• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

jaxword

Who here liked the Bills movie? My GOD was it terrible especially for it being canon. I haven't watched any of the DBZ movies, but if they are like this than there is no point in watching them. GT was better than this crap.

How did Vegeta get more hits on Bills than SS3 Goku and Mysitc Gohan?

It's long established in DB lore that if someone is taken off-guard, they can take quite a beating from someone weaker. Bills had no real understanding that smacking Bulma would set Vegeta off like that.

Anth0ny

Who here liked the Bills movie? My GOD was it terrible especially for it being canon. I haven't watched any of the DBZ movies, but if they are like this than there is no point in watching them. GT was better than this crap.

I finally got around to watching Battle of Gods subtitled. I want to write a longer post on the film, but overall I think I enjoyed it. However... it was disappointing considering it was the first DBZ movie in god knows how long. There was a lot of hype going into it with Toriyama's involvement and all, and I don't think it managed to live up to that hype.

It was fun, but it was no Movie 9.

Ishida

Banned

As a HUGE Dragon Ball fan I thought the Battle of the gods movie was absolute trash. I was very disappointed....

jaxword

As a HUGE Dragon Ball fan I thought the Battle of the gods movie was absolute trash. I was very disappointed....

You must hate early DB.

Toriyama has made it clear since like 2000 that he wanted to return to gag-based storytelling.

I love DBZ, but that's what the man wants.

MikeMyers

You must hate early DB.

Toriyama has made it clear since like 2000 that he wanted to return to gag-based storytelling.

Not that I agree with this opinion, but a lot of Western fans do hate early DB. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as popular as Z.

jaxword

D4QMWjh.jpg

Branson

So I'm getting more and more interested in Kai. Every time I look up a video on YouTube with it the English dub is outstanding. I go back to my dragon boxes to watch the English dub and it kind of bugs me nowadays. Is Kai worth picking up on Blu-Ray? I'm super interested in the better dub with cursing and all of that intact.

Giolon

So I'm getting more and more interested in Kai. Every time I look up a video on YouTube with it the English dub is outstanding. I go back to my dragon boxes to watch the English dub and it kind of bugs me nowadays. Is Kai worth picking up on Blu-Ray? I'm super interested in the better dub with cursing and all of that intact.

I bought Kai on Blu-Ray last year, and I'm absolutely glad I did. Having a consistent dub is nice, but the best part is that it moves along at a great pace. Nobody spends an entire episode or more powering up. All of the filler bloat is gone. Unfortunately, it ends after the Cell games, but there were reports from ANN that Kai was being continued for markets outside of Japan and comments from the US VA's that they were recording for the Buu arc. I haven't seen any news about any of this in about a year though.

The only downside I'd say is that removing the filler can make it fill like you don't have as much of an emotional connection to some of the characters as you might have before. Someone will show up and get killed off or disposed of within the same episode - I think Frieza's 3rd form was only around for like 1 episode. Even though the in-universe time that's passed isn't much different, I find that simply being exposed to characters in longer real-time terms gives me a greater affinity for them.

All-in-all, the ability to get through the content and see all the cool moments in less time is worth it.

Hurley

Kai is fantastic in regards to the dub, it just fucking sucks they had to replace the music for the android (i think) and cell saga.

I bought cell saga recently and it's hard to watch, the music just doesn't match, like they just threw it in there and didn't segment it properly or something. I guess if you're a fan of the original Z Japanese score it might not matter so much though.

I'm curious as to who will be doing the music for the Buu saga.

Branson

I bought Kai on Blu-Ray last year, and I'm absolutely glad I did. Having a consistent dub is nice, but the best part is that it moves along at a great pace. Nobody spends an entire episode or more powering up. All of the filler bloat is gone. Unfortunately, it ends after the Cell games, but there were reports from ANN that Kai was being continued for markets outside of Japan and comments from the US VA's that they were recording for the Buu arc. I haven't seen any news about any of this in about a year though.

The only downside I'd say is that removing the filler can make it fill like you don't have as much of an emotional connection to some of the characters as you might have before. Someone will show up and get killed off or disposed of within the same episode - I think Frieza's 3rd form was only around for like 1 episode. Even though the in-universe time that's passed isn't much different, I find that simply being exposed to characters in longer real-time terms gives me a greater affinity for them.

All-in-all, the ability to get through the content and see all the cool moments in less time is worth it.
Cool. I've enjoyed my Dragon Boxes but since Kai is supposed to be different I feel like I could dig it too. Nowadays a tighter experience sounds pretty good to me with a more faithful dub.

I actually enjoyed the Japanese score fine since it felt like it fit better with the series on the DBs. The nostalgia comes from the scenes really for me and not the music.

Dem screams in Kai tho. So much more impressive. I guess that comes with them having better voice actors and the originals having like 10 years of acting under them.

Ishida

Banned
You must hate early DB.

False, in fact the early Dragon Ball is my favorite of all the sagas. That doesn't change the fact that Battle of the Gods was pure, hot garbage.

Hurley

Cool. I've enjoyed my Dragon Boxes but since Kai is supposed to be different I feel like I could dig it too. Nowadays a tighter experience sounds pretty good to me with a more faithful dub.

I actually enjoyed the Japanese score fine since it felt like it fit better with the series on the DBs. The nostalgia comes from the scenes really for me and not the music.

Dem screams in Kai tho. So much more impressive. I guess that comes with them having better voice actors and the originals having like 10 years of acting under them.

The score in it's own right is fine, it's just how they added it back in. You'll see what I mean when you get to it. it's also kind of jarring going from the new score they had until just after the Frieza saga, to then reverting back to the original score that's just been hamfisted back in there.

I do appreciate the breaks in music now though, it's refreshing from the constant barrage of faulconer even though I do like some of his tracks. It just gives the actors a chance to shine and adds more to the atmosphere imo when in some scenes it's suppose to be a tense moment and you can't hear anything other then a brief gust of wind or something.

Personally, I can't wait until the Buu saga airs.

Branson

The score in it's own right is fine, it's just how they added it back in. You'll see what I mean when you get to it. it's also kind of jarring going from the new score they had until just after the Frieza saga, to then reverting back to the original score that's just been hamfisted back in there.

I do appreciate the breaks in music now though, it's refreshing from the constant barrage of faulconer even though I do like some of his tracks. It just gives the actors a chance to shine and adds more to the atmosphere imo when in some scenes it's suppose to be a tense moment and you can't hear anything other then a brief gust of wind or something.

I do like his tracks too. I just recently watched some of the series up to Frieza with all Japanese music and really came to like the parts without music and thought it added more to the scene than constant drum beats and guitar synth.

injurai

Banned
Is it true Toriyama will be creating a new series following the developments that occurred in Battle of the Gods?

A friend of mine told me a 200 episode series is planned to continue DBZ canon, essentially ignoring everything in GT.

jaxword

Is it true Toriyama will be creating a new series following the developments that occurred in Battle of the Gods?

A friend of mine told me a 200 episode series is planned to continue DBZ canon, essentially ignoring everything in GT.

I have that same friend, his uncle works for Nintendo and they have the Nintendo 1433433333 already.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

I've seen a stupid image macro on facebook saying the same exact thing.

Anth0ny

The original composer for Kai, Kenji Yamamoto, was caught plagiarizing music for his Kai score. Read more about it here.

Yamamoto's score was actually in Kai until I believe episode 96 (out of 99) during the original broadcast of the show in Japan. Then all the accusations came up, and Toei was forced to pull the music. Fast.

So they threw the Kikuchi music (from the original Dragon Ball Z) in there for the last couple of episodes, the 96 previously aired episodes got the music swap for reruns, and I think only a couple of blu rays were released in North America with Yamamoto's score. They were quickly re-released with the Kikichi score, and every thing after Freeza is only available with Kikichi's score.

It was very blatantly a rush job, which is why you are feeling the way you are about it being added back in. Like they just asked an intern to quickly pick songs off some BGM CD, and put the ones that sound kinda appropriate into the scene! It is definitely jarring, because Kikuchi's music was obviously composed for the slower, more methodical pace of DBZ, and not the crazy fast pace of Kai.

I'm almost certain that the Buu Kai episodes, if those ever happen, will include Kikuchi's score as well. Hopefully they put a little more effort into fitting the appropriate pieces in... but I doubt it.

Hurley

Still need to see Battle of the Gods. This reminded me I need to watch it. xD

I finally got around to watching it, but it had...weird subs.

When Goku used a kamehameha it said "Turtle..Pie...Gas..Powerwave!"

And King Kai is apparently afraid of someone named "Bob Andrews"

Yeah, I need to get new subs.

I finally got around to watching it, but it had...weird subs.

When Goku used a kamehameha it said "Turtle..Pie...Gas..Powerwave!"

And King Kai is apparently afraid of someone named "Bob Andrews"

Yeah, I need to get new subs.

Hahaha. That's just silly. Like this.

tumblr_m5edrqxoxK1rx8jdso1_500.gif

Omni

I just don't see how SSJ2 Vegeta "surpasses" SSJ3 Goku in Battle of Gods. It makes no sense to me. If Vegeta can output that much power in SSJ2 then what's the point in transforming at all?

And then they make the whole thing redundant again by saying that Goku absorbed SSJG powers... It's like what was the point of it all?

Hurley

I just don't see how SSJ2 Vegeta "surpasses" SSJ3 Goku in Battle of Gods. It makes no sense to me. If Vegeta can output that much power in SSJ2 then what's the point in transforming at all?

And then they make the whole thing redundant again by saying that Goku absorbed SSJG powers... It's like what was the point of it all?

It was basically a Gohan rage boost moment for Vegeta.

I don't think Vegeta is now above SSJ3 Goku, but he was for a brief instant.

Anth0ny

That really bothered me too. I understand the whole "Saiyan rage" thing, but surpassing SSJ3 is a little much.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to transform into SSJ3 at that point? Rage + training = transformation in DBZ, and as far as we know Vegeta trains pretty much 24/7. SSJ3 Vegeta laying the smackdown on Bills would have been a little more believable to me.

MikeMyers

It's pretty odd but it's not like either the manga and anime have shyed away from that before. Base Goku in GT was easily fighting SSJ Gohan and Goten, while Base Future Gohan was easily beating SSJ Trunks in the manga.

I guess you could put it like this: Even an Ivysaur can beat a Venusaur if the former is Level 100 and the latter is Level 32.

Anth0ny

It's pretty odd but it's not like either the manga and anime have shyed away from that before. Base Goku in GT was easily fighting SSJ Gohan and Goten, while Base Future Gohan was easily beating SSJ Trunks in the manga.

I guess you could put it like this: Even an Ivysaur can beat a Venusaur if the former is Level 100 and the latter is Level 32.

The way I see it is like this:

Even if a level 32 Ivysaur (Vegeta) lands a critical hit (Saiyan rage), it's still not going to do much damage against a level 100 Venusaur (Bills).

did i really just make that comparison

MikeMyers

Well the SolarBeam is similar to the Spirit Bomb, bother gather energy and take a long time but are strong attacks.

Speaking of which I got a 3DS. Gonna join the X&Y craze soon.

Hurley

That really bothered me too. I understand the whole "Saiyan rage" thing, but surpassing SSJ3 is a little much.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to transform into SSJ3 at that point? Rage + training = transformation in DBZ, and as far as we know Vegeta trains pretty much 24/7. SSJ3 Vegeta laying the smackdown on Bills would have been a little more believable to me.

You would think so.

Maybe there's a rule that Vegeta isn't allowed to have SSJ3 unless it's in a video game.

Omni

You would think so.

Maybe there's a rule that Vegeta isn't allowed to have SSJ3 unless it's in a video game.

Maybe they realised that there was no way to beat Goku's first 5 minute SSJ3 transformation and decided not to bother...

Hah.

jaxword

Seriously, the series is full of examples of weaker people, in a moment of rage or opportunity, landing blows on a far stronger opponent. I listed a ton just last page.

ElFly

The way I see it, all the SSJ3 transformation does is making easier to expel ki and use your energy, which is why alive goku had trouble keeping it up at the end of the bu saga, it just puts too much strain on the body.

SSJ2 is just more balanced, and Vegeta in a moment of blind rage, was capable of outputting more energy for just a second, but his SSJ2 transformation cannot keep up that energy output, it is balanced for longer fights.

Top Bottom