• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Anth0ny

Jesus between the Ocean dub DVD set and the Battle of Gods limited edition blu ray am I really about to spend $200 on Dragon Ball stuff

yes, yes I am

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Pack in one of those and you will have sold gangbusters

atS5Bv7.jpg

My uncle has the vhs boxes for every single episode. I only managed to complete the Cell games saga and the artwork on the sides of the boxes have Cell charging a kamehameha. I have other sagas, but not completed. The uncut versions generally have better artwork. I wish I had them all, but I was only a kid when they were out and didn't have money.

MikeMyers

My uncle has the vhs boxes for every single episode. I only managed to complete the Cell games saga and the artwork on the sides of the boxes have Cell charging a kamehameha. I have other sagas, but not completed. The uncut versions generally have better artwork. I wish I had them all, but I was only a kid when they were out and didn't have money.

They were expensive as fuck.

MikeMyers

The Frieza saga has probably the best artwork.

I think it was cheaper if you bought it as a set, but no one wanted to do that because you would have to wait a while to see the episodes. As soon as one came out, I would buy it.

Then again, when you're like 7, everything seems expensive.

I own Z through the Dragon Box's, GT Green Bricks, and I almost have all the original DB manga. I also own Kai version of Goku vs Frieza because the Z version is way too fucking long. Still need to collect the films.

Balboa

I finished watching Kai a few weeks back and want to carry on by watching the DVD's, from what I understand Kai will be skipping over what is season 7 of the DVD sets and straight to 8 is that right?
Am I really not going to miss anything worthwhile if I do that?

I finished watching Kai a few weeks back and want to carry on by watching the DVD's, from what I understand Kai will be skipping over what is season 7 of the DVD sets and straight to 8 is that right?
Am I really not going to miss anything worthwhile if I do that?

We don't actually know the specifics of how Z Kai is going to be handled in terms of episodes used/skipped from that point on.

Looking at what comprises the season 7 set, it's possible they'll skip the first five episodes because they're just a little side adventure with Goku taking part in a tournament in the afterlife and so can be cut out without affecting the story. The 5 after it establish the characters after the time skip and introduce Videl, Goten and kid Trunks and feature some stuff that could be compressed but not entirely passed over. The rest of it after that is the start of the meat of that story arc so it won't be skipped entirely.

In terms of the stuff they might skip being worthwhile? Maybe. It's some fun action that's light hearted and a bit more in line with the tournaments from Dragon Ball in terms of tone. A decent watch but nothing amazing/important.

MikeMyers

#MoreProofGohanWasABitch

Gohan was my favourite as a kid, but now that I went through the series again I can't stand him. He was alright during the Saiyaman arc, but Mystic was the cheapest shit ever.

It's kinda funny when you think about it....the Cell Games/Buu arc didn't really happen. The original unaltered timeline actually ends when Trunks kills Imperfect Cell.

Meh, Gohan's reluctance to fight is what makes him interesting. In a series full of characters that selfishly give their enemies power ups just to make the battle against them more exciting, a character who has the power in him but really only fights when he has to stands out.

You also have to remember that he's, like, 4 when Raditz turns up and 9-ish in the Cell arc. Saiyaman-era is best era and plays most to Toriyama's strengths as a storyteller. I'd regularly buy a Saiyaman comic by him.

It's kinda funny when you think about it....the Cell Games/Buu arc didn't really happen. The original unaltered timeline actually ends when Trunks kills Imperfect Cell.

That's not how time travel works in DBZ, though.

MikeMyers

I agree Saiyaman was entertaining, and the story with Videl was good too. It's just that I was a big Mystic Gohan fanboy back in the day, but now that I rewatch I view the whole thing as the cheapest gimmick ever.

By the way, I always thought most of the character's being selfish assholes was part of the appeal. This was literally the first franchise I saw that where the protagonist seemed more interested in having a good fight instead of SAVING DA WORLD.

Edit: Although the dub did try to make Goku ALLY TO GOOD, ENEMY TO YOU.

But the Trunks timeline IS the original timeline, is it not?

The manga follows the timeline that was interrupted by Trunks and Goku doesnt die of the virus, and Cell came from a different timeline too. Apparently there was a 4th timeline? I remember reading that in some guidebook once.

Yeah, there are timelines where they don't happen, but since DBZ uses splintered timelines in regards to time travel and we follow one where the things that stop them from happening are prevented, it's just a tad off to say "they never really happened".

Off the top of my head, there's the timeline Trunks is from, the timeline Cell is from, and the one we follow. Not sure beyond that.

MikeMyers

Yeah, there are timelines where they don't happen, but since DBZ uses splintered timelines in regards to time travel and we follow one where the things that stop them from happening are prevented, it's just a tad off to say "they never really happened".

Off the top of my head, there's the timeline Trunks is from, the timeline Cell is from, and the one we follow. Not sure beyond that.

Whoops, I was editing and accidentally deleted what you just quoted! Thanks for quoting me there.

And yeah saying "they never really happened" is a stretch, but I think you got what they mean. They happen in a timeline that had been altered by both Trunks and Cell. Of course, that timeline is the "official" one as the manga does follow that, but its just funny to think there's a Universe where Trunks become the worlds savior for killing Cell in his OG form.

Balboa

We don't actually know the specifics of how Z Kai is going to be handled in terms of episodes used/skipped from that point on.

Looking at what comprises the season 7 set, it's possible they'll skip the first five episodes because they're just a little side adventure with Goku taking part in a tournament in the afterlife and so can be cut out without affecting the story. The 5 after it establish the characters after the time skip and introduce Videl, Goten and kid Trunks and feature some stuff that could be compressed but not entirely passed over. The rest of it after that is the start of the meat of that story arc so it won't be skipped entirely.

In terms of the stuff they might skip being worthwhile? Maybe. It's some fun action that's light hearted and a bit more in line with the tournaments from Dragon Ball in terms of tone. A decent watch but nothing amazing/important.
Thanks for the information, I think I'm just going to watch all of it.
I have already watched the first 2 episodes of season 7 and I can't believe an official DVD release can look this bad, seems like the detail in the blacks is lost completely.

TCKaos

The Ocean box set makes 10 concurrent home releases of DragonBall in some form currently available (if we say that the Orange/Blue/Green boxes count as different releases).

MikeMyers

1.) Singles
2.) Ultimate Uncut
3.) Orange Bricks
4.) DragonBox
5.) Blu-Ray
6.) Ocean Dub

You could own the Saiyan arc 6 times LOL.

Desmond

Hey guys.

Anyone know if Manga Entertainment will also be releasing the Blue/Green Bricks in Region 2? Or Kai? I'd rather pick up Kai than the Orange sets. Kudos to them for releasing them finally though :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Krillin is first person shown to use it in the manga, but Vegeta was aware of the side effects of it, so its possible Krillin didn't invent it.

.... look at the fucking attack. It's a disc of ki. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what'll happen if you're hit by it.

Moaradin

Destructo Disk was the coolest ability. Shit was effective too. Enemies much more powerful than Krillin would have been killed if they were hit by it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Destructo Disk was the coolest ability. Shit was effective too. Enemies much more powerful than Krillin would have been killed if they were hit by it.

The only guy to be hit by it head on just shrugged it off (Cell)

jaxword

Yeah, and I don't recall him using it before the fight with nappa.

Sort of just appeared out of nowhere.

He points out he's been training hard for a year or so, so he's developed some new techniques, like his scatter-shot.

Too bad he never used them much after that, though. The scattershot would've been useful against a few enemies.

The only villain he managed to lay a direct disc-cut on was Buu and, of course, that doesn't count.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Was Krilin the original Kienzan/Destructodisc user?

Frieza knows that move and he's much older than Krillin...

Honestly anyone could probably do the Kienzan, it's just another way of concentrating ki after all. The problems are the volatility and risks you create when you use that move, which is probably why you don't see it being done too often.

On another note, I was reading on another forum someone wrote a fucking thesis on power levels. He hypothesized there were two different power levels (True and Battle), so TPL and BPL respectively. He has some math and statistics for proofs and a lot of his reasoning made sense. I thought he was just overanalyzing it since Toriyama isn't that complex of a man, but it was an interesting read.

Anyways here's the link if anyone is interested in giving up 10-15 minutes of their lives to read.

Wiseblade

Frieza knows that move and he's much older than Krillin...

Honestly anyone could probably do the Kienzan, it's just another way of concentrating ki after all. The problems are the volatility and risks you create when you use that move, which is probably why you don't see it being done too often.

On another note, I was reading on another forum someone wrote a fucking thesis on power levels. He hypothesized there were two different power levels (True and Battle), so TPL and BPL respectively. He has some math and statistics for proofs and a lot of his reasoning made sense. I thought he was just overanalyzing it since Toriyama isn't that complex of a man, but it was an interesting read.

Anyways here's the link if anyone is interested in giving up 10-15 minutes of their lives to read.

He's completely missing the point. From the very beginning, scouters were always supposed to be unreliable. Trying to make power levels work is just and exercise in futility.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
He's completely missing the point. From the very beginning, scouters were always supposed to be unreliable. Trying to make power levels work is just and exercise in futility.

He accommodates for that in knowing BPL can increase based on generating energy or through use of some multiplying effect.

it is concerning comparative combat efficency rather than raw destructive power

So Trunks who is purposely making his BPL stay at 5 is technically just as strong as that farmer from episode 1. We all know he's much stronger than that, but at that given time and moment, that's how strong he is.

This all may sound a bit redundant, but I used to be a math major so this kind of stuff is interesting to me.

Edit: This is also apparent when you see the Z-Warriors live their everyday lives. They keep their BPL low so they don't break doors, make potholes in the ground when they walk etc.

Wiseblade

He accommodates for that in knowing BPL can increase based on generating energy or through use of some multiplying effect.

So Trunks who is purposely making his BPL stay at 5 is technically just as strong as that farmer from episode 1. We all know he's much stronger than that, but at that given time and moment, that's how strong he is.

This all may sound a bit redundant, but I used to be a math major so this kind of stuff is interesting to me.

Edit: This is also apparent when you see the Z-Warriors live their everyday lives. They keep their BPL low so they don't break doors, make potholes in the ground when they walk etc.

Honestly, I got bored when he referred to logarithms as "a new way of looking at data".

Top Bottom