• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

The only issue I have with the Gohan's training filler are that the robot and dinosaur episodes feel like pretty much the same thing. Other than that I think it's good stuff and a worthwhile addition to the show, actually spending some time with the character instead of it just being "oh hey here's Goku's son, whatever."

Don't remember the Garlic Jr. stuff being particularly good (don't think I've watched it in over a decade though), but I'm in favour of it just for giving the rest of the cast something to do without focusing on Goku.

MikeMyers

I like the Garlic Jr arc.

I thought the anime-exclusive idea of Vegeta going into space to look for Goku was great, and it seems better than him just sitting on Earth waiting for him.

I also like the revamped looks in that arc, especially Krillin's new outfit. Maron & Yajirobe interaction is hilarious.

The fight kinda drags when watched on its own, but after seeing the arc after Goku vs Frieza, it feels like nothing.

Krillin's lost to a tail, Yajirobe/Yamcha/Tien/Chaotzu didn't know.

Why didn't they go get them?
And Krillin could have at least done something right?
I mean you could say the same thing about Goku, he got punched one time in the gut and then couldn't get up again.

Just seems weird to think that Goku rolled the fuck out and then Krillin was just chilling at the house. I mean what did he do after Goku left, grabbed a beer?

Also how did Goku find Piccolo and why did Piccolo agree to help? I don't remember this.

MikeMyers

Why didn't they go get them?
And Krillin could have at least done something right?
I mean you could say the same thing about Goku, he got punched one time in the gut and then couldn't get up again.

Just seems weird to think that Goku rolled the fuck out and then Krillin was just chilling at the house. I mean what did he do after Goku left, grabbed a beer?

Also how did Goku find Piccolo and why did Piccolo agree to help? I don't remember this.

When Raditz was searching for Goku, he bumped into Piccolo first and had a brief fight with him. Piccolo was bent on revenge, so he followed Raditz and agreed to help Goku.

No one knew where Yamcha or Tien was, and Krillin couldnt be wish backed if he died against Raditz. So Krillin was told to stay behind.

MikeMyers

tumblr_msc5vyfzVw1r9l4bco1_400.jpg

Yamcha knocked out Goku's wife and knocked out Vegeta's wife in bed.

Damn, go Yamcha.

MikeMyers

Yeah, the humans were useless outside of supporting roles. Or if they did win a fight, it'd be against someone minor. Frame of reference:

Krillin Vs. Bacterian - Win
Krillin Vs. Jackie Chun - Loss
Krillin Vs. General Blue - Loss
Krillin Vs. Dracula - Loss
Krillin Vs. Chiaotzu - Win
Krillin Vs. Goku - Loss
Krillin Vs. Tambourine - Loss
Krillin Vs. Piccolo - Loss
Krillin Vs. Raditz - Loss
Krillin Vs. Saibamen - Win
Krillin, Gohan, & Piccolo Vs. Nappa - Loss
Krillin, Gohan, & Yajirobe Vs. Vegeta - Win
Krillin & Gohan Vs. Frieza's Henchman - Win
Krillin & Gohan Vs. Guldo - Loss
Krillin & Gohan Vs. Recoome - Loss
Krillin & Gohan Vs. Ginyu - Loss
Krillin & Gohan Vs. Frieza - Loss
Krillin & Trunks Vs. Baby Cell - Win
Krillin Vs. Perfect Cell - Loss
Krillin Vs. Cell Jr - Loss
Krillin Vs. Pintar - Win
Krillin Vs. Super Buu - Loss

Tenshinan Vs. Yamcha - Win
Tenshinan Vs. Jackie Chun - Win
Tenshinan Vs. Goku - Win
Tenshinan Vs. Drum - Loss
Tenshinan Vs. Mercenary Tao - Win
Tenshinan Vs. Goku - Loss
Tenshinan Vs. Saibaman - Win
Tenshinan & Chiaotzu Vs. Nappa - Loss
Tenshinan, Trunks, Piccolo, & Vegeta Vs. Android 17 & 18 - Loss
Tenshinan Vs. Cell - Loss
Tenshinan Vs. Cell Jr - Loss
Tenshinan Vs. Super Buu - Loss

Yamcha Vs. Hungry Goku - Draw
Yamcha Vs. Goku - Loss
Yamcha Vs. Chichi - Win
Yamcha Vs. Boss Rabbits Crew - Win
Yamcha & Puar Vs. Oozaru Goku - Win
Yamcha Vs. Jackie Chun - Loss
Yamcha Vs. The Invisible Man - Win
Yamcha Vs. The Mummy - Loss
Yamcha Vs. Tenshinan - Loss
Yamcha Vs. Kami - Loss
Yamcha Vs. Saibaman - Draw
Yamcha Vs. Dr. Gero - Loss
Yamcha Vs. Cell Jr - Loss
Yamcha Vs. Super Buu - Loss

Vyktal

When looking back at the sheer range of characters in the Z crew it's truly depressing that everything only ever revolved around the saiyans whilst everyone else was left in the dust.

When I was younger, after the Cell saga I always hoped that the humans would get some kind of boost or decent fights to make them relevant again. I specifically pictured Krillin somehow learning to manipulate ki like threads of cloth, thus introducing a whole new array of techniques which meant that raw power could be bested by clever ki-manipulation... such fantasies were quickly quashed forevermore during the Buu saga.

If DB was created in this day and age then I bet it'd be a completely different show with all the characters being more balanced throughout along with more intricate story arcs. Right now the Dragonball series is a show with an incredibly archaic and flimsy formula which was fine back when it started, but these days any new movies or shorts are just repeating the same thing! Why is Dragonball still popular!? Are kids picking it up or is it just die-hard fans loving the nostalgia?

When looking back at the sheer range of characters in the Z crew it's truly depressing that everything only ever revolved around the saiyans whilst everyone else was left in the dust.

When I was younger, after the Cell saga I always hoped that the humans would get some kind of boost or decent fights to make them relevant again. I specifically pictured Krillin somehow learning to manipulate ki like threads of cloth, thus introducing a whole new array of techniques which meant that raw power could be bested by clever ki-manipulation... such fantasies were quickly quashed forevermore during the Buu saga.

If DB was created in this day and age then I bet it'd be a completely different show with all the characters being more balanced throughout along with more intricate story arcs. Right now the Dragonball series is a show with an incredibly archaic and flimsy formula which was fine back when it started, but these days any new movies or shorts are just repeating the same thing! Why is Dragonball still popular!? Are kids picking it up or is it just die-hard fans loving the nostalgia?
well the formula seems is still very good aleast for meand about the popularity
maybe both i dunno...
but i can wait to see the new dragon ball z movie in theaters

MikeMyers

Why is Dragonball still popular!? Are kids picking it up or is it just die-hard fans loving the nostalgia?

Well,

1.) DBZ has hit "Iconic Anime" status in America with memes like Over 9000.
2.) The remake of Kai helped introduce the series to a brand new generation.

FYC

Banned
Why is Dragonball still popular!? Are kids picking it up or is it just die-hard fans loving the nostalgia?

Dragonball is a way of life.

I'm at the end of the Baby arc in GT. Dunno if I wanna continue. I mean... Ergh... Arghhhhhhh... Blehhhh...

MikeMyers

Dragonball is a way of life.

I'm at the end of the Baby arc in GT. Dunno if I wanna continue. I mean... Ergh... Arghhhhhhh... Blehhhh...

Super 17 is pretty WTF but its only 6 episodes, so not too long.

Shadow Dragons starts of pretty good but starts to lose its way when Goku fights the "Good" Dragon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Speaking of which, at what point does the anime become DBZ? I forgot - is it after the tourney where Goku beats Piccolo?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

toriyama hasent done too well with buffing everyone to reasonable levels, but i will say he wasent horrible in character development, but mostly on krillin, probably cause krillin was the fan favorite human but he got treated right in the buu saga, he went from hating marriage, to loving it and focusing his whole life around it

Wiseblade

toriyama hasent done too well with buffing everyone to reasonable levels, but i will say he wasent horrible in character development, but mostly on krillin, probably cause krillin was the fan favorite human but he got treated right in the buu saga, he went from hating marriage, to loving it and focusing his whole life around it
Toriyama was never good at spreading the spotlight.

The Emperor Pilaf arc was probably the only time the cast really got any attention.

The 21st tournament was made everyone other than goku and krillin irrelevant, and the red ribbon army arc was all goku. It pretty much stayed that way until Namek made Gohan, Krillin, Vegeta and Piccolo matter. If anything, you could argue Toriyama got better over time.

Takao

Banned

Dragon Ball is a series that still airs on major television networks in many countries. The constant barrage of merchandise, and other goods continues to bring new life into the franchise.

As for the criticism regarding characters, I don't think being made today would change a thing. Naruto and Bleach have no problem tossing characters to the side in favour of the Sasuke Uchiha, and Ichigo Kurosaki show. The reason why Dragon Ball later becomes the Goku show is because Goku was the most popular characters, and what people wanted. Toriyama's inability to include other characters going forward was simply because he wasn't the most attentive of people.

But I thought Funi were going to continue the DBZ blurays?

Watch it end up being the Orange Bricks on BD. They did master those in HD ...

ElFly

Yeah, the humans were useless outside of supporting roles. Or if they did win a fight, it'd be against someone minor. Frame of reference:

Krillin Vs. Bacterian - Win
Krillin Vs. Jackie Chun - Loss
Krillin Vs. General Blue - Loss

This list is kind of weird because a lot of the opponents are human too.

Yajirobe probably has the best record in the series.

Won against that Piccolo spawn (Tambourine?). Then cut Vegeta's tail. The end. Two wins, no defeats.

MikeMyers

This list is kind of weird because a lot of the opponents are human too.

Yajirobe probably has the best record in the series.

Won against that Piccolo spawn (Tambourine?). Then cut Vegeta's tail. The end. Two wins, no defeats.

Yajirobe Vs Goku - Draw
Yajirobe Vs Cymbal - Win
Yajirobe Vs Kami - Loss
Yajirobe, Krillin, & Gohan Vs. Vegeta - Win

That's all I remember from him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love how Korin goes from bags and bags of Senzu beans in Dragon Ball to only having two at the beginning of DBZ.

I love how Korin goes from bags and bags of Senzu beans in Dragon Ball to only having two at the beginning of DBZ.

Well they also go from "rest you up and make you not need to eat for a week" to "magical heal all that cures broken necks and gaping holes" so they obviously need to be a bit scarcer.

MikeMyers

I just realized, Goku has 4 fights in every saga in DBZ.

Saiyan Arc:
1.) Loses to Raditz on Roshi's Island
2.) Both he and Raditz die to Piccolo's attack in the rematch
3.) Beats Nappa easily
4.) Loses to Vegeta and is saved by the humans

Frieza Arc:
1.) Beats Recoome in one hit
2.) Beats Burter and Jeice in a handicap match
3.) Loses to Captain Ginyu's body switch
4.) Both he and Frieza fail to kill each other for WTF reasons

Cell Arc:
1.) Beats Trunks in a warm-up match
2.) Loses to Nineteen due to heart virus
3.) Gives up against Cell
4.) Loses to a Cell Jr

Buu Arc:
1.) Beats Yakon in Babidi's spaceship
2.) Sucker Punched by Majin Vegeta
3.) Has a brief fight with Fat Buu
4.) Beats Kid Buu thanks to Vegeta, Hercule, and Fat Buu.

28th Budokai:
1.) Fights Uub...only one fight here, but this was the epilogue anyway.

I guess you can count Goku as part of fights such as Vegeta Vs Ginyu (threw the frog) and Gohan Vs Cell (teleported Cell) but he doesn't physically battle in them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oooh finally got to the Ed Elric version of Dragon Soul that I heard eight million times randomly looking for Avatar episodes on Nicktoons.

I not ashamed to say I love this version of the song.

Kai's pacing is pretty good but it seems to slow just a bit during the Ginyu part. I bet if I look at the actual episode list though they still ended up cutting 2-4 episodes out of it.

MikeMyers

Oh gee original Z makes Gohan's fight with Recoome an entire episode, as well as there being an episode where Goku fights Burter and Jeice and nothing really happens. I also skip those.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh gee original Z makes Gohan's fight with Recoome an entire episode, as well as there being an episode where Goku fights Burter and Jeice and nothing really happens. I also skip those.

They cut the crap out of Vegeta versus reswitched Ginyu as well.

Top Bottom