• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
That's ridiculous. Piccolo did the same thing Goku did. Trained him for the Saiyans without acknowledging Gohan's feelings, except it was worse. At least it was years after Gohan grew to like fighting when Goku wanted Gohan to fight Cell. He had no idea Gohan was going to bitch out when the fight came up.

Having just rewatched the cell saga this is wrong.

Gohan didn't bitch out, Gohan was never ready for it.

Gokus entire plan was "if Gohan gets pushed into a corner he will turn it on and destroy cell"

It wasn't until cell was almost killing Gohan that piccolo worked out gokus plan, called him a complete idiot and told him it won't work, Gohan doesn't care if he gets backed into a corner. Gohan cares if his friends get backed into a corner.

Goku couldn't see that, piccolo could.

MikeMyers

Gohan didn't bitch out

tumblr_mdm8ymhTpl1rwwnbro5_1280.png

tumblr_mdm8ymhTpl1rwwnbro8_1280.png

tumblr_mdm8ymhTpl1rwwnbro9_1280.png

Doesn't change the fact that was his attitude in most of DBZ. He agreed to fight Vegeta, Ginyu Force, and Freeza. But against Cell he gets cold feet? Even in the Buu arc he openly wanted to fight Dabura. It makes no sense he didn't want

Don't forget he chickened out against Nappa and Vegeta at one point. He usually only jumped in when he saw his friends getting hurt so it wasn't that out of character. It's not like he ever had control of his rage boosts.There could have been some nice character development had he taken Cell out as SSJ2 on his own. However, like usual AT has to shoehorn Goku involvement and "help" Gohan gain the motivation to finish Cell just because he's the main character.

MikeMyers

Don't forget he chickened out against Nappa and Vegeta at one point. He usually only jumped in when he saw his friends getting hurt so it wasn't that out of character. It's not like he ever had control of his rage boosts.There could have been some nice character development had he taken Cell out as SSJ2 on his own. However, like usual AT has to shoehorn Goku involvement and "help" Gohan gain the motivation to finish Cell just because he's the main character.

He chickened out in the beginning of the Saiyan battle, but eventually he grew the courage to fight and he came to save his dad from Vegeta. Then he had no problems fighting after that, with the Cell battle being the exception.

The only time I like Gohan is early Buu arc, its pretty much the only time the damn guy has any personality outside of "dont make me mad because I got POTENTIALLLLLLL'

He chickened out in the beginning of the Saiyan battle, but eventually he grew the courage to fight and he came to save his dad from Vegeta. Then he had no problems fighting after that, with the Cell battle being the exception.

The only time I like Gohan is early Buu arc, its pretty much the only time the damn guy has any personality outside of "dont make me mad because I got POTENTIALLLLLLL'

The best version is easily Future Gohan considering he took on both androids with one arm and is clearly a fighter, which shows what the character could do if AT ever let him out of Goku's shadow.

Basically, that was what I wanted Gohan to turn into after seven years on his own. Instead what we got was a nerd who was stronger when he was a child who doesn't train and it thrown into the background yet again. What a wasted opportunity.

MikeMyers

I like Future Gohan too, and I like him as the Great Saiyaman.

I dislike both SSJ2 Kid Gohan and Mystic Gohan. Both cases he gets an instant power-up, turns into an arrogant mini-Vegeta until he starts to lose and Goku has to bail him out. It's no wonder why Toriyama ultimately deemed unfit to be a main character and wrote him out of the story, where the character was reduced to just a cameo in every DB product after the manga ended.

Having just rewatched the cell saga this is wrong.

Gohan didn't bitch out, Gohan was never ready for it.

Gokus entire plan was "if Gohan gets pushed into a corner he will turn it on and destroy cell"

It wasn't until cell was almost killing Gohan that piccolo worked out gokus plan, called him a complete idiot and told him it won't work, Gohan doesn't care if he gets backed into a corner. Gohan cares if his friends get backed into a corner.

Goku couldn't see that, piccolo could.

So maybe Gohan didn't bitch out.

There is still no difference between Goku and Piccolo's actions. Gohan's friends were always going to be backed into a corner because he doesn't care about himself being backed into a corner. That's exactly what happened. That's why Cell made the Cell Jrs. Android 16 was the final straw. So what did Goku do? He trained him so when he gets angry he could fight Cell toe to toe otherwise it would be a Freeza situation where he gets mad, but isn't strong enough to take down Freeza.

What did Piccolo do? He trained him against his will. Gohan still doesn't want to fight when the Saiyans first arrived until once again his friends are backed into a corner/dead.

So what is the difference between Goku and Piccolo? Gohan almost died in both instances. Goku and Piccolo were both wrong assuming that Gohan would fight for himself. Gohan only fought when something happened to his friends.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So maybe Gohan didn't bitch out.

There is still no difference between Goku and Piccolo's actions. Gohan's friends were always going to be backed into a corner because he doesn't care about himself being backed into a corner. That's exactly what happened. That's why Cell made the Cell Jrs. Android 16 was the final straw. So what did Goku do? He trained him so when he gets angry he could fight Cell toe to toe otherwise it would be a Freeza situation where he gets mad, but isn't strong enough to take down Freeza.

What did Piccolo do? He trained him against his will. Gohan still doesn't want to fight when the Saiyans first arrived until once again his friends are backed into a corner/dead.

So what is the difference between Goku and Piccolo? Gohan almost died in both instances. Goku and Piccolo were both wrong assuming that Gohan would fight for himself. Gohan only fought when something happened to his friends.

Piccolo knew Gohan, his own father didn't.
Can't recall earlier, but in the Cell saga Piccolo knew the bolded, Goku didn't

MikeMyers

Piccolo knew Gohan, his own father didn't.
Can't recall earlier, but in the Cell saga Piccolo knew the bolded, Goku didn't

But the reason why Piccolo knew that about Gohan is because he already tried to use Gohan as a weapon back in the Saiyan arc. He's no better.

Takao

Banned
Unless those shots are from the same animation directors it's kind of a pointless comparison.

This is why digital animation will never replace traditional. Give me back the blotchy ink, give me back the grain.

It already has? No major animation companies do cell animation anymore.

Krammy

It already has? No major animation companies do cell animation anymore.

I should've said, "Digital animation should have never replaced-", because you're right, it definitely has already. Although isn't Kill la Kill using traditional animation with CG touch-ups for backgrounds and the like?

Anyway, new Dragon Ball RPG that uses pixelart to boot!
Smartphones though.

Has there been any word on an English dub of Battle of Gods yet?

wow i can believe i watched this movie in the theathers a month ago(in the superior spanish dub obviously) and still no news for a english dub i feel bad for gaf and people in general wanting to watch this movie, why is taking too long?

Takao

Banned
I guess this is a good place to ask this, is the original Dragon Ball on blu ray? Are there any plans to release it, even in Japan? I'm not too interested in Z but I really like the original.

Wow, that comment is something else.
I nearly quit DBZ on this arc. Freaking adult Gohan.
Though to fair, sometimes I like to pretend the entire Buu Saga was filler like GT.

MikeMyers

Where is that Adult Gotenks from?

Though to fair, sometimes I like to pretend the entire Buu Saga was filler like GT.

How is it something else? Its the only time the dude has personality besides his attempts to act like Vegeta.

Takao

Banned
I guess this is a good place to ask this, is the original Dragon Ball on blu ray? Are there any plans to release it, even in Japan? I'm not too interested in Z but I really like the original.

Nothing at this time on a global scale.

They are dubbing a video game based on the movie. Makes me think it's going to happen.

They dubbed the video game tie-ins to the 2008 JSAT, Episode of Bardock, and Plan To Eradicate The Super Saiyans too.

Where is that Adult Gotenks from?

Dragon Ball Heroes ad

Yeah, it's an ani-manga.

Shame. Someone like Naho Ooishi doing their own take as a loose adaptation of the series could be pretty cool. Guess she's busy with Dragonball SD though.

The Saiyaman arc is one of the best things in all of Dragonball. High school Gohan is one of the best characters in the series.

Top Bottom