• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age, then and now.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
A superficial comparison, not to complain or even poke fun, just bittered that I'm not the targeted audience anymore. I loved the series.

Cover art:

120090725161933.jpg
367.jpg

Character design:

34217602581_261ca5f66e_o.png
taash-icon-dragon-age-the-veilguard.jpg

Sera_Image.jpg
uVS5ySVq2TAJfxGPWVYZMS.png

Companion assembly:

t3vmM79.jpeg
dragon-age-the-veilguard-screenshot-03-groupb-3840x2160.png

Darkspawns:

darkspawn-style-in-all-dragon-age-series-games-v0-oplq39r6366d1.png

Skill action bars: available number of skills

dragon_age_origins_awakening__011_.jpg
Will-Dragon-Age-The-Veilguard-be-open-world-like-Inquisition.jpg

Combat tactic: You can't control companions anymore in DA the Veilguard.

7QHN2hR.jpeg
DA_EA_AbilityWheel2_08b_5760x3244_RGB_WM.png

Reveal trailer:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The art direction has gradually gotten worse over time (not that I ever loved it in Origins, but it was fine)... but yeah, it went off a cliff with Veilguard.

Which is fine. They don't want me as a customer at this point, clearly, so I hope their new approach works out great for them and doesn't end with Bioware finally getting shuttered.

StereoVsn

The art direction has gradually gotten worse over time (not that I ever loved it in Origins, but it was fine)... but yeah, it went off a cliff with Veilguard.

Which is fine. They don't want me as a customer at this point, clearly, so I hope their new approach works out great for them and doesn't end with Bioware finally getting shuttered.
Yep, basically the same. The only game I really liked was DA:O. DA2 was a rush job due to EA's greediness. DA:I was super average. The only reason it performed well in sales was that it released to fairly bare market that year.

And of course DAV is just crap.

SJRB

Gold Member

There's just something about this design that fucks me up, fam. I don't even know if I'm looking at a man or a woman. I hate this with every fibre of my being.

This is the kind of shit you see when you're sick and you have a fever dream about bizarro circus acts chasing you through a supermarket or something. It's grotesque.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I played the first Dragon Age and loved it. Been out of the loop since then.

Can someone fill me in? Is Veilguard a spinof or mobile game? I'm guessing the Fortnite soft design means it's for all devices, including low powered cell phones?

Braag

I never imagined that I would have 0 hype for an upcoming Dragon Age game, but here we are.
Now I'm worried for the next ME game, if Bioware survives long enough to release it even.

Isa

Gold Member

There's just something about this design that fucks me up, fam. I don't even know if I'm looking at a man or a woman. I hate this with every fibre of my being.

This is the kind of shit you see when you're sick and you have a fever dream about bizarro circus acts chasing you through a supermarket or something. It's grotesque.
She looks like concept art for Episode 3 of the new Star Wars show, force witch lesbians folk rappin' some new immaculate blood up in dis here galaxy.

jm89

I played the first Dragon Age and loved it. Been out of the loop since then.

Can someone fill me in? Is Veilguard a spinof or mobile game? I'm guessing the Fortnite soft design means it's for all devices, including low powered cell phones?
It's sequel to inquisition. Afaik only on current gen consoles and pc.

Fornite design is baffling. Maybe trying to reach a younger audience who imo wouldn't appreciate these types of games anyway.

Last edited:
Meh…Dragon Age has never really been great either way. Inquisition was fun to play for like 5 hours. Origins was Garbo to me. The series ranked in my top 3 overhyped rpg series’ of all time. I’ll never fully get the hype, but hey, at least with the new one, the majority of truthers will be with me on this one lol.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Dragon Age Inquisition was already colourful and "DEI".
At least for me, what's obnoxious isn't diversity itself in a game, but rather how it was horribly shoehorned into the game to push idealogy/agenda.

But inquisition was not the case. It does have quite a few queerness presence, but imo the writings for them are spot on. I'd say I even found Dorian rather charming. More importantly, in inquisition those characters the act like NORMAL, not some psycho perverts that nowadays the queer community on social media tend to be.

If diversity needs to be implemented in the game, I'd rather have it this way.

SirTerry-T

It just all looks so fucking insipid. Hot pinks, neon blues..."straights and curves" animation style character designs. Every other game is guilty of it, not just Dragon Age.

It's the video game version of the "Cal Arts" meme for animated tv shows but via the Fortnite School of Art.

If I had my way I would ban art directors from all watching the same films, block Art Station from their browsers and force feed them Industrial strength LSD three times a day. At least then there maybe a modicum of a chance some of them may come up with something that looks new and fresh.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Yep, basically the same. The only game I really liked was DA:O. DA2 was a rush job due to EA's greediness. DA:I was super average. The only reason it performed well in sales was that it released to fairly bare market that year.

And of course DAV is just crap.

I don’t get it. There’s only been 1 good DA game and that was the first one. It still stands up today. Everything after that 1st game has been lame as fuck. The 2nd one was bullshit. The 3rd one was bullshit. The new one looks like bullshit too. So what’s changed?

I think this whole Dragon Age debacle has made me realize that it was ever only one good game, and then """Bioware""" coasting off of that one game and continuing to fuck it up even worse every subsequent entry.

This was never a great franchise, it was a single great game.

I get the lukewarm reception of inquisition in 2014, but retrospectively examined, I enjoyed the game quite a lot as I recently finished with around 130+ hours. The parts I really enjoyed about the game include great character writings and arcs, diverse companion personalities and reactions, well-written dialogues, ample branching and consequences, and most importantly the charming banters. You simply don't get these types of stuff in modern RPG very often nowadays.

The low quality repetitive side quests are still present but I found them much more tolerable this time - because since 2014 we've got too much braindead fillers in open world games I actually found some of inquisition's side contents refreshing. Roaming on some maps felt pretty good, particularly in hissing waste.

DA:I doesn't really improve over the years but I think it's aging better because how stagnant the whole AAA game industries are these days.

Top Bottom