• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Anth0ny

I'm happy that Kai is continuing. Although I much prefer watching Z (the "reanimated" scenes in Kai are jarring as fuck), I think the Buu saga will benefit greatly from better pacing.

Besides, I don't think I could watch Mr. Satan being voiced by anyone other than Daisuke Gouri ; _ ;

I suppose the Japanese version will be included with a North American DVD/Bluray release? No reason not to.

I wonder what the final episode count will be. 130? 150?

Takao

Banned
I wonder what they'll do with the music. Continue onwards with lazily pasting Kikuchi's tracks or get someone else to lay down some new music?

mltplkxr

Speaking of the Buu Saga. Was anyone else amazed at the fact that the world is basically saved by everyone chanting Satan repeatedly?

Hopefully with new Kai episodes, the DBZ clips online will go from "1080p" shit DNR'd, color saturation through the roof, stretched out garbage to something approaching watchable.

Speaking of the Buu Saga. Was anyone else amazed at the fact that the world is basically saved by everyone chanting Satan repeatedly?

Satan had that which every Z fighter was lacking: fame. They never cared, they just did good and saved earth several times with no actual publicity. On that time it was needed, and a lame character like Mr.Satan (on android saga) eventually turned the one who tried the most to save earth (and his ass, of course).

Takao

Banned
Hopefully with new Kai episodes, the DBZ clips online will go from "1080p" shit DNR'd, color saturation through the roof, stretched out garbage to something approaching watchable.

It'll still be orange brick footage even when the eventual 4K restoration comes out, lol.

The Boat

Satan had that which every Z fighter was lacking: fame. They never cared, they just did good and saved earth several times with no actual publicity. On that time it was needed, and a lame character like Mr.Satan (on android saga) eventually turned the one who tried the most to save earth (and his ass, of course).

I don't think that's his point.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yamcha had fame for a time though. Famous thief and famous baseball star.

But then again you do have to factor the fact that he's Yamcha into the equation.

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball Heroes: Galaxy Mission 5 Animated Short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gvjnPtuKtY

First time we've gotten exclusively GT related animation since ... well when the show was airing. Also, apparently Scamco has moved 100 million Heroes cards just in Japan. That is crazy.

It also seems that Pilaff and his crew may be in the new movie:

Much like with a few instances of Dragon Ball TV series filler and the introduction to Dragon Ball GT, it seems that the original villain from the series — none other than Pilaf himself — will be making at least a cameo in the upcoming Dragon Ball Z movie hitting Japanese theaters next March.

The 30th “Prize Fair” took place in Tokyo today, and Bandai was on hand to showcase some of the new Dragon Ball figures coming this winter. In addition to the previously-announced third line of Zōkei Tenka’ichi Budōkai figures were some items for their “World Collectable Figure” line — small set of eight figures around 7 cm tall — being produced in conjunction with next year’s movie. Along with Goku and Vegeta, Pilaf, Mai, and Shuu have been revealed.

Three additional characters are covered up with black ovals and are listed as “Secret”. There’s also a short paragraph, seen directly under the movie’s poster, that discusses the actual release of the figure line:

Furthermore, there’s the “Dragon Ball Z” movie, the first in 17 years that will premiere on 30 March 2013! A “World Collectable Figure” series will coincide with the release of the movie, covering movie characters that make an appearance!! Check them out here as well!

It would certainly be a welcome surprise to see the not-so-dangerous trio show up in the upcoming movie in at least some minor capacity, but it makes you wonder who the three blocked out characters are. Either way, here’s hoping for some comedy gold!

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/07/pilaf-to-appear-in-upcoming-2013-dragon-ball-z-movie/

Takao

Banned
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/10/new-2013-dragon-ball-z-movie-title-battle-of-gods/

Manga-news Japon has posted a new image (which appears to semi-originate on a 2ch thread) promoting the new theatrical Dragon Ball Z movie set to hit Japanese theaters on 2013 March 30, and this time we have a title: ”Battle of Gods”, with a possible subtitle of Kami to Kami (“God and God”).

GfbRB.jpg

Super Saiyan Goku is blocking an elbow from a rabbit-esque character (with what we think looks like some futuristic Egyptian garb), with yet another new character centered behind them showered in light. A good mix of returning characters line the bottom of the image, including Gohan (transformed into a Super Saiyan, interestingly enough for this point in the story), Vegeta, Trunks, Bulma, Piccolo, Goten, and Majin Buu. A female character is also shown, which could possibly be Videl with one of her short haircuts, though it could also be one of the various Dragon Ball Heroes female avatar characters making a cameo… or any other variety of random character insertions. Tenshinhan appears to be hanging out in the far background, and there are even a couple other tiny additions that we will not even attempt to make calls on!

It is worth noting that the image appears to be a screen shot itself taken off a computer screen (specifically a Mac OS computer) — we do not know the origin of the image, and cannot yet 100% vouch for its legitimacy.

Takao

Banned
If you notice on the bottom left, you can kind of make out Shu, Mai, and Pilaaf which certainly helps the validity of the image.

Davey Cakes

So for some reason I recently had the inclination to watch some DBZ.

I had never seen any of the movies all the way through, so I decided to watch Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan. I was mildly entertained throughout but that's about it. I didn't find the movie to be anything special. Broly is basically a god with endless amounts of power who gets taken down in near-anticlimactic fashion after everyone somehow lends their power to Goku. The story was just goofy. If all the DBZ movies are like this then there's a reason I've stayed away from them.

Last night however, I marathoned DBZ episodes 184 (Cell Juniors Attack) to 194 (Free the Future). Now that's the good shit.

Kai would be DBZ perfected if they switched the Music. Ugh. Fucking hell. It's borderline unwatchable because my ears are constantly being bled with shitty music.

DominoKid

So for some reason I recently had the inclination to watch some DBZ.

I had never seen any of the movies all the way through, so I decided to watch Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan. I was mildly entertained throughout but that's about it. I didn't find the movie to be anything special. Broly is basically a god with endless amounts of power who gets taken down in near-anticlimactic fashion after everyone somehow lends their power to Goku. The story was just goofy. If all the DBZ movies are like this then there's a reason I've stayed away from them.

Last night however, I marathoned DBZ episodes 184 (Cell Juniors Attack) to 194 (Free the Future). Now that's the good shit.

the movies are hilarious to watch. i always got a kick out of seeing the team get their ass kicked for the better part of an hour before winning on some kind of asspull.

whenever i need my dbz fix i just pop in one of the movies.

Branson

So are the Blu rays of the movies any good? I've always wanted to watch them in order just since I've only seen like 3 of them. I feel like it would be interesting. I have them on an amazon wish list. They also have the movie pack on DVD but those are...on DVD. I wish they would do a movie pack with blu ray.

Also I was going to get the dragon boxes for the series but I already have 2 of the orange bricks and the db's are very hard to find. The obs are easier and cheaper. And the actuall image quality to me is fine I guess. Boo. Why are there so many fucking releases?!? Lol

Takao

Banned
The Movie steel books are good. They are cropped but since these were theatrical releases being in widescreen is how they were intended to be viewed. Funimation also dropped much of the DVNR for the most part.

Branson

The Movie steel books are good. They are cropped but since these were theatrical releases being in widescreen is how they were intended to be viewed. Funimation also dropped much of the DVNR for the most part.
Those are the double feature ones right? I guess the Broly one has 3.

Also fuck funi for making the dragon boxes so limited. The first 2 boxes sell for like $100-300 each. I'm not paying that for just those 2. I guess the bricks are my only shot at getting the show kind of ok price wise anymore. Ugh.

Takao

Banned
Yes, those are the double features.

I am kind of ashamed to say this, but I actually don't own a single Dragon Box ... I just didn't have the money to buy them when they were coming out and when I did they were already getting quite expensive.

Branson

I am kind of ashamed to say this, but I actually don't own a single Dragon Box ... I just didn't have the money to buy them when they were coming out and when I did they were already getting quite expensive.

Same situation here actually.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Best fuckin' part of DBZ in my opinion, although I would include the Goku fight right before as well for the instant transmission kamehameha.

Jinroh

SSJ Gohan? Noooooo...

Anyway, even though GT sucks, is there some kind of box with all episodes somewhere? Something of good quality comparable to the japanese edition?

Takao

Banned
SSJ Gohan? Noooooo...

Anyway, even though GT sucks, is there some kind of box with all episodes somewhere? Something of good quality comparable to the japanese edition?

The green bricks (season sets) will do you fine. Amazon has each for $18 a piece, and the combined release for just under $50.

Anth0ny

ssj gohan?

Come on, that's a GT mistake. Toriyama must have forgot he doesn't need it.

EXTRA EXTRA

GAF'S BIGGEST DRAGON BALL FAN DOESN'T OWN THE SHOW ON DVD

Start picking them up now! They're in extremely limited supply. Set 1 and 2 are already out of print and approaching $200 a pop. 3-7 are still $40 on Amazon. An awesome price for an awesome set.

I have all 7 Dboxes, and for whatever reason, the Japanese GT Box. It's pretty :)

Takao

Banned
I have all of Dragon Ball on DVD...

It's just the Orange Bricks. I bought them as they were being released as I figured nothing better was going to come out.

Feels really bad man.

Anth0ny

I have all of Dragon Ball on DVD...

It's just the Orange Bricks.
I bought them as they were being released as I figured nothing better was going to come out.

Feels really bad man.

EXTRA EXTRA

I also own it via orange bricks, thinking a Dragon Box release would never happen. welp. own it twice now.

Branson

ssj gohan?

Come on, that's a GT mistake. Toriyama must have forgot he doesn't need it.

EXTRA EXTRA

Start picking them up now! They're in extremely limited supply. Set 1 and 2 are already out of print and approaching $200 a pop. 3-7 are still $40 on Amazon. An awesome price for an awesome set.

I have all 7 Dboxes, and for whatever reason, the Japanese GT Box. It's pretty :)

The first two aren't worth that much right? Please tell me no lol.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I watched my dvd of the second Broly movie and holy shit do these dvds look like ass.

Is it funimation's fault it do dvds just look that bad.

Top Bottom