• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Fusions |OT| HA!!

NeonZ

Just got Uub to level 45. His moveset in this game is so weird. The only beam attack he has so far is Spirit Eyes/Super Spirit Eyes, no Kamehameha at all. I expected a Goku based moveset, but he's completely different. I haven't gotten his fused form yet, but I guess they first made that one and then removed some of the Buu specific stuff for his base form, so he ended up with this odd skill pool.

DragonballFusions_Screenshots_02_zpsbmgjwkio.jpg

Although this moveset would make sense for Z Uub - Mystic Eyes is similar to that power up that pushes back Goku, then he also has two different power ups (increase strength, recover ki) and basic Quick Rush- combo-type attack. His description also only mentions his Z appearance. It's clearly supposed to be the GT version though, both in design and his sidequest appearances.

NeonZ

Edit: I finally got the Neo Kikoho. It's good to see Tenshinhan packing a punch again.

Are the Super characters included or will that be DLC?

The base game covers up to the Universe 6 arc, so no new Future Trunks and Goku Black for now, but you get Hit, Frost (Final form only), Cabba, Mageta, Botamo, Champa and Vados.

NeonZ

Is it worth it to start messing with the fusions now? Or canit wait till post game?

You can continue without fusions and then go back and use them if you get stuck somewhere. Overall, any fusions that raise rankings will give big stat boosts. Even the ones that don't raise ranking though generally give special abilities of some kind (check the passive abilities), like increased speed.

NeonZ

What was the gag move? I can't find a character that has one

I used "You can't tuna fish!". Yamcha can learn it, although the hard part is making it drop somewhere. I guess you can make Yamcha himself drop it by going through those 100 battles in the tournament until getting to the one where Yamcha is an opponent.

Alternatively, get "Garatz" (character 172). It's a Saiyan with a beard, mohawk and white armor. I think he pops up in a red signal for battles in the one of the lower sections (bellow the main ground) of the world tournament area (area 5). He joins with "Monkey Business" which also counts as a gag move. They're all attacks where the character thinks for a bit and then shouts something. He also can drop "You can't tuna fish!" and can learn it at higher levels.

dragn

first god rank i got was blue vegeta and the damn scout isnt successful, hope someone creates a cheat for this shit

keakster

I used "You can't tuna fish!". Yamcha can learn it, although the hard part is making it drop somewhere. I guess you can make Yamcha himself drop it by going through those 100 battles in the tournament until getting to the one where Yamcha is an opponent.

Alternatively, get "Garatz" (character 172). It's a Saiyan with a beard, mohawk and white armor. I think he pops up in a red signal for battles in the one of the lower sections (bellow the main ground) of the world tournament area (area 5). He joins with "Monkey Business" which also counts as a gag move. They're all attacks where the character thinks for a bit and then shouts something. He also can drop "You can't tuna fish!" and can learn it at higher levels.

Nice, thanks

This is a fun little game that just completely falls apart for me in the post game. The mechanic for recruiting new characters is so time consuming and RNG dependent it feels like a punishment. Fighting random battles, to be able to open rifts to fight more random battles, just to have a chance at running into a character you want and hoping that are even recruitable when you do is really stupid. (Not to mention you have to fuse those rifts to get most of the characters you'd want, doubling or tripling the time it takes).

Switching between this and Pokemon Moon is kind of jarring, seeing how one makes such a similar concept work so effortlessly.

NeonZ

Each rift battle only consumes one rift, so you actually only need one extra battle to open an S or G ranking rift again, rather than 2 or 3 like in the first time you're doing it.

But, even so, due to the randomness of the encounters (and the RNG based chance of recruiting), it's clear they wanted to make the player take time to get each unique rift character, rather than something quick.

Edit: Actually, I've been recruiting the Ginyu force, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the game doesn't force repeated matches here.

keakster

Do the EX fusions of characters atomically show up in the character list once you have both base characters? Or do you have to go through and try all fusion possibilities to unlock the full roster?

Do the EX fusions of characters atomically show up in the character list once you have both base characters? Or do you have to go through and try all fusion possibilities to unlock the full roster?

Nah, you've gotten go through the whole song and dance with each fusion you want. Also know that having the fusion means you can't use the individual characters. And a character can only be in one fusion at a time.

This game could very easily be a lot more fun and user friendly.

keakster

Nah, you've gotten go through the whole song and dance with each fusion you want. Also know that having the fusion means you can't use the individual characters. And a character can only be in one fusion at a time.

This game could very easily be a lot more fun and user friendly.

On top of that the EX Fusion menu system is clunky as hell. It is going to take a long time to unlock all characters ...

jnWake

I downloaded this yesterday and I'm loving it so far. The mix of RPG systems, position based combat, timeline system for turns and action is great.

Main downside so far is the annoying glitch or whatever that makes text not appear.

NeonZ

Hm... unlike what the online guides say, you can also get Nappa and Raditz from S ranking rifts in Area 6 and this one works even before end game.

NeonZ

WHAT THE HELL ARE GAG MOVES? HOW IS A PRESENT BOMB NOT A GAG?!

Like mentioned above, it's specifically moves like "You Can't Tuna Fish" or "Monkey Business". They all have the same animation - the character thinks for a bit and then shouts the attack's name.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gcxak0EsMc

So uh...this is interesting. Bandai Namco removed swords from the English version for no apparent reason.

Might have something to do with the age rating system. Granted the game does not have any blood or whatnots, this bit taken from the ESRB "Allusions or depictions of acts of verbal or physical abuse toward children" could have been put into play due to some of the characters being kids and teen / adult characters attacking them with swords regardless of blood being shown or not could have bumped it up higher which they wanted to prevent. Hence the stick... As stupid as that may be.

Taborcarn

Like mentioned above, it's specifically moves like "You Can't Tuna Fish" or "Monkey Business". They all have the same animation - the character thinks for a bit and then shouts the attack's name.

Ugh I wasted a lot of time on that already and I still don't have any of those moves. Tried Rock Paper Scissors, Present Bomb, Hey Look it's Frieza.

Then I started worry because it said "land" three attacks if it didn't count if the attack was blocked so I started over. And had to not worry about killing him too soon from support attacks too.

NeonZ

Ugh I wasted a lot of time on that already and I still don't have any of those moves. Tried Rock Paper Scissors, Present Bomb, Hey Look it's Frieza.

Then I started worry because it said "land" three attacks if it didn't count if the attack was blocked so I started over. And had to not worry about killing him too soon from support attacks too.

Yamcha learns "I can't tuna fish" and a Saiyan called Garatz starts with monkey business, so you can just recruit him (you can find him in a red encounter in the lower parts of area 5), without needing to worry about going after the skill.

Garatz_01_zpswwfzaojo.jpg

In order to get "I can't tuna fish" for Yamcha, you could also just advance in the 100 battles until you get to Yamcha's and then keep throwing him out until he drops it.

Taborcarn

Ah I see, I haven't gotten to the 100 battles or level 5 yet. I started trying stuff since it was only my original team of 5. I do have an old man named Kalpochof and it says in his description he can paralyze his opponents with bad jokes. Hopefully he might learn one eventually, but not yet.

NeonZ

Huh, neat. (Post game spoilers)
The Cell that your party meets in the post-game comes from some alternate timeline, and the main difference from the actual one is that after he's defeated, he's actually excited by so many strong people and how it's a chance for him to become even stronger, rather than not accepting his loss and throwing a tantrum.

Taborcarn

I recruited Garatz on level 5, and that same battle I learned "Tuna fish". Which I promptly taught to EX Yamhan. At least the Uub fight went quicker with 2 people with gag moves. Some of these conditional fights (like defeating 5 opponents all at the same time) can take forever.

Enilced2

What the heck qualifies as quick rush type moves to do a Villians Pride sub event? Game doesn't seem to open clarify what counts as what kind of move anywhere

NeonZ

What the heck qualifies as quick rush type moves to do a Villians Pride sub event? Game doesn't seem to open clarify what counts as what kind of move anywhere

It's referencing an actual attack called "Quick Rush" and its powered up versions, which just add something like "Hyper" (Hyper Quick Rush) to the beginning of the name. It's the a basic low cost combo attack type used by the default human protagonist, Bardock (base), Uub (base) and a few other characters.

L_Invin

The move needed is actually called quick rush. It's misleading the way they wrote it as if it's a type of move instead of saying the move name.

NeonZ

I've started getting the universe 6 crew. It's kind of odd how
small their skill list is. Aren't these skills basically universal, considering how the fusions can use various mixes? I don't get why they didn't throw some filler ones in there just to give them greater options. Frost has speed up, but doesn't even get Mach Move, which is the improved version.

Opa-Pa

Can Yamsha learn "monkey business" too? I saved that one way back but none of my generics can learn it and I'd rather just aim go recruit Yamsha via story (?) instead of hunting more characters.

Lovely game, by the way. I was impressed with the reveal trailer but turns out it's pretty damn inventive and fun too.

Each rift battle only consumes one rift, so you actually only need one extra battle to open an S or G ranking rift again, rather than 2 or 3 like in the first time you're doing it.

But, even so, due to the randomness of the encounters (and the RNG based chance of recruiting), it's clear they wanted to make the player take time to get each unique rift character, rather than something quick.

Edit: Actually, I've been recruiting the Ginyu force, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the game doesn't force repeated matches here.

Came back to the game the other day and found this out for myself haha. That does alleviate it a bit, but the RNG is definitely still a time waster. I wish it gave just a little more info, like if characters appear more often at higher world levels, or if some are specific to certain areas. I've been getting conflicting info online.

Opa-Pa

Finally got Uub, but... He's my only character that doesn't show up in the EX Fusion menu for some reason? Are there non fuseable characters or is this some glitch?

NeonZ

Finally got Uub, but... He's my only character that doesn't show up in the EX Fusion menu for some reason? Are there non fuseable characters or is this some glitch?

I don't think Uub has any Ex-Fusions aside from the avatar or the Streetpass mechanic. Characters like that won't show up in the Ex-Fusion menu.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Beat the game. I know there's a ton of post game content, but I'm burned out.

They probably should have had a greater focus on including lots of minor manga and anime-only characters rather than hundreds of generics.

The whole race mechanic with aliens, nameks, humans, saiyans, and majins really didn't amount to much, so the need to have a bunch of generics in place to balance the pools out wouldn't have made a difference, but there were still tons of omissions they made.
For instance - Bardock's entire crew, Paragus, Tarble as saiyans. Nameks could have added Slug, Dende, Cargo, Moori, Kami, and Tsuno, and the mutant nameks. They had a dozen kais they could have included, as well as characters from the otherworld tournament arc, many movie characters (primary and secondary antagonists), baba's fighters, roshi, ox king, chi chi, bulma, the tenkiaichi budokai participants, members of the red ribbon army, shadow dragons and other GT characters, babidi and most of his henchmen, super buu, many of frieza's henchmen ...

AND WHERE WAS JACKIE CHUN?!?!!

NeonZ

Beat the game. I know there's a ton of post game content, but I'm burned out.

They probably should have had a greater focus on including lots of minor manga and anime-only characters rather than hundreds of generics.

The originals are mostly made from parts of existing characters, so they aren't really comparable with actual characters who'd need models and sometimes attacks of their own.

That said, there are a few oddities - like how they included Kid Chichi's outfit for the avatar and two originals using pallet swaps of her face and helmet - complete with her blade throwing attack as one of the skills of those characters... but didn't include Kid Chichi herself.

Roshi is also kind of odd. His model isn't used by generics or a costume for the custom character, unlike Chichi's, but the Mafuba and the secret technique that paralyzed Goku in the 21st Budokai are in the game, alongside more generic ones like After Images and the Kamehameha - So, it's odd that Roshi himself isn't a fighter here, when his entire moveset is already in.

Anyway, the generics are also there as a way to allow the player to go for specific movesets or combos of movesets and looks. If you're playing with a human and want the Kikoho Kamehameha without becoming bald by fusing with Tenshinhan, there are several different originals that also can use the Kikoho and give access to the Kikoho Kamehameha if you fuse with them. Same goes for many other attacks that otherwise would be character specific, like the Genki Dama.

Shikoba

Whaaaaaattt? I had no idea this game existed, but I'm totally interested.
Does my main man Master Roshi make an appearance?
tumblr_mnacm1zOBD1srpefdo1_500.gif

NeonZ

Anyone have a list of what the JPN patches have added?

1st update

"Space Time Radar" - new area that detects wireless waves around the 3ds and makes rare characters you haven't recruited yet appear there to be faced and obtained.

2nd update

Goku Black
Goku Black SSJ Rose
Trunks (Super)
Trunks EX (fusions of Trunks (Super) and Kid Trunks)
Karoly Black (fusion of Goku Black and Broly)

All automatically unlocked with the update

3rd update

3 new online missions added through December, the first one involving Goku Black.
WVW69j3V9J4RcCp8hr

Trunks (Super) SSJ
Zamasu
Merged Zamasu
Zamasu/Kid Goku EX Fusion

The characters above are tied to the online missions this time though, rather than automatically joining. So far, only Trunks SSJ has been released, so there might be more new Ex Fusions too. People only learned about Zamasu due to Kid Goku's EX Fusion's menu having a new empty slot which lists him.

EX Fusion exclusive outfits can be unlocked to be used by the custom character through QR Codes.

Whaaaaaattt? I had no idea this game existed, but I'm totally interested.
Does my main man Master Roshi make an appearance?
tumblr_mnacm1zOBD1srpefdo1_500.gif

He's an NPC who you meet in the main story and teaches how to recruit characters. For some reason he isn't playable even though they bothered implementing his unique techniques, like the Mafuba and the Shock Surprise...

keakster

1st update

"Space Time Radar" - new area that detects wireless waves around the 3ds and makes rare characters you haven't recruited yet appear there to be faced and obtained.

Beauty, this is a nice QoL update that will hopefully take away some of the grind.

Thanks for all the answers Neon!

Top Bottom