• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Anth0ny

I tend to like the humor in the filler, although when I'm watching for the action, I don't like the specific moments that keep zoning in at Hercule/etc's reaction to each thing.

Although filler in DBZ isn't bad to me. There are other anime that have actual bad filler.

Who?

:p

I'm okay with the filler arcs/episodes in the anime. I just wish the pacing of the episodes was a little better. Kai was supposed to fix that, unfortunately they dropped the ball.

I'm okay with the filler arcs/episodes in the anime. I just wish the pacing of the episodes was a little better. Kai was supposed to fix that, unfortunately they dropped the ball.

Aside from the fight with Freeza still dragging on too long, I think Kai's pacing was great.

jaxword

So like Kai's Ocean dub is going to be a Vancouver - Calgary production. Seems they're still making headway on it, which is cool. Maybe the show will actually air in Canada once this dub is done?

How'd you hear about the dub location?

Davey Cakes

I was just watching some YouTube clips of select moments from the Cell Saga.

As much as like the Frieza saga, everything involving Cell up to the end of the Cell Games is just really badass. He's a cool villain. And the whole thing with Gohan punching him so hard that he coughs up 18, and Goku's eventual sacrifice...man, that's some top tier DBZ material.

In general, I've always enjoyed the whole "Imperfect Cell" thing as well, and how the time travel storyline unfolds. When they find the time machine, and it's all covered in moss, there's a creepiness about it that's really unique to the series. And the ability to absorb things (or in the case of the androids, basically swallow them whole) is awesomely sinister.

As much as like the Frieza saga, everything involving Cell up to the end of the Cell Games is just really badass. He's a cool villain. And the whole thing with Gohan punching him so hard that he coughs up 18, and Goku's eventual sacrifice...man, that's some top tier DBZ material.

Gohan really should of just killed Cell when he had the chance insted of toying with him.

Hell I was even thinking that Vegeta or Trunks or Goku should of just stepped in and finsihed him off since he was back in his weaker second form.

Kokonoe

Banned

In general, I've always enjoyed the whole "Imperfect Cell" thing as well, and how the time travel storyline unfolds. When they find the time machine, and it's all covered in moss, there's a creepiness about it that's really unique to the series. And the ability to absorb things (or in the case of the androids, basically swallow them whole) is awesomely sinister.
Pretty much the same. I usually don't like alternate timeline/alternate dimension stories, but that one was done very well.

I also like the fight with Piccolo VS Imperfect cell. Especially this short part.
Gohan really should of just killed Cell when he had the chance insted of toying with him.

Hell I was even thinking that Vegeta or Trunks or Goku should of just stepped in and finsihed him off since he was back in his weaker second form.

That's the theme of the series. Not finishing off when they should have. I mean, Goku and the Z Fighters could have destroyed Dr. Gero and the Androids ahead of time, but chose not too.

Coal

If this was any other show would you consider a dub that made dub-only plot holes, made characters go out of character, rewrote several scenes, and had questionable casting delivering questionable performances "good"?

Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah

Holy crap this is bad, what was he supposed to be saying?

I recently re-watched the whole series (started with Kai though, since I've seen the original dub before) in japanese and I gotta say, it's fucking awesome. Son Goku's voice being high-pitched was a little jarring at first, but now I'm finishing the series up (Buu saga) and it just seems natural at this point. I also have to wonder if I went from the original Dragon Ball series, would the voice be as strange-sounding as it is at first...

And fuck I forgot how shitty dub Vegeta sounds. Japanese Vegeta is way, way better. We're talking worlds, people. And christ, the scripts. Try watching a clip of DBZ in japanese with subs, and then watch that same clip in english. It's like the english scripts were written by ten year olds or some shit. Really terrible stuff in comparison to the original material.

And I'm aware that the subs aren't 100% correct 100% of the time, but even so they're just much more depth to the writing that the dubbed version just fucking LOSES. And don't get me started on the censorship, it's fucking awesome seeing Majin Buu flip his shit and start flipping the bird to Vegito after eating him.

I recently re-watched the whole series (started with Kai though, since I've seen the original dub before) in japanese and I gotta say, it's fucking awesome. Son Goku's voice being high-pitched was a little jarring at first, but now I'm finishing the series up (Buu saga) and it just seems natural at this point. I also have to wonder if I went from the original Dragon Ball series, would the voice be as strange-sounding as it is at first...

I can agree with this. English Goku usually sounds OK when he's just talking normally, but once a battle starts all the shouting and grunting can sound out of place. In the Japanese version, once you're used to the high-pitched voice it sounds natural the whole way through. At least it worked that way for me.

Coal

I can agree with this. English Goku usually sounds OK when he's just talking normally, but once a battle starts all the shouting and grunting can sound out of place. In the Japanese version, once you're used to the high-pitched voice it sounds natural the whole way through. At least it worked that way for me.

It helped me get used to the voice after reading that Toriyama basically hand picked Goku's voice actress and has said that her voice for Goku is how he's always pictured Goku sounding. I mean people can not like it and everything but how can you argue with what the creator wanted? That's like saying you don't watch it because Piccolo was green or some shit, that's what dude wanted.

Holy crap this is bad, what was he supposed to be saying?

And fuck I forgot how shitty dub Vegeta sounds. Japanese Vegeta is way, way better. We're talking worlds, people. And christ, the scripts. Try watching a clip of DBZ in japanese with subs, and then watch that same clip in english. It's like the english scripts were written by ten year olds or some shit. Really terrible stuff in comparison to the original material.

And I'm aware that the subs aren't 100% correct 100% of the time, but even so they're just much more depth to the writing that the dubbed version just fucking LOSES. And don't get me started on the censorship, it's fucking awesome seeing Majin Buu flip his shit and start flipping the bird to Vegito after eating him.

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

I still say, DBZ Abridged is a far better realization of how the English voices should sound, IMO.

Coal

wrong thread

on topic, buu is a dumb character

I'll tell you what I like about Majin Buu. He brought the lightheartedness that was in Dragon Ball back to Dragon Ball Z, when it was basically pretty fucking serious shit around/after the Cell Games. If you watch the japanese version at least, there's a ton of comedic shit that is very similar to Dragon Ball (at least the manga, dunno about the DB anime). You can tell Toriyama didn't want to drag the series out after the Cell saga but instead of running his baby into the ground he decided to run with it and tone the seriousness down a notch. It's really pretty cool in that respect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I still can't figure out why they made Goku grow up and then left his voice the same.

I'll tell you what I like about Majin Buu. He brought the lightheartedness that was in Dragon Ball back to Dragon Ball Z, when it was basically pretty fucking serious shit around/after the Cell Games. If you watch the japanese version at least, there's a ton of comedic shit that is very similar to Dragon Ball (at least the manga, dunno about the DB anime). You can tell Toriyama didn't want to drag the series out after the Cell saga but instead of running his baby into the ground he decided to run with it and tone the seriousness down a notch. It's really pretty cool in that respect.

Fat Buu's personality is fine. I like the stuff when he's blowing up cities or when he and Mr Satan are hanging out. I just gerenally don't like his fight scenes, in any of his forms.

Coal

Fat Buu's personality is fine. I like the stuff when he's blowing up cities or when he and Mr Satan are hanging out. I just gerenally don't like his fight scenes, in any of his forms.

Yeah, it is kind of redundant after a while. Oh, we did so much damage to Majin B- *regenerates everything ever, negating any and all damage*

Edit: To dude below me, okay... you're contradicting yourself in that post. So I'm wrong for showing an "either-or scenario", but you're just repeating what everyone else is saying...

perhaps I should have explained what I meant in excruciating detail: not everyone's voice changes a huge deal when they hit puberty. yes some males go from having high child-like voices to deep, man voices, but just like not every person looks the same, not every person grows the same. what this means is that it is perfectly reasonable for goku to have a similar voice to what he had as a kid, especially considering Dragon Ball Goku (not Z)'s voice was even higher than it is in Z. What THIS means is that it is very very easy to see a transition, unless you are jumping into DBZ without seeing any of DB.

Goten and Gohan's voices are also higher pitched as adults, so I don't see why it's so hard to understand. You do realize their are men out there that can hit notes that some women only DREAM of hitting when it comes to singing? I don't see how the same can't apply for a normal, real voice. Just because you think men's voices need to be deeper as they get older doesn't really make it fact homie

jaxword

I still can't figure out why they made Goku grow up and then left his voice the same.

While Toriyama never really said, we can probably make an educated guess:

Toriyama always has a child-like element to his stories, usually with an innocent kid in a violent world. See: Young Goku, Young Gohan, Goten.

Goku himself is a bit of a man-child. His interest in fighting is the same as when he was a kid, and notably his interest in women is the same too. It's all a game and it all has rules that work out if everyone follows them in the end.

Goku also has a child-like innocence that everyone can be good and will be his friend. The unchanging child-like voice emphasizes that.

Coal

It's not an either/or scenario, you know.

A the voice used for adult Goku doesn't fit the character of an adult male.

To emphasize my post above yours, I googled "Adult men with childlike voices"

one of the first page results is Geddy Lee, lead singer/bassist/keyboardist of Rush.

tadow, my point proven

jaxword

Seriously, it's just that Goku never grew up. He is a good and honest man but he's still rather childish--look at how poor a father he is, he keeps leaving his kids alone to go play (fight) more and more.

Seems to be a Saiyin trait, now that I think about it. Vegeta's the same, Bardock's the same...

Bishop

Banned
someone clear something up for me.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/anime/dragon-ball-z-remastered-uncut-season-4/293594

when it says "with revised English dialogue and original Japanese music. "

what exactly does that mean? I want the same version which i grew up with (WHICH I ASSUME IS THE ONE WITH FAULCONER MUSIC)
Is this version going to REPLACE the music with the japanese ones? Or is it just a feature of the dvd like how you can choose to play commentary over movies?

someone clear something up for me.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/anime/dragon-ball-z-remastered-uncut-season-4/293594

when it says "with revised English dialogue and original Japanese music. "

what exactly does that mean? I want the same version which i grew up with (WHICH I ASSUME IS THE ONE WITH FAULCONER MUSIC)
Is this version going to REPLACE the music with the japanese ones? Or is it just a feature of the dvd like how you can choose to play commentary over movies?

The "revised English dialogue" just means they went back and re-recorded a few lines here and there. These sets have the option for Japanese audio, English audio with Japanese music, and English audio with original broadcast music (the one you're after, and the only complete release with that currently in print) so that's the way to go for you even though these sets are pretty much the worst in terms of video quality.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's the theme of the series. Not finishing off when they should have. I mean, Goku and the Z Fighters could have destroyed Dr. Gero and the Androids ahead of time, but chose not too.
Speaking of really bad dub script changes:

"By the time we found the dragon balls it would be too late"

Apparently it takes over 3 years to find the dragon balls. :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It does. Fake Namek is fantastic.

ew. Fake Namek was TERRIBLE.

The filler in the saiyan saga and the transition to the namek saga is the worst. The 4 or 5 gohan-centric filler episodes, fake namek, etc...

I like the Saiyan arc filler, though the Gohan befriending the dinosaur and robot and learning about loss and whatever episodes in short succession are kind of redundant thematically. Really should've been one or the other.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

"But he didn't do anything wrong yet!" etc

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because not everyone's voice gets Barry White deep when they hit puberty?

Sure, but most people's voices do in fact change. It's not exactly common even in anime to have characters of Goku's size and appearance that sound pre-pubescent.

KamenSenshi

Goku's voice fits him as the carefree, sort of big kid that he is. I couldn't picture him with a deep voice at all, he'd be like a different character. Everybody doesn't need to have a deep voice because it doesn't always fit the character.

KamenSenshi

I would say Gohan's popularity is not equivalent to anything that he had done. He eventually had his moment on Namek and people like him against Cell, but he never really did anything praiseworthy otherwise. He just seems to be popular for no real reason.

Anth0ny

I would say Gohan's popularity is not equivalent to anything that he had done. He eventually had his moment on Namek and people like him against Cell, but he never really did anything praiseworthy otherwise. He just seems to be popular for no real reason.

He got a crazy push from the Saiyan-Cell arcs, but he didn't get over with the fans as much as the editors wanted, so Goku became the main eventer once again and the Gohan storyline was dropped.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Gohan get's X-Pac heat.

At least from me.

I take it back, Gohan get's CENER heat. People who know what's up hate that whiny fuck.

Davey Cakes

I've never seen DBGT, so I decided to check out some YouTube clips. I stumbled onto one where kid Goku goes to hell and fights Frieza and Cell.

After watching it, all I can ask is...WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING?!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Reading the manga again, as I said, and he's definitely positioned quite well from the Saiyan saga onward. A lot of key moments from delivering the final blow against Vegeta to going all out on Freeza and now I'm in the Android arc so it only gets better from there.

If anything, the bitter hate toward Gohan might be the part that's overrated ;)

He got a crazy push from the Saiyan-Cell arcs, but he didn't get over with the fans as much as the editors wanted, so Goku became the main eventer once again and the Gohan storyline was dropped.

IIRC around Cell Games he was #1 in character polls. I'd have to double check.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
From what I heard the arc after Cell was meant to focus him but apparently didn't click (hence Goten), that's why Goku was brought back.

KamenSenshi

Oh I do agree that they "tried" to position Gohan as the next best thing, its just that it always seemed so forced to me. Other than that brief flash vs Frieza.

Top Bottom