• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

MikeMyers

Goku's character is unique that way: he's the psychopathic blood knight that constantly seeks out stronger enemies to the point where it's self-destructive. He also just happens to be a nice guy as well. He also has a bit of a child-like naivety about how inherently good people are (they're not).

He's basically Vegeta in the "Saiyan must have good fight" but the difference is that Goku likes challenges for fun, where as Vegeta likes it for ego. Hence his speech about GOku in the Kid Buu arc.

He didn't have a chance to let Cell live. He died because Cell was going to blow himself and Earth up. Besides, he was already beaten by Gohan. So Gohan would have been the challenge Goku would seek.

Goku was telling Gohan to kill Cell straight away, but Gohan refused.

I don't blame Goku though, Cell was created for the sole purpose of killing Goku, I'd want his ass dead too. The Androids were made for this purpose too, but they are part human, and have some humanity to them.

He's basically Vegeta in the "Saiyan must have good fight" but the difference is that Goku likes challenges for fun, where as Vegeta likes it for ego. Hence his speech about GOku in the Kid Buu arc.

Goku was telling Gohan to kill Cell straight away, but Gohan refused.

Exactly. Gohan was clearly better than Cell. There would be no point in saving Cell because Cell wouldn't be Goku's best challenge.

Branson

So, considering the Dragon Boxes are super expensive now and the bricks are the easiest way to see the series again, would it be a waste of money to get the rest of the bricks? I have season 1-2 since I got them when they were released. Wish I did the same for the dragon boxes :(.

Malajax

So, considering the Dragon Boxes are super expensive now and the bricks are the easiest way to see the series again, would it be a waste of money to get the rest of the bricks? I have season 1-2 since I got them when they were released. Wish I did the same for the dragon boxes :(.

If you want to own the series legally, yeah, I'd go for the bricks. They're around $20 each on Amazon, so it wouldn't be too expensive.

I bet that it'll get more blu ray releases eventually, either by Funimation or Toei. It was just too soon for the market to handle it now.

Omni

I have a question about the movies... how do they fit in? I was watching movie 12 I think it was, and both Vegeta and Goku were dead but it was after Buu's saga and yet Trunks and Goten were still kids.

Malajax

Holy shit. Is this real? I just bought it nonetheless:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002Y0KR7A/

Nice going! Good luck with the rest of them if you're going this route.

I have a question about the movies... how do they fit in? I was watching movie 12 I think it was, and both Vegeta and Goku were dead but it was after Buu's saga and yet Trunks and Goten were still kids.

They don't fit in. If anything, you could say that they fit in a movie only continuity, but you'd still find a bunch of contradictions. Just look at them as fun side stories, since that's what they are to begin with.

jaxword

They don't fit in. Think of them as "What if" stories, i.e. What if they'd manage to beat the Androids, or what if they managed to keep Buu from waking up, etc.

A few of the movies can fit, i.e. Bojack, but otherwise they're just alternate takes on what happened in canon.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
eK5nDbT.gif

Where is this from

Takao

Banned
Anyone know if the Japanese sound is cleaned up in dvd releases of dragon ball?

The show was recorded in Mono so there's not a whole tonne that can be done. I believe the Dragon Boxes did do some clean up, but I don't have the money to buy a Japanese Dragon Box, lol.

MikeMyers

Are the GT Green Boxes any decent (video wise, not the actual anime itself)? Someone offered me the whole set for cheap, and I'm tempted to get it since its cheap.

Branson

Are the GT Green Boxes any decent (video wise, not the actual anime itself)? Someone offered me the whole set for cheap, and I'm tempted to get it since its cheap.

Yeah they are fine. I have the complete season and am going through it now. Just..be patient. It takes a while to get decent.

Oke, something is bothering me. Saiyans need blutz waves to transform to great ape, how did a hologram of the moon from Goku's space pod make Gohan transform? It doesn't make sense. Something else, in the goku vs vegeta battle (first), when vegeta uses the artificial moon technique, I could have sworn that in Ocean dub he told Goku that that technique was invented by Goku's father. In the remastered version he didn't. That quite an interesting detail to leave out like that :/

How many of you guys have seen dragon ball evolution?

I have, and I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. It's not a particularly good movie, nor a very accurate representation of the source material, but it's not the worst movie I've seen either, it was pretty cheap, and it's not like it set off a kill switch that destroyed my Dragon Boxes or anything so I find it hard to have any real negative feelings towards it.

Oke, something is bothering me. Saiyans need blutz waves to transform to great ape, how did a hologram of the moon from Goku's space pod make Gohan transform? It doesn't make sense. Something else, in the goku vs vegeta battle (first), when vegeta uses the artificial moon technique, I could have sworn that in Ocean dub he told Goku that that technique was invented by Goku's father. In the remastered version he didn't. That quite an interesting detail to leave out like that :/

The first point is anime-only material created to pad the series out so it didn't catch up to the comic and therefore had the requisite zero amount of "does this make sense?" scrutiny applied to it.

The second point was an english version creation. Vegeta never mentioned Goku's father inventing the fake moon in the original, so I guess they maybe rewrote the line for the reworked Ultimate Uncut redub?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

If it is, this means Bardock mated with some weird jelly alien

FYC

Banned
Is Dragonball Revenge of Piccolo on Wii any good? For some reason my EB Games has a ton of copies laying around dirt cheap.

Branson

Holy Shit. Got my dragon boxes in the mail from amazon today. Still waiting on 2-4-6 in the mail but damn. For DVDs these look amazing. Totally worth the money.

Nice! Yeah I always lied the battle of Goku vs Frieza, a bit too much filler though.

Mybe you could make some PGSM Gifs in the future!

I just love how spectacular that scene from the gif looks. He's all "YOU FOOL!" in HD and omg you just pissed off the wrong person. xD

Yeah, the tool is super easy to use, I'll probably make lots of new stuff. :D

Branson

Wow. The dub is really good on Kai. Id say that's the best thing it has going for it.

Speaking of, my dragon boxes are mostly here. Just waiting on box 2. It's amazing watching the series through these. Even though I grew up watching it on toonami when it first aired, the Japanese music just fits so much better to me. One thing I noticed is that it actually stops. Lol. Unlike BFs soundtrack, as it just keeps on going and going. Which was a weird thing to notice at first. The video on it is also amazing. Can't wait to get past the Saiyan arc since I've seen it the most. Even back when I watched it on toonami, I felt the bf soundtrack, while good, felt a tad out of place.

Daingurse

Wow. The dub is really good on Kai. Id say that's the best thing it has going for it.

Speaking of, my dragon boxes are mostly here. Just waiting on box 2. It's amazing watching the series through these. Even though I grew up watching it on toonami when it first aired, the Japanese music just fits so much better to me. One thing I noticed is that it actually stops. Lol. Unlike BFs soundtrack, as it just keeps on going and going. Which was a weird thing to notice at first. The video on it is also amazing. Can't wait to get past the Saiyan arc since I've seen it the most. Even back when I watched it on toonami, I felt the bf soundtrack, while good, felt a tad out of place.

Wish I had Dragon Boxes! I love Ocean for the Saiyan saga and the first half of Namek. I love Brian Drummond's evil raspy Vegeta. But man Vegeta vs Goku, dat beam struggle, love it. "Dodge this next attack if you can!"

Goku vs Vegeta Ocean Dub, best beam struggle I've ever seen.

It's probably nostalgia, but I really don't dig the original Japanese audio. I need that Bruce Falcouner music to hype me up, and

Branson

Wish I had Dragon Boxes! I love Ocean for the Saiyan saga and the first half of Namek. I love Brian Drummond's evil raspy Vegeta. But man Vegeta vs Goku, dat beam struggle, love it. "Dodge this next attack if you can!"

Goku vs Vegeta Ocean Dub, best beam struggle I've ever seen.

It's probably nostalgia, but I really don't dig the original Japanese audio. I need that Bruce Falcouner music to hype me up, and

Falcouner did some good tracks. The Dragon Boxes dont have the Falcouner BGM so I've learned to appreciate the original Japanese BGM like it was intended. I got them over the orange bricks because of the quality of the video. It really is quite awesome. Id take quality video over the BGM any day. I just want it to be in english since I dont care for the Japanese voices. I understand the Nostalgia though. Its refreshing to hear it with the original soundtrack, also.

CrazyDude

I am watching the original dragon ball the first time. I find it funny how bulma complains about wearing the bunny dress, but willingly keeps on the bunny ears.

Canon

Banned
Falcouner did some good tracks. The Dragon Boxes dont have the Falcouner BGM so I've learned to appreciate the original Japanese BGM like it was intended. I got them over the orange bricks because of the quality of the video. It really is quite awesome. Id take quality video over the BGM any day. I just want it to be in english since I dont care for the Japanese voices. I understand the Nostalgia though. Its refreshing to hear it with the original soundtrack, also.
See, I'm the opposite. I'll take the crappy video of the orange bricks just to have the American soundtrack. It really drastically changes the feel of the show. Yes, the music gets annoying a lot, but like somebody else mentioned it gets you hyped. The Japanese music does not.

Top Bottom