• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Haha, this thread reminds me I must still watch GT!

bxI0U.gif

Seriously before it's too late, you still have time to protect yourself

Kokonoe

Banned
Yes, you can tell by the fact it's 16:9 features the dub score, and has insane DVNR.

For some reason I thought the remastered funimation version was just the original with better video quality. I think it's time to purchase some DVDs, thanks.

Takao

Banned
For some reason I thought the remastered funimation version was just the original with better video quality. I think it's time to purchase some DVDs, thanks.

The footage in that video is from the orange season sets Funimation released a few years back on DVD. They're cropped to 16:9 (Dragon Ball was animated at 4:3), have messed up colours, and have had a tonne of DVNR applied to very lazily remove grain. The by product of that is the fact it removes a tonne of detail along with it.

Kokonoe

Banned
The footage in that video is from the orange season sets Funimation released a few years back on DVD. They're cropped to 16:9 (Dragon Ball was animated at 4:3), have messed up colours, and have had a tonne of DVNR applied to very lazily remove grain. The by product of that is the fact it removes a tonne of detail along with it.

Yeah, I noticed the crop and the smudgey look. I think I've actually been watching the remastered when I usually rewatch the series on youtube or other streaming sites, but the Frieza saga remastered isn't ever uploaded for some reason.

I suppose I'll watch it more for audio more than video, but all this reminds me is that I need to check out the cancelled Blu-Ray release to see it for a mix of both.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah so I went to the New York comic convention and realized the only things I spent money on besides a train ticket and food was on Dragon Ball stuff.

First off I bought Infinite World, which I have no clue when I'll ever actually have the time to play.

Next I bought this hot ass shirt

63P3v.jpg

and uh that was it. I managed to only buy 2 things the whole weekend.

I did take a bunch of pics though

The case on the left had the caption you'd expect.... for some reason....

Weirdest thing I saw would probably be these

They're just colored incense with pics of DBZ characters on the box, I thought it was weird as hell, that and the Megaman air fresheners.

They did put them with these cool statue/figures though.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, Broly isn't smart, but God damn if he can't beat everyone into a pulp. I mean, he took on 4 Super Saiyans at once, plus Piccolo, and the fucker never went down once. Like, he wasn't even tired at the end.

edit: Also, he took a kamehamaha to the face from 2 feet away and didn't even flinch.

Anth0ny

I'm curious, after FUNimation releases Kai Season Four on DVD/Bluray, do we really have no Dragon Ball releases on the horizon in North America? Or Japan for that matter? I can't remember this ever being the case. There was always something to look forward to, no matter how rushed or rehashed.

My theory is Toei is digitally remastering the series again for Blu Ray as promotion for the movie next year, which is why FUNi had to cancel their Blu Ray release hella early.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, how come Piccolo was able to merge with that other Namek (forgot his name, he was with Dende I think)?

Ay yo FUCK Naruto

I hate Naruto nowadays primarily because Kishimoto likes to kick him whenever he does best by putting Sauce-kay and his Uchiha fetish as a center screen. I actually returned reading when Naruto became that badass dude in the invasion arc but then he became an idiot again because he was becoming more badass than that Uchiha guy.

FootballFan

Don't really know if this thread is still on the topic but I've been reading the manga and watching the anime at the same time.

Both are equally as enjoyable, it is quite odd how they turn a couple of pages into a whole episode though.

I like how Dragon Ball is softer and funnier than DBZ. They aren't overpowered either, which is a good thing. I am up to King Piccollo or Volume 12.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Don't really know if this thread is still on the topic but I've been reading the manga and watching the anime at the same time.

Both are equally as enjoyable, it is quite odd how they turn a couple of pages into a whole episode though.

I like how Dragon Ball is softer and funnier than DBZ. They aren't overpowered either, which is a good thing. I am up to King Piccollo or Volume 12.

Welcome to the world of Shounen

Takao

Banned
Where is my Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans sequel? It is the best Dragon Ball game.

Previously I'd say it was impossible because Nintendo now owns 100% of the developer, but due to Monolithsoft making Project X Zone for Namco Bandai I guess a sequel is still possible. The problem is that Attack of the Saiyans sold very well in Japan, but poorly internationally, which is the opposite of how Dragon Ball as a whole is doing right now.

I'm curious, after FUNimation releases Kai Season Four on DVD/Bluray, do we really have no Dragon Ball releases on the horizon in North America? Or Japan for that matter? I can't remember this ever being the case. There was always something to look forward to, no matter how rushed or rehashed.

My theory is Toei is digitally remastering the series again for Blu Ray as promotion for the movie next year, which is why FUNi had to cancel their Blu Ray release hella early.

You know, it was very kind of Toei to even allow Funimation to release Blu-Rays. There were no Japanese equivalents and because Blu-Ray regions are shared between Japan and North America I have to imagine there were some imports. Funimation even got through all the movies before Toei has even announced a release on BD.

I hated when they switched from the pioneer voice actors to the crappy off the street local talent (happened when Goku started fighting the Ginyu Force). Vegeta sounded particularly bad because (on top of crappy acting) he was trying to mimic the "rasp" of the original ocean/pioneer voice actor.

I love the delivery of the "You wont escape my wrath" line. Vegeta never had the same flavor even though the new voice actor got better in subsequent redubs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0bwFN-K9w&feature=youtu.be&t=39s
The original ocean dub was easily the best. That scene gave me chills as a kid.

Sabat never came close to the highs of Drummond, like the classic "over 9000!" but he did get better and eventually became one of the better voice actors of the series. For example his monologue as Majin Vegeta was amazing. I think Sabat played a very good older, matured Vegeta that Drummond might not have managed (he only really got to do angry, evil vegeta).

I thought the actors Funimation hired later in the series were quite decent too; Cell, Trunks, Boo, Mr. Satan all had good voice acting

I just wish they had retained the same VAs with high production values all the way through

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The original ocean dub was easily the best. That scene gave me chills as a kid.

Sabat never came close to the highs of Drummond, like the classic "over 9000!" but he did get better and eventually became one of the better voice actors of the series. For example his monologue as Majin Vegeta was amazing. I think Sabat played a very good older, matured Vegeta that Drummond might not have managed (he only really got to do angry, evil vegeta).

I thought the actors Funimation hired later in the series were quite decent too; Cell, Trunks, Boo, Mr. Satan all had good voice acting

I just wish they had retained the same VAs with high production values all the way through

That's because DBZ was Sabat's first voice acting gig. He was a sound designer and audio editor, not a professional voice actor. And here he was being thrown into a dozen different roles on DBZ as his first job.

Funi's dub started out complete shit but it got better during Buu, and Kai's dub is amazing. The Texas cast really found their bearings.

The major problem seemed to be that at first, they tried to just mimic the Ocean dub, and when they started introducing newer characters they had more liberty to cast, you know, normal-sounding people. Trunks was the first major example of this. Sabat and Schemmel had also settled into their own takes on their characters at that point.

So I just finished Kai and it was pretty awesome. I'd never seen much of Cell before. Debating whether to start on DB or continue on in Z with where Kai leaves off.

Takao

Banned
jyBm2.jpg

Toshio Furukawa, the voice actor for Piccolo, announced today via his Twitter account that they had just finished recording all of their dialogue for a “certain anime”. He even included a photo of the cast after wrapping things up, which included (from left to right) Ryō Horikawa (Vegeta), Mayumi Tanaka (Kuririn), Masako Nozawa (Son Goku), and himself. Fans quickly jumped all over it, assuming he was speaking of the upcoming Dragon Ball Z movie, and so much so that Furukawa had to respond saying it didn’t have anything to do with the new movie. That leaves many wondering what four main cast members from Dragon Ball would be working on together, other than something Dragon Ball-related. Could it be something for Dragon Ball Heroes? Maybe another video game? Something we know nothing about, yet? Either way, we at least got a cool picture out of it!

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/02/regular-dragon-ball-cast-calls-it-a-wrap-on-something/

Takao

Banned
So, the cast got together to ... record more Dragon Ball Kai?!

Mere days after Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo)’s cryptic tweets about finishing up a mysterious recording session, Mayumi Tanaka (Kuririn) has let slip via her blog just what exactly it was: a continuation of Dragon Ball Kai… with a hitch.

It won’t be aired in Japan, but overseas, Dragon Ball Kai is continuing.
Right now, we are recording the part at the Tenka’ichi Budōkai, where Goten and Trunks infiltrate the adults’ division by one standing on the other’s shoulders.
The image is definitely clearer than before.
We talked about how we want it to air in Japan, too.
— Mayumi

This is yet another twist in the Kai saga, which saw the show conclude after only the Cell arc, a scandal that resulted in the replacement of nearly the entire score, and a natural disaster that prevented its final episode from being broadcast. And with partial foreign funding of the upcoming Dragon Ball Z movie, there is the tantalizing possibility that overseas rights-holders wanted the Buu arc badly enough to help finance it. In the absence of an official statement from any of the relevant entities, however, we can merely speculate.

The only question that remains is, why record the dialogue in Japanese if the show will not be broadcast in Japan? It seems like a great deal of trouble to go to simply to maintain consistency in home releases abroad, so perhaps the show may eventually see daylight in Japan, in one form or another. Only time will tell.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/06/dragon-ball-kai-continues-but-not-in-japan/

Tizoc

Nice, so they're doing the Buu saga after all.
I understand it's criticisms but I would much like to have the 'full series'.
Also Mr. Satan FTW.

DragonBall was the manga of my childhood. A flawed masterpiece that allowed a lot of mangas to come over and kickstarted the interest for anime in general. However, One Piece beats it thinking rationally. Oda is a fan of Dragonball himself, and I like the amount of planning he does beforehand. Post-namek saga, Toriyama wanted to call it quits but he couldn't due to popularity. Not to mention the absurdity of exponential power levels.

PS: Talking about the manga.

Top Bottom