• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Well, it's that annual time again where I post one of the most greatest and terrible things ever witnessed in dubbing history. Even if you aren't a fan of the series, it's worth watching this masterpiece.

Malaysian Dub DBZ Quotes

Listen, a troublesome thing hatd happen.

Gold Jerry, Gold!

I'm hoping for DragonBall Blu-rays, and the continuation of DBZ BD, GT too, why not?
Also hoping for a new series after the 2013 movies takes the world by storm.

Malajax

Fun. The best way I could describe both of those is fun. The first one takes some pretty insane leaps of fan fiction logic. The earth was safe from threats at the end of GT, but they still have to train... For some reason! And Uub marries Pan? I... What? Gohan magically has his tail again! I guess that's just a GT leap of logic. For what it is, it's surprisingly well animated in some spots. Looks pretty bad in other spots, so you could say its faithful to the anime haha. Wouldn't mind watching more of that just to see how crazy it gets.

The second one was an interesting interpretation of Dragon Ball. The actors were pretty bad though. It works better than the movie did at least.

As far as Dragon Ball goes, I just bought the whole series off of Amazon for a little over $70. Heard the blue bricks weren't as bad as the orange bricks, so why not? So in addition to my dragon box sets, I have 444 episodes of the series. Just need GT to finish it off, but I'm not sure if I want to go that far haha. Hoping Funimation releases the movies in dragon box sets. I've been holding off in case it happens.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Am I the only one who liked our local (Filipino) English dub lol

It made Vegeta a classy jerkass, Piccolo sounded an actual alien, and Goku sounded like a teen who can go deep.

Kokonoe

Banned
Fun. The best way I could describe both of those is fun.

Well, I didn't care for the 'real-life' one, but I agree on that's how I'd view the first one. There are some parts that are little hilarious, but it's fanwork and I can tell it must be pretty difficult doing stuff like that anyways. The main part I thought was funny was the talk with Pan, but other than that it's kinda nice to see. I definitely want to watch the rest of them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay, this is a long shot, but I'm still hoping that someone here can help. I've been trying to track down the AB Group (aka Big Green) dub DVDs of Dragonball Z movies 1-11. Supposedly they were only available in the UK and the Netherlands (and movies 4-11 were exclusively available in the Netherlands, apparently), and I can only find movies 1-3 on amazon.co.uk. I've exhausted pretty much every search option I have, but if any of you happen to know where I can purchase them (hell, I'd buy them off of one of you if you had them or knew where to get them B&M), please let me know. Trying to find them has been kind of a nightmare, hah.

Anth0ny

Okay, this is a long shot, but I'm still hoping that someone here can help. I've been trying to track down the AB Group (aka Big Green) dub DVDs of Dragonball Z movies 1-11. Supposedly they were only available in the UK and the Netherlands (and movies 4-11 were exclusively available in the Netherlands, apparently), and I can only find movies 1-3 on amazon.co.uk. I've exhausted pretty much every search option I have, but if any of you happen to know where I can purchase them (hell, I'd buy them off of one of you if you had them or knew where to get them B&M), please let me know. Trying to find them has been kind of a nightmare, hah.

I've been trying to find them too, lol. No luck.

does dragon ball kai have the option to use the original japanese background music?

what a loaded question

If you mean Japanese language track, yes, it's on both the DVD and Blu Ray.

Moaradin

i mean the japanese music.

You mean the original Japanese music?

yamamoto_chart_large.png

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/kenji-yamamoto-retrospective/

Was asking the same question a couple weeks ago.

Anth0ny

The origin of Dragon Ball AF

Mind fucking blown. I always thought it was art from some long lost Japanese doujinshi.

The image was probably scanned with a shitty scanner from some old Spanish magazine, and after 13 years of quality loss on the internets, here it is:

Hau3b.jpg

And here's the original image, straight from the author:

crazy.

Takao

Banned

You might be able to find someone willing to part with it on the Kanzenshuu forums. The first three Z movies are a lot more commonly found than any other piece of Big Green content IIRC.

yeah i mean the original score from when it aired in 1984 or whatever year it was broadcast.

If you wait long enough Funimation is bound to do a re-release of Kai starting from episode 1, and because of the music scandal it would be the 1989 music in it. In fact, they may have already done that with their Kai season sets but I'm not completely sure.

Davey Cakes

I've been re-watching DBZ, starting in the Androids Saga. Kind of weird to go back after doing that Cell Games run-through I did earlier, but for some reason I just felt like re-watching how everything builds up. Still the original dub, so I'm dealing with the filler and all that but I'm actually enjoying it. The show isn't so bad if you marathon 3-6 episodes at a time.

I forgot how refreshing Goku's attitude is after getting out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. It's not the obvious "I'm much stronger now and I'm going to kick Cell's butt" deal that you'd expect up to that point. Rather, it's more like:

"You're much stronger now, Goku. Think you'll be able to beat Cell?"

"Nope. He'll probably pound me into the ground."

Obviously Goku was exaggerating, because he does eventually put up a good fight. But, I just enjoy that he was more realistic about it and decided to be calm and put his faith in Gohan instead.

Malajax

Mind fucking blown. I always thought it was art from some long lost Japanese doujinshi.

The image was probably scanned with a shitty scanner from some old Spanish magazine, and after 13 years of quality loss on the internets, here it is:

Hau3b.jpg

crazy.

Mind equally blown. I remember going nuts over this in middle school. Awesome that we finally know where it came from over a decade later!

Takao

Banned
Well, the people who made that video own a production company so I imagine they didn't pay to buy any equipment.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You might be able to find someone willing to part with it on the Kanzenshuu forums. The first three Z movies are a lot more commonly found than any other piece of Big Green content IIRC.

That's definitely more of a lead than I had before. Thanks!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Planet Trade Organization, with all their technology and resources, takes the strongest being in the known universe, Frieza, fits him with advanced cybernetic implants, to create cybernetic Frieza, a really really strong being.

Some nobody human named Dr. Gero from technologically inferior Earth takes a regular human, fits him with cybernetic implants, and creates a cyborg that is stronger than Frieza.

Please explain.

Dereck

Hau3b.jpg

crazy.
My fellow snot nosed know it all friends in elementary-middle school used to bring this pic to school and talk about AF. I hated it.

Anth0ny

The Planet Trade Organization, with all their technology and resources, takes the strongest being in the known universe, Frieza, fits him with advanced cybernetic implants, to create cybernetic Frieza, a really really strong being.

Some nobody human named Dr. Gero from technologically inferior Earth takes a regular human, fits him with cybernetic implants, and creates a cyborg that is stronger than Frieza.

Please explain.

Yeah, I always found it hard to buy how powerful the Androids/Cell are. At least Buu kinda makes sense as a super powerful being created by the greatest wizard in all the universe millions of years ago. That sounds more like the logical next step after Freeza, not... some scientist on Earth creates Androids that are stronger than fucking Freeza and Super Saiyans.

After Buu, it's hard to think of anything that can top him. At this point, we're in gods of gods of gods territory. What can be more powerful than the Kaioshin?

Easy! The Dragon Balls. The Evil Dragons from GT is an amazing concept (execution not so much), and really the perfect way to wrap up the series, villain wise. You can't get stronger than the Dragon Balls!

I feel like I'm going to have a hard time buying that this new villain is stronger than Buu.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I know rite? If even some dipshit scientist on a primitive Earth can make cyborgs stronger than Frieza...if it's that easy...why hasn't anyone else done so before?

I also didn't like how Buu had to rely on the absorption trick after Cell already did it. They surely could have thought of something else more original.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would have been hilarious if Frieza's cyborg parts were the excuse for the Androids being so damn strong.

Yeah, I always found it hard to buy how powerful the Androids/Cell are. At least Buu kinda makes sense as a super powerful being created by the greatest wizard in all the universe millions of years ago. That sounds more like the logical next step after Freeza, not... some scientist on Earth creates Androids that are stronger than fucking Freeza and Super Saiyans.

After Buu, it's hard to think of anything that can top him. At this point, we're in gods of gods of gods territory. What can be more powerful than the Kaioshin?

Easy! The Dragon Balls. The Evil Dragons from GT is an amazing concept (execution not so much), and really the perfect way to wrap up the series, villain wise. You can't get stronger than the Dragon Balls!

I feel like I'm going to have a hard time buying that this new villain is stronger than Buu.

It would have been hilarious if Frieza's cyborg parts were the excuse for the Androids being so damn strong.

but Gero probably found bits and pieces of Frieza and reverse engineered the tech and improved on it. and Buu was only one known evil. the universe is a big place and who knows what else is out there. there were five supreme Kais maybe there is one ultimate Kai and then Kais from other universes and the Ultra Omega super powerful Kai of the multiverse.

Reiko

Banned

He should be. Kid Buu was Buu's power without cheating.

Please explain.

Gero designed his cybernetics after decades of observation of specimens of the highest quality from both the Saiyan and Namek races. He started behind technologically but was working from premium specimens.

Gero designed his cybernetics after decades of observation of specimens of the highest quality from both the Saiyan and Namek races. He started behind technologically but was working from premium specimens.

That explanation (which they gave) never made sense. He observed Frieza being powerful, which gave him the knowledge to create something more powerful?

wtf

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That explanation (which they gave) never made sense. He observed Frieza being powerful, which gave him the knowledge to create something more powerful?

wtf

Don't try to make sense out of it.

After all, according to Dragon Ball:

Fat Buu - Evil Buu = Mr. Buu

Evil Buu + Mr. Buu = Super Buu

Super Buu - Mr. Buu = Kid Buu.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The power of observation! Seems like a stretch. Was he really that smart? I'd think Bulma could have made some augmentations of her own too.

Eh, whatever.

Did Future Trunks know beforehand that it was all Gero's fault? He could have just went a few more years back in time and killed Gero before he even made any of those cyborgs.

Takao

Banned
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/12/20/full-colored-manga-re-release-and-chozenshu-announced/

A new fully-colored version of the Dragon Ball manga — at least covering the early part of the “Z” era events — has been announced in the February 2013 issue of V-Jump released today in Japan. As opposed to the “TV Animation Comics”, which utilized screen shots of the TV series, these volumes will be colored-in versions of the original manga drawn by Akira Toriyama. New listings for the first three “Full Color Comics” volumes, which will cover the Saiyan arc of the series, have already been posted on Shueisha’s S-MANGA website with a scheduled release date of 04 February 2013. So far no retail price has been announced.

In addition to this fully-colored re-release of the manga, another listing has been posted for the first volume of what is being called a “Chōzenshū” (超全集). This term was last tossed around back in 2008 for the 13-disc music compilation which was eventually retitled under a simple “Dragon Ball Z Complete Song Collection Box”. As of right now we are unsure if this is a new line of guide books, a la the “Daizenshuu”, or something else entirely. We’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we have clarification.

These new releases are tied in with a new traveling Dragon Ball-themed exhibition being held in three different cities, obviously itself tying in with the impending release of the upcoming “Battle of Gods” film due out 30 March 2013.

Anth0ny

The images on Kanzenshuu of the colored manga look incredible.

A fully colored manga was something I deemed impossible many years ago. The fact that it's actually happening kinda blows my mind.

Also:

The page also specifies that the “Chōzenshū” will be a four volume set of illustrated reference books that “tell everything about Dragon Ball“. The four volumes are listed to come out next year on February 4th, March 4th, April 4th, and May 9th, respectively.

More daizenshuu, it sounds like.

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball SD is full colour
no one cares

Y'all hate the digital Dragon Ball animation age, but I've bee watching the Medabots anime. The switch between the first series and Damashii is so jarring. So is the drop in quality, but that's a different thread ...

Top Bottom