• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
I live in Denmark and been searching in Amazon.co.uk with no lock.

You still didn't specify if you're asking about the anime, or the manga. Manga Entertainment (UK) is releasing the cropped, and frankly really ugly looking season sets for Dragon Ball Z. It's done very well for them so it's likely they'll pick up the other series, and maybe re-release Z with Dragon Box footage or something. Viz has released the manga in Europe before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I'm finally getting to the Cell part of Kai and I finally remembered why the Androids seem so different than the other Z fights; they are the only ones who can't raise their power level at all so they are the only ones fighting all out the entire time.

jaxword

34RqKe2.jpg

MikeMyers

So I'm finally getting to the Cell part of Kai and I finally remembered why the Androids seem so different than the other Z fights; they are the only ones who can't raise their power level at all so they are the only ones fighting all out the entire time.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Androids barely used massive ki attacks. The only thing I really remember is Seventeen's Energy Barrier.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
18 flattens a mountain/forest so they'd get to Goku's faster and there's a couple of other minor ones but you're basically right.

I just love how this arc plays out especially without all this filler junk. Kai does really great here.

Prozel

You still didn't specify if you're asking about the anime, or the manga. Manga Entertainment (UK) is releasing the cropped, and frankly really ugly looking season sets for Dragon Ball Z. It's done very well for them so it's likely they'll pick up the other series, and maybe re-release Z with Dragon Box footage or something. Viz has released the manga in Europe before.

Sorry, I meant the anime.

Savitar

The other day I ordered one of my favorite things from DBZ.

Cell.

Or to be more accurate

S.H. Figuarts Perfect Cell.

attachment.php

Not my picture but that's what he looks like.

Always enjoyed his character, if they had to make some bad guys go good I kind of wish he had been one. If nothing else because he would have been one of the few who could have likely powered up as much as Goku did and maybe play a half good/bad guy role.

He was one of the best characters to be created by far.

MikeMyers

unfitting as Goku's Japanese voice.

Huh?

"I was wondering what they were going to do when his head moved, since his hairstyle wasn’t really consistent, so I admire whoever had to had to make it look as if it were. The voice fit my image exactly. But I guess that’s only natural, since I listened to the seiyuu audition tapes and picked it myself (laughs). The truth is that I don’t know much about anime, so even when I was told the name Nozawa Masako, at the time I had no idea she was someone famous."
--Akira Toriyama

Huh?

"I was wondering what they were going to do when his head moved, since his hairstyle wasn’t really consistent, so I admire whoever had to had to make it look as if it were. The voice fit my image exactly. But I guess that’s only natural, since I listened to the seiyuu audition tapes and picked it myself (laughs). The truth is that I don’t know much about anime, so even when I was told the name Nozawa Masako, at the time I had no idea she was someone famous."
--Akira Toriyama

Are we talking about the same Akira Toriyama ,who can't even remember Mercenary Tao among other things? I'm pretty sure he decided that Nozawa was always what he envisioned for Goku after he got accustomed to hearing her for so long. Much in the same way, many English DBZ fans find Linda Young's Freeza what they always "envisioned".

That and I doubt he would ever disrespect any of the original voice cast.

Are we talking about the same Akira Toriyama ,who can't even remember Mercenary Tao among other things? I'm pretty sure he decided that Nozawa was always what he envisioned for Goku after he got accustomed to hearing her for so long. Much in the same way, many English DBZ fans find Linda Young's Freeza what they always "envisioned".

That and I doubt he would ever disrespect any of the original voice cast.

It says there in the interview that he selected her himself. What he can or can't remember now or how accustomed he is to the performance is irrelevant if he chose her while still doing the series.

MikeMyers

Toriyama didn't forgot about Mercernary Tao, he just said he was a minor character.

Toriyama: Taopaipai...? You're getting to some of the less important charactrers.

Oda: What!? Taopaipai is a HUGE major character!

Toriyama: The guy with the braid?

Which you know, Tao Pai Pai IS a lesser character when you consider all 42 Volumes in retrospective.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
First bad guy to ever beat Goku, but only shows up three times. Not exactly major.

Finished Kai tonight and went back to the Dragon Box. Pacing is night and day, voice acting isn't that noticeable but video quality is.

Would watch a thousand episodes about Gohan being a super hero though....oh no the world martial arts tournament and the plot have to come in and ruin everything. Shame.

Imperfect Cell is the villain equivalent of Yamcha. Shows up as a goofy looking world beater/serious threat, gets punked by Tien, is a real creepier towards android 18, gets obliterated by Vegeta and spends around two episodes of Kai begging off. Next time he is seen he gets all fat and has a temper tantrum.

Meanwhile the other two Cells are glorious bastards; the first one eats people and uses their souls to power up while sneaking around and being awesome while Perfect/Super Perfect Cell is just a glorious bastard; he no sells the Destructo Disc! Goes on tv to promote his tournament! Fights fair until he decides not to...picks on a little kid...well I guess we can't all be perfect.

It says there in the interview that he selected her himself. What he can or can't remember now or how accustomed he is to the performance is irrelevant if he chose her while still doing the series.
I'm not necessarily arguing that he didn't choose her only that when he did the casting, Goku was still a child. By the time Goku grew up, he was already far to accustomed to her voice to ever change it. I guess you could call it irrelevant, but many still find the voice unfitting despite the creator saying otherwise.

MikeMyers

First bad guy to ever beat Goku, but only shows up three times. Not exactly major.

He shows up twice, Red Ribbon Army arc & 23rd Budokai. He appears in some Cell Games filler though.

I'm not necessarily arguing that he didn't choose her only that when he did the casting, Goku was still a child. By the time Goku grew up, he was already far to accustomed to her voice to ever change it. I guess you could call it irrelevant, but many still find the voice unfitting despite the creator saying otherwise.

But it's Toriyama's character, he knows what the characters voice would sound like. You don't have to like the voice, but its pretty out there to call it "unfitting"

MikeMyers

Yeah, if you want to go after Toriyama for forgetting stuff, Lunch is the obvious example.

Yeah.

Although I think in that case it was a mixture of forgetting about her and not knowing what the fuck to do with her character at that point.

He did intend to put her in the Buu arc Genki Dama scene, but figured the audience wouldn't know who she was and put Seventeen's in that panel instead.

Imperfect Cell is the villain equivalent of Yamcha. Shows up as a goofy looking world beater/serious threat, gets punked by Tien, is a real creepier towards android 18, gets obliterated by Vegeta and spends around two episodes of Kai begging off. Next time he is seen he gets all fat and has a temper tantrum.

But he successfully killed Goku!

But it's Toriyama's character, he knows what the characters voice would sound like. You don't have to like the voice, but its pretty out there to call it "unfitting"
Considering all the complaint's it gets I don't think it's too far out there to call it unfitting. It's not exactly extremely common for someone with Goku's build to have that voice in animation that isn't played for comedy.

Yeah, if you want to go after Toriyama for forgetting stuff, Lunch is the obvious example.
That was just the first example that came to mind. A more recent example is him mistaking SSJ3 for SSJ2. Then there's him forgetting Android 18 original hair color was blonde. Yeah...his memory isn't exactly the best.

TCKaos

SSJ3 Goku: flicked to the floor and held back with a finger.

SSJ1 Goku: Putting up a pretty darn good fight.

Bills explains that
Goku still has access to high reserves of strength after exiting his Super Saiyan God form due to having absorbed the strength of the form in to his own body. Though he isn't quite as strong as he is as a Super Saiyan God, he's still incredibly powerful.

MikeMyers

Considering all the complaint's it gets I don't think it's too far out there to call it unfitting. It's not exactly extremely common for someone with Goku's build to have that voice in animation that isn't played for comedy.

Does it even really get complaints outside of US fans that grew up with Schemmel's Superman-esque voice? I don't think the fans in Japan really minded.

A lot of those complaints are from the same kind of people that call the original score "circus music" so yeah, I don't give much credence to them.

Does it even really get complaints outside of US fans that grew up with Schemmel's Superman-esque voice? I don't think the fans in Japan really minded.

Keep in mind every dub outside of Japan Goku's voice is male. You don't seem to find too many fans of cross-dressing voiceovers unless the character is young or played for humor.

Schemmel sounding Superman-esque was primarily contained to the early Z dub which has it own sort of issues, mostly translation issues and the actors being completely new to voice acting. On top of that early on they were pretty much told to imitate the previous Ocean cast.

Schemmel's is really great for the character in Kai and the portions they later dubbed in2006. As for Japanese fan's not caring, we have direct equivalent in the English dub. Before Kai you would be hard-pressed to find casual fans of the Z dub minding Linda Young's Freeza . Heck some fans of the "original" Z dub still prefer her over the Kai replacement.

A lot of those complaints are from the same kind of people that call the original score "circus music" so yeah, I don't give much credence to them.
What about the complaints from other countries with the original Japanese music?

That's exactly how the Kai dub Frieza sounds like. The original Funi dub Frieza voice was about as unfitting as Goku's Japanese voice.

Holy crap! I've only watched the sub'd version of Kai, but wow at that dub'd voice (just searched YouTube). I want to do a dub'd watch of Kai now. Have to get the blu rays sooner or later..

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just watched dub Kai. It's fantastic. I'm sad to go back to non kai to finish the series and will definitely pick up the rest when it is released.

MikeMyers

Keep in mind every dub outside of Japan Goku's voice is male. You don't seem to find too many fans of cross-dressing voiceovers unless the character is young or played for humor.

Schemmel sounding Superman-esque was primarily contained to the early Z dub which has it own sort of issues, mostly translation issues and the actors being completely new to voice acting. On top of that early on they were pretty much told to imitate the previous Ocean cast.

Schemmel's is really great for the character in Kai and the portions they later dubbed in2006. As for Japanese fan's not caring, we have direct equivalent in the English dub. Before Kai you would be hard-pressed to find casual fans of the Z dub minding Linda Young's Freeza . Heck some fans of the "original" Z dub still prefer her over the Kai replacement.

Uh, I remember a lot of casual fans making fun of Frieza's Genkai voice even before the recasting.

And personally I'm still not a fan of Schemmel's Goku. He's doesn't really have capture childlike innocence of the character. I won't begrudge others if they prefer it, though.

Takao

Banned
HERE WE GO AGAIN

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/09/13/funimation-blu-ray-dbz-season-one-listed-for-january-2014/

In July 2011, FUNimation announced a new Blu-ray remaster of the Dragon Ball Z TV series. Half a year later, after only two volumes hit store shelves, they announced their work on the release would be indefinitely suspended.

Last June, the company conducted an online survey asking fans about their potential interest in a revived Blu-ray release of the series, putting forth questions about cropping, a release schedule, pricing, etc.

Listings-superfan WTK posted up a link to the latest Previews sheet for October’s solicitations, which clearly lists a “Season One” version of some type of Blu-ray release:

dbz_funi_bd_season_previews.png

Are we looking at a January 2014 re-try for FUNimation and an HD version of Dragon Ball Z at $44.98? Will it be 2007 all over again with cropped video? Will the first batch of episodes be re-remastered to fall in line with whatever new process they have decided upon, or will it be the same remastering process just with a few more years worth of experience behind them?

As of right now, we know nothing… so stay tuned

Release the new animation? Hell no, here's another DBZ release instead.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
what's this about new animation? Please explain...are they re-animating the entire DBZ series?

MikeMyers

By the way, Takao, what games would you recommend to a PS3 and DS owner?

I have the Budokai 1 and 3 collection. I ordered DB: Origins as well.

Takao

Banned
By the way, Takao, what games would you recommend to a PS3 and DS owner?

I have the Budokai 1 and 3 collection. I ordered DB: Origins as well.

Attack of the Saiyans, Ultimate Butouden, and I guess Supersonic Warriors 2 if you like Arc System Works games.

Top Bottom