• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

MikeMyers

Dance Dance Revolution Motherfucker

tumblr_ms7rdvOvsB1rcrtxgo1_500.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hate to admit it but I really like the BSness of the Shenron wish during the Frieza saga for many many reasons.

1. It hasn't been even close to a year since Shenron was last called.
2. Guru/Grand Elder died of natural causes.
3. If they were going to do that much nonsense they easily could have included everyone killed by Vegeta/Nappa just by saying everyone killed by Frieza, his goons, and the Saiyans.

Wiseblade

I hate to admit it but I really like the BSness of the Shenron wish during the Frieza saga for many many reasons.

3. If they were going to do that much nonsense they easily could have included everyone killed by Vegeta/Nappa just by saying everyone killed by Frieza, his goons, and the Saiyans.
But the crazy hand waves make it more fun!

1. Piccolo/Kami dying reset the timer
2. Guru's death was accelerated by minutes/hours due to Frieza's actions on Namek
3. Nobody really cares about Tien, Chiaotzu or Yamcha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But the crazy hand waves make it more fun!

1. Piccolo/Kami dying reset the timer
2. Guru's death was accelerated by minutes/hours due to Frieza's actions on Namek
3. Nobody really cares about Tien, Chiaotzu or Yamcha.

The crazy hand wave is my favorite part about it as they basically never pull this crap before or after.

While I agree about three I was mainly thinking about the 30 or so Namekians Vegeta also killed.

MikeMyers

The funny thing is in the end of the Piccolo arc Kami was shown to easily be able to resurrect Shenron and make wishes easily. The Frieza fight showed Popo can gather Dragon Balls within a day. They could have easily whored out Shenron

Oh and Popo has a teleporting carpet, why didn't he give that to Goku when he was looking for Nappa & Vegeta?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
After seeing Man of Steel I need a proper DBZ movie.

Evolution was a disgrace.

Evolution feels like an attempt at telling Dragon Ball, but afraid that the Western audience wouldn't get it because they only know of Z, so added Super Saiyan in it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Don't forget how they wasted a wish on transferring Krillin's soul back to Earth and then resurrecting him (because apparently that's a thing...), when they could have just wished back the planet first.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I can't believe I've missed this thread, as well as news on this new DB movie. Wow, Battle of the Gods, after reading the wiki on it, looks bananas.

Also, for the record, I'm not ever touching Kai. EVER! I resent the idea of the studios producing a "version" of one of the greatest anime of all time, that is cut, condensed, edited or watered down in any way. To cut scenes from DragonBall Z, even if they're only considered filler, is absolute SACRILEGE and Toei should be ashamed of themselves! :(

I can't believe I've missed this thread, as well as news on this new DB movie. Wow, Battle of the Gods, after reading the wiki on it, looks bananas.

Also, for the record, I'm not ever touching Kai. EVER! I resent the idea of the studios producing a "version" of one of the greatest anime of all time, that is cut, condensed, edited or watered down in any way. To cut scenes from DragonBall Z, even if they're only considered filler, is absolute SACRILEGE and Toei should be ashamed of themselves! :(

What about people like me who love that there is a cut version of DBZ because I hate filler and drawn out scenes? :p

I love that Kai exists..if you don't, you can just pretend it doesn't exist.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kai is great so far (just finishing the Frieza saga) and only a few things bother me.

1. Frieza's new dub voice sucks and he barely calls Goku a monkey at all!.
2. They undubbed a bunch of the attack names. Spirit Bomb is still Spirit Bomb but they Japanese'd the crap out of Destructo Disc, Special Beam Cannon, and Solar Flare, three awesome names.
3. They really did cut a lot of nonsense out, but some of that nonsense was pretty cool like Goku's adventures on Snake Way, Gohan, Krillin and Bulma's adventure in space, and if the next episode preview is to go by, the entire Garlic Junior arc. If this means the driving test is gone so help me...

I'll throw on the DVD version or get the Burger King VHS version out of storage if its not on there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kai version of Cyborg Frieza is really good and well paced.

EDIT: Hold on, does Dragon Ball never cover Trunks having/not having a tail???

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That is a totally sweet reaction gif and the voice does improve as it goes along (it's really bad for stage 2-3 Frieza) and it works really well with the robot voice box for these two episodes but I love my classic Genkai/Frieza voice.

I admittedly haven't actually watched Kai but I remember checking out some clips when he first turned up in the dub and, watching some more scenes now on Youtube, he sounds great to me. Unless it goes to crap in the middle forms, it sounds like a quality take on the character for 1 and 4.

MikeMyers

I prefer the original Genkai voice over the new Kai voice, has more of a sadistic tone to it.

But I watch the show in Japanese anyway, so the dub voices don't matter for me.

Wait, it was referred as the Oozaru? Doesn't the oozaru involve becoming a giant ape?

From memory, they refer to Ozaru as a character who used to serve Piccolo, and Goku is supposed to be a reincarnation of him or something I guess? That's specifically what that transformation is though.

Yeah it's the great ape form in the original, but Evolution isn't exactly know for its accuracy to the source material.

MikeMyers

Man the cornucopia of fuck ups by the good guys during the Android saga are countless.

Yeah, all of Gohan's character development in the Saiyan-Namek arc of being a sheltered boy who becomes willing to fight for what he believes is regressed and Gohan suddenly becomes a pacifist in this saga.

Krillin spends most of his time worrying about a woman who wants to kill his best friend. A lot of people don't mind this because he eventually married her but the whole relationship just seems random and forced (pretty much any DB couple outside of Gohan/Videl).

Piccolo gets another power-up that leads to him accomplishing nothing really. His whole agenda from stopping Cell become complete actually backfires because its his fight with Seventeen that gives away the Androids location to Cell. Not out of character for Piccolo but a disappointment for him to get another power-up that turns out to be useless.

Future Trunks is just dumb, lol.

Goku and Vegeta seem in-character here. Goku's fought the toughest in the Universe (Frieza) and wants a new challenge, so he's lets the Androids come forth. Vegeta's always been arrogant and he's still anti-hero at this point, but the whole Bulma thing seems forced too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean the real mental lapses at the beginning.

Bulma showing up for the fight, Goku not taking his medicine (probably didn't like the grape flavor), Vegeta spending time arguing with Trunks and many, many more.

The later stuff with Piccolo and Cell did stick out to me (Plus Vegeta wanting to fight Perfect Cell and potentially Goku throwing the fight to Perfect Cell so that he could retire, but that's more of a theory than him being dumb.)

MikeMyers

Yeah, I was thought it was a huge what the fuck moment that Bulma was willing to show up to the Android battle with a baby.

And people criticize Chi-Chi's mothering skills.

Moaradin

Genkai Frieza is nostalgic but new Frieza is better. The actual performance was a lot better, and I thought the voice fit more as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The script is way better, the voice actor isn't. It is a ton closer to the original VA though.

Man Piccolo's fake heel speeches during the Android Saga are great. You've been a good guy since the third episode of Kai. Even Krillin sees through your BS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Baby Trunks had more reason to be there than Yamcha and Tien.

Eeeh, I disagree, later on in this arc proves that Tien has at least somewhat been keeping up with his training.

Yamcha also stays the fuck away from the second fight after getting fisted.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you say so.

Well it's because he had taken Goku to his house by the time the Z Fighters fight the second batch of Androids. Krillin's the one who pussied out in that saga.

Gets fisted, gets flown back for Senzu bean, gets brow beaten into flying over to help out, sees end of 19 vs Goku, flies back with Goku. Krillin while talking like a bitch stays around and because he's the bean man smartly stays out of the later fights, though I have no idea why he didn't try a destructo disc or three considering how effective they've always been at scaring the shit out of invincible monsters.

The 17-18 beatdown of the Z Fighters in kai is great. It's the first fight really edited fantastically though it didn't take that long in the original. They house the Z fighters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's going to suck going back to regular DBZ for the Buu Saga. At least I'll have glorious old school butt rock to give me solace.

MikeMyers

That always bugged me. In the manga the Destructo Disk can cut through anything, meaning Krillin could have taken out numerous villains in Namek and Androic Arc with Solar Flare+Destructo Disk. Its kinda why I like the anime nerfing the move so it doesn't work on people who are much stronger.

It'd be funny if Goku did the Teleportation Destructo Disk on the Androids like he did with Buu.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Funi Dub>Japanese Freiza>Kai Dub>Ocean Group dub is my Frieza ranking.

You really think grandma Frieza is the best?

Frieza's supposed to sound like a nobleman that, despite all appearances, is a psychopathic galactic dictator. Not like Rita Repulsa with lung cancer.

Moaradin

You really think grandma Frieza is the best?

Frieza's supposed to sound like a nobleman that, despite all appearances, is a psychopathic galactic dictator. Not like Rita Repulsa with lung cancer.

That's exactly how the Kai dub Frieza sounds like. The original Funi dub Frieza voice was about as unfitting as Goku's Japanese voice.

Anth0ny

The blu ray is out so soooooooooon

I got that limited edition pre order in on cdjapan so I'm hoping to get it by the end of next week :)

Top Bottom