• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Wiseblade

Then how does that explain the Future Trunks situation? He absolutely did not believe Trunks was a saiyan despite seeing Trunks turn super saiyan purely because he thought the only saiyans were himself, Goku, and Gohan. Or how about Vegeta's speech claiming that that all saiyans were destroyed. Even Radditz stated that there was only himself, Goku, Vegeta, and Nappa left. Radditz stated that they needed all of the saiyans, even if weak, to help conquer more planets. That was the whole reason why he came to Earth in the first place. They all somehow forgot just because they were weak?

Vegeta didn't want to acknowledge that someone stronger than him had come out of nowhere and even worse, they'd achieved what he couldn't by becoming a Super Saiyan.

Vegeta didn't want to acknowledge that someone stronger than him had come out of nowhere and even worse, they'd achieved what he couldn't by becoming a Super Saiyan.

It was more about him legitimately thinking there were only 3 saiyans left. He also said saiyans can't have the hair color of Trunks.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That number is WAY too high.

If true, they're probably leaving in the Other World tournament and some Great Saiyaman filler, at the very least.

That episode number sucks if true, but...I thought there wasn't any more Kai episodes after Cell?

Vegeta probably just assumed Tarble was killed while he was out in exile. It's not as though Vegeta ever talks about his family in depth (at least not in any of the anime I've seen. Might be different in the manga).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Vegeta is ego-centric.

Also Goku is the only pleasant saiyan barring Tarble huh? Trunks, Goten and Gohan don't count for being half-breeds.

Also I'm glad Krillin is getting more recognition over Tien Shinhan :)

Takao

Banned
Yeah Vegeta is ego-centric.

Also Goku is the only pleasant saiyan barring Tarble huh? Trunks, Goten and Gohan don't count for being half-breeds.

Also I'm glad Krillin is getting more recognition over Tien Shinhan :)

This is another thing about Tarble. He's the only Saiyan whose never shown a want to destroy worlds. Goku would've destroyed Earth had he not taken a huge hit to the head.

Xzeon

Banned
This is another thing about Tarble. He's the only Saiyan whose never shown a want to destroy worlds. Goku would've destroyed Earth had he not taken a huge hit to the head.

does Tarble take the trophy for worst name in DBZ?

hmmmm, was Bra in GT or Z?

if we count GT then Bra is the worst name in the entire series.

Takao

Banned
does Tarble take the trophy for worst name in DBZ?

hmmmm, was Bra in GT or Z?

if we count GT then Bra is the worst name in the entire series.

His name is a pun:

vegetable - all of the Saiyans have food based name puns.

Bra's name is a pun on that family's name. Bulma is a type of Japanese panties, with her father's last name being Dr. Briefs. Trunks is a pun on swim trunks. The entire family are named after undergarments.

Xzeon

Banned
His name is a pun:

vegetable - all of the Saiyans have food based name puns.

Bra's name is a pun on that family's name. Bulma is a type of Japanese panties, with her father's last name being Dr. Briefs. Trunks is a pun on swim trunks. The entire family are named after undergarments.

i knew all of that already, doesnt stop it from being a stupid name.

Goku and Vegeta sound cool, even if the meaning/origin of the name is stupid.

Tarble just sounds idiotic, i dont like it.

Bulma and Trunks are just odd names, but Bra? theres no misinterpreting that, all i think about is bras when i hear her name, its stupid.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
i knew all of that already, doesnt stop it from being a stupid name.

Goku and Vegeta sound cool, even if the meaning/origin of the name is stupid.

Tarble just sounds idiotic, i dont like it.

Bulma and Trunks are just odd names, but Bra? theres no misinterpreting that, all i think about is bras when i hear her name, its stupid.

The characters related to Bulma all have name puns based on clothing.

Bra- Bra
Bulma- Bloomers (gym shorts worn by women)
Dr. Briefs - Briefs/men's underwear.
Trunks - trunks.

Xzeon

Banned
The characters related to Bulma all have name puns based on clothing.

Bra- Bra
Bulma- Bloomers (gym shorts worn by women)
Dr. Briefs - Briefs/men's underwear.
Trunks - trunks.

i.... i know.

i know this.

thats not the point.

no one knows what the fuck Bulma really means, and i think Trunks sounds like a cool name regardless if its a pun.

pun or not, Bra is a lame name and i think its dumb, even if it fits with the theme of the rest of the names.

just like Goku sounds cool. nobody knows what Goku really means, its just a cool name.

doesnt matter what Tarble is supposed to mean or where it came from, it just SOUNDS stupid, its a bad name.

i would laugh in Tarbles face for having a terrible name.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
i.... i know.

i know this.

thats not the point.

no one knows what the fuck Bulma really means, and i think Trunks sounds like a cool name regardless if its a pun.

pun or not, Bra is a lame name and i think its dumb, even if it fits with the theme of the rest of the names.

just like Goku sounds cool. nobody knows what Goku really means, its just a cool name.

doesnt matter what Tarble is supposed to mean or where it came from, it just SOUNDS stupid, its a bad name.

i would laugh in Tarbles face for having a terrible name.

and Chi Chi is slang for breasts.

and "Buu" is the sound a fart makes.

Xzeon

Banned
and Chi Chi is slang for breasts.

and "Buu" is the sound a fart makes.

i know but i dont think about that when i hear their names.

Buu is a decent name, i always thought Chi Chi was another stupid name though.

im not going off the true meaning of the names, im just going off of face value and how they sound.

Goku sounds cool, Tarble sounds like the name of a 3 legged cat.

Wiseblade

i know but i dont think about that when i hear their names.

Buu is a decent name, i always thought Chi Chi was another stupid name though.

im not going off the true meaning of the names, im just going off of face value and how they sound.

Goku sounds cool, Tarble sounds like the name of a 3 legged cat.

Well, of course you don't. What do you think kids in Japan were thinking when they heard/read those names?

Xzeon

Banned
Well, of course you don't. What do you think kids in Japan were thinking when they heard/read those names?

prolly laughing like crazy.

but im murrican so im immune to all this Japanese comedy.

That wasn't the intended pun.

Bibiddi Babiddi Boo

oh wait, oh man i totally forgot about that.

i remember figuring that out way back in the day.

thats a direct reference to Cinderella right?

Takao

Banned
There are plenty of puns in Dragon Ball:

Freeza, King Cold, Cooler, and Chilled.

Piccolo, Tambourine, Piano, Drum, and Cymbal for another.

Xzeon

Banned
There are plenty of puns in Dragon Ball:

Freeza, King Cold, Cooler, and Chilled.

Piccolo, Tambourine, Piano, Drum, and Cymbal for another.

wat.

never heard of these ones.

these are real characters?

again, i dont even think of the instrument when i hear Piccolos name, its just a cool name to me.

jaxword

wat.

never heard of these ones.

these are real characters?

again, i dont even think of the instrument when i hear Piccolos name, its just a cool name to me.

Appule
Cui
Abo Kado
Dodoria

Apples, wikis, avocados, durian (in Japanese).

Xzeon

Banned
You should watch Dragon Ball for the names related to piccolo.

Chilled is..... well, watch Episode of Bardock. (Preferably the Team Four Star version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0JME7eodTk)

what the fuck is this.

is all that shit for real?

the time travel shit and all that?

so... Gokus dad was actually the first Super Saiyan and he fought a midget Frieza named Chilled.

ok, sure, whatever, why not.

so my new bad names list would be

1. Tarble
2. Bra
3. Chilled

jaxword

what the fuck is this.

is all that shit for real?

the time travel shit and all that?

so... Gokus dad was actually the first Super Saiyan and he fought a midget Frieza named Chilled.

It's a spinoff. It doesn't really impact any continuity. You can consider it canon or ignore it and either way the outcome is the same.

Xzeon

Banned
Appule
Cui
Abo Kado
Dodoria

Apples, wikis, avocados, durian (in Japanese).

Don't forget, the Ginyu Force is based off of dairy products (though I have no idea what Ginyu himself is supposed to be).

to the Japanese these are prolly all funny or clever.

but to me their just names. all those names just sound like wacky cartoon alien names so it doesnt really bother me.

i was not aware though that literally every single name in the show was themed puns, i thought it was just Bulmas family, Friezas family and the Z fighters.

jaxword

i was not aware though that literally every single name in the show was themed puns, i thought it was just Bulmas family, Friezas family and the Z fighters.

lIRCDBE.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't think there's a single name that isn't a pun or a reference to an existing thing in this manga.

I never understood why they call him "Tien" in the English dubs, but his real name Tenshinhan is a dish. Chaozu = Jiaozi (Chinese), a.k.a. gyouza in Japanese, which also are a dumpling-like dish. Yamcha is a kind of tea. Oolong is Oolong tea.

Son Gokuu is just the Japanese reading for Sun Wukong, the monkey king and main protagonist of the Journey to the West (if that's what it's called in English), Son Gohan is a pun in the sense that "gohan" means rice (or meal) in Japanese, Goten is a pun because "ten" means "heavens", whereas "kuu" in "Gokuu" means "air". Dr. Gero I think is 'gero' as in "belch/throw up" in Japanese.

Some of the names I have no idea though. Yamcha's flying pet cat is called "Puaru" in Japanese, but I don't know what it's supposed to reference. Same for Bardock, Krillin/Kuririn, and a whole bunch of other ones.

I don't think there's a single name that isn't a pun or a reference to an existing thing in this manga.

I never understood why they call him "Tien" in the English dubs, but his real name Tenshinhan is a dish. Chaozu = Jiaozi (Chinese), a.k.a. gyouza in Japanese, which also are a dumpling-like dish. Yamcha is a kind of tea. Oolong is Oolong tea.

Son Gokuu is just the Japanese reading for Sun Wukong, the monkey king and main protagonist of the Journey to the West (if that's what it's called in English), Son Gohan is a pun in the sense that "gohan" means rice (or meal) in Japanese, Goten is a pun because "ten" means "heavens", whereas "kuu" in "Gokuu" means "air". Dr. Gero I think is 'gero' as in "belch/throw up" in Japanese.

Some of the names I have no idea though. Yamcha's flying pet cat is called "Puaru" in Japanese, but I don't know what it's supposed to reference. Same for Bardock, Krillin/Kuririn, and a whole bunch of other ones.

Bardock is 'Burdock', a Japanese root vegetable.

Krillin, or originally 'Kuririn'. Kuri is a chestnut, and I've heard that it was combined with Shaolin, as in Shaolin monk, to get the 'lin' part in there. Since you can interchange the 'L' and 'R' that is 'Kuririn'.

Puar is a chinese tea pun.

Takao

Banned
The name puns in Dragon Ball shouldn't be too surprising. Before this series Toriyama's major work was Dr. Slump, an adventure comedy.

Not so well known fact, the first Dr. Slump anime had the best audience shares of any animated show based on a JUMP comic in Japan. Dragon Ball was #4.

Yep. I don't know how they explain Tarble being like that. They said Goku almost died from that head injury. So what the hell happened to Tarble?

Nothing to see here people. Just ignore this turd of a character. Same thing goes for Chilled.

Chi Chi and Mr Satan are the worst DBZ characters.

Stupid educational mama vs cowardly trash who takes credit for everything.

God I wanted Goku to slap a bitch during the Cell saga

jaxword

Yep. I don't know how they explain Tarble being like that. They said Goku almost died from that head injury. So what the hell happened to Tarble?

Nothing to see here people. Just ignore this turd of a character. Same thing goes for Chilled.

The thing about Tarble is that it actually makes sense that OTHER Saiyans would be off-planet other than just Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta.

Given Vegeta's attitude towards his own father, and general Saiyan callousness, it's not really a stretch for him to think his useless younger brother who he hasn't seen in 30 years is dead.

Chi Chi and Mr Satan are the worst DBZ characters.

Stupid educational mama vs cowardly trash who takes credit for everything.

God I wanted Goku to slap a bitch during the Cell saga

The sad thing about Chichi is she isn't really that bad in the manga. She has her moments yes but the anime really turned that stuff up a few notches.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder how far did Toriyama think of Piccolo. Originally he was a demon but then became an alien.

Wiseblade

I've been thinking... It's kind of impressive how long Toriyama managed to Keep Dragonballs central to the plot. They play a significant role in pretty much every arc right up until the Cell Saga, where they get relegated to a reset button.

Tizoc

That wasn't the intended pun.

Bibiddi Babiddi Boo

Yup, Buu is 'Boo' in Japan.

In regards to Mr. Satan:
That's his stage name, his real name is Mark, which in Japanese could be pronounced as 'Maaku'.
Maaku can be anagram for Akuma, the japanese word for demon or devil.

Top Bottom