• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball filler is a mixed bag. The one off episodes are often really enjoyable character building stuff, but then there's trash like Garlic Junior. You also can't forget the pacing filler of random shots to wildlife running away while Goku and ___ stand and talk for five minutes.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
jyEQ8.jpg

Anth0ny

I don't follow DB close, but I just heard of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIoxUjhjiBc

What the fuck? Is this fanmade? I try googling, but there's so much bullshit in between I can't find any reliable sources to believe

bullshit. Hoshi is a youtube meme associated with any new animation for the series. That video is a Bardock OVA released last year, has nothing to do with a new series.

Some of those are so bad. I never noticed the bad animation days as a kid, but now... just terrible.

andymcc

Banned
i feel really stupid for sitting on the Dragon Boxes for so long.

is there anywhere in the universe that i can get the second, third and forth boxes for significantly less than the obscenely expensive eBay/amazon prices?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, I thought people already know that anime episodes and scenes have been animated by different people.

Kokonoe

Banned
If it wasn't for watching Naruto (I don't watch anime often and just started watching Naruto a year or two ago) I wouldn't have known about different artists managing certain episodes. I surely noticed, but I never understood why until I researched it.

I have to say, I really dislike it when it cuts to low quality animation after using the real nice ones. Like where Gohan first turns Super Saiyan 2 it has the quality animation for that episode, but the next episode goes back to the lower quality one during his transformation.

It'd certainly be nice if they did a remake with modern art advances and software with only the higher quality artists, but it'd be expensive I'm sure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Old Fil-Eng dubs are pretty good.

One of the voice actors voices Jack Bauer :D

lmao @ the "cyan" comments, don't they know that's the proper pronunciation

comp12.png

comp13.png

Such a shame

It's official but not a new series. Since 08 there's been 3 20-30 minute specials and that's one of them.

Stills of the episode tell only half of the story, animation is also so much worse in the right side images.
In the other hand, there are also quite a few neat moments from time to time even in not the best looking episodes. In episode 284 for instance:
iyZAiHuOZm2XK.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
You know, the moment where Tien holds off Semi-Perfect Cell was one of the coolest moments in the show for me, but I never thought too much about it. He was literally holding off someone who was stronger than Super Namek Piccolo, which in turn is stronger than Super Saiyan.

Takao

Banned
The joke is that it was traced in flash.

It's what happens when you re animate scenes that were originally done on cells with digital tools.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah that looks like crap, really my only complaint about Kai.

Well that and the ending was dumb.

The redone scenes look better later on though. They're placed in during a lot of action, you can tell they're new but the don't look horrible like that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Edit: ^That's atrocious.

Gohan_SSJ2_Crying_by_Dessite.gif

Haters to the left. Gohan was awesome.

Absolutely, Teen Gohan is my top.
Yeah that looks like crap, really my only complaint about Kai.

Well that and the ending was dumb.

The redone scenes look better later on though. They're placed in during a lot of action, you can tell they're new but the don't look horrible like that.

My opinion of Kai can be summed up by spending 7-8 minutes watching the entirety of both of these videos.

Kai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2suTNapbs8 *edit* link fixed. Had video wrong

Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfaw75qL5JU

Not bad, but to me personally, the original was done completely on another level. I liked some of quality in Kai, but Vegeta sounded a lot better during that segment.

Kokonoe

Banned
Kai
http://youtu.be/eBIQ7tfauJI?t=5m32s

Original dub
http://youtu.be/AXzooTdJ3U0?t=46s

Vegeta sounds like a god damn doofus in the original dub.

It's like... who fucking talks like that?

Redone dub was the bestest part about Kai.

I agree that specific line was off, it was only until a few episodes later where the Vegeta voice became perfect to me. (hence the Final Flash video) There are a few lines in the Frieza saga like that as well.
The Final Flash done in Kai doesn't really sound like Vegeta, just a random person muffling.

I also liked the old dialogue, but that's just me. I think the dialogue used in the original dub has more of an impact, while having a bit more charisma.

jaxword

Agreed. Funi Dub has Vegeta sounding constipated, the Kai dub is definitely a step up, but Abridged Vegeta is best Vegeta. :p

Android 19 sounds awful in both, couldn't they have tried to make him sound menacing? Both versions sound like a little kid, but at least the first one adds the robotic flang.

Minion101

Banned
I hated when they switched from the pioneer voice actors to the crappy off the street local talent (happened when Goku started fighting the Ginyu Force). Vegeta sounded particularly bad because (on top of crappy acting) he was trying to mimic the "rasp" of the original ocean/pioneer voice actor.

I love the delivery of the "You wont escape my wrath" line. Vegeta never had the same flavor even though the new voice actor got better in subsequent redubs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0bwFN-K9w&feature=youtu.be&t=39s

jaxword

Majin Buu is neo Android 19 as far as the dub is concerned.

I remember junior high and a lot of people being turned off by Buu's idiotic voice. He already was childish and pushing the limit, the voice just made people less accepting of DBZ.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
That animation article is nice.

I remember going back to watch Goku vs Piccolo for the first time right after coming off the Cell Games. The difference in animation quality between those 2 particular eras of the series was staggering, and it wasn't obvious until I watched them back to back like that.

Feep

Banned
Clarification: "Dragon Ball Hoshi" is completely fake. The above special about Bardock is a one-off, entitled "Episode of Bardock", which is an animated adaptation of a 3-part manga series. It's a "what-if?" type of thing.

Top Bottom