seem well suited for that situation.

I wonder if there's some way to scale up the UI a little bit? Would really improve the playability.

I'd love to know if this is possible too.

jorder247

DayShallCome said:

I'm sure there will be some mods that will do that.

koji

Himuro said:
I can't be the only one having trouble with Anti Alias

What grafics card/drivers are you using Himuro? Some driver releases/cards have issues with AA in certain games, could be someting like that mate.

Have you tried "forcing" AA in your 3d settings instead of using the in game options?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm kinda glad I staved off and will just grab it on PC. I tried out the 360 version for about an hour or so and whilst I enjoyed it, I can see this game really opening up in terms of gameplay mechanics with a keyboard & mouse.

jorma

is now taking requests
Is there a delay after all on the PS3 version? I ordered this game from the US, but it has not been shipped yet :X

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man sometimes this game really does look almost pre-rendered

4073918559_298c0e7cd9_b.jpg

Love the iso view but I do swoop in every now and then to check out combat animations. A lot of them are really nice. Also just beat the first boss. Thank god it was much tougher than that 360 stream I watched. Had to use hit and run tactics the entire time.

BlueWord

About six hours in, here. I know I've been mostly (or entirely? I'm not sure.) absent in this thread, but I've been following it closely. Been playing on my Macbook Pro (yes, feel free to laugh, if you are so inclined). 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, Nvidia 9600m 512mb - in other words, not terrific, but I can still run on relatively high settings with no really noticeable dips in fps.

That said, graphics really, really aren't a big factor in the game. The art direction is nice, sure, but the graphics really do nothing to help; they aren't offensive, but they are definitely a little rough. Everyone already knew this, though.

The plot has me suitably entertained, thus far, though I'm not too fond of some of these characters. So far, the dog has taken the cake as my favorite party member

Combat and exploration are really wonderful, though the dungeons are a little linear, so far. Not much branching, or surprises.

Regardless, the game is really great; it's not exactly that BG2 throwback that I was hoping for, I honestly think it owes more to Kotor and the more recent BioWare outings... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Just in case anyone cares about the early impressions of a junior member.
:lol

Ceebs

This game gives you some unexpected moral choices. I had to think about this one for a bit. I was expecting more cut and dry good vs evil stuff.

Redcliff Castle Spoiler (playing as a mage):
Choice A: Kill a child, Choice B: Let a Blood Mage kill his mother

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Man, Morrigan doesn't like when I'm even remotely nice to people. :lol :lol

Yeah it sucks trying to court her when I am playing my character as a generally nice and understanding fellow. Luckily I can give her gifts and talk with her at camp to raise her approval rating so it doesn't get too low. I even got a kiss from her earlier!

Right now my party consists of Morrigan, Alistair and Leliana. I must say, having just played through Uncharted 2 three times it is very interesting to hear the snarky banter between Alistair and Morrigan while we walk around. I can't help but conjure images of Chloe and Flynn.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ceebs said:
This game gives you some unexpected moral choices. I had to think about this one for a bit. I was expecting more cut and dry good vs evil stuff.

I'm right at that point (well a little past it I guess). I took Choice C:
Go to the mage tower and beg them for help. I just arrived at the tower and it looks like the shit has hit the fan here. I'm going to have to help them before I can borrow any mages to help me enter the Fade and save the Arl Eamon's son.

Anyway, I'm gonna take a break for now. I haven't played a game this long in one sitting in a very long time.

koji

Himuro said:
Nvidia Geforce 260M, latest drivers. On second thought I think it make just be low res textures, even though I have textures on High.

Could be, some settings not sticking in the options or something.

This might be a long shot but I get the best performance on my GPUs using reference drivers from the manufacturers website, even if they are a couple driverreleases behind. (compared to the latests nvidia WHQL, I had some problems with everything 190+ release on my GTX295 when I used the nvidia ones...)

Maybe try using the nvidia control panel, the global settings to force the AA. Could be tons of stuff, but from that screen it looks more like low res textures indeed, certainly compared to _tetsuo_'s screen

Ceebs

Zefah said:
I'm right at that point (well a little past it I guess). I took Choice C:
Go to the mage tower and beg them for help. I just arrived at the tower and it looks like the shit has hit the fan here. I'm going to have to help them before I can borrow any mages to help me enter the Fade and save the Arl Eamon's son.

Anyway, I'm gonna take a break for now. I haven't played a game this long in one sitting in a very long time.

It seems going into the fade is where you pick up the blood magic specialization btw

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ceebs said:

Maybe you can help me.

Spoilers right before this quest I guess.

The Attack at Nightfall mission. Uh, how does this end? Do I do something to trigger it? I killed all the undead and there's nothing left. But it keeps going and I can't exit anywhere.

Ceebs

Kintaro said:
Maybe you can help me.

The Attack at Nightfall mission. Uh, how does this end? Do I do something to trigger it? I killed all the undead and there's nothing left. But it keeps going and I can't exit anywhere.

After the archer part by the lake I ran around and looted a few bodies and then it ended.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Maybe you can help me.

Did you go back and forth between the upper area (where the knights are) and the lower area (where the militia is) until all enemies are dead? I was getting destroyed when I first tried the militia area so I ran back up to the knights to have them help me out. After I recovered I went back down to discover the militia had all be slain and a fresh batch of undead had taken over the area. I brought them back up to the knights and after a few more minutes of fighting a cutscene was triggered. The whole event might just be time based ala a survival mode because I think there were still a few zombies on the field when it concluded. You might just have to fight until dawn.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm getting my ass handed to me left right and center. I'm about 9 hours into the game, and random encounters while travelling are frequently killing all of my party members...also my party members are retards that can't seem to attack things standing right next to them unless I micromanage, which is pretty irritating.

I've given my guys the best possible armor there is available, but I'm still getting killed in a few seconds flat. What am I doing wrong? :\

(playing on normal btw)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm getting my ass handed to me left right and center. I'm about 9 hours into the game, and random encounters while travelling are frequently killing all of my party members...also my party members are retards that can't seem to attack things standing right next to them unless I micromanage, which is pretty irritating.

I've given my guys the best possible armor there is available, but I'm still getting killed in a few seconds flat. What am I doing wrong? :\

(playing on normal btw)

PC? Did you press the "H" key by chance? That commands your party to 'hold' and not doing anything unless commanded. Are you using the crowd control abilities like shield bash, shield pummel, stuns, etc... to reduce the enemies damage output? Are you keeping ranged fighters far away and working on aggro management so your "tanks" are the ones taking the majority of the damage? Are you using the sustained buffs that are available to you? Positioning is also important and your guys will do more damage if you are behind an enemy. Conversely an enemy will hurt you a lot more if you have their back to them.

Kintaro

Ceebs said:
After the archer part by the lake I ran around and looted a few bodies and then it ended.

I can't seem to trigger this. I start the mission fine. With the NPC knights. Undead rush down, we kill them all and then...nothing.

Caught your edit. I'll keep trying.

Also, am I alone in preferring to micromanage my party completely? The gambit crap can suck it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zefah said:
PC? Did you press the "H" key by chance? That commands your party to 'hold' and not doing anything unless commanded. Are you using the crowd control abilities like shield bash, shield pummel, stuns, etc... to reduce the enemies damage output? Are you keeping ranged fighters far away and working on aggro management so your "tanks" are the ones taking the majority of the damage? Are you using the sustained buffs that are available to you? Positioning is also important and your guys will do more damage if you are behind an enemy. Conversely an enemy will hurt you a lot more if you have their back to them.

360. I'm trying to get my characters to do intelligent things through the tactics menu (a la gambits). I'm guessing that's a fool's errand?

I only meant to whet my appetite today, but ended up playing the game like four hours straight and I only just
picked up Morrigan
. Love it. It runs with a choppy framerate on my old, underpowered computer, but it's perfectly playable. The writing and voice acting is absolutely top notch, as expected of Bioware. I expect to get a lot of mileage out of this game.

Incidentally, has anyone figured out where to unlock the Arcane Warrior spec? That's what I'm aiming for first.

longdi

Banned
technically the witcher looks better.
da has a consistent artwork and the performance is so optimised, cannot really complain.
i still find the battles too fast. how do you issue click commands without your characters go crazy hack and slash.

thetrin

I'm turning this down to casual. Regular dungeons don't pose any problem for me, but random battles are slaughtering me. Maybe I'll turn it back up to normal when I'm tired of being a sissy.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Man, Shale is such a god damn HK-47 tribute its amazing. I keep expecting him to call me a meatbag. :lol

Drool, can't wait to go do that quest.

I seem to have a memory leak while playing this so I'm doing some updates, hopefully it fixes it.

Truant

I love the subtle nods and pokes at Biowares previous games.

'Would you like to gather your party and venture forth?'

For those not in the know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XFxKXdbqY

Shinjitsu said:
Drool, can't wait to go do that quest.

I seem to have a memory leak while playing this so I'm doing some updates, hopefully it fixes it.

Same here. Menus and conversations start to lag after a few hours. Gameplay works as usual. What are you doing to fix it?

Also,

Anyone experimenting with AA settings on nVidia cards?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Truant said:

I had a huge grin on my face when I first encountered that. Awesome throwback.

Ceebs

Truant said:
Same here. Menus and conversations start to lag after a few hours. Gameplay works as usual. What are you doing to fix it?

I am having the same issues as well. It takes about 4-5 hours for it to start though, but it slows down conversations, menus and loading to crawl.

Yeah, probably my only problem with the game, I passed level 7 a while back and that fucking specialization point is staring me in the face. Playing a warrior and the only one I even know where to find is Allistairs Templar, but he's a long way off from giving it to me.

Kintaro

Yeah, this quest/mission or whatever is glitched for me. =/ I've hit every inch of the map and it won't trigger.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Truant said:

Also,

Anyone experimenting with AA settings on nVidia cards?

I looked around on the forums a bit, apparently the Catalyst 9.9 drivers have some issues with the game if you are running a ATI card. So I'm downgrading to 9.7

There's also a bios update out for my machine so I'm going to give that a shot as well.

Ceebs

Has Bioware mentioned what the level cap is? I had assumed it would be 20, but that is starting to seem low based on how little I have done so far.

Shinjitsu said:
I looked around on the forums a bit, apparently the Catalyst 9.9 drivers have some issues with the game if you are running a ATI card. So I'm downgrading to 9.7

There's also a bios update out for my machine so I'm going to give that a shot as well.

I already had to do some bios digging on mine. I was getting some crazy jerky framerates. Turns out the stupid AMD Cool and Quiet crap had been turned back on somehow. Turn it off and rock solid 60 FPS.

Truant

Shinjitsu said:

Running nVidia here. Might just be a problem with the actual game. Oblivion had similar problems, probably a caching thing, and they fixed that after a few weeks.

Also, what are people's percentage/time played?

I'm at 10 hours, 7% complete. Promising.

Acosta

Snapshot King said:
Yeah, probably my only problem with the game, I passed level 7 a while back and that fucking specialization point is staring me in the face. Playing a warrior and the only one I even know where to find is Allistairs Templar, but he's a long way off from giving it to me.

Talk with the dwarf commerciant in the campment, I think he has the book to unblock Templar specialization.

I understand you, but I'm at higher level and I think I have saved 2 skill points and 9 or so of atributes points waiting for when I can unblock the damn battle mage specialization (I need, need! to get rid of that dreadful mage cloth).

Truant said:

A couple months back I was in a bar with a friend I hadn't seen in a year or more; we were about to leave, but couldn't find the others we came in. Out of nowhere, I heard myself say: "We better gather our party before venturing forth." And the two of us collapsed with laughter, even though that friend probably hadn't played a BG game in seven or eight years. It was heartwarming.

Top Bottom