• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Erv

Can anyone suggest any good dbz toys that are detailed and big enough to look on a shelf. My preferred characters would be vegeta or trunks.

Erv

Thanks, is that last vegeta one the one with a swappable head. I saw one that's really cool that has a lot of flexibility and you can pose him into a some cool poses. It's like 50 bucks, but it's one of the coolest I've seen. I'm just worried it's too small. I have to look into it once I get to a computer
Actually I was mistaken,it doesn't have a swappable head but is still awesome.just have to find the dimensions

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZQ2SYU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Erv

Yeah thanks for the help. Even though it's smaller I might go with it since id like to pose them with other figures

MikeMyers

Akira Toriyama message to fans"

This was the first time that I participated in creating the story for a theatrical Dragon Ball anime. But that isn’t to say that I was requested to participate; rather, while I thought the concepts in the story I received were good, the contents were a bit dark, and in the midst of making partial changes, I got carried away, and ended up making it into an almost completely different story. That’s the correct way to put it. Since the creator was the one making the changes, I suppose I may have caused a lot of trouble for the production side of things. For the scriptwriter in particular, it can’t have been pleasant.

However, since it’s the first Dragon Ball animation in a long time, I also intended to get people acquainted with it, not just through fighting, but by enjoying this silly, lively world to the fullest. Plus, things like getting involved with the world of a God of Destruction, Vegeta’s breakdown, and Goku not being victorious were all episodes that would be very difficult to touch upon if it weren’t the creator doing it.

The last part in particular, where the main character Goku is unable to win, was a bit of a dangerous gamble going by existing theory. By doing that, however, I was able to preserve the dignity of Beerus, rumored to be the strongest there is. With respect to Goku, as well, I incorporated a message that, by having a future goal to shoot for, Dragon Ball will not end.

For the battle scenes, I wrote the rough idea of their exchanges, and left the rest up to the animation pros. Thanks to them, they made them into powerful fight scenes that I wouldn’t have been able to conceive of on my own. This sort of thing is the fruit of the various techniques employed by professionals that you can find only in animation.

The main character Goku is a strong, pure, good person, but he’s also a battle-obsessed, hopeless case of a human being, who has some issues as a father. Yet for some reason, he possesses a mysterious, lighthearted charm that keeps his circle of friends growing and growing.

If you could please enjoy that Dragon World without thinking about anything, I’ll be happy.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/battle-gods-blu-ray-dvd-message/

who has some issues as a father

Not you too...

ibsuNRh31nHkIo.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Great stuff. One of the first times in a while that Toriyama hasn't sounded like someone who can't remember a fucking thing about the series. Is this the first time he's come out and said Goku is bad father? lol

Nah, he's commented on that a bunch in the past. Even acknowledges that Piccolo is the better daddy iirc.

Nah, he's commented on that a bunch in the past. Even acknowledges that Piccolo is the better daddy iirc.

That's ridiculous. Piccolo did the same thing Goku did. Trained him for the Saiyans without acknowledging Gohan's feelings, except it was worse. At least it was years after Gohan grew to like fighting when Goku wanted Gohan to fight Cell. He had no idea Gohan was going to bitch out when the fight came up.

MikeMyers

Stop thinking about it too hard, dorks

BUT DBZ IS SO HARDCORE AND IT NEEDS LOGIC.

Nope, the interviewer said Piccolo is a better dad. Toriyama said:

"Goku isn’t interested in child-rearing, probably. He’s completely unqualified to be a father. (laughs) He doesn’t even have a job. Goku wants nothing other than to get stronger, and it feels like he doesn’t have any other instincts. So he shows absolutely no interest in things he’s not interested in. I’d bet he wouldn’t have had any interest in marriage, either. "

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Got through the single player stuff in Infinite World. I thought the fighting was fun and really is an improvement of B3 but adjusting to the new controls were annoying. The tutorials in the singleplayer are the worst. Mini games were also terrible. Blue mode is dumb

I liked how they gave everyone a super.

I liked how you can just bust supers out whenever and not have them linked to the stupid red mode.

I liked how they put most important things to a button instead of arbitrary macro shit like in the older games

Also the cutscenes were ok

Takao

Banned
Battle of Gods has been licensed in Australia, Spain, and a bunch of other countries. At this point I really doubt Fox is causing the hold up for a US/Canada release. I believe it's Funimation being cheap.

Great stuff. One of the first times in a while that Toriyama hasn't sounded like someone who can't remember a fucking thing about the series.

"However, since it’s the first Dragon Ball animation in a long time"

Yo! Son Goku & Friends Return (2008)
Plan to Eradicate The Super Saiyans (2010)
Episode of Bardock (2012)
Battle of Gods (2013)

It's gotten to the point where new animation is no longer a selling point to me. Though, it does go to show how involved Toriyama was with those other projects, despite marketing saying otherwise.

MikeMyers

"However, since it’s the first Dragon Ball animation in a long time"

Yo! Son Goku & Friends Return (2008)
Plan to Eradicate The Super Saiyans (2010)
Episode of Bardock (2012)
Battle of Gods (2013)

It's gotten to the point where new animation is no longer a selling point to me. Though, it does go to show how involved Toriyama was with those other projects, despite marketing saying otherwise.

Nobody wants to remember stuff like DBZ Kai or Episode of Bardock though.

Vyktal

Watched the new Battle of Gods movie last night.

Overall I was suprised to have actually been suprised by the story, lots of fun was had and Bills was a fantastic character.

Although, am I the only one who thinks Goku is the worst character in the whole film?

RANT
He is without doubt one of the strongest, if not THE strongest fighter in the (7th?) universe. He has often employed the help of colleagues to add drips of power to his Spirit Bombs, but otherwise he has overcome almost every villain thrown at him and defeated them with his own training. He is surrounded by friends, family and rivals, many of whom dedicated significant portions of their lives to becoming better fighters, and hell, they are the strongest fighters you'll find for galaxies around. And you know what? Barring Gohan and maybe Vegeta, Goku could tear them apart with ease if he wanted. He is basically the best.

Cut to Battle of Gods. Inevitably, another new fighter is put in front of him, and its a God. A GOD, and finally Goku is the one who gets completely thrashed (and in light of how I felt after the film, this was soooo satisfying). Bish bash bosh, there is a way Goku can gain the ability to fight the enemy but it involves help from his friends. Something he has done before, something which helps give some meaning to those close to him, something to bring him closer to his fellow Z fighters..... and how does he react? He's dissatisfied. Unhappy that he needed to get any help at all from his friends, and he actually compares his "throwing away his pride so he can become a God", to Vegeta's selflessly silly dance to try appease Bills and save the Earth.

... fuck you Goku, you insufferable prick.. All his friends and family are to him is a mark on the wall. Once the stream of his urine reaches above the mark, he grins his fucking grin and just keeps on looking up, never giving a damn about that mark now drenched in his fluids.

I know his arrogance was somewhat brought to the fore during the fight with Bills, but I feel it wasn't hammered into him enough! In this film, Goku has transcended to such a level of selfishness and pride that even though he lost the fight overall, I actually wished he was humiliated. I wish he went through basically what Vegeta went through back during the Freiza arc. He should suffer a terrible loss because of his petulent pride (maybe get rejected by all his loved ones along the way as they see how he sees them), he should get knocked down all the fucking pegs, and then this can pave the path for character development and become a half decent person.

At the end of the film, all that happened is Bills pointed out a massive flaw in Goku's personality, Goku kept on being an arrogant dick, and everyone praised him for it. It's crazy that fans want more of this guy. He's the worst.
RANT OVER

TL;DR
In this film, Goku is an arrogant jerk who thinks he's better than everyone else. This makes me mad cause he's supposed to be a "good" character.

MikeMyers

Although, am I the only one who thinks Goku is the worst character in the whole film?

In this film, Goku is an arrogant jerk who thinks he's better than everyone else. This makes me mad cause he's supposed to be a "good" character.

Goku was always like that, it's only the Funi dub that made him "ALLY TO JUSTICE, NIGHTMARE TO YOU"

Vyktal

Or maybe he is supposed to become evil? Hopefully a new series will address that /lol

One can hope! A movie of the Z warriors VS Goku would be awesome.

@ MikeMyers
Was he though? Broly and every Spirit Bomb ever involved getting help! Why is he suddenly too good for their help? Those lousy friends and family giving Goku their blessings to help make him a literal God. Those jerks! They better appreciated he's throwing away his pride for them!

I know I'm taking this way too seriously. I think my adult mind cannot comprehend my childish nostalgia.

Savitar

Those figuarts are damn expensive.

So I bought some.

I got Perfect Cell, SSJ Goku, normal Vegeta, Freeza.

I would have got Gohan, Piccolo and SSJ Vegeta but they go for crazy prices.

Trunks himself is not cheap as well so guessing you paid around a hundred for each if not more. Such are the prices I see listed.

MikeMyers

@ MikeMyers
Was he though? Broly and every Spirit Bomb ever involved getting help! Why is he suddenly too good for their help? Those lousy friends and family giving Goku their blessings to help make him a literal God. Those jerks! They better appreciated he's throwing away his pride for them!

I know I'm taking this way too seriously. I think my adult mind cannot comprehend my childish nostalgia.

The movies aren't written by Akira Toriyama like this one was, in the original comic Goku did that a few time.

23rd Budokai: Nobody interfere I want a fair fight, despite the fact that if he kills me the whole world is doomed.
Saiyan & Namek: Let Vegeta go so I can have a rematch, don't mind the fact that he went to Namek and killed a bunch of Namekieans!
Androids: Let's let the Androids be activated and fight them, even though someone just came from the future to tell us that they'll easily kill him.
Buu: I can kill Buu as a SSJ3, but I want to see Goten fight him instead.
End of DBZ: Alright first time seeing you guys in years and now I'm leaving you all to train with Uub. Sayanora everyone.

Vyktal

The movies aren't written by Akira Toriyama like this one was, in the original comic Goku did that a few time.

23rd Budokai: Nobody interfere I want a fair fight, despite the fact that if he kills me the whole world is doomed.
Saiyan & Namek: Let Vegeta go so I can have a rematch, don't mind the fact that he went to Namek and killed a bunch of Namekieans!
Androids: Let's let the Androids be activated and fight them, even though someone just came from the future to tell us that they'll easily kill him.
Buu: I can kill Buu as a SSJ3, but I want to see Goten fight him instead.
End of DBZ: Alright first time seeing you guys in years and now I'm leaving you all to train with Uub. Sayanora everyone.

Why is this monster the protagonist...

MikeMyers

Why is this monster the protagonist...

From Akira Toriyama -
"The main character Goku is a strong, pure, good person, but he’s also a battle-obsessed, hopeless case of a human being, who has some issues as a father. Yet for some reason, he possesses a mysterious, lighthearted charm that keeps his circle of friends growing and growing."

MikeMyers

Got through the single player stuff in Infinite World. I thought the fighting was fun and really is an improvement of B3 but adjusting to the new controls were annoying. The tutorials in the singleplayer are the worst. Mini games were also terrible. Blue mode is dumb

I liked how they gave everyone a super.

I liked how you can just bust supers out whenever and not have them linked to the stupid red mode.

I liked how they put most important things to a button instead of arbitrary macro shit like in the older games

Also the cutscenes were ok

I remember liking Infinite World quite a bit. Loved the GT designs, and the fact that they removed the Dragon Rush bullshit from B3.

Goku

Banned
Dragonball shouldn't be remastered. At most touched up for HQ video, but the new art styles look horrible. What I love about old DB/Z artstyle is that it looks gand drawn and detailled. The new movies and remasters look way too clean and colourful. Takes away the grittyness of the series. I mean:

comparison.jpg

The 2010 version looks much less authentic and looks like some amateur Flash shit. The new movies are also in the new, clean style. Don't like it.

Anth0ny

Dragonball shouldn't be remastered. At most touched up for HQ video, but the new art styles look horrible. What I love about old DB/Z artstyle is that it looks gand drawn and detailled. The new movies and remasters look way too clean and colourful. Takes away the grittyness of the series. I mean:

comparison.jpg

The 2010 version looks much less authentic and looks like some amateur Flash shit. The new movies are also in the new, clean style. Don't like it.

It's just that hand drawn anime looks far better than that modern, CG/digital shit most of the time. If they had a high enough budget, it could look great. Like this. Or this. To even use a Dragon Ball example, the Budokai 3 intro looks pretty fucking good, but obviously it's a whole lot easier producing a high quality 2 minute clip than it is a full length OVA or feature film.

But so far the CG Dragon Ball animation has all been more or less low budget shit. Even Battle of Gods was a bit disappointing in this regard. In my dreams, all of Dragon Ball looks like Movie 9 or 12. Simply the best hand drawn, Toriyama-esque mid 90s animation possible:

QFZjiRm.jpg

g3wJmxZ.jpg

And it looks even better in motion. So damn good.

MikeMyers

Watching the filler tournament where Pikkon beats all the old villains and puts them in HFIL-Prision.

Dub King Cold: They could at least let us takes showers.

I hope the Ginyu Force doesn't drop the soap!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Watching the filler tournament where Pikkon beats all the old villains and puts them in HFIL-Prision.

Dub King Cold: They could at least let us takes showers.

I hope the Ginyu Force doesn't drop the soap!

That filler saga was so ridiculous. I mean, perfect cell was holding back against goku. And Pikkon beat Super Perfect Cell with one blow without even removing any of his weights or powering up or anything.

And Goku beat Pikkon like a day later.

MikeMyers

That filler saga was so ridiculous. I mean, perfect cell was holding back against goku. And Pikkon beat Super Perfect Cell with one blow without even removing any of his weights or powering up or anything.

And Goku beat Pikkon like a day later.

Wasn't Pikkon basically owning Goku until Goku "beat" him VIA ring out? I'll confirm it again when I get to the final fight.

Wasn't Pikkon basically owning Goku until Goku "beat" him VIA ring out? I'll confirm it again when I get to the final fight.

It was pretty even Pikkon knocking Cell out is still ridiculous; it's not surprising that Goku beat Pikkon even though it doesn't make sense since Toei loves to fanwank Goku.

Kind of like how Gohan should be able to own Broly since he's stronger than Goku in movie 8 and yet Goku is the only one to actually do anything.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Doesn't matter. Goku still shouldn't have been able to knock him out of bounds, considering the relative strengths of Goku, Perfect Cell, Super Perfect Cell, and Gohan at this point. (Perfect cell couldn't do ANYTHING to gohan, and was holding back the bulk of his power against Goku)

Pikkon wasn't even using anywhere near his full power when he took out Super Perfect Cell.

It's filler, but it makes no sense.

Psh, Figuarts. Those kickass gold-haired SSJ toys were where it was it was. Was super proud of my Vegeta/JP Broly ones back in the day.

MikeMyers

Hmm, Goku knocked Pikkon out of the ring due to Warp Kamehameha, a move that caught even Cell off guard. From what I remember Goku only really damaged Pikkon with the SSJ Kaioken, but I'll let you know when I get to that fight.

Kind of like how Gohan should be able to own Broly since he's stronger than Goku in movie 8 and yet Goku is the only one to actually do anything.

Toriyama was like that too. The only notable victory Gohan has in the manga is the Cell Games, and even then it was all like "I won thanks to my dad"

benzy

I got Perfect Cell, SSJ Goku, normal Vegeta, Freeza.

I would have got Gohan, Piccolo and SSJ Vegeta but they go for crazy prices.

Trunks himself is not cheap as well so guessing you paid around a hundred for each if not more. Such are the prices I see listed.

I got Trunks for $85 and Gohan for $90. SSJ Vegeta is indeed ridiculously priced, hopefully they'll just do a re-release at a future comic-com.

You can find SDCC Piccolo for $60 + shipping at bluefin's official site.

http://premium.bluefincorp.com/s-h-figuarts-piccolo-special-color-edition.html

Toriyama was like that too. The only notable victory Gohan has in the manga is the Cell Games, and even then it was all like "I won thanks to my dad"

That is the greatest flaw of DBZ besides Toriyama writing by the seat of his pants is the focus on Goku and how no one can accomplish anything without him. One of the reasons I liked Battle of the Gods was that we see Goku humbled. Too bad no one else did anything useful but hey it's a start.

Top Bottom