• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
markot said:
You consolians should make your own thread so we can talk about the game and not all that ship >_<

*sigh* Not even gonna bother....

Anyway! I just got another party member. I swapped my dog for her. Was that a good choice? How the hell do I change party members again? :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
NinjaFusion said:
Don't be so friggin rude.

Most people don;t want an ugly-as-sin PC hooked up next to their TV... outside of the US it's rare to have huge entertainment centre-type units with tons of storage.

I agree, I wouldn't want a PC under my living room TV, even if it looks nice. That's why I will just run a single HDMI cable through the wall to the back of the TV, and you won't be able to see the PC or hear it when playing. :D

But I'm actually quite content on my LCD monitor, so that's where most of my gaming time will be, despite having simple access to all my PC games on a 50" HDTV.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
markot said:
Hmmmmmm

so I have done all the available quests at the small town after duncan and ze king die, im trying to get that dude out of the prison... do I have to wait or am I missing something >.<? I could threaten the old chick but thats not very nice.... or do I get him later?

You can pick the lock with Leliana and set him free and then you can get him to join your party, but that will make the old lady in the Chantry hate you (assuming he is with you when you talk to her).

Shito

markot said:
You consolians should make your own thread so we can talk about the game and not all that ship >_<
Heh, and why not the other way around? ^^

Anyways: didn't follow anything about this game, but I just wanted to know if this cute and nice isometric view was available on consoles or if it was some kind of pc-exclusive-goodness?

eznark

Banned
Last time I buy a third party game from Impulse. All kinds of fucked up. The DA Updater is not working properly so I do not have any of the DLC that I should have.

Bah.

markot

Banned
Kipe said:
Question about the first boss:
Is it possible to beat the first boss without kiting?

Troll dude in the tower? I didnt do that much, just kept the mage out of range and made sure I kept the dudes up with potions and what not.... That said the mage dude and that warrior that joins ya died when I fought him, and the main characters barely survived!

fanboi

Banned
fanboi said:
So I bought it from gamersgate, downloaded it.
Now I logged in with my EA account, used the redeem codes... all I have to do is login through the game to be able to dl the DLC? (Using the same account?)

Quote for new page, anyone?

LCfiner

Shito said:
Heh, and why not the other way around? ^^

Anyways: didn't follow anything about this game, but I just wanted to know if this cute and nice isometric view was available on consoles or if it was some kind of pc-exclusive-goodness?

pc exclusive.

console is strictly over the shoulder, kotor style view.

markot

Banned
Zefah said:
You can pick the lock with Leliana and set him free and then you can get him to join your party, but that will make the old lady in the Chantry hate you (assuming he is with you when you talk to her).
Oh >.< ty!

Alex

aryies said:
dont bother dude, most (read most) of the "comfy couch/drivers/lolbutitshardtomovemypctomytv" crowd have never gamed on a large pc gaming setup, and have barely played games on a pc in years. i honestly cannot imagine anyone saying they TRULY PREFER playing/experiencing this kind of game on a console over a pc setup. unless you REALLY like playing with a controller (which i would have nfi why, this game is tailor made for kb bindings)

While I think you are being a bit cynical, you have a female Draenei Priest avatar, so know what is up!

The tactical camera is only on PC, I'm afraid. That and alterations to the flow of combat (fewer enemies, but stronger on consoles) were the only really big gameplay changes between versions I think.

Last time I buy a third party game from Impulse. All kinds of fucked up. The DA Updater is not working properly so I do not have any of the DLC that I should have.

They had a good price on the Deluxe Edition, no? I remember seeing it but I am a moron and stay within my Steam safety net for PC games :(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
fanboi said:
Quote for new page, anyone?

I logged in through the game. Then went to "Downloadable Content" there is a redeem code at bottom left. When you hit that it will auto open a browser page that you type your codes into. It took about 30 minutes and a reboot before the stone prisoner and CE dlc showed up in my download cue in game.

Hope that helps.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I downloaded the DLC on PC but it does not show up in the Installed window. NO clue how to activate it in game for my character.

Victrix

*beard*
For those with the Impulse download who can't get their DLC, try this, it finally fixed it for me. Pretty pissed at both Impulse and Bioware for this DLC fuckup.

"hen
you get your code, do NOT register the game via the EA or Bioware
social website. Simply create your accounts without adding any key
whatsoever for now, then leave it be. When you launch the game a window
will open asking you to log in into your EA account and then register
the game. You can however redeem your DLC items only via the bioware
website without any issues. This key was sent to you by e-mail, is 20
digits, and looks like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
If you register via the site first, the game will say your serial
has already been used to register the game when you try to do it via
the launcher, and so far, there are no fixes. Some of us have contacted
EA Live Support but they escalated the issues and we won't hear from EA
for at least a day.
This is known info but burried among topics...
Again:
1. Create EA Account and Bioware account
2. Download the game from Impulse
3. Let the game install
4. Meanwhile, you can redeem your DLC items via the bioware website
(but do not register the game). It will tell you the codes cannot be
redeemed and that there is an error, while also perhaps simultaneously
saying it was successful. Regardless, they'll appear in game even if it
gave you an error message.
5. When the game is installed, launch it, log into your EA account, register the game

To redeem your DLC items you need to be IN THE GAME and until
Impulse releases an installer, you must manually install an updater
service (which the Impulse install failed to do, it's bugged, and is
being worked on by Stardocks. To manually install it:
Edit: Zoomba from Stardock released an alternate fix
1. Download http://stardock.cachefly.net/zoomba/service.cmd
2. Copy to C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Dragon Age Origins\\bin_ship
3. Run service.cmd

Manual methods:
1. Find installuti.exe by searching for it on C: on your OS drive
2. Copy it to C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Dragon Age Origins\\bin_ship
3. Browse to C:\\Windows and find cmd.exe
4. Riggt-click cmd.exe and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
5. In the prompt type cd .. , c: , cd Program Files, cd Electronic
Arts, cd Dragon Age Origins, cd bin_ship (manually browse yourself to
it, to avoid mistakes). If it gives you an error that a certain
directory cannot be found, type dir to list all current directories in
the location you are currently in. 64bit OS users will need to type cd
Programs Files (x86) for example.
6. Type in installutil daupdatersvc.service.exe
7. This will install the service
8. Launch the game and download the DLC items. It might be buggy, because EA servers are currently exploding.
9. If you get an access denied error, you are either not logged in
as an admin or you did not run the command prompt as an administrator
10. Make sure the service started. Type services in the search box,
then Services (local) -> Dragon Age: Origins Updater and look under
the status column if it says started. If not right-click the service
-> properties -> then press Start, and in startup mode, choose
automatic, so that it starts after you reboot and prevent you from
manually activating it all the time."

matmanx1

First impressions after a much too short play session last night: Love, love the music. I already want to be listening to the soundtrack in the car wherever I go. Graphics are better than I was expecting but then again I have a nice PC and I can run stuff at max settings. Voice acting is good and certainly lends the proper air of gravity to the whole experience.

I like that they also carried over pretty much the same interface from Journey's as I was immediately comfortable with it here. In fact pretty much the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the blood. I really feel like the amount and persistence of the gore detracts from the more serious atmosphere they are going for. Maybe I've watched too many horror movies but I see that much gore and giant blood puddles underneath people and I just think "wow, that's campy!" even though I know they were trying to be shocking. Sorry Bioware, it isnt shocking but it is a little silly.

Other than that I really like what I am seeing and cant wait to play more.

fanboi

Banned
Victrix said:
For those with the Impulse download who can't get their DLC, try this, it finally fixed it for me. Pretty pissed at both Impulse and Bioware for this DLC fuckup.

"hen
you get your code, do NOT register the game via the EA or Bioware
social website. Simply create your accounts without adding any key
whatsoever for now, then leave it be. When you launch the game a window
will open asking you to log in into your EA account and then register
the game. You can however redeem your DLC items only via the bioware
website without any issues. This key was sent to you by e-mail, is 20
digits, and looks like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
If you register via the site first, the game will say your serial
has already been used to register the game when you try to do it via
the launcher, and so far, there are no fixes. Some of us have contacted
EA Live Support but they escalated the issues and we won't hear from EA
for at least a day.
This is known info but burried among topics...
Again:
1. Create EA Account and Bioware account
2. Download the game from Impulse
3. Let the game install
4. Meanwhile, you can redeem your DLC items via the bioware website
(but do not register the game). It will tell you the codes cannot be
redeemed and that there is an error, while also perhaps simultaneously
saying it was successful. Regardless, they'll appear in game even if it
gave you an error message.
5. When the game is installed, launch it, log into your EA account, register the game

To redeem your DLC items you need to be IN THE GAME and until
Impulse releases an installer, you must manually install an updater
service (which the Impulse install failed to do, it's bugged, and is
being worked on by Stardocks. To manually install it:
Edit: Zoomba from Stardock released an alternate fix
1. Download http://stardock.cachefly.net/zoomba/service.cmd
2. Copy to C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Dragon Age Origins\\bin_ship
3. Run service.cmd

Manual methods:
8. Launch the game and download the DLC items. It might be buggy, because EA servers are currently exploding.

I hope this doesn't concern gamersgate also...

Alex

matmanx1 said:
First impressions after a much too short play session last night: Love, love the music. I already want to be listening to the soundtrack in the car wherever I go. Graphics are better than I was expecting but then again I have a nice PC and I can run stuff at max settings. Voice acting is good and certainly lends the proper air of gravity to the whole experience.

I like that they also carried over pretty much the same interface from Journey's as I was immediately comfortable with it here. In fact pretty much the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the blood. I really feel like the amount and persistence of the gore detracts from the more serious atmosphere they are going for. Maybe I've watched too many horror movies but I see that much gore and giant blood puddles underneath people and I just think "wow, that's campy!" even though I know they were trying to be shocking. Sorry Bioware, it isnt shocking but it is a little silly.

Other than that I really like what I am seeing and cant wait to play more.

You can toggle off the persistent blood.

Shito

LCfiner said:
pc exclusive.

console is strictly over the shoulder, kotor style view.
Alex said:
The tactical camera is only on PC, I'm afraid. That and alterations to the flow of combat (fewer enemies, but stronger on consoles) were the only really big gameplay changes between versions I think.
Oh, thanks.
Now, there's a much better reason to choose between the PC version and the console version, in my opinion. ^^

hyduK

Banned
screenshot2009110323214.jpg

My Human Warrior :D

Just became a
Grey Warden
. Difficulty wise the games pretty solid right now, though I'm hoping my next party has
a magic user...so I don't have to chug pots all day

Managed to get the game to run pretty well on high settings with no AA (E5200, 2GB, 9800GT, W7).

LCfiner

Alex said:
You can toggle off the persistent blood.

I think I'm doing this, actually. it's distracting once I start talking to people.

also,

Manual methods:

shhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Ploid 3.0

markot said:

I was just about to suggest this. I'd like to be in a console only thread, not liking this pc gamers environment, and the conflict that comes with it from some of the console people. Most of the PC people aren't all that defensive but the two environments just don't mix well.

In the PC thread people can talk about their mods and settings, while the console people can talk about their simple issues and UI/controller stuff.

LCfiner

Ploid 3.0 said:
I was just about to suggest this. I'd like to be in a console only thread, not liking this pc gamers environment, and the conflict that comes with it from some of the console people. Most of the PC people aren't all that defensive but the two environments just don't mix well.

In the PC thread people can talk about their mods and settings, while the console people can talk about their simple issues and UI/controller stuff.

Man, I dunno... I think it's way too early to split up the thread. We should be able to talk about the actual GAME experiences regardless of the platform. Some people are either too defensive or too prickly about platform choice but things were going very well before the game came out. I don't see why we have to mess things up now.

I feel like it'd be as crazy as having separate threads for a game based on what difficulty you're using.

How about when mods actually start coming out, then there's a PC-only thread? (I still don't think it'll be necessary, but whatever)

MrWisker

Love this game. I was a bit worried about graphics, framerate issues with the PS3 but after 4 hours session last night this game fucking rocks. Hard to believe that a game has managed to pull me from Demons Souls but Dragon Age seems to have done the impossible.

So far I have no real complaints at all. The story is sucking me in, the fighting is fun (playing warrior) and I love exploring the land (where I am able to atm).

Awesome BioWare :)

Victrix

*beard*
eznark said:
Woah, it is really odd having a mute character after playing Mass Effect yesterday.

Yeah this jarred me a little. I'm ok with it though, tons of NPCs to talk to, and a lot of dialogue options. It would have taken them a hojillion years to voice all the PC options.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
So, even though I downloaded the game from Steam, logged into my Bioware account, redeemed my codes, and downloaded my DLC, in order for me to install the DLC, I have to download an Installer? WTF, if true.

epmode

DenogginizerOS said:
So, even though I downloaded the game from Steam, I logged into my Bioware account, redeemed my codes, and downloaded my DLC, in order for me to install the DLC, I have to download an Installer? WTF, if true.
I didn't... The Steam one automatically downloaded and installed the DLC after registering the codes and restarting the game.

Sceren

Neo Member
Well I just wanted to throw this out there...

The console versions suck - if you have the PC to run this game buy it on the PC. I just got done trying the PS3 version and the audio sounds horrible (Like PS2 Sands of Time compressed audio horrible.), the graphics are muddy and look like you're playing with drunk goggles on and if the reviews are to be believed the 360 isn't going to look much better and according to my friend it doesn't (although I haven't seen the 360 version running in person). The intro movies even looked low res and highly compressed, the BioWare logo in red was blurry... really? It looked worse than an up-scaled DVD and really bothered my eyes.. (Blurry text really hurts my head).

I don't know maybe I'm overreacting but I purchased the game on Steam and the game actually looks, runs, and sounds fantastic on the PC.

This isn't a console vs pc because I actually own a PS3/360 and a high end PC... but the Console version of this game is just >bad<.

Running PS3 on HDMI and Optical for audio... I didn't try the audio through HDMI to see if it made a difference.. who knows if the skipping/popping/compressed sound was because I had it on optical (I've heard that be the case for some games in the past).

/endrant

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Has anyone been able to register their game on the social site?

I've tried inputting the UPC on the 360 CE version, 014633168839, but the site refuses to recognize it. Is there another number I should be using?

Other than that glitch, I've been impressed by how seamlessly the dlc I won for playing Dragon Age Journeys and for uploading a character transferred to my 360.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Played some more of the 360 version. Not getting gamespot's hate, the visuals look pretty nice, in line with some of the PC screens that are being posted in this topic, and even more impressively the game is PLAYING greatly. No slowdowns, hitches, glitches, tearing or anything. It seems to be locked at 30 FPS and it's doing it's job pretty well. Load times are only 3~5 seconds after the NXE install too.

Story wise just finished the
first big mission after becoming a grey warden, good thing i fed the prisoner before hand lol, i don't think i'll be going back there. Also, why does my gal always wake up in her under wear lol.

markot

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
So, even though I downloaded the game from Steam, logged into my Bioware account, redeemed my codes, and downloaded my DLC, in order for me to install the DLC, I have to download an Installer? WTF, if true.
dont think so...

LCfiner

eznark said:
Woah, it is really odd having a mute character after playing Mass Effect yesterday.

I was thinking the exact same thing! I understand why they didn't do it for DA since there's so many origin stories but it takes me out of the game a bit to see my mute, purse-lipped character "interact" with other people but never say anything. Especially since the Mass Effect responses added so much character to Shepard.

I think Mass Effect created a new standard for player character voice acting and the sequel for Dragon Age needs to add it in. yeah, it'll be a bitch but I think it'll be worth it to have, say 4 or 5 voice actors come in and do it.

luxarific said:
Has anyone been able to register their game on the social site?

I've tried inputting the UPC on the 360 CE version, 014633168839, but the site refuses to recognize it. Is there another number I should be using?

Other than that glitch, I've been impressed by how seamlessly the dlc I won for playing Dragon Age Journeys and for uploading a character transferred to my 360.

Someone please answer this having the same problem with 360 CE. Tried adding and removing dashes and spaces to no avail.

Fortunately I Have an EA account tied to my gamertag thanks to Battlefield 1943 and I just Used my codes through the in game menu.

But stil it's annoying not being able to register the game, I feel like I'm missing something important. I really want to make sure my Gamertag, Ea profile and Bioware profile are all synched up so I won't have any problems down the road.

All these codes and registering are giving me a headache.

But this game is absolutely amazing. It's been along time since I played a real RPG and it feels like BG on roids with KOTOR combat.

Some textures and faces could look better but I knew going in it wouldn't blow me away graphically. It looks good enough on 1080P, and sometimes it even looks great.

The music is top notch to be sure.

Gravijah

Sceren said:

The console versions suck - if you have the PC to run this game buy it on the PC. I just got done trying the PS3 version and the audio sounds horrible (Like PS2 Sands of Time compressed audio horrible.), the graphics are muddy and look like you're playing with drunk goggles on and if the reviews are to be believed the 360 isn't going to look much better and according to my friend it doesn't (although I haven't seen the 360 version running in person). The intro movies even looked low res and highly compressed, the BioWare logo in red was blurry... really? It looked worse than an up-scaled DVD and really bothered my eyes.. (Blurry text really hurts my head).

I don't know maybe I'm overreacting but I purchased the game on Steam and the game actually looks, runs, and sounds fantastic on the PC.

This isn't a console vs pc because I actually own a PS3/360 and a high end PC... but the Console version of this game is just >bad<.

Running PS3 on HDMI and Optical for audio... I didn't try the audio through HDMI to see if it made a difference.. who knows if the skipping/popping/compressed sound was because I had it on optical (I've heard that be the case for some games in the past).

/endrant

I still play on an SDTV and my PC has an integrated graphics card. Console version it is!

Truant

LCfiner said:
I was thinking the exact same thing! I understand why they didn't do it for DA since there's so many origin stories but it takes me out of the game a bit to see my mute, purse-lipped character "interact" with other people but never say anything. Especially since the Mass Effect responses added so much character to Shepard.

I think Mass Effect created a new standard for player character voice acting and the sequel for Dragon Age needs to add it in. yeah, it'll be a bitch but I think it'll be worth it to have, say 4 or 5 voice actors come in and do it.

Pretty much a content/space related issue. Are you aware of how much work that would produce? Every conversation has roughly five parts. Each part has roughly five choices. There are six, I think, different voices for the PC, times two since you can play as both male and female. That's a ridiculous amout of voice acting.

Remember that all dialogue options in DA:O produce unique replies, unlike Mass Effect where most conversations would go the same way as long as you had a good or bad reply.

Picked it up on PS3 since that is only one they had in stock at best buy late last night. I wanted to hold out for the PC version but currently stuck staying with a friend as we sold our house and it will be 2-3 weeks before we can move into our new house, so my PC is packed away :(

Anyways even though I feared playing on a console, it's not been all that bad. PS3 version also looks pretty good and the framerate is not bad at all either unless things get really crazy on the screen. I'm sure it would have been awesome on the PC visually but I couldn't wait for this game. Might double dip on this one.

For the console versions is there no quick pause feature like in KOTOR or BG games where you can survey the battle and give out commands? Always like the one button pause to plan out your moves in the old games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

/endrant

That's just bizarre man, i'm playing the 360 version and honest to god it's looking/playing just fine. Of course I don't have a beefy PC to compare, but the kind of things you're mentioning should have been noticeable regardless.

Sceren

Neo Member
chandoog said:
That's just bizarre man, i'm playing the 360 version and honest to god it's looking/playing just fine. Of course I don't have a beefy PC to compare, but the kind of things you're mentioning should have been noticeable regardless.

I think my biggest problem is the horrible audio and the super compressed video. What size TV are you playing on?

Acidote

Is there a way to make the captioning bigger in the PC version? I'm finding it too small even when I'm playing on a HDTV.

Truant

chandoog said:

It looks and runs decent enough. Not nearly as good as my PC version, but still good enough to provide a worthy experience. My girlfriend is playing the PC version right next to me, so I'm constantly looking at her screen to compare.

LCfiner

Truant said:
Pretty much a content/space related issue. Are you aware of how much work that would produce? Every conversation has roughly five parts. Each part has roughly five choices. There are six, I think, different voices for the PC, times two since you can play as both male and female. That's a ridiculous amout of voice acting.

Remember that all dialogue options in DA:O produce unique replies, unlike Mass Effect where most conversations would go the same way as long as you had a good or bad reply.

Oh, I know it's a shitton of work. Which is why they need to get Jennifer Hale in the studio IMMEDIATELY!

Now, here is where I might piss people off but I would totally accept, say, 3 dialog options instead of 6 for a lot of interactions. most of those 6 options produce very similar responses anyway.

And I might piss people off even more by suggesting they skip the 6 voice options per character and stick to one (or two). it's not like I can tell much of a difference between cocky and mystical voices when I only hear them being yelled out in battle.

epmode

DenogginizerOS said:
http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=702449&forum=146&sp=0

Evidently, some are having issues like me and found a workaround. Are you sure your DLC downloaded AND installed? Does it show up in your "Installed" tab?
Yes. I have one of the rings equipped and I've already used the skill tomes.

Which reminds me. I like how you can choose to increase your skills, talents and stat points at any time, and completely independently of each other.

Sceren

Neo Member
Truant said:
It looks and runs decent enough. Not nearly as good as my PC version, but still good enough to provide a worthy experience. My girlfriend is playing the PC version right next to me, so I'm constantly looking at her screen to compare.

Traunt, is she playing the 360 version? I think the PS3 version is really getting hit hard by the "fuzzyness" you see on some port jobs (It has something to do with the differences in AA the 360 and PS3 uses right?). It just really bothered my eyes..

Top Bottom