• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

Hi guys,

this may not be the appropriate place to post this, but I wanted to reach out specifically to Dragon Ball fans, and this seems like the most active thread. I'm in a bit of a housing emergency. My girlfriend, toddler, and myself are living at her parents house. Well, the house we share with her parents is being foreclosed. Therefore, we need to find a new apartment fast. I have a few things I'm selling on ebay for some quick, extra cash. Every dollar goes towards first/last/security for our new home...

First, I'm selling my Daizenshuu set, which also comes with the 30th Anniversary book, and Super Art book. The only books missing from the set are the cardass books. Great art in these guys....
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112529496465?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Next is my Chris Sabat autographed Piccolo print. Even comes with a picture of him signing it as proof of authenticity
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112531061377?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Also, the Golden Warrior art book, along with Akira Toryiama- The World
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112533679805?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

And last, my Goku "The Saga Continues" figures, along with a Super Battle Collection Trunks
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112533668263?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Sorry for the intrusion... Thanks for looking guys!

Why the fuck didn't King Kai teach that technique to all the Z fighters he had on his planet? Piccolo, Tien, even fucking Yamcha could have been way more useful if they knew that shit.

Piccolo I could at least understand since he almost immediately got resurrected and didn't want to take part in training.

My best guess is since Toriyama doubled down on the Power Scaling immediately in the next arc, he just didn't want to bother with giving them any new techniques.

That is what I said. Goku copied King Champa's Eight Fist technique. Tien's Four Witches wasn't copied and is in fact a racial trait of his alien descendant.

The Multi-form isn't racial. Tien learned it off scene during the time skip between the King Piccolo Saga and the 23rd tournament.

Also, who says it took Goku three years? Also, Krillin did it in one is factually wrong since Krillin say the Solar Flare the same time Goku did and he didn't do it until Namek. Meaning it took Krillin nine years.

Goku a distance third....yeah:

Learned the Kamehameha just by seeing it once. It took Krillin over three years despite seeing the Kamehameha used several times.

Learned the After Image after seeing Jackie Chun used it against Krillin. Krillin didn't make his first After Image until the 22nd tournament against Goku.

Jackie Chun used a double After Image against Goku, Goku copies it and did one better by making three.

Goku copied King Champa's Eight Fists technique from the preliminaries and used it against Tien's Four Witches technique. What made this funny was at first, everyone thought Goku was going to copy the Four Witches technique.

Goku copied Krillin's Destructo Disk when Tien hasn't, and this is despite a lot of the cast knowing it like Vegeta and 18.

Tien in comparison copied the Kamehameha, After Image (still got outplayed by Goku when he tried to used it), and the Evil Containment Wave. So Tien have three copied techniques to his name while Goku has five. Six if we want to count the Super manga giving Goku Haki.

Ok then on Champa.
krillin was just a way to toss your only example so far.
That said, Tien ran into exactly 4 OP techniques before Toriyama forgot him[all the rest being his own] He mastered 3 instantly. He was dropped before he could really use Kienzan, and it was arguable how OP it is.
Course Goku had more opportunity to copy. Quantity does not equal quality.
But we do have a direct comp on the table. Kamehame ha. Goku took perhaps his entire time at kame house to perfect it, meanwhile instant with Tien.
You can argue its Goku's first Ki ability, but its the one comparison we have. That and multi form. But who's was better was probably less about mastery and more about strength.
There's also the fact the show itself told us this fact about Tien and did not refute it. And this argument of yours is simple speculation on your part to explain why it hasn't reappeared when the real answer is, of course, Toriyama forgot.
That, and why wouldn't Goku use/learn tribeam, flight, and Solar flare if he was so good at copying? Solar flare he debuts 3 years later, was there no time this would have been useful against king piccolo?
Flight really would have saved his ass for sure. But nothing.

HeroR

Ok then on Champa.
krillin was just a way to toss your only example so far.
That said, Tien ran into exactly 4 OP techniques before Toriyama forgot him[all the rest being his own] He mastered 3 instantly. He was dropped before he could really use Kienzan, and it was arguable how OP it is.
Course Goku had more opportunity to copy. Quantity does not equal quality.
But we do have a direct comp on the table. Kamehame ha. Goku took perhaps his entire time at kame house to perfect it, meanwhile instant with Tien.
You can argue its Goku's first Ki ability, but its the one comparison we have. That and multi form. But who's was better was probably less about mastery and more about strength.
There's also the fact the show itself told us this fact about Tien and did not refute it. And this argument of yours is simple speculation on your part to explain why it hasn't reappeared when the real answer is, of course, Toriyama forgot.
That, and why wouldn't Goku use/learn tribeam, flight, and Solar flare if he was so good at copying? Solar flare he debuts 3 years later, was there no time this would have been useful against king piccolo?
Flight really would have saved his ass for sure. But nothing.

What four are you talking about? Evil Containment Wave isn't even OP since it kills the users and needs a container and seal to work. Tien didn't even used it the manga since he broke the rice cooker. And Goku learned the Kienzan, despite never seeing it on scene until Cell, so Tien really have no excuse for that one since he saw that battle with Cell too.

"Course Goku had more opportunity to copy. Quantity does not equal quality". That is so moving the bar since most of the techniques Goku copied was doing the timeframe Tien was relevant to the story outside the Kamehameha and After Image, both that he copied.

No he didn't. Goku didn't used the Kamehameha again until the 21st tournament with Jackie Chun. Krillin didn't even know Goku could do it and they trained together the entire time. So the last time Goku used it before then was to blow a small hole in Pilaf's castle and that was his second Kamehameha. Goku used the Kamehameha not even seconds after seeing it. It was extremely weak since Goku himself was extremely weak. Compared to Tien who has been training with a high-skilled master for years and was stronger than kid Goku.

Not sure why you brought up the Multiform since Goku never used it. The people who did are Piccolo and Krillin in the anime.

It wasn't the show that told us that he can copy, Tien said it himself. However, his copy ability has shown to be more limited than Goku's or even Kid Buu who copied teleportation, something that not even Goku could do. Also, you saying, "real answer is, of course, Toriyama forgot", is also simple speculation on your part since you don't have any proof to back it.

Tri-Beam drains one life energy, so why would Goku copied such a thing. The Kaioken when properly mastered and used doesn't kill. The Tri-Beam drains your life regardless of mastery.

Why didn't Goku used the Solar Flare against King Piccolo? Better question, why didn't Tien use it, especially when Drum was beating his ass in?

Flight, Goku was holding it back as his ace during the 23 tournament, unless you believed he didn't learned to fly until Piccolo disable his legs. Flight is also less about copy and more about learning to float with your ki.

Fact is, Goku has far more copied abilities to his name then Tien, despite it being his gimmick. Which wasn't even much of a gimmick to begin with since Goku was doing that for years. In fact, Master Roshi did the Drunken Fist during the 21st tournament because Goku couldn't copy it since he has never been drunk before.

TreIII

"Out of action" doesn't necessarily mean eliminated, maybe he was just in their way? I just really want these Namekians to clash with Gohan and Piccolo - Hoping they're "bad guys" too.

I hope they're not evil, but I do hope they have an entirely different disposition compared to U7 Nameks. Maybe U6 Namek didn't go through a near planet-wide extinction event, meaning a larger and healthier warrior class that could focus on training and inventing new techs, instead of staying weak because their numbers were so small. I need that "Red Eyes" power up from DBO to become canon, and Piccolo-San to get something new.

Also, it'd be nice if that Jump cover that had Gohan in Namekian garb was a sign leading up to this.

Heero5

Hi guys,

this may not be the appropriate place to post this, but I wanted to reach out specifically to Dragon Ball fans, and this seems like the most active thread. I'm in a bit of a housing emergency. My girlfriend, toddler, and myself are living at her parents house. Well, the house we share with her parents is being foreclosed. Therefore, we need to find a new apartment fast. I have a few things I'm selling on ebay for some quick, extra cash. Every dollar goes towards first/last/security for our new home...

First, I'm selling my Daizenshuu set, which also comes with the 30th Anniversary book, and Super Art book. The only books missing from the set are the cardass books. Great art in these guys....
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112529496465?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Next is my Chris Sabat autographed Piccolo print. Even comes with a picture of him signing it as proof of authenticity
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112531061377?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Also, the Golden Warrior art book, along with Akira Toryiama- The World
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112533679805?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

And last, my Goku "The Saga Continues" figures, along with a Super Battle Collection Trunks
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112533668263?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

Sorry for the intrusion... Thanks for looking guys!
Wow! Those toys a hitting me right in the nostalgia, awesome Piccolo/Sabat pic to. GLWTS!

Skeeter49

Tien only practiced the Evil Containment Wave, never used it in battle in the manga. It was never said that the Evil Containment Wave kills by practice. And it was never said anywhere that Tien perfect it.
Also I think Piccolo said the only reason Tien survived was because he fucked up the Mafuba, with Piccolo destroying the container. .

HardRojo

Hi guys,

Hope it all goes well! That's a nice collection and those figures hit right in the childhood.

What four are you talking about? Evil Containment Wave isn't even OP since it kills the users and needs a container and seal to work. Tien didn't even used it the manga since he broke the rice cooker. And Goku learned the Kienzan, despite never seeing it on scene until Cell, so Tien really have no excuse for that one since he saw that battle with Cell too.

"Course Goku had more opportunity to copy. Quantity does not equal quality". That is so moving the bar since most of the techniques Goku copied was doing the timeframe Tien was relevant to the story outside the Kamehameha and After Image, both that he copied.

No he didn't. Goku didn't used the Kamehameha again until the 21st tournament with Jackie Chun. Krillin didn't even know Goku could do it and they trained together the entire time. So the last time Goku used it before then was to blow a small hole in Pilaf's castle and that was his second Kamehameha. Goku used the Kamehameha not even seconds after seeing it. It was extremely weak since Goku himself was extremely weak. Compared to Tien who has been training with a high-skilled master for years and was stronger than kid Goku.

Not sure why you brought up the Multiform since Goku never used it. The people who did are Piccolo and Krillin in the anime.

It wasn't the show that told us that he can copy, Tien said it himself. However, his copy ability has shown to be more limited than Goku's or even Kid Buu who copied teleportation, something that not even Goku could do. Also, you saying, "real answer is, of course, Toriyama forgot", is also simple speculation on your part since you don't have any proof to back it.

Tri-Beam drains one life energy, so why would Goku copied such a thing. The Kaioken when properly mastered and used doesn't kill. The Tri-Beam drains your life regardless of mastery.

Why didn't Goku used the Solar Flare against King Piccolo? Better question, why didn't Tien use it, especially when Drum was beating his ass in?

Flight, Goku was holding it back as his ace during the 23 tournament, unless you believed he didn't learned to fly until Piccolo disable his legs. Flight is also less about copy and more about learning to float with your ki.

Fact is, Goku has far more copied abilities to his name then Tien, despite it being his gimmick. Which wasn't even much of a gimmick to begin with since Goku was doing that for years. In fact, Master Roshi did the Drunken Fist during the 21st tournament because Goku couldn't copy it since he has never been drunk before.

Goku's first kamehame was a fart of wind, his second a spit. Considering he was copying the 100 max kamehame, that was not mastering the technique. It was a rough ass prototype. At best his tournament one was his first competent one.

Flight is funny, because its the easiest technique ever conceived, especially as the show goes on, yet Goku lost a tourney and almost died to king Piccolo because the king of mimicry couldn't replicate it easily.

Toriyama forgot is not speculation. Besides holding back Cell, Tien hasn't been part of the plot since.
The absence of proof is not proof something doesn't work. Just like how the Mafuba came back in to play, Toriyama just remembered it was a thing... And there was actual evidence that was defunct.

Again, point is, this was an ability given to Tien and demonstrated several times. Goku's was too, but it was never claimed to be as good as Tiens, much less surpassing it. They downplay his copy work after Tien is introduced if anything, as solar flare is the last real example of it short of kienzan much much later. it quickly became way more apparent it was an ability missing in action way more often as time went on for him. Cause Goku certainly was never forgotten, or left out of the plot.

HeroR

Goku's first kamehame was a fart of wind, his second a spit. Considering he was copying the 100 max kamehame, that was not mastering the technique. It was a rough ass prototype. At best his tournament one was his first competent one.

Flight is funny, because its the easiest technique ever conceived, especially as the show goes on, yet Goku lost a tourney and almost died to king Piccolo because the king of mimicry couldn't replicate it easily.

Toriyama forgot is not speculation. Besides holding back Cell, Tien hasn't been part of the plot since.
The absence of proof is not proof something doesn't work. Just like how the Mafuba came back in to play, Toriyama just remembered it was a thing... And there was actual evidence that was defunct.

Again, point is, this was an ability given to Tien and demonstrated several times. Goku's was too, but it was never claimed to be as good as Tiens, much less surpassing it. They downplay his copy work after Tien is introduced if anything, as solar flare is the last real example of it short of kienzan much much later. it quickly became way more apparent it was an ability missing in action way more often as time went on for him. Cause Goku certainly was never forgotten, or left out of the plot.

A fart that destroyed a car and the second Kamehameha was done when he was weakened by hunger. He still copied it. It didn't match Roshi's because Goku was way weaker than Roshi. He couldn't even hurt the Ox King when he learned the Kamehameha.

That is you making assumptions about flight since Goten could go as easily, but couldn't fly. Roshi is an old master who learned the Evil Containment Wave from seeing it done once and he still can't fly. Tao who was one of Tien's masters, can't fly. So please stop usinimg your headcanon and actually look at the manga.

And you mock Goku for not using the Solar Flare against Piccolo, when the freaking creator never bothered. Which makes Tien far more pitiful here.

Also, I never once called Goku the king of copying, so keep out the hypobolic. If anyone is the king of copying, it's Kid Buu since he copied teleportation from a Kai.

Toriyama being forgetful is a known fact. You assuming he forgot Tien can copy is you guessing. Unless you can bring up hard proof that Toriyama forgot, that is speculation and the burden of proof is on you since you made the statement.

It was never claimed that Tien was better either. No matter how you slice it, Tien only have three copied techniques to his name and all of them have been copied or learned by Goku and Goku copied more than him. Tien's gimmick was never impressive next to Goku even in his introduction since he copied the Kamehameha and the After Image. Woohoo, Goku did that years ago. The only impressive thing he copied was the Evil Containment Wave, something Roshi managed to do and he isn't known for copying.

In comparison, Goku's copy ability was so well known that Roshi used a technquie to negate it and Tien and everyone thought Goku was and could copy Tien's Four Witches technique.

HardRojo

I really wish they would do one expanding Future Trunks battle with Babidi and Dabura.

Or one about whatever the fuck he is supposed to be doing now. I wonder if he'll just live somewhere else and avoid contacting Bulma and his other self, or run with it and live together with them.

A fart that destroyed a car and the second Kamehameha was done when he was weakened by hunger. He still copied it. It didn't match Roshi's because Goku was way weaker than Roshi. He couldn't even hurt the Ox King when he learned the Kamehameha.

That is you making assumptions about flight since Goten could go as easily, but couldn't fly. Roshi is an old master who learned the Evil Containment Wave from seeing it done once and he still can't fly. Tao who was one of Tien's masters, can't fly. So please stop usinimg your headcanon and actually look at the manga.

And you mock Goku for not using the Solar Flare against Piccolo, when the freaking creator never bothered. Which makes Tien far more pitiful here.

Toriyama being forgetful is a known fact. You assuming he forgot Tien can copy is you guessing. Unless you can bring up hard proof that Toriyama forgot, that is speculation and the burden of proof is on you since you made the statement.

It was never claimed that Tien was better either. No matter how you slice it, Tien only have three copied techniques to his name and all of them have been copied or learned by Goku and Goku copied more than him. Tien gimmick was never impressive next to Goku even in his introduction since he copied the Kamehameha and the After Image. Woohoo, Goku did that years ago. The only impressive thing he copied was the Evil Containment Wave, something Roshi managed to do and he isn't known for copying.

In comparison, Goku's copy ability was so well known that Roshi used a technquie to negate it and Tien and everyone thought Goku was and could copy Tien's Four Witches technique.

An economy smart car looking thing, he was trying to replicate something that destroyed a castle. No matter how weak Goku was, only denting a car was not a strength issue. The castle maybe. Ill give you that ones iffy.

Assumptions about flight? How bout you taking the one or two examples of it being difficult, over every last moron in friezas army, even the ones without their own beam attacks knowing it?
I don't know why you keep bringing up solar flare, period. Your favorite move?
Toriyama wrote he could copy anything by seeing it, not me, the burden is actually on him to disprove it.
Which is why I really don't get why we're having this argument. Its your headcannon vs the creator's word.
Bring it up with him.

HeroR

An economy smart car looking thing, he was trying to replicate something that destroyed a castle. No matter how weak Goku was, only denting a car was not a strength issue. The castle maybe. Ill give you that ones iffy.

Assumptions about flight? How bout you taking the one or two examples of it being difficult, over every last moron in friezas army, even the ones without their own beam attacks knowing it?
I don't know why you keep bringing up solar flare, period. Your favorite move?
Toriyama wrote he could copy anything by seeing it, not me, the burden is actually on him to disprove it.
Which is why I really don't get why we're having this argument. Its your headcannon vs the creator's word.
Bring it up with him.

Goku couldn't replicate Roshi destroying a flaming mountain even if he mastered the Kamehameha because he didn't have the power. It had nothing to do with mastery. The power of a Kamehameha varies on the strength of the user. Krillin mastered the Kamehameha, yet his Kamehameha would be vastly inferior to Goku's who can probably destroy the universe.

Again, old Master Roshi. He invented the Kamehameha, learned the Evil Containment Wave upon seeing it once, and has a boatload of other techniques, but can't fly. So flight being easy was never claimed. Frieza's soldiers being able to do it isn't proof of ease since even the fodder on Frieza's army were too-tier in the universe.

You're the one who said Goku didn't used the Solar Flare against King Piccolo and how useful that would be. I fire back that Tien, the inventor, didn't do it and how helpful that would be, but you decided to back down from that point and mention flight.

And we know that was exaggerating on Tien's part since he had shown that he can't copy everything he sees even when he was part of the story. So yes, burden of proof is on you.

I bring up stuff from the manga, while you make speculations about what Toriyama supposedly forgotten that Tien can copy anything, when he didn't even copy everything in his introduction and Goku's copy ability was shown to be superior.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Another Gohan episode so soon?

Pinch me

I suppose it's not too surprising given his role as the second lead for most of the arc already. Coupled with last week's VJump tease I imagine he'll be present quite a bit going forward too.

Goku couldn't replicate Roshi destroying a flaming mountain even if he mastered the Kamehameha because he didn't have the power. It had nothing to do with mastery. The power of a Kamehameha varies on the strength of the user. Krillin mastered the Kamehameha, yet his Kamehameha would be vastly inferior to Goku's who can probably destroy the universe.

Again, old Master Roshi. He invented the Kamehameha, learned the Evil Containment Wave upon seeing it once, and has a boatload of other techniques, but can't fly. So flight being easy was never claimed. Frieza's soldiers being able to do it isn't proof of ease since even the fodder on Frieza's army were too-tier in the universe.

You're the one who said Goku didn't used the Solar Flare against King Piccolo and how useful that would be. I fire back that Tien, the inventor, didn't do it and how helpful that would be, but you decided to back down from that point and mention flight.

And we know that was exaggerating on Tien's part since he had shown that he can't copy everything he sees even when he was part of the story. So yes, burden of proof is on you.

I bring up stuff from the manga, while you make speculations about what Toriyama supposedly forgotten that Tien can copy anything, when he didn't even copy everything in his introduction and Goku's copy ability was shown to be superior.

Bring up the part from the manga where Tien is presented as a master of copying techniques and then Goku does nothing to challenge that, while Tien basically copies the only real techniques in his repetoire at the time. Or the part where they make it look like he copied one of Tiens moves, but its actually chompas. Or, when copying one of Tiens techniques would have won him the tourney with ease... He doesn't.
See this why you're the one making up cannon. This is how Toriyama wrote it. You grabbing everything before and claiming it proves it wrong doesn't make any sense. The framing clearly puts it that way. And Tien not grabbing up moves like pokemon after doesn't disprove it either. Just like how Goku didn't suddenly not know Kaioken because he didn't use it since Frieza, until noted otherwise, Tien can copy anything. Why he doesn't is speculative.

Flight is stated to be easy enough that any person can learn to do it, by Gohan. Goten learned to fly in one day,and videl not much longer. Master Roshi, who has been training for a long ass time, should easily be able to learn to fly , since his energy control skills should be much higher than theirs .

Iirc roshi doesn't fly because crane hermit "invented" the technique...or something to that effect, idrk

HeroR

Bring up the part from the manga where Tien is presented as a master of copying techniques and then Goku does nothing to challenge that, while Tien basically copies the only real techniques in his repetoire at the time. Or the part where they make it look like he copied one of Tiens moves, but its actually chompas. Or, when copying one of Tiens techniques would have won him the tourney with ease... He doesn't.
See this why you're the one making up cannon. This is how Toriyama wrote it. You grabbing everything before and claiming it proves it wrong doesn't make any sense. The framing clearly puts it that way. And Tien not grabbing up moves like pokemon after doesn't disprove it either. Just like how Goku didn't suddenly not know Kaioken because he didn't use it since Frieza, until noted otherwise, Tien can copy anything. Why he doesn't is speculative.

Tien being the "master of copy" is said no where in the manga. All Tien said was that he can easily copy techniques like the Kamehameha. If you're going to make a point, at least don't make stuff up. Tien also fought Yamcha, but didn't bother to copy the Wolf Fang Fist. He also didn't copy Roshi's hypnotism, despite him seeing the fight with Man Wolf. Instead, he copied two techniques that we saw Goku copied three years ago. And Goku couldn't copy the Four Witches since it's literally a racial move. Flying is more ki control than copying, but I never claimed Goku can copy everything like you're pushing with Tien.

You're the one making up canon by claiming Tien is a copy master when no such statements exist any where and it was a boost from Tien saying that he can easily copied no level stuff like the Kamehameha. And, pet peeve, it's canon not 'cannon'.

"Tien can copy anything", is quite frankly your hesdcanon disproven several times in the manga, which you try to hand wave as 'Toriyama forgot'.

Flight is stated to be easy enough that any person can learn to do it, by Gohan. Goten learned to fly in one day,and videl not much longer. Master Roshi, who has been training for a long ass time, should easily be able to learn to fly , since his energy control skills should be much higher than theirs .

Iirc roshi doesn't fly because crane hermit "invented" the technique...or something to that effect, idrk

Gohan called it easy, compared to going Super Saiyan, not that it was the easiest thing in the world to learn. Gohan also said anyone can use ki, yet look at how many ki users existed in early Dragon Ball. Goten and Videl had to be taught ti fly, they just didn't pick it up watching others do it.

Red Devil

That's more likely it, although one has to wonder why Tao Pai Pai didn't fly, maybe he preferred his method to not waste energy or something. He could've probably done it too if he had wanted.

Skeeter49

That's more likely it, although one has to wonder why Tao Pai Pai didn't fly, maybe he preferred his method to not waste energy or something. He could've probably done it too if he had wanted.

No one would take him seriously with a "Kill you" shirt if he was flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom