• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmille99

Everything is canon to itself. It's such a pointless discussion when you go that route. The point is it's not going to be tied into the main continuity.

Im fine with that. I just think the whole idea of GT being non-cannon just because Toriyamas lack of work in it is ridiculous.

Jmille99

How cute. You knew exactly what I meant by the further explanation of

Trunks is very much a part of the main continuity, whereas Baby(ugh), Super 17(bleh), etc. are not. :)

Its cute the goal posts being moved here. Say alternate timelines arent cannon, but defend a different alternate timeline as cannon.

The bottom line is this. Alternate timelines are cannon. They dont have to be cannon to the main timeline. Future Trunks timeline is not cannon with current timeline. Those events can not happen 100% accurately.

Toriyama has confirmed it as an alternate timeline, so its not farfetched to say its any less cannon than Future Trunks just because they havent traveled to its future or someone has come back from that future.

Jesus, its like some people cant accept that GT is its own DB cannon without it soiling their enjoyment of the main cannon. Maybe its because ive read comics so long that the idea of other timelines and worlds being cannon even when not brought into the main world is fine? I just dont get it personally.

NEO0MJ

Any canon power level lists?

There are some official guides that have character power levels, but I'm not sure if they were directly Toriyama approved.

Still, power levels are the worst . It feels kinda wrong that you can objectively rank characters in a show IMO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HeroR

I'd say it is a majority consensus. However, there are a few outliers who try to act as though it was amazing and that Super is the insult to Dragon Ball, and not the other way around .

People can like whatever they want. If they like GT more than Super, that's fine.

My problem is that GT fans tend to pushed it and try to pretend that GT didn't have the same flaws as Super in many ways outside of the animation (which is undercut by the ugly art).

Cool, but that still makes it cannon. Juat means they can make something else cannon too at the same time.

That is like claiming DC's Else World stories are canon. You could make the argument, but most people and even DC don't. They're just 'What Ifs' most of the time.

Everything is canon to itself. It's such a pointless discussion when you go that route. The point is it's not going to be tied into the main continuity.

And there you have it.

HeroR

Its cute the goal posts being moved here. Say alternate timelines arent cannon, but defend a different alternate timeline as cannon.

The bottom line is this. Alternate timelines are cannon. They dont have to be cannon to the main timeline. Future Trunks timeline is not cannon with current timeline. Those events can not happen 100% accurately.

Toriyama has confirmed it as an alternate timeline, so its not farfetched to say its any less cannon than Future Trunks just because they havent traveled to its future or someone has come back from that future.

Jesus, its like some people cant accept that GT is its own DB cannon without it soiling their enjoyment of the main cannon. Maybe its because ive read comics so long that the idea of other timelines and worlds being cannon even when not brought into the main world is fine? I just dont get it personally.

GT isn't even an alternate timeline. It's just a 'What If. It's like claiming Injustice is canon to the DC universe.

Toriyama also never called GT a 'alternate timeline'. He called it a side-story, almost the same thing he said about the original 13 movies, which are not different timelines. Also, unlike comics, Dragon Ball's timelines are not set up like the Else Worlds of DC where stuff connects. Dragon Ball has only five confirmed timelines, now seven after the Future Trunks Saga. GT aren't one of them, especially since Super can't fit into GT without basically rewriting GT.

dci260

There has been no movement of goal posts, my stance has yet to change, so it's odd you would find that cute... Anyway, I believe there is a misunderstanding here, so allow me to further clarify. I initially used the wording "alternate timeline," but it would have made more sense for me to use "alternate continuity". The main continuity is what I'm speaking about here, as I had elaborated upon in that initial post with, "GT is not, nor will it ever be, apart of the main continuity". You're simply getting too hung up on the terminology that was used, which is partially my own fault.

Does "alternate continuity != canon" make more sense to you?

Alternate timelines that take place within the main continuity (established by time rings), like Trunks, are canon, yes. But GT does not take place within the main continuity.

I think it's safe to assume Toriyama was not equating GT to Future Trunk's timeline, and therefore was using the term "timeline" liberally and almost assuredly meant "continuity".

Jesus, its like some people cant accept that GT is its own DB cannon without it soiling their enjoyment of the main cannon.
GT is canon to its own alternate continuity, sure, similarly to how the movies (aside from BoG & RoF) can be viewed as such. However, regardless of how anyone feels about it, GT does not take place within the currently established continuity and is therefore not canon to the main continuity.

Maybe its because ive read comics so long that the idea of other timelines and worlds being cannon even when not brought into the main world is fine? I just dont get it personally.
That most definitely is a factor. Comic book continuity is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Sephzilla

canon-australia-eos-80d-single-lens-kit-slant-screen-out.png

Zamasu didn't want everything gone, just disgusting ningen. Zamasu would likely feel very conflicted about this whole thing, I can see him ending up turning against Zeno,"my way is the correct way to kill ningen, not like this. ....."

LotusHD

Banned
Ive always hated the idea that just because Toriyama didnt have his hands completely in GT that it wasnt cannon. We dont have the same requirements for any other type of fiction usually, so the only reason people dont consider it cannon is because they dont like it.

But with Super, since it cannonically places it before GT, basically makes it a what-if unless they decide to link it at the end.

Even people that like GT acknowledge it isn't canon tho, so... what now

what's this about toppo being a god of destruction candidate?

I can see it. Justice is dead after all.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
There are some official guides that have character power levels, but I'm not sure if they were directly Toriyama approved.

Still, power levels are the worst . It feels kinda wrong that you can objectively rank characters in a show IMO ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I really agree with this. To take out any character or narrative influence of who wins a battle besides their objective power level is stupid. It's why every single character besides Goku and Vegeta has been sidelined. The way they used Trunks in the manga was stupid.

I view GT as just a continuation of the Z anime. I won't write it off completely until we get into post Z. Otherwise I'll just bullshit it into my head canon.

The second part of Limit Break X Survivor (before the guitar riff near the end)honestly feels like an alternate version of the song that could be used as a "new" opening.

Gin-Shiio

"It's not canon" is a defense mechanism of GT haters to shut down whatever positive thing someone might see in it. I mean, who gives a shit?

HeroR

"It's not canon" is a defense mechanism of GT haters to shut down whatever positive thing someone might see in it. I mean, who gives a shit?

Why do you care if it isn't canon. All One Piece fans knows Toei's exclusives stuff are not canon to One Piece, but they still have discussions about it like movie 6.

GT isn't canon to the main timeline of Dragon Ball created by Toriyama. That is the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom