• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutger

Banned
Manga Black had plenty of depth. He was a whiny little man child like Cell who cried when things went wrong.

He was the God version of Cell.

Which is why he sucked.

You say this as if Frieza didn't also freak out when he realized he was defeated? Hell, Frieza was begging Goku to spare him, Cell just went right to his next plan of attack that was far closer to working than what Frieza tried.

Cell is still the best villain.

HeroR

You say this as if Frieza didn't also freak out when he realized he was defeated? Hell, Frieza was begging Goku to spare him, Cell just went right to his next plan of attack that was far closer to working than what Frieza tried.

Cell is still the best villain.

Cell tried to committee suicide the moment he got his shit kicked in and only survived by dumb luck. He also caused his own downfall because he had to piss Gohan off.

Funi recast Hit for the Super dub! He's going to be voiced by the awesome Matthew Mercer now!

Cool, but I honestly didn't mind his Xenoverse actor. I think he could've done well with actual vocal direction instead of just reading a script with no context.

caliph95

STAR PLATINUM DA WORLD!!
2UmgoDWDXIAdBEQcWVqEmyUUadB4lWoF0yL8f_jjCtrAEQ1MDU4njpL8y-DsmzDwq5hnfWaaaOmWERjNbPvVTbcAbnJH8CjN-8kGs5Rfcc9bbldM0-kHpt1UD6tADBs8cCB02xrNhTtNLc5Uyt8cVhiL=w400-h260-nc

Rutger

Banned
Funi recast Hit for the Super dub! He's going to be voiced by the awesome Matthew Mercer now!
I'm okay with this.
Cell tried to committee suicide the moment he got his shit kicked in and only survived by dumb luck. He also caused his own downfall because he had to piss Gohan off.

And Frieza caused his own downfall by toying with everyone and just sitting in his chair for most of Namik, as well as killing Krillin out of spite just to piss Goku off. He also survived Namik by dumb luck.

caliph95

Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIGIKhoUAAIrZ9y.jpg[/img]
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIGIKh_VwAAGj2P.jpg[/img]
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIGIKiBVwAAqzjb.jpg[/img]
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIGJuzhXUAAiqer.jpg[/img]
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIGJu1AXgAAvn30.jpg[/img]

HeroR

I'm okay with this.

And Frieza caused his own downfall by toying with everyone and just sitting in his chair for most of Namik, as well as killing Krillin out of spite just to piss Goku off. He also survived Namik by dumb luck.

Frieza had no idea making Goku mad would make him 50x stronger, while Cell actively provoked Gohan after being warn that was a very bad idea.

And at least Frieza had men doing his dirty work while stood like statue doing nothing for eleven days. Probably counting clouds.

NZerker12

I hope Chris Ayers gets better soon he is awesome as Frieza and would be awesome to see his interactions with his brother in the TOP arc.

Neoxon

I'm more than okay with this. I guess Richard Epcar isn't the only one taking over Toonami.

Don't know who he voiced in the past but sounds good.
Matthew Mercer? He voices Jotaro, McCree, Yusuke, Captain Levi, Fei Long, & a shit-ton of other characters.

If you mean Hit, he was previously voiced by Aaron Roberts in Xenoverse 2.

Rutger

Banned
Frieza had no idea making Goku mad would make him 50x stronger, while Cell actively provoked Gohan after being warn that was a very bad idea.

And at least Frieza had men doing his dirty work while stood like statue doing nothing for eleven days. Probably counting clouds.

Frieza had no reason to risk it, this is the same guy that destroyed a planet because he was scared of a legend. Cell at least truly thought he was unstoppable.

I'm not even sure what you're point is to all this though. Many of the best villains are undone by their own hubris, why is it suddenly a bad thing for Cell? You might not like Cell, and that's fine, but he's still a great villain narratively.

HardRojo

They're bad copies of the actual character designs, it's weird.

Why not just use these, the actual character designs?
Funi does weird shit sometimes when it comes to art they use to advertise Dragon Ball.
Oh, yeah that's weird lol, Frost in particular looks really bad, too many rough edges.

HeroR

Frieza had no reason to risk it, this is the same guy that destroyed a planet because he was scared of a legend. Cell at least truly thought he was unstoppable.

I'm not even sure what you're point is to all this though. Many of the best villains are undone by their own hubris, why is it suddenly a bad thing for Cell? You might not like Cell, and that's fine, but he's still a great villain narratively.

Risk what? He was literally kicking Goku's butt and Goku could barely stand.

Cell was a moron who literally provoked his own end on top of being a boring villain.

Neoxon

He's also Leon S Kennedy and that dude that sounds like Troy Baker in Tales of Xillia as well as Baker's replacement for Kanji in I believe Persona 4 Golden and the Persona 4 anime.
Troy Baker came back to voice Kanji in Persona 4 Golden. Matthew filled in for Troy in the 2nd half of the anime (due to Troy's honeymoon at the time), P4AU, & PQ (I think those two were due to scheduling conflicts).

I'm more than okay with this. I guess Richard Epcar isn't the only one taking over Toonami.

Matthew Mercer? He voices Jotaro, McCree, Yusuke, Captain Levi, Fei Long, & a shit-ton of other characters.

If you mean Hit, he was previously voiced by Aaron Roberts in Xenoverse 2.

I don't know any of these characters lol

Rutger

Banned
Risk what? He was literally kicking Goku's butt and Goku could barely stand.

Cell was a moron who literally provoked his own end on top of being a boring villain.

Again, Frieza is the same person that destroyed planet Vegeta because of a legend. He is established as a coward who is scared of the idea of someone being better than him and lashes out with excessive force to eliminate that threat. Then some Saiyans start causing problems and he plays around with them, sure he's a sadist but continuing to hold back against some of the strongest opponents he's faced when he knows about that legend is as much a case of poor judgement as Cell not believe that Gohan could actually surpass him.

And I have to disagree with Cell being boring, I find him far more engaging in his actions throughout the arc and his personality to be very interesting compared to other villains in the series. But that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to make you like Cell, however your argument for why he is not a good villain is lacking and can be applied to others in the series.

daveo42

Banned
Cell was great because he was such a scrappy villain early on because he needed to be to survive. His arc fell apart when he essentially became a less sadistic Frieza clone.

HeroR

Again, Frieza is the same person that destroyed planet Vegeta because of a legend. He is established as a coward who is scared of the idea of someone being better than him and lashes out with excessive force to eliminate that threat. Then some Saiyans start causing problems and he plays around with them, sure he's a sadist but continuing to hold back against some of the strongest opponents he's faced when he knows about that legend is as much a case of poor judgement as Cell not believe that Gohan could actually surpass him.

And I have to disagree with Cell being boring, I find him far more engaging in his actions throughout the arc and his personality to be very interesting compared to other villains in the series. But that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to make you like Cell, however your argument for why he is not a good villain is lacking and can be applied to others in the series.

I can write an essay why I didn't like Cell and why Frieza's actions don't come off as bad as Cell. Him trying to kill himself after he actively provoked Gohan is just one of them. The only villains I like less than Cell is Omega Shenron (who doesn't even have a personality) and Super 17 who's just utter trash-tier.

I honestly would have preferred Androids 16, 17, and 18 staying as the main 'villains' and seeing where the story would have gone.

Rutger

Banned
Cell was great because he was such a scrappy villain early on because he needed to be to survive. His arc fell apart when he essentially became a less sadistic Frieza clone.

There's more to Perfect Cell than being a less sadistic Frieza. Honestly, I'd say he's far closer to Vegeta or even Goku, and that's part of why he makes such a great villain to pass the torch to Gohan. The Frieza side really only makes him more willing to do evil things and less likely to stop.

I can write an essay why I didn't like Cell and why Frieza's actions don't come off as bad as Cell. Him trying to kill himself after he actively provoked Gohan is just one of them. The only villains I like less than Cell is Omega Shenron (who doesn't even have a personality) and Super 17 who's just utter trash-tier.

I honestly would have preferred Androids 16, 17, and 18 staying as the main 'villains' and seeing where the story would have gone.

Okay, it's fine if you don't like him.
But the action you mentioned does not make him a bad villain.

My problem with Cell is that he lacks a humorous side. Far too serious, like the whole Arc. Especially when he becomes perfect. The only enjoyment is provided by Mr. Satan.

xhZhJ1u.gif

Still the GOAT.

I'd take that over a Black Kamehameha.

Doesn't even need to be the Scythe, just the energy blade with the projectiles he uses.

I'm fine with the energy blade , that's cool enough

Why wouldn't they. That inclusion screamed video game fluff when they showed it.

Yeah you need techniques like that to separate him from Goku

Why wouldnt they use it? It's fucking great.

If they don't, then why are they even making this game

Because the scythe is dumb :/

TreIII

Yeah. The most interesting thing about 17, 18 and Cell was that they were all inventions by Gero for the sake of a single purpose. But then they all pretty much gave a middle finger to Gero's original intentions and just wanted to "have fun" while eventually getting to that goal.

Toriyama could have basically told a more interesting version of Buu's story years in advance if he just continued in that vein and developed the characters more from that standpoint. "Kids with too much power, but with every knowledge of how to use it. So how do Goku and pals deal with it?"

Anth0ny

I thought Perfect Cell doing his whole Cell Games schtick was pretty amusing. I think there was a lot of potential there to do some more humour with the character.

caliph95

Yeah. The most interesting thing about 17, 18 and Cell was that they were all inventions by Gero for the sake of a single purpose. But then they all pretty much gave a middle finger to Gero's original intentions and just wanted to "have fun" while eventually getting to that goal.

Toriyama could have basically told a more interesting version of Buu's story years in advance if he just continued in that vein and developed the characters more from that standpoint. "Kids with too much power, but with every knowledge of how to use it. So how do Goku and pals deal with it?"
I imagine that what 17 and 18 would have been if he didn't have to keep changing villains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom