• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Chris R

PC users, how well done is the UI/Controls. I've been really disappointed with the majority of games that were also released on consoles (don't want to call all of them console ports, but some are) and just how damn horrible the controls and UI are (Oblivion is one that easily stands out in my mind)

Also, what exactly are the custom mod options? World editor ala NW2 included in the game or nothing at all, or somewhere between?

Tain

PC users, how well done is the UI/Controls. I've been really disappointed with the majority of games that were also released on consoles (don't want to call all of them console ports, but some are) and just how damn horrible the controls and UI are (Oblivion is one that easily stands out in my mind)

This game is PC like whoa.

You've got zero to worry about, here, I think.

glaurung

rhfb said:

Also, what exactly are the custom mod options? World editor ala NW2 included in the game or nothing at all, or somewhere between?
The inventory system is pretty cumbersome, but otherwise good.

This is a little offtopic but did anyone preorder Dragon Age off of Amazon, and if they did when do you get your preorder bonuses and stuff?

Stone Prisoner and mass effect armor is included in package. For other items, haven't received anything yet.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Shinjitsu said:
Could someone be so kind as to look at see what your CPU usage is when playing this for me?

Last night i saw CPU at 90%+- (Quad core 2)

Doytch

Anyone else feel Bioware didn't balance this for the Infinity Engine view? Bunch of times I'll start getting hit before I see someone when I could've seen them in OTS mode. Maybe it's resolution-bound a bit, but I'm at 1680*1050, so it really shouldn't be that for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:

The UI and Controls are pretty much the best you will find in a PC RPG. It controls like an MMORPG when you scroll in to a behind-the-back view and you can also click to move so it can control like the Infinity Engine games if you zoom out to a top-down view. You can even move with just the mouse like in an MMORPG by clicking the left mouse button while holding down the right button.

The game plays so well with a mouse and keyboard that I have a hard time imagining how it plays on the consoles without massive gameplay changes. There is no "console-itis" to be found here.

Doytch said:
Anyone else feel Bioware didn't balance this for the Infinity Engine view? Bunch of times I'll start getting hit before I see someone when I could've seen them in OTS mode. Maybe it's resolution-bound a bit, but I'm at 1680*1050, so it really shouldn't be that for me.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Tactical play is completely feasible in this view although I spend most of my time zoomed in on the action more. The camera angle isn't locked like the Infinity Engine games so obviously there will be situations where you will have to reposition it.

Ponn

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Stone Prisoner and mass effect armor is included in package. For other items, haven't received anything yet.

Wait, you didn't get the boots and memory band in your shipment? Have you emailed them yet? Now i'm worried about my copy I ordered from Amazon.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Is Sulcher's Pass Shale's quest? I am just done with Ostagar and was thinking of picking him up first before doing anything... though I already have 4 party members =P

Doytch

Zefah said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Tactical play is completely feasible in this view although I spend most of my time zoomed in on the action more. The camera angle isn't locked like the Infinity Engine games so obviously there will be situations where you will have to reposition it.
Right, it's just that when outside of battle, you need to move the camera ahead of where you're going to go so that you don't get ambushed. It's just a little annoyance that you have to manage it so much.

Played through the mage origin last night and was constantly struck by the quality of this game. You just don't see games this rich in so many areas any more. Admittedly RPG is my favorite genre, but this game is really, really amazing.

Effect

I know the textures are better on the PS3 but since I don't have a PS3 the 360 or PC are my two options. Just how much worse are the 360 textures? Noticeably bad or just off but still noticeable if you compare the two side by side?

wRATH2x

Banned
If a guy never played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, etc. But fucking loves Mass Effect. Would he enjoy Dragon Age?

Alex

If the PC is an option for you, why bother with a console version? Am I missing something?

If a guy never played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, etc. But fucking loves Mass Effect. Would he enjoy Dragon Age?

I think so, yes. Might want to read up on it a bit but ultimately I think if you're keen to the type of experience, you could make the leap from a game like Mass Effect to Dragon Age.

Alex

BigNastyCurve said:
Achievements, couch, no fussing with drivers, etc.

...I'm talking to the guy asking for advice on what version to buy. Calm down :lol

Cute list, anyway.

LCfiner

Effect said:
I know the textures are better on the PS3 but since I don't have a PS3 the 360 or PC are my two options. Just how much worse are the 360 textures? Noticeably bad or just off but still noticeable if you compare the two side by side?

I can't find PS3 vs. 360 screenshots yet but here's some 360 vs. PC screenshots from pcgames.de

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,698746/Dragon-Age-Origins-Xbox-360-und-PC-im-Grafikvergleich-PC-gewinnt-haushoch/PC/Special/?menu=browser&image_id=1216158&browsersize=fullscreen

keep clicking next for more screens.

slight difference from the superior PC version. nothing crazy, IMO. I think the PS3 version has lower res textures than the PC version, so the difference would be even more minimal between PS3 and 360.

Wrath2X said:

did he love ME for the sci fi setting or for the familiar Bioware RPG aspects?

I would say Dragon Age is a very safe bet unless someone REALLY can't stand fantasy settings.

epmode

Doytch said:
Right, it's just that when outside of battle, you need to move the camera ahead of where you're going to go so that you don't get ambushed. It's just a little annoyance that you have to manage it so much.
Isometric view is awesome but it's combat-only for me.

If you're worried about being ambushed, turn on the option to automatically pause the game when battle starts.

Alex

epmode said:
Isometric view is awesome but it's combat-only for me.

If you're worried about being ambushed, turn on the option to automatically pause the game when battle starts.

I swap between the camera types constantly, myself. Isometric is amazing for combat situations and general exploring around, but I do pop into third person for a closer look at things.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wrath2X said:

Now that I have been forcibly removed from playing the game because I had to go to work I can post some impressions. I quoted this post because my impressions are addressing this very question. I've never played a game quite like Dragon Age. Didn't play BG 1 or 2 didn't play NWN, but I did play Mass Effect on 360.

Holy fucking shit. I LOVE THIS GAME. First off let me state that I'm playing this on PC. I've fallen in love with the gameplay mechanics. I got a taste of pause and plan tactics via Mass Effect, but to use it in all it's glory on PC is fucking amazing. I've never quite had a game experience like this. There is a real sense of urgency unlike other RPG's I've played. Real thought has to be put into how you are going to come out of most all encounters alive. Spamming a fireball or certain attack will not get you out of a jam like I've gotten used to with most other modern RPG's. It takes serious battle tactics.

What have I been missing all of these years. Why did I never play BG... I LOVE THIS GAME.

So Wrath2X if you liked Mass Effect get dragon age. I almost guarantee you will fall in love with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BigNastyCurve said:

I don't know if you are serious, but stop this shit. There are more achievements in the PC version than the consoles. Or do you just want to boost some overarching "gamescore"? The couch is no less available to the PC than the consoles. This is a game that does not support a controller, so I guess that could be an argument if you absolutely cannot play video games without an Xbox 360 or PS3 controller in your hands. And fussing with drivers? Seriously now...

fanboi

Banned
So I bought it from gamersgate, downloaded it.
Now I logged in with my EA account, used the redeem codes... all I have to do is login through the game to be able to dl the DLC? (Using the same account?)

daemonarch

Neo Member
Alex said:
If the PC is an option for you, why bother with a console version? Am I missing something?

why its so dificult to eccept that some ppl prefer to play on console than pc?

i have both pc and ps3 versions and i'm playng on ps3,
(and yes my pc version runs good with all on max)

but i prefer to stay confortable on my couch playng on my big tv than on my desk for hours...
normaly i only play MMOs on my pc or games that are only released on pc
i only can understantd the critics about the best console version

its a question of choice...

btw how its possible that there is no screnshot/video comparison in 360 vs ps3 version?
is there any embargo on that or wat? and wats the point in comparing condole/pc? is there anyone that thinks the console could be better than pc?

Minsc

Gold Member
_tetsuo_ said:
Man sometimes this game really does look almost pre-rendered

4073918559_298c0e7cd9_b.jpg

Love the iso view but I do swoop in every now and then to check out combat animations. A lot of them are really nice. Also just beat the first boss. Thank god it was much tougher than that 360 stream I watched. Had to use hit and run tactics the entire time.

Best screen so far. Really looking forward to playing this now!

aryies

Neo Member
BigNastyCurve said:

funny, i play sitting on my couch in front of a 50" kuro, and i didnt have to mess with any driver settings, it even had the game set to max by default. i guess achievements are REALY important to people.

also 8xAA+60fp=consolole?

Truant

Not playing in iso as much as I thought I would. Feels kinda strange compared to BG2, can't put my finger on it. Using it pretty much only in combat or when exploring tighter areas.

wRATH2x

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
Now that I have been forcibly removed from playing the game because I had to go to work I can post some impressions. I quoted this post because my impressions are addressing this very question. I've never played a game quite like Dragon Age. Didn't play BG 1 or 2 didn't play NWN, but I did play Mass Effect on 360.

Holy fucking shit. I LOVE THIS GAME. First off let me state that I'm playing this on PC. I've fallen in love with the gameplay mechanics. I got a taste of pause and plan tactics via Mass Effect, but to use it in all it's glory on PC is fucking amazing. I've never quite had a game experience like this. There is a real sense of urgency unlike other RPG's I've played. Real thought has to be put into how you are going to come out of most all encounters alive. Spamming a fireball or certain attack will not get you out of a jam like I've gotten used to with most other modern RPG's. It takes serious battle tactics.

What have I been missing all of these years. Why did I never play BG... I LOVE THIS GAME.

So Wrath2X if you liked Mass Effect get dragon age. I almost guarantee you will fall in love with it.
Now all I need is the money :lol

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Alex

but i prefer to stay confortable on my couch playng on my big tv than on my desk for hours...

Because, I was not talking to you or anyone but the one person asking for version advice in general.

And awkwardly, I play while sitting on my couch, on my HDTV. Amazingly enough you can hook things other than a monitor to a PC, it can also use controllers and all kinds of other things, wow! My PC is also hooked up to a 5.1 system, fucking lunacy!

At least you didn't say drivers, though.

LCfiner

all you guys with the PC vs. console bullshit, jeesh! let it go. this is a thread of love!
sweet, blood spattered love

aryies

Neo Member
Truant said:
Not playing in iso as much as I thought I would. Feels kinda strange compared to BG2, can't put my finger on it. Using it pretty much only in combat or when exploring tighter areas.

likewise. i thought id be playing iso all the way, but ive been switching between a lot, depending on the situation. both play and look great though imo

again, this soundtrack is something else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
daemonarch said:

its a question of choice...

btw how its possible that there is no screnshot/video comparison in 360 vs ps3 version?
is there any embargo on that or wat? and wats the point in comparing condole/pc? is there anyone that thinks the console could be better than pc?

Fucking christ...

How can people be so dense. Oh well.

I guess I better off my couch and move my PC over to a desk since that is the only way to play games on it.

MrDaravon

Ponn01 said:
Wait, you didn't get the boots and memory band in your shipment? Have you emailed them yet? Now i'm worried about my copy I ordered from Amazon.

The other stuff is packaged in all copies; for any pre-order stuff that's a separate code card/thing, Amazon always emails them to you, but I have no idea what the turn around on that is. If you actually look at the description for bonus items like this, it usually says you will receive an email with the code within 10 days, but I'm not sure if it said that specifically in this case or not.

Alex

Zefah said:
Fucking christ...

I guess I better off my couch and move my PC over to a desk since that is the only way to play games on it.

Drivers, man.

Drivers.

daemonarch

Neo Member
its just silly to compare pc and console versions .

just an example,
all ps3 or 360 in their model, run equal in every part of the world.
and
everyone as its own pc with its own hardware configyration, that makes the game run different fron other ppls pc
so whow can someone compare console/pc?
if i have a very good pc i can run the game on the best resolution possible and of course i get better graphics,
but if i have a medium/low pc maybe some games look/run better on console

PS. and sory for my engrish

Effect

Alex said:
...I'm talking to the guy asking for advice on what version to buy. Calm down :lol

Cute list, anyway.

Same reasons the other person listed. I can play it on the PC if came to that in the very end if the 360 version was broken but if the issues aren't to big I'd rather have it for the 360. I'm trying to move my gaming away from the PC save for RTS games. I work with computers all day long and I rather not come home just to get on another computer and deal with the issues that might pop up there.

Zefah said:
Fucking christ...

Don't be so friggin rude.

Most people don;t want an ugly-as-sin PC hooked up next to their TV... outside of the US it's rare to have huge entertainment centre-type units with tons of storage.

Alex

daemonarch said:
its just silly to compare pc and console versions .

just an example,
all ps3 or 360 in their model, run equal in every part of the world.
and
everyone as its own pc with its own hardware configyration, that makes the game run different fron other ppls pc
so whow can someone compare console/pc?
if i have a very good pc i can run the game on the best resolution possible and of course i get better graphics,
but if i have a medium/low pc maybe some games look/run better on console

PS. and sory for my engrish

Well, when people list PC as an option, I typically assume they have something reasonably modern. My PC is getting a bit aged, wasnt exactly tippy top end when I got it, and I pull 60 FPS most of the time, at ultra high with 4X AA and 8X AF. Most PC games have kind of hung in the midrange woodwoork these past few years.

In general, the detail on PC seems to look significantly better from what I've seen. Toss in what sounds like it amounts to double-triple the framerate VS PS3, non-altered enemy waves and the isometric/tactical camera and the fact that it's essentially a classical styled CRPG, Im gonna suggest PC if you even list it as an option.

This isn't to say that I would berate you if you cant get the PC version (unless you try to whip out shit like couches or drivers), or that you shouldnt buy the console version at all, but when you ask platform advice, and you list PC, I will say PC.

markot

Banned
Hmmmmmm

so I have done all the available quests at the small town after duncan and ze king die, im trying to get that dude out of the prison... do I have to wait or am I missing something >.<? I could threaten the old chick but thats not very nice.... or do I get him later?

aryies

Neo Member
Alex said:
Well, when people list PC as an option, I typically assume they have something reasonably modern. My PC is getting a bit aged, wasnt exactly tippy top end when I got it, and I pull 60 FPS most of the time, at ultra high with 4X AA and 8X AF. Most PC games have kind of hung in the midrange woodwoork these past few years.

In general, the detail on PC seems to look significantly better from what I've seen. Toss in what sounds like it amounts to double-triple the framerate VS PS3, non-altered enemy waves and the isometric/tactical camera and the fact that it's essentially a classical styled CRPG, Im gonna suggest PC if you even list it as an option.

This isn't to say that I would berate you if you cant get the PC version (unless you try to whip out shit like couches or drivers), or that you shouldnt buy the console version at all, but when you ask platform advice, and you list PC, I will say PC.

dont bother dude, most (read most) of the "comfy couch/drivers/lolbutitshardtomovemypctomytv" crowd have never gamed on a large pc gaming setup, and have barely played games on a pc in years. i honestly cannot imagine anyone saying they TRULY PREFER playing/experiencing this kind of game on a console over a pc setup. unless you REALLY like playing with a controller (which i would have nfi why, this game is tailor made for kb bindings)

Thyrus

I have a question for the people who have a bunch of magic items from all the preorder/flashgames/whatnot. Are the items one use, as in, when i make Bob the mage and use the say the Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes is that item gone forever or will Bobby the Fighter also get a copy of the grimoire?

RPGCrazied

Mutagenic said:
PS3: Cutscenes stutter. Framerate isn't good, most notably when panning the camera around slowly. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to it or not. The textures certainly aren't great, but they get the job done. The grass sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm an elf, and everyone's hands are mutant looking. Now I wish I had a 360 version here so I can compare the two.

Im on the 360 version, and my cutscenes stutter also.. but its off an on, sometimes it can play fine for a few secs.

but gameplaywise so far its smooth

epmode

Effect said:
Same reasons the other person listed. I can play it on the PC if came to that in the very end if the 360 version was broken but if the issues aren't to big I'd rather have it for the 360. I'm trying to move my gaming away from the PC save for RTS games. I work with computers all day long and I rather not come home just to get on another computer and deal with the issues that might pop up there.
I can understand people who have a lousy computer going this route. But even if you have a midrange system, you can easily match consoles. And maybe I'm just REALLY LUCKY AND HAVE BEEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS but my games almost always Just Work. Steam handles installs with just a handful of clicks, etc. It really isn't anything like the old days.

I never get tired of this topic!

Anyway, the PC version of Dragon Age does NOT come with controller support so I guess I can understand people just wanting to couch it up with a pad.

Top Bottom