• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
There's more to Perfect Cell than being a less sadistic Frieza. Honestly, I'd say he's far closer to Vegeta or even Goku, and that's part of why he makes such a great villain to pass the torch to Gohan. The Frieza side really only makes him more willing to do evil things and less likely to stop.

There is more Goku/Vegeta in there because that's his design, but it's also that he's one hell of a smug asshole most of the time, then whines about losing and tries some underhanded shit because he still wins if he just blows the planet up. Perfect Cell is where Cell falls apart for me as a character. Though, I really like the arc as a whole because we get the best Gohan.

1st form Cell is great, I like his patience, he's the villain most in control of himself.

When it came time for Perfect Cell it's like AT had no clue what to do with him, that's what happens when you let the villain achieve his ultimate goal,(and he never really showed much vigor about killing Goku) you either gotta kill him immediately in a last stand or have him drive the heroes underground so they can came back later, stronger, while he wrecks havoc. They could have easily done the whole Kid Buu thing with him, Cell goes Perfect and blows everything up and starts ruining other planets looking for strong people, meanwhile Goku's IT saved the Z-fighters.

Rutger

Banned
I imagine that what 17 and 18 would have been if he didn't have to keep changing villains
I'm not too interested in that. 17 and 18 ultimately turning out to not be evil, but also not out to help the heroes is a fun twist on the Terminator like story going on in the Cell saga.
1st form Cell is great, I like his patience, he's the villain most in control of himself.

When it came time for Perfect Cell it's like AT had no clue what to do with him, that's what happens when you let the villain achieve his ultimate goal,(and he never really showed much vigor about killing Goku) you either gotta kill him immediately in a last stand or have him drive the heroes underground so they can came back later, stronger, while he wrecks havoc. They could have easily done the whole Kid Buu thing with him, Cell goes Perfect and blows everything up and starts ruining other planets looking for strong people, meanwhile Goku's IT saved the Z-fighters.

I think Toriyama knew exactly what to do with him. Perfect Cell reaches his goal and he wants to test it out/show it off. I think it's a very natural progression of his character given how we see him act after other boosts in power.

TreIII

I imagine that what 17 and 18 would have been if he didn't have to keep changing villains

17 and 18, as they were portrayed in the present, wouldn't have worked as the "Big Bads" of that arc, no matter what.

At best, I would have expected that Toriyama knew that he needed someone "bigger and badder" than them. I guess my only surprise was where Cell came from, when I believe that Gero should have been the true Big Bad of his own arc. We should have known that Goku was responsible for the death of his son and the like, ages ago, I feel. Instead everything relating to the possible tying up loose ends from the Red Ribbon Army died after Gero got squashed.

HeroR

17 and 18, as they were portrayed in the present, wouldn't have worked as the "Big Bads" of that arc, no matter what.

At best, I would have expected that Toriyama knew that he needed someone "bigger and badder" than them. I guess my only surprise was where Cell came from, when I believe that Gero should have been the true Big Bad of his own arc. We should have known that Goku was responsible for the death of his son and the like, ages ago, I feel. Instead everything relating to the possible tying up loose ends from the Red Ribbon Army died after Gero got squashed.

Goku didn't kill Gero's son. He got killed by friendly fire.

And the androids could have made great shade of gray villains if they were written right.

Rutger

Banned

While it would have been great to learn more about 16, 17, and 18's origin, I don't think it was too necessary. Gero and the Red Ribbon Army are a good way to get things started, but since Gero wasn't actually a major part of the Red Ribbon Army arc in Dragon Ball I think having it snowball out of his control and become its own thing is fine.

ElFly

there's android 16 right there tho

have we talked about how much limit break x survivor rules?

Shimanuki art

Yeah if he's gotten that much better where he draws like this more consistently then he's fine, but googling his name shows me a style that I distinctly recognize from appearing throughout Super that I particularly don't like.

First half was Studio Wanpack, but there were plenty of corrections from chief supervisor Miyako Tsuji and some 2nd key animators, second half was supervised by Hiroyuki Itai.

Hit and Goku (Goku was more noticeable for me) had weird shots in this ep, but I was still very pleased with it overall. I certainly don't need perfection to be pleased, but I wonder if the "off" shots were due to a "style" or just a lack of resources thing. I assume the latter since I didn't recognize I recurring style really with some of the weird Goku shots.

Anyway, that was my kind of episode when it comes to art/animation.

I don't think Master Roshi will be eliminated next episode. Every previous spoiler and NEP made it seem that the highlighted character would be the next to be out
(even episode 106 spoilers make it look like Piccolo, Gohan and Tenshinhan would face a big trouble from the invisible insects of Universe 4)
but in reality they prevail over their opponents while the NEP that made Krilin look like a champion, its episode had Krilin eliminated at the end.
I think Master Roshi will face the 5 opponents, 4 from the Universe 4 and Magetta from Universe 6 and he will use Mafuba to throw all of them out. Goku still thinks that he will die if he uses this technique like before, but both Goku and Trunks used it many times while training and against Zamasu and nothing happened to them. I am sure Kame Sennin won't be hurt after using Mafuba after he got much stronger from his training.
He will finish the 4 fighters of Universe 4 + Magetta
and again Piccolo,
Gohan and Tenshihan will finish the last Universe 4 fighters which are the invisble insects,
thus making Universe 7 terminate another universe again.

HeroR

The lyrics to the opening:

ZoqEOXt.jpg

I don't think Master Roshi will be eliminated next episode. Every previous spoiler and NEP made it seem that the highlighted character would be the next to be out
(even episode 106 spoilers make it look like Piccolo, Gohan and Tenshinhan would face a big trouble from the invisible insects of Universe 4)
but in reality they prevail over their opponents while the NEP that made Krilin look like a champion, its episode had Krilin eliminated at the end.
I think Master Roshi will face the 5 opponents, 4 from the Universe 4 and Magetta from Universe 6 and he will use Mafuba to throw all of them out. Goku still thinks that he will die if he uses this technique like before, but both Goku and Trunks used it many times while training and against Zamasu and nothing happened to them. I am sure Kame Sennin won't be hurt after using Mafuba after he got much stronger from his training.
He will finish the 4 fighters of Universe 4 + Magetta
and again Piccolo,
Gohan and Tenshihan will finish the last Universe 4 fighters which are the invisble insects,
thus making Universe 7 terminate another universe again.

You only die using the Mafuba if your opponent is far stronger than you.

I wouldn't say far stronger since Black was sure that Future Zamasu could kill Trunks by himself and Got and Vegeta seemed to think he could since they were trying to stop him but were held back by clones.

Zamasu couldn't even beat a weak SSJ2 Trunks. If he fights Ikari Trunks it will go something like this.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Big One

Banned
Cell is basically a Dragon Ball GT villain that's canon. Busy as fuck design (wtf is with those spots?), cool concept but boring as shit.

HeroR

Zamasu couldn't even beat a weak SSJ2 Trunks. If he fights Ikari Trunks it will go something like this.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The same Trunks who kicked Super Saiyan Rose Black into a building after he parried his sword strikes in the same episode that he stabbed Future Zamasu? By that logic, Black was only a little ahead of Super Saiyan 2 Trunks. And Future Zamasu traded hands with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku and even pushed him back.

If Future Zamasu was so outmatched, I don't think Black would be so sure that he could kill Trunks and Goku and Vegeta wouldn't be in such a rush to help Trunks. Especially since it would take Future Zamasu forever to wear out Trunks to the point of killing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom