• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
I still have yet to experience all of OG Dragonball. Manga or DVDs? It's never coming to Blu-Ray right?

Anime. Dragon Ball TV series doesn't suffer from the pacing problems Z does, and the little filler in the series generally is character building stuff.

As for the Blu-Ray question, never say never.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I like the episode where Goku meets a young Roshi.

I think that was filler, they don't explain how he gets back to the present so I'm going to assume it is.

Paracelsus

I like the episode where Goku meets a young Roshi.

I think that was filler, they don't explain how he gets back to the present so I'm going to assume it is.

It's filler, canon has a very short flashback (like two panels) about young Roshi and Shen witnessing Mutaito casting the mafuba and that's it.

Always have been wondering how old was Goku throughout DBZ?

We know he was 18 at the end of Dragon Ball. He's 23 at the start of DBZ, as it's 5 years after DB. supposedly he's 26 when Trunks speaks to him about the androids, after 3 years he's at 29. Then training with Gohan is a year so he's 30? This gets hazy after this going off the wiki, during the start of the Buu saga he's been dead and hasn't aged, he's 36...but is really 28? By the end of it all he's 38?...

Man look at this post...I've thought too much about this.

BHZ Mayor

All of the Broly movies are bad. He's the worst popular character in the franchise.

Agreed. OP for the sake of being OP. Not to mention the discrepancy him being able to beat SSJ2 Gohan but losing to a powered up SSJ1 Goku creates. The heart explosion (even if that's not what it really is, I like to pretend it is) at the end of the second one is the most satisfying things in the entire anime.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I've seen Bio-Broly a few times. Can't tell you what happens in it other than the fact that Broly's some gross blob thing. Clearly it has left a mark on me.

Broly's grown in a tank. When the tank is opened, he gets out turns into a green blob thing, and super acid starts oozing out of the tank in infinite quantities.

Trunks moons Broly, then gets him to fall into the acid.

They escape the island, find that the acid turns to STONE in seawater, and then acid Broly attacks them only to turn to stone and shatter. Forming a nice reef.

BHZ Mayor

Broly's grown in a tank. When the tank is opened, he gets out turns into a green blob thing, and super acid starts oozing out of the tank in infinite quantities.

Trunks moons Broly, then gets him to fall into the acid.

They escape the island, find that the acid turns to STONE in seawater, and then acid Broly attacks them only to turn to stone and shatter. Forming a nice reef.

And he's effectively beaten by the winning combination of Goten, Trunks, and Krillin.

RedSwirl

Always have been wondering how old was Goku throughout DBZ?

We know he was 18 at the end of Dragon Ball. He's 23 at the start of DBZ, as it's 5 years after DB. supposedly he's 26 when Trunks speaks to him about the androids, after 3 years he's at 29. Then training with Gohan is a year so he's 30? This gets hazy after this going off the wiki, during the start of the Buu saga he's been dead and hasn't aged, he's 36...but is really 28? By the end of it all he's 38?...

Man look at this post...I've thought too much about this.

The only thing I've been able to keep track of is other characters' ages in relation to Goku.

Takao

Banned
Agreed. OP for the sake of being OP. Not to mention the discrepancy him being able to beat SSJ2 Gohan but losing to a powered up SSJ1 Goku creates. The heart explosion (even if that's not what it really is, I like to pretend it is) at the end of the second one is the most satisfying things in the entire anime.

Seriously, we know nothing about Janemba other than the fact that he listens to music and he's already a better character than Broly.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I like the idea of them fighting another Super Saiyan. But other than that meh.

Roshi was great in the first one. Probably the only reason I liked it.

Anth0ny

Best part of the first Broly movie:

Am2VY.jpg

when I first saw the movie I thought drunk Roshi was gonna FUCK SOMEONE UP

I'm not of a fan of the character, but the first Broly movie isn't really that bad. It's not a favourite for sure, but it's okay enough. It was only when they kept bringing him back that shit got stupid.

Moaradin

Man, I wish Dragon Ball didn't go with that Saiyan route. All the adventure and charm from DB was lost in DBZ. Only time it comes back slightly was during the namek saga.

Kokonoe

Banned
"Dear God, your comments are terrible. Who's in charge of giving you a computer? Morons? Not even that, but brain dead people, who don't know anything. You make no sense, and you misspelling Frieza... DEAR GOD, and your complaining sounds like a 2 year old! Forget your horrible comment."

top comment

It's youtube, you watch the sub version and you'll see the exact same thing. Matter of fact, you go to any of the Ocean ones you'll see the same as well. Of course I'm guessing you are already aware of that.

Anyways, this one is clearly the best version of DBZ hands down.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Ah I see. It just scares me that they won't do the whole series with the new releases. Would suck to buy them all as they come and then they just stop.

Considering Funimation laid off the entire team working on this, aside form one dude who admittedly just started and wasn't finished being trained, I really wouldn't expect much from future "level" releases. Last I hear, it was a dead project. I mean... everyone in this video has either left the company or was let go when sales slumped.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have to admit, (I didn't watch Dragonball before Z) seeing Yajirobe do that the first time was pretty cool.

Considering Funimation laid off the entire team working on this, aside form one dude who admittedly just started and wasn't finished being trained, I really wouldn't expect much from future "level" releases. Last I hear, it was a dead project. I mean... everyone in this video has either left the company or was let go when sales slumped.

Ah, I forgot they actually released a Blu-Ray of some of it. I'll go purchase it now.

KillGore

Yajirobe defeated Vegeta. Without him Earth would be doomed.

Can't believe how strong he was the first time, then became a pussy, though the same happened with Roshi and Krillin so I shouldn't be surprised. It's a shame how the Saiyans (and Piccolo) made everyone else completely useless less than halfway through the series (starting from namek saga)

Anteater

Can't believe how strong he was the first time, then became a pussy, though the same happened with Roshi and Krillin so I shouldn't be surprised. It's a shame how the Saiyans (and Piccolo) made everyone else completely useless less than halfway through the series (starting from namek saga)

At least Krillin was still pretty helpful even in the Namek arc, everyone else were useless the rest of the series ever since vegeta attacked earth and killing all of them, lol.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's interesting when you think about all the people Vegeta has killed, while Goku only killed someone in the Buu saga.

Kokonoe

Banned
...what

After Future Super Buu eats Future Babidi for his treachery and changes form: upon gaining Babidi's power, he achieved his original form, the Future Kid Buu and causes Future Good Buu to be expelled. Future Kid Buu creates many puppets with Babidi's powers to fight the Z Fighters.

The final battles are set and after a long battle with the Z-Clones, Cell's clone, Future Janemba, Future Broly, Future Cooler and Future Kid Buu. Goku, Gohan, Goten, Future Bardock, and Future Gohan use their Kamehamehas to wipe out Future Kid Buu, thus saving the future.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Future_Kid_Buu

Seems they'll make a page on anything. Well, it is a wikia, but still.

TheExodu5

Banned
Watching through Z still. Up to 164 now. Skipped Garlic Jr. because it's awful. Man this series really does drag.

I would have totally bought and watched Kai if it has the awesome Bruce Faulconer music. As much as I feel the original series drags, it's worth it for the music.

Kokonoe

Banned
Watching through Z still. Up to 164 now. Skipped Garlic Jr. because it's awful. Man this series really does drag.

I would have totally bought and watched Kai if it has the awesome Bruce Faulconer music. As much as I feel the original series drags, it's worth it for the music.

Definitely. The music is just so fitting, it makes 90% of the moments for me oddly enough.
When I rewatched the series last month I kinda wished there was a "Kai" version of it, and by that I mean less filler. Some filler is quality in DBZ, but some are just real time wasters.

I'd also be able to put up with Gohan's new voice even though I really dislike it personally.

Anteater

You should read the manga instead if you haven't already, there wasn't really anything I liked about the anime in dbz, there were just too much fillers (used to always just fast forward them on vhs and only watched up to Frieza), I enjoyed db and the movies though.

Turlast

Banned
Looking back, I really wish we would've had a chance to see Vegeta, Gohan, and Krillin clash against Freeza's first form. Vegeta was still a bit weaker, but seemed to be confident that Freeza would have trouble fighting all 3 of them. If only he hadn't foolishly goaded him into transforming.

As cool as Freeza's various forms are, I wanted to actually see him fight seriously in his first form. I still remember when I heard him say what his Battle Power was for the first time. I couldn't believe it.

Zee-Row

Banned
My favorite DBZ filler episode was Terror on Arlia. I love how Vegeta and Nappa let themselves get captures by those aliens.

Top Bottom