• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Gohan's interesting in that he's a character who doesn't really care for fighting amongst a cast that pretty much lives for it. That alone gives him a certain cachet.

Anyone with me that the Saiyan-saga and Android/Cell Sagas are the best?

Best amongst Dragon Ball Z, sure, but the OG is better than the lot of it.

Vyktal

Gohan's interesting in that he's a character who doesn't really care for fighting amongst a cast that pretty much lives for it. That alone gives him a certain cachet.

I definitely agree with this. Although it's less exciting for the audience to see this in a fighting show, if you think about it, at least he's finding a profession and a life outside of fighting, which if anything should be respected!

Kinda like if you were to compare Yamcha and Krillin to Tien and Chiatzu in the later part of the show. Both Krillin and Yamcha concede to the fact that they are just too weak to be of any use fighting alongside the saiyans, so they give up serious fighting whilst pursuing happy lives.

T+C, on the other hand, continue to train as loners despite the fact that they will forever be useless against any real threat and in a serious fight will probably only get in one hit before being KOed/killed. Obviously this is a case of "whatever makes you happy", but I personally respect K+Y a lot more as it seems like less of a waste!

Leave the constant training and grunting to Goku and Vegeta, two idiots who couldn't hold down any real job.

Davey Cakes

Saiyan, yes. Last saga of Dragon Ball that even remotely felt like Dragon Ball.

Android and Cell is ridiculous bad.
No way. Android and Cell sagas are great. They're just more "out there" due to the natures of the villains as well as the time travel plot.

Different =/= bad, but you're allowed to have your opinion.

Soodanim

Oh I do agree that they "tried" to position Gohan as the next best thing, its just that it always seemed so forced to me. Other than that brief flash vs Frieza.

Really? Story-wise, I would have been happy for it to end after Cell, with Gohan being the top dog.

KamenSenshi

Really? Story-wise, I would have been happy for it to end after Cell, with Gohan being the top dog.
See, I can kinda agree that an ending after Cell could work but if it ends with Frieza then we get the legendary super saiyan, Gohan still gets to show off that he will get to be top dog with some work, and Goku goes out with a bang after destroying the moat powerful being in the universe. Until they need a movie when we find out he survived and learned instantaneous movement. I just find Cell to be pretty cheap since he can regenerate all the time and he uses everyone else's attacks, but I guess that's fitting since its a fighting anime and he would be the boss character like Dural or Seth from Street Fighter.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah people want to complain about Goten and Trunks turning SS so easily in the Boo arc but it was in the Cell Arc where the whole "Legendary Super Saiyan" idea was thrown directly into the toilet. It's also where it became the Super Saiyan Show feat. Piccolo.

Davey Cakes

I think the problem with Goten and Trunks is that they seemed to stumble upon Super Saiyan abilities without much effort. Basically, it was handed to them, which just seems sort of cheap. Everyone else had to "unlock" the power somehow, usually by being pushed over the edge.

Lately I've been thinking about Energy attacks in Dragon Ball. How is it that Goku's Kamehameha is strengthened by working out? Shouldn't chi, being some sort of life force be more naturally strengthened by meditation, like what piccolo preferred to do so often over weights and crazy gravity? :/

Or am i just thinking too much about stuff i should just except?

Korosenai

Just found this thread.

Earlier this year I bought all of the DB/DBZ vizbig's. They're incredible. I've always loved the Anime, but this was my first time actually reading the Manga.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Android 16 vs. Cell. Totally forgot about this fight.

Edit: Also forgot how stupid Vegeta was for letting Cell go absorb 18. -_-

Anth0ny

Are the Viz Big releases any good? I have 2 volumes of the small ones... whatever the english name for tankoban is.

It's the cheapest and easiest way to get your hands on the Viz manga. Also, better paper quality and color pages!

Too bad the translation itself is fucking brutal.

Earlier this year I bought all of the DB/DBZ vizbig's. They're incredible. I've always loved the Anime, but this was my first time actually reading the Manga.

The manga's really good. Pacing is so tight, it's a far cry from the dragged out animation (which also has its own charm).

Android 16 vs. Cell. Totally forgot about this fight.

C16's one of my favourite parts of the Cell arc, so I don't think I could ever forget that.

Are the Viz Big releases any good? I have 2 volumes of the small ones... whatever the english name for tankoban is.

I've only every heard good things about them. Biggest print and good value for money in terms of the amount of content in each volume. It's the way I plan on going when I eventually buy the books for myself instead of borrowing from friends/the library.

Eh, I don't mind that particular example. I'm always in favour of (reasonable) localisation in translations and Vegerot fits in that category well enough.

Korosenai

The vizbigs are definitely worth it. Each vizbig has three volumes in one (except for dragonball vizbig vol. 5 which has 4 in 1 and dbz vizbig vol. 9 which has 2 in 1). Also each vizbig has one to two chapters in full color

The only real difference between between the smaller versions and the vizbigs are the censorship. In one of the smaller dragonball volumes (I forget which one it was), you can see Bulma's breasts when Yamcha is spying on her, yet in the vizbig they are covered in bubbles.

The manga's really good. Pacing is so tight, it's a far cry from the dragged out animation (which also has its own charm).
This is actually the reason why I slightly enjoy the manga over the anime.

All in all, if you want the manga and want to save some cash, go for the vizbigs. They are better in every way besides the censorship (which is very minor).

MikeMyers

Yeah people want to complain about Goten and Trunks turning SS so easily in the Boo arc but it was in the Cell Arc where the whole "Legendary Super Saiyan" idea was thrown directly into the toilet. It's also where it became the Super Saiyan Show feat. Piccolo.

Hasn't the show always been like that?

When Goku learned Kamehameha, it was a HUGE feat.

Later on, it was one of the simplest things to do.

Bishop

Banned
Uh you mean plagiarism?

I do like that song though. Even though its a complete rip off of another.

what does it rip off? I heard about this but not sure the story behind it.

I know the music, but i cant remember if i know it from budokai one or from where it 'ripped off' lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Uh you mean plagiarism?

I do like that song though. Even though its a complete rip off of another.
Yeah, well I figured since it was also mentioned in the other GAF thread people would get the idea. But it's not a complete rip off, just that one chorus if I recall. *edit* It's a bit more.

what does it rip off? I heard about this but not sure the story behind it.

I know the music, but i cant remember if i know it from budokai one or from where it 'ripped off' lol

Hunting High and Low They make some pretty creative music.

Youtube video of other plagiarisms.

Bishop

Banned
To me they sound completely different with maybe a small likeliness. I dont really hear anything identical. Now black eyed peas pump it and the pulp fiction theme is identical.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd say the one where it's insanely obvious is Warrior from an Unknown World / Stratovarius Infinity.

I'm still surprised to find out about all this plagiarism occurred since I've been listening to these songs for a while, and some of the ones that are apparently by Stratovarius were in my tops list. From using google, apparently this happens a lot in anime.

Takao

Banned
Yamamoto got boned when he started stealing music from movies like Avatar and Terminator.

Are the Viz Big just the Kanzenban? How many chapters are in each?

No, they're not the Kanzenbans. They don't feature as many coloured pages (Viz intentionally gray scales them and they don't look so hot), or the updated art. It seems they're the closest thing we're ever getting to the Kanzenban in North America. Viz couldn't even release the rest of the Daizenshuus over here :(

Hasn't the show always been like that?

When Goku learned Kamehameha, it was a HUGE feat.

Later on, it was one of the simplest things to do.

I'm not so sure it was a huge feat for Goku. As a kid he just mimicked what he saw Roshi do and bam, ka-me-ha-me-ha, haha.

I'm not so sure it was a huge feat for Goku.

That's the point. It was built up as a big deal, having taken Roshi decades to create and master the technique, only to have Goku wander in and do it out of nowhere. Hence the comparison to Goten and Trunks' Super Saiyan transformations.

Kokonoe

Banned
Best part about the Buu Saga.

That's the point. It was built up as a big deal, having taken Roshi decades to create and master the technique, only to have Goku wander in and do it out of nowhere. Hence the comparison to Goten and Trunks' Super Saiyan transformations.

It took Roshi a while because he invented it. (Not to mention Goku is a Saiyan and has a natural control over his Ki compared to a human.)

It's different from a transformation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vegeta: "I'll never fight again."

Welp, so much for that... finished Cell Games and it's still, at least in my opinion, where the series should have ended. DB Kai did at least something right. Everyone says their goodbyes and goes there own way as it should be.

Used to watch the dub on toonami all the time and Im sure I brought home some DVDs with Brolly or whatever his name is from america years and years ago.
Oddly someone at work today was looking at buying all the DVDs of the old version of Amazon and I pointed him towards Kai,

Crovax33

I watched DBZ back in high school, so a bit ago I decided to watch DBZ Kai. I finally finished all the episodes today, what should I watch next?

I don't remember liking the Buu saga much, and I remember trying to watch subbed DB GT and having a hard time getting into it.

Should I try watch movies or watch DBZ buu or...?

Anth0ny

I watched DBZ back in high school, so a bit ago I decided to watch DBZ Kai. I finally finished all the episodes today, what should I watch next?

I don't remember liking the Buu saga much, and I remember trying to watch subbed DB GT and having a hard time getting into it.

Should I try watch movies or watch DBZ buu or...?

Dragon Ball.

Then try the movies. I always liked the Buu saga, but it's tough to watch on repeat viewings. The pacing is god awful, it would have really benefited from Kai.

Takao

Banned
I've seen Bio-Broly a few times. Can't tell you what happens in it other than the fact that Broly's some gross blob thing. Clearly it has left a mark on me.

Kokonoe

Banned
To be honest, the 2nd Broly movie was kinda bad in it's own way too. But it just doesn't compare in any way to Bio Broly.

Although it's a DBZ movie, and it's mainly for the actiony fights, so I don't think the 2nd Broly movie is bad in that regard.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Watching the 23rd tournament thing again. Found some of it to be gif worthy.

iRI5wvAfeCYIN.gif

I forgot how to not make a shitty gif with this one.

imebOLMsmMF0P.gif

They don't fight like this like at all in Z

ibtWpFBrYsshx6.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's because there weren't any saiyans, so the fights are more detailed.

For instance, Tao Paipai's fights are very fun to watch.

Top Bottom