• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
So Battle of Gods will be released in Japan on DVD/BD on September 13th. The Limited Editions will include the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour Special:

bog_le_design_update.jpg

LeleSocho

Banned
What an ugly cover, I hate Toriyama's new design he make look every character like teenagers on steroids... i mean look at that Goku :/

Honestly, why is Funimation releasing the 1996 dub?
Because it's awesome!

I actually prefer those voice actors, especially for Piccolo. The background music is pretty good too, and they did a good job of cutting out the boring stuff. Unfortunately, they had to cut out some good stuff too.

The first 3 movies are done really well in that dub, though. Better than FUNimation's attempt, in my opinion.

Cwarrior

Goku looks fine in most of them except for that pink haired one on the box.

tumblr_mfiu1004US1rk2p9po1_500.jpg

Yeah I don't know toriyama goku looks like teen recently, for example in this movie art ticket art he drew with oda, I thought maybe that's not goku or he drew goku young to match luffy or it was drawn by another one of the his clones, secretly.

Takao

Banned
So ... Toriyama's new manga series called Jacco The Galactic Patrolman is related to Dragon Ball. Viz is releasing it simultaneously with Japan via their digital Weekly Shonen JUMP magazine.

Anth0ny

I don't understand... is this Jaco thing a next weekly manga by Toriyama? Or just a once in a while thing?

Cool that it ties in to the Dragon Ball universe.

Malajax

I don't understand... is this Jaco thing a next weekly manga by Toriyama? Or just a once in a while thing?

Cool that it ties in to the Dragon Ball universe.

It's going to be about 10 chapters and may be his last serialized manga on his own. Gonna have to re-read it soon. The first chapter is available for free in Viz's manga starter pack on its website/ Viz app

Edit: Jaco spoilers/speculation
The "projectile leaving a planet of brutal aliens" could potentially be Goku's spaceship or something related. Interested in knowing where the deadly human virus thing could go as well

TCKaos

What an ugly cover, I hate Toriyama's new design he make look every character like teenagers on steroids... i mean look at that Goku :/

Super Saiyan God Goku is purposefully skinny, according to Toriyama. Even if you look at how he appears in DragonBall Heroes he's much skinnier and has much less definition than Goku normally would. This video has multiple Gokus on the field at once so it's easy to compare.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I know Toriyama's art has continued to evolve even after Dragon Ball ended, but regardless I always assumed that stuff like these covers or art from recent games (Budokai, Tenkaichi and the like) were done by other (shitty) artists. Aren't they?

Oh, didn't know this existed.

So I recently finished DB + movies, and am now currently watching Kai. Great stuff so far, although it's very noticeable when there are new scenes, since they lack the slight grain of the older footage. Wish some could've been added for consistency.

MikeMyers

Oh, didn't know this existed.

So I recently finished DB + movies, and am now currently watching Kai. Great stuff so far, although it's very noticeable when there are new scenes, since they lack the slight grain of the older footage. Wish some could've been added for consistency.

That's my main problem with Kai, the editing just looks choppy at times.

Started watching Dragonball for the first time.

Really curious about how they're gonna get from "This turtle is too far from the water let's help him get home!" to "Brb, gonna sneeze this planet in half."

That's my main problem with Kai, the editing just looks choppy at times.
Mm, it does get that way sometimes - there are some parts that they jump to too fast and such. However
Still better than suffering through an eternity of filler and awful pacing.
I am up to ep. 23 so far, which would've been 40 something on the regular ep count, so I'm saving lots of time :D

Really curious about how they're gonna get from "This turtle is too far from the water let's help him get home!" to "Brb, gonna sneeze this planet in half."
Yeah, it's interesting all right. I for one have fun watching Goku get strong enough to beat down someone with enough time and training.

As you'll see, the scale of strength gained in the run of Dragon Ball is much different than the power scale in DBZ by comparison, based on the power levels noted in the beginning of DBZ. Hopefully you'll make it all the way to notice :)

Takao

Banned
When are we gonna get the original Dragon Ball on blu ray?

Whenever Toei releases it. Funimation's not even put out the DB Dragon Boxes and they aren't doing a restoration by themselves for DB.

I know Toriyama's art has continued to evolve even after Dragon Ball ended, but regardless I always assumed that stuff like these covers or art from recent games (Budokai, Tenkaichi and the like) were done by other (shitty) artists. Aren't they?

You'd be correct. It's usually noted if the art is done by Toriyama.

MikeMyers

Whenever Toei releases it. Funimation's not even put out the DB Dragon Boxes and they aren't doing a restoration by themselves for DB.

You'd be correct. It's usually noted if the art is done by Toriyama.

Who did the Blurays for DBZ and Kai, Toei or Funi?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been watching Dragon Ball. Amazed at how good it is all these years later. Some of the voices take a bit of getting used to (Puar is too high pitched the first few episodes and Krillin is awful for about ten episodes) but man, so good. Love the costumes and the hats and some of the backgrounds especially early on are quite beautiful. Also forgot just how perverted some of the scenes are early on.

Man I'm going to miss Launch/Lunch when this season is over. I'm up to the early Demon King stuff.

MikeMyers

Kai was produced in HD and had Japanese Blurays before releasing internationally. Funimation were doing the DBZ Blurays themselves and stopped because it wasn't making them the money back.

But I thought Funi were going to continue the DBZ blurays?

Meh, I have the Dragon Boxes. Good enough for me.

Finally started watching DB Kai Uncut and I must say, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to the original version. Its just so much better.

I do wish they had kept going with the new soundtrack they were doing though. The original Japanese soundtrack isn't my favourite.

Finally started watching DB Kai Uncut and I must say, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to the original version. Its just so much better.

I do wish they had kept going with the new soundtrack they were doing though. The original Japanese soundtrack isn't my favourite.
Yeah, I really liked Kai - I didn't remember much of what I was missing anyway. It moved *fast* in comparison to how I remembered DBZ.

They stopped doing the OST because it turns out the composer (Kenji Yamamoto) did a LOT of lifting from other musical sources, and as a result they kicked him and retroactively rescored the series with the original composer, Shunsuke Kikuchi. For the US, they started like halfway through the disc releases, ad I think they did practically all of them in broadcast.

I finished watching Kai, but since it doesn't have the Buu Saga yet, I tried watching DBZ and I couldn't bring myself to even finish one Ep. Any idea on when Ep 99+ will air?

I finished watching Kai, but since it doesn't have the Buu Saga yet, I tried watching DBZ and I couldn't bring myself to even finish one Ep. Any idea on when Ep 99+ will air?
Not sure - last I read, they were doing voice work in April or so, so it may be a bit of time before they finish that up. Interestingly enough, it's pretty much canceled over in Japan, the Buu saga is primarily being done for the west.

I'm sort of the same way with the watching, since DBZ is much slower in comparison, lol

It's great to see how everyone met, but I really fell in love with it when Krillin finally showed up

Toparaman

Banned

Enjoy; it's a really fun series, and not only do the characters develop and mature as the series goes on, so does the tone of the series (until you get to DBZ, that is). I recommend the Japanese voices, at least for the original DB. The humor comes across better, and Goku's voice is adorable. (But it doesn't change much when he becomes an adult, which is why a lot of people don't like his Japanese voice for DBZ.)

My own personal history with DB:

2007: Watched original DB for the first time, with intention of watching DBZ as well, but got burned out a few episodes into DBZ.

2010: Watched original DB again, with intention of going all the way through DBZ. Got to DBZ, but hated the pacing. Switched to Kai, loved it, but only the first 13 episodes were available in the U.S..

2013: Decided to start right from DBZ this time. I went with the original over Kai, because I wanted the music/tone to be consistent with the original Dragon Ball, and I wanted to see all the gore/violence (some of which is censored badly in Kai). I have a lot more patience for the terrible pacing this time around, probably because this time I didn't have to watch 153 episodes just to get to Z.

I'm currently at episode 82. I'm enjoying the series so far, pacing aside, but I'm pretty sure I would hate the series if I didn't watch DB first. A lot of the enjoyment of the show (for me) comes from seeing the developed characters from the first series get caught up in absolutely insane scenarios. To me, DB is the main story, and DBZ is the super-extended final chapter.

Bio-Frost

I dont really mind the filler in DB(Freeza saga long as fight being the exception) but does Kai cut out all of Gohans training? I felt it really help build his character seeing him go though so much. Damn robot dieing still makes my eyes water up.

MikeMyers

I dont really mind the filler in DB(Freeza saga long as fight being the exception) but does Kai cut out all of Gohans training? I felt it really help build his character seeing him go though so much. Damn robot dieing still makes my eyes water up.

Yeah, Gohan's tranining in the Saiyan arc and the Garlic Jr arc are cut out.

MikeMyers

I thought Gohan's training in Saiyan arc was mostly canon with only a few filler scenes.

Orphans, Mr. Robot, & Gohan going Oozaru are filler.

Well, Gohan goes Oozaru in the manga too, but the anime did it twice where as the manga did it once.

For the most part the majority of the Saiyan arc training in the manga was just Goku going to King Kai's planet and training there.

Top Bottom