• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

MikeMyers

Nope I enjoy the Saiyaman-Buu arc, all the action of the prior "Z" arcs, with a return of the whimsical goofiness of early Dragon Ball.

Order

I'm not gonna lie, I've hated GT since they teased us with that adult Gotenks but made a lame excuse not to use him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm not gonna lie, I've hated GT since they teased us with that adult Gotenks but made a lame excuse not to use him.
Out of all the things GT did wrong, this was the most wrong.

That is the fucking worst episode in all of DB - DBZ - DBGT. They took a fight that took one chapter and made it into an entire episode, terrible pacing.

? As a manga purist, aren't you contractually obligated to value this over the all filler sagas?
Either way, sweet sweet child abuse is worth any amount of filler. Saiyaman saga could learn something from that, just have Cell jump out of one of those highschool lockers, and uppercut Gohan's head clean off= instantly watchable.

Krammy

xNP1Sx7.jpg

This sums up everything wrong with Dragon Ball Heroes. That is literally Android 19 in the back with a female head. It's like they can't come up with anything original.

There were pages of designs from Toriyama for the main villains of the series, and I remember they all looked fairly unique in their own right, why can't we have more of that and less of this copy-paste stuff.

Dereck

How was he teased exactly? After the time skip when Buu was killed, we were shown that he was a slacker. It's no surprise that he stopped fighting completely in GT. Goten is ass in GT yes, and it's a shame.

MikeMyers

The reason why Goten is ass in GT is because as you said, Toriyama established at the end of the manga that Goten had moved on from fighting to dating. So GT just continued that.

How was he teased exactly? After the time skip when Buu was killed, we were shown that he was a slacker. It's no surprise that he stopped fighting completely in GT. Goten is ass in GT yes, and it's a shame.

Gohan "stopped fighting" after the Cell time skip too, yet he went back to fighting during the Buu saga. They could easily have given Goten a reason to resume training.

NeonZ

How was he teased exactly?

They actually talk about fusing into Gotenks after they're freed from Baby's control, but Goku just tells them to not bother with it and just give him their power.

The reason why Goten is ass in GT is because as you said, Toriyama established at the end of the manga that Goten had moved on from fighting to dating. So GT just continued that.

And yet the end of Z established that Pan was the only member of Goku's family that liked training, but she was just yet another slacker in GT...

This sums up everything wrong with Dragon Ball Heroes. That is literally Android 19 in the back with a female head. It's like they can't come up with anything original.

There were pages of designs from Toriyama for the main villains of the series, and I remember they all looked fairly unique in their own right, why can't we have more of that and less of this copy-paste stuff.

Those in the back are mostly the player avatars, they're meant to mimic various race options from DBZ (each one has 3 designs per gender, if there's gender variation). So, they're basically purposefully generic.

MikeMyers

The Gotenks line was against Omega Shenron, but Bebi If I remember correctly.

When was it established Pan was a slacker? She's pretty enthusiastic about it from the beginning.

As far as Gohan fighting in the Buu arc goes. He didn't want to join the tournament at all, he was blackmailed.

Dereck

The Gotenks line was against Omega Shenron, but Bebi If I remember correctly.

When was it established Pan was a slacker? She's pretty enthusiastic about it from the beginning.

As far as Gohan fighting in the Buu arc goes. He didn't want to join the tournament at all, he was blackmailed.
She just remained a so-so Saiyan throughout the entirety of GT. No real extreme progression in power.

MikeMyers

They could have done the same thing for Goten.

Goten was meant to be going to outer space, but Pan snuck on the space instead.

It's not too bad though. Goten gets an entire episode dedicated to himself in GT (#25), he also fights in the 2008 OVA that takes place in the Buu arc.

She just remained a so-so Saiyan throughout the entirety of GT. No real extreme progression in power.

Nobody in GT has any progression of power except Goku (has his tail pulled out so he can go SSJ4, no real training), Vegeta (Bulma makes a machine so he can go SSJ4, no real training), & Uub (fuses with Majin Buu, no real training).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Pan had no progression because progression would necessitate a super saiyan form. And since Toriyama was too lazy to ever figure out what a female super saiyan looks like, that was never going to happen.

MikeMyers

Pan get's a Gohan-style rage boost where she knocks down General Rildo and Trunks wonders if Pan is stronger than he is, but then Rildo gets back off and novelty wears off.

Pan had no progression because progression would necessitate a super saiyan form. And since Toriyama was too lazy to ever figure out what a female super saiyan looks like, that was never going to happen.

Toriyama had pretty much nothing to do with the plotting of GT, though. He did a few early designs but was otherwise hands off with the series.

NeonZ

In her very first appearance in GT, she's complaining about her strength and wanting a normal life. During the space travel in the first arc, afterwards, she has some lines complaining about Goku's enthusiasm for training in some of the scenes in the ship.

Jarnet87

Thought I should share something DBZ related. Bleach chapter last week had a part where Ichigo had to travel an extremely long path way to get back to help his friends lol. Instantly thought of snake way.

MikeMyers

In her very first appearance in GT, she's complaining about her strength and wanting a normal life. During the space travel in the first arc, afterwards, she has some lines complaining about Goku's enthusiasm for training in some of the scenes in the ship.

I just rewatched the entire first episode which has her first appearance in GT.

She has a date where she is going to see a movie, robbers show up, and she takes out the robbers.

The only strength-releated statement I saw was Goku giving a compliment on how strong Pan is. Nothing about Pan complaining how weak she is or wanting a normal life.

super2j

Neo Member
Thought I should share something DBZ related. Bleach chapter last week had a part where Ichigo had to travel an extremely long path way to get back to help his friends lol. Instantly thought of snake way.

I totally saw that!! it was carbon copy of Goku's experience. Higher (not known before) being training him so he can face an upcoming attack that, guess what, is already underway!

MikeMyers

Hey, Takao, is it true they are releasing a box set of all the films?

I'd pick it up, even though I don't like the films much. Although I surprisingly liked Movie 11 even though most disliked it, it was refreshing to see guys like Krillin and Mr. Satan in the main event role.

MikeMyers

I saw once when the released the dub and I don't remember anything about it.

Are the movies 4:3?

My least favourite is Bojack Unbound, mainly because its the usual "Gohan sits there like a bitch and does nothing until Goku has to come and hold his hand"

Also I think the movies are 16:9 and were originally 16:9. I'm sure Takao would know.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I meant for this new release.

I prefer them 4:3, 16:9 just looks wrong for older Dragon Ball stuff, even if it was originally presented in it.

NeonZ

The only strength-releated statement I saw was Goku giving a compliment on how strong Pan is. Nothing about Pan complaining how weak she is or wanting a normal life.

You were looking for the wrong statement. She complains that she's too strong after stopping the robbers, which implies that she wants a normal life.

MikeMyers

You were looking for the wrong statement. She complains that she's too strong after stopping the robbers, which implies that she wants a normal life.

All that means is that she's looking for a good-challenge, a trait she must likely inherited from Goku.

super2j

Neo Member
Somebody from funi seems to be a fan of znes.

that honestly looks fine to me... Man, considering how much I still watch that show at random... I should really get a copy of those orange box dvd's. I need my bruce falconeer. DBZ is not the same without the ginyu force theme, or gohan vs frieza.

Busaiku

I would never buy all the movies unless they change the music for most of them.
The last few movie'sre fine, but from like Lord Slug through Broly, oh my days.

Takao

Banned
I would never buy all the movies unless they change the music for most of them.
The last few movie'sre fine, but from like Lord Slug through Broly, oh my days.

Are you referring to the English dub's music? If so, you can just watch it with the JP bgm on the newer discs.

that honestly looks fine to me... Man, considering how much I still watch that show at random... I should really get a copy of those orange box dvd's. I need my bruce falconeer. DBZ is not the same without the ginyu force theme, or gohan vs frieza.

Look at the shadows on the Saibamen. It's not supposed to be a solid black like it is in the new release. The orange bricks are truly horrific at times:

DragonBox-OrangeBrickComparison.jpg

Top Bottom