• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey, isn't it a rule that if the "evil" side of the guardian/kami is killed the good side dies too right? Hence Kami vanishing when Piccolo dies. So how come the Namek guardian didn't die when Lord Slug was killed

Wiseblade

Hey, isn't it a rule that if the "evil" side of the guardian/kami is killed the good side dies too right? Hence Kami vanishing when Piccolo dies. So how come the Namek guardian didn't die when Lord Slug was killed

1) Because he's a silly movie villain, that's why.

2) Was it ever confirmed that he was supposed to be Guru's evil side? I thought that was just something people speculated on because Slug is an obvious amalgamation/expy of Demon King Piccolo/Jr.

Takao

Banned
Any of you guys watch this last night?

8628254664_24cfa17a87_b.jpg

The Dragon Ball cast were severely nerfed, but it was a fun enough crossover. Seems Toei ran out of money in the second half, as it ends in still frames, lol.

jaxword

1) Because he's a silly movie villain, that's why.

2) Was it ever confirmed that he was supposed to be Guru's evil side? I thought that was just something people speculated on because Slug is an obvious amalgamation/expy of Demon King Piccolo/Jr.

Hahaha no, Dragonball Abridged is overtaking real continuity.

TCKaos

Well, one because none of the movies are regarded as being in the same continuity as the series (filler and GT makes it so that Garlic Junior and Cooler's Revenge are canon to the anime's continuity, but none of the others are required).

Two, Lord Slug was a Super Namek that was banished from Namek, not the evil half of Guru or any other gods/kami/guardians. That was in TeamFourStar's continuity.

So, my friends have been blowing up my wall about 200 new episodes of a DB series. Just to confirm, there isn't anything in the works, and were probably duped by Dragon Ball Hoshi (or something similar), correct?

Wiseblade

So, my friends have been blowing up my wall about 200 new episodes of a DB series. Just to confirm, there isn't anything in the works, and were probably duped by Dragon Ball Hoshi (or something similar), correct?

Probably just decieved by Hoshi or Absalon. If anything really gets announced, you'll see it on the front page.

Battle of Gods is looking like it'll be success Toei was hoping for, so expect that to become a full franchise of films.

I was rewatching Dragoball and I noticed that the English dub changed some of Bulma's lines whenever she took a liking towards Goku. For example, in Japanese, she says that Goku really became cool. In the English dub that line was changed to say Yamcha's pony tail looks good.

wtf is the point of that

Goku should have smanged that shit. Chichi ruined that shit though.

MikeMyers

I was rewatching Dragoball and I noticed that the English dub changed some of Bulma's lines whenever she took a liking towards Goku. For example, in Japanese, she says that Goku really became cool. In the English dub that line was changed to say Yamcha's pony tail looks good.

wtf is the point of that

I'm watching Episode 44 dubbed where Goku goes to Bulma's house for the first time. Bulma says to Goku she will take him upstairs to get the Radar fixed, and Dr. Briefs trolls her by saying "NO SMOOCHING" haha.

wtf is the point of that

Yup.

Goku could've easily smashed that. EASILY.

Could someone enlighten me as to what Hoshi and Abalon(sp?) is? I've seen ti plastered all over youtube lately.

The actual footage is probably from Dragon Ball Heroes (an arcade/card game in Japan) adverts, the whole Hosi/Abalon business is basically just a continuation of the AF phenomenon of people wanting more Dragon Ball so much that they make it up themselves to trick people.

The actual footage is probably from Dragon Ball Heroes (an arcade/card game in Japan) adverts, the whole Hosi/Abalon business is basically just a continuation of the AF phenomenon of people wanting more Dragon Ball so much that they make it up themselves to trick people.

Ah okay. I was watching this trailer called Dragon Ball Hoshi and thought to myself..this cant be real...

I've just watched the last episode of Dragonball. Man, after watching DBZ and GT so many times, I can't beleive I hadn't watched DB yet. It's the best part of the series in my opinion. It had great battles, some enjoyable storylines and humor too. The way that kid Trunks and Goten turned SSJ really pissed me off because they made SSJ a joke. Goku junior's SSJ transformation was also laughable. Goku endured a lot more during Dragonball. By late DBZ/Post DBZ standards, DB had lots of moments in which Goku should have turned SSJ.
Still, Dragonball is awesome. I can totally understand why they went with small Goku and dragonball hunting in GT. But Pan, Trunks and Goku wasn't as funny/ cool as kid Goku, Bulma and Oolong.

Can't beleive how different Z is from DB. People dislike GT for the power inconsistencies after Z, but it appears that the characters are weaker in Z compared to DB. It's sad how Goku went down against Raditz after that performance against Piccolo at the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament.

Anywho, DB is awesome.

jaxword

Can't beleive how different Z is from DB. People dislike GT for the power inconsistencies after Z, but it appears that the characters are weaker in Z compared to DB. It's sad how Goku went down against Raditz after that performance against Piccolo at the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament.

Well, think of it like this: Goku's training was through Earth's various masters and mystics. Piccolo was about the same, an alien who grew on Earth and honed his powers through Earth's limitations. Neither ever left the planet.

Raditz was trained from birth with Freeza's intergalactic methods and tech. Earth's masters are good, but logically several planets' worth of resources is going to make a stronger warrior.

Also note that Goku was a weaker Saiyin and that's why he was sent to the "weak" planet Earth in the first place.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah, Z is really inconsistent. Saiyan Saga Vegeta can apparently blow up planets with a Galic Gun, but when Majin Vegeta literally blows his ENTIRE BODY it barely puts a crater on Earth.

I recently rewatched the end of Dragon Ball, and I was surprised at how enormous Piccolo's explosion attack was. Looks like an atomic bomb... all at a power level of 300!

MikeMyers

I recently rewatched the end of Dragon Ball, and I was surprised at how enormous Piccolo's explosion attack was. Looks like an atomic bomb... all at a power level of 300!

Yeah, Goku vs Piccolo is really Goku's golden moment (except for maybe the Frieza battle). Just two guys going at it in an even 1-1 battle, and it concludes with Goku finally earning the title of being the Worlds Strongest & he gets married in the end.

jaxword

Yeah, Z is really inconsistent. Saiyan Saga Vegeta can apparently blow up planets with a Galic Gun, but when Majin Vegeta literally blows his ENTIRE BODY it barely puts a crater on Earth.

While I agree Z's powers were all over the place, this one is consistent: he wanted to isolate the blast radius to just kill Buu; after all, he was doing this to protect his wife and son. Going full-planet mode would've killed them and defeated the purpose.

It's the same reason why Goku can't use the Kamehameha from certain angles; he'd blow up Earth. This is said a few times.

Dereck

While I agree Z's powers were all over the place, this one is consistent: he wanted to isolate the blast radius to just kill Buu; after all, he was doing this to protect his wife and son. Going full-planet mode would've killed them and defeated the purpose.

It's the same reason why Goku can't use the Kamehameha from certain angles; he'd blow up Earth. This is said a few times.
jaxword droppin' knowledge once again.

MikeMyers

Speaking of which, do you think #16's explosion would have actually killed Cell?

My favourite fights from the series:

Goku Vs Jackie Chun
Yamcha Vs The Invisible Man
Goku Vs Tien
Goku Vs Piccolo
Goku & Piccolo Vs Raditz
Goku, Gohan, Kuririn, & Yajirobe Vs Vegeta
Vegeta Vs Zarbon II
Vegeta Vs Recoome
Goku Vs Frieza
Vegeta Vs 18
Piccolo Vs 19
Goku Vs Cell (anime-only)
Goten Vs Trunks
Goku Vs Majin Vegeta (anime-only)
Majin Vegeta Vs Goku
SSJ1 Gotenks Vs Super Buu
Vegetto Vs Super Buu

Yeah, Goku vs Piccolo is really Goku's golden moment (except for maybe the Frieza battle). Just two guys going at it in an even 1-1 battle, and it concludes with Goku finally earning the title of being the Worlds Strongest & he gets married in the end.

I wouldn't call the Goku vs. Piccolo match even. It seemed to me like Goku was holding back/ reacting to Piccolo's attacks. Goku even knocked Piccolo out with a fucked up knee and no arms to use.

Well, think of it like this: Goku's training was through Earth's various masters and mystics. Piccolo was about the same, an alien who grew on Earth and honed his powers through Earth's limitations. Neither ever left the planet.

Raditz was trained from birth with Freeza's intergalactic methods and tech. Earth's masters are good, but logically several planets' worth of resources is going to make a stronger warrior.

Also note that Goku was a weaker Saiyin and that's why he was sent to the "weak" planet Earth in the first place.

I didn't mean that. I meant that Goku hardly put up a fight. No afterimage, no superspeed nothing. Maybe the show wanted it to make Goku look weak in order to look Raditz that much more powerful.

By the way, in one of the scenes in GT in which the dimensions collide (dead and living), where Nappa meets Vegeta again, it would have been nice to have seen Raditz too. Quite a bummer that Raditz' role after his death was nonexistant. Goku could have at least met him in otherworld or something. King Yamma confirmed he was in otherworld.

As for power incosistensies in energy attacks, I think that the techniques of energy attacks became fore efficient in Z. Piccolo's nuke against Goku, while leaving a huge explosion, would harly dent an average Z fighter in Z, but an average ki attack from someone from Z would severely injure somefrom from DB, while not leaving a big explosion.

One last thing that bothered me in Z is how Gotenks can go SSJ3 after 'looking' at how Goku went SSJ3.

MikeMyers

I wouldn't call the Goku vs. Piccolo match even. It seemed to me like Goku was holding back/ reacting to Piccolo's attacks. Goku even knocked Piccolo out with a fucked up knee and no arms to use.

I didn't mean that. I meant that Goku hardly put up a fight. No afterimage, no superspeed nothing. Maybe the show wanted it to make Goku look weak in order to look Raditz that much more powerful.

Well it was still a struggle match, I remember Piccolo having the advantage at times. Kami even stood in at one point of the fight.

Well Goku was smart enough to do the Tail Grab on Raditz, but got emotionally manipulated. Same thing happened with Majin Vegeta.

jaxword

Speaking of which, do you think #16's explosion would have actually killed Cell?

It COULD have if it'd managed to vaporize him completely, but 16 was designed to take out a weaker Goku, thus Cell probably could have resisted complete destruction by that form.

By the way, in one of the scenes in GT in which the dimensions collide (dead and living), where Nappa meets Vegeta again, it would have been nice to have seen Raditz too. Quite a bummer that Raditz' role after his death was nonexistant. Goku could have at least met him in otherworld or something. King Yamma confirmed he was in otherworld.

One last thing that bothered me in Z is how Gotenks can go SSJ3 after 'looking' at how Goku went SSJ3.

The idea behind every fight in DBZ is that the newest person is a threat because they are stronger/faster than the previous enemy. So Raditz was simply faster than Goku so the superspeed wasn't relevant--this is pointed out when someone NOT trained in superspeed, Gohan, can't see the fight with the Saibaman and Yamcha later on. And the Saibaman is about as strong as Raditz.

It is a shame that Raditz's role was nonexistent after that point, yeah. Toriyama wasn't one for writing drama.

Gotenks was a joke character anyways, the most powerful fighter is an idiotic kid. Going back to DB days with that writing.

MikeMyers

It COULD have if it'd managed to vaporize him completely, but 16 was designed to take out a weaker Goku, thus Cell probably could have resisted complete destruction by that form.
Gero thoughts YAMCHA was Goku, so 16's explosion was probably intended for someone on Yamcha's level...at the least.

Gotenks was a joke character anyways, the most powerful fighter is an idiotic kid. Going back to DB days with that writing.

I like the Gotenks Vs Super Buu RoSaT match, really funny. I thought the Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack was really creative.

The marriage brought down Goku's golden moment. Chichi is obsessed about Goku and Goku just marries her for the fuck of it, and once they have a kid, Chichi doesn't give 1 fuck about Goku.

No wonder he's always leaving her.

Broach

Banned
The marriage brought down Goku's golden moment. Chichi is obsessed about Goku and Goku just marries her for the fuck of it, and once they have a kid, Chichi doesn't give 1 fuck about Goku.

No wonder he's always leaving her.

I love how primal Dragon Ball is with it's marriages and relationships. Goku and Vegeta never make a comment about any affection they might have towards their wifes. They are Saiyans I guess, monkeys at heart

jaxword

I love how primal Dragon Ball is with it's marriages and relationships. Goku and Vegeta never make a comment about any affection they might have towards their wifes. They are Saiyans I guess, monkeys at heart

That's actually a plot point--note how disgusted Trunks is when he learns Vegeta is this coldhearted bastard who barely cares about Bulma.

Gohan too, look at how mad he gets over Videl.

So yeah, Saiyans are pretty much the savages of the universe, but when blended with human emotions they become very, very different.

Well, look at the way Chichi is. Every character gets fed up with how little she cares for Goku.

With how little she cares for Goku? Mate, Goku is the one who leaves his family at the end of each arc.

Well during the Saiyan saga, Goku had done no such thing. He didn't train Gohan, he hadn't visited his friends in a long time, etc... Yet, she still gave no fucks about him. So this was before Goku left. After the Saiyan saga Yajirobe and Krillen specifically were kind of annoyed that Chichi did not seem to care for Goku at all. At one point Yajirobe asked Goku if he could hit her because of her attitude towards Goku. This was edited in the English dub though.

and she was massively excited for his one day return in the Buu arc.

Goku not keeping in touch with his friends isn't Chichis fault, he was doing that before marriage too.

I never said it was her fault. I only mentioned it to show that Goku wasn't leaving her back then like he did in the later arcs. Chicha's complete 180 is annoying. From being a fighter and realizing how much fighting did for her and everyone else to hating it. From being obsessed with Goku to not giving a fuck.

jaxword

I never said it was her fault. I only mentioned it to show that Goku wasn't leaving her back then like he did in the later arcs. Chicha's complete 180 is annoying. From being a fighter and realizing how much fighting did for her and everyone else to hating it. From being obsessed with Goku to not giving a fuck.

I suspect Toriyama was drawing from either his own personal wife experience or that of his friends. Once they have the kid...

It WAS, after all, Japan in the 80s. Sexual politics and family dynamics have always been weird in Japan and probably worse back then.

Broach

Banned

That's a thing for Dragon Ball in general. I guess in general during the many time skips, it explains itself with "people change" or something.

I suspect Toriyama was drawing from either his own personal wife experience or that of his friends. Once they have the kid...

It WAS, after all, Japan in the 80s. Sexual politics and family dynamics have always been weird in Japan and probably worse back then.

It doubt it's a cultural thing...I think it represent a stereotype of people living in the countryside.

Top Bottom