• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
LJcolEG.jpg

*throws on top of Piccolo and Gohan*

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Super's use of the established cast has been good this arc. Seems like a self-aware decision that's really paying off.

I-hate-u

Super so far does not surpass Z, probably never will. Even the worst of the Z saga contain several great moments, it's hard for Super to come close to it with its best. Dragon Ball Super doesn't even best Dragon ball. GT trails behind all 3 tho.

Also Undead, how can you prefer Super when almost surely it will not contain close to the amount of Piccolo action?

Supast4r

I just really like how super talks about fighting. In Z there is a huge focus on power levels. In Super there has been a huge emphasis on experience, specific fighting styles, dragon ball of moves like the evil containmemt wave, og characters being relevant again, etc. It just feels like Super has so many more ties to Dragon ball and it's very nice to see.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Super for me will not surpass Z, probably never will. Even the worst of the Z saga contain several great moments, it's hard for Super to come close to it with its best. Dragon Ball Super doesn't even best Dragon ball. GT trails behind all 3 tho.

Two things I can think of that Super has done better than Z are small but important to me. They made Trunks relevant in his own arc as he took on a lead role and everything they're doing with Gohan right now feels like they're patching up complaints from the end of the Buu arc while taking him in a solid direction.

Supast4r

Super so far does not surpass Z, probably never will. Even the worst of the Z saga contain several great moments, it's hard for Super to come close to it with its best. Dragon Ball Super doesn't even best Dragon ball. GT trails behind all 3 tho.

Also Undead, how can you prefer Super when almost surely it will not contain close to the amount of Piccolo action?
This is nostalgia speaking

Easy.

Piccolo already has 3 fights he won on it.

Also thanks to Super he finally surpassed Cell.

LordOfChaos

Zeno not being able to count to seven solidified the idea in my mind, that the whole reason for this tournament being there being too many universes for Zeno to track...Well that's already solved by there being two Zenos now. Together, they can count to 6 twice!

I-hate-u

Two things I can think of that Super has done better than Z are small but important to me. They made Trunks relevant in his own arc as he took on a lead role and everything they're doing with Gohan right now feels like they're patching up complaints from the end of the Buu arc while taking him in a solid direction.
Valid point on Trunks but to be fair, in DBZ all of the fights where in the present timeline so in that sense it's alright that Gohan and Goku where the ones who took on the lead role. In Super it was vice-versa and that's ok.

In regards to Gohan, we have yet to see. Even if he does something major in the tournament, what are the odds he's gonna sit out the next arc if there is one?

This is nostalgia speaking

Actually I got into Dragon Ball pretty late into my life, in roughly 2011. DragonBall stopped airing where I lived, so I didn't see much past the Namek saga when I was a child.

I am probably the most recent fan of the DB franchise out of the users of this thread. I got into Naruto and Bleach before DB.

Easy.

Piccolo already has 3 fights he won on it.

Also thanks to Super he finally surpassed Cell.

I mean he didn't win against them, but his fights against Freeza, Cell, and 17 were freaking awesome regardless. A character doesn't have to win to put out an incredible performance. Goku loses most of his fights if you think about it.

CazTGG

I actually think both Battle of Gods arc and Future Trunks arc is better than the Boo arc in Z, for better or worse. The Universal Survival arc has been pretty damn good too so far! I got soured on the Boo arc big time when I switched to the original manga version. One of the few times I prefer Z with all of it's filler in-tact.

The Battle of Gods arc lacked our saviour befriending Majin Buu.

Speaking of the Future Trunks arc in Super, something's been on my mind as of late: With that arc, there was a perfect opportunity to tie in that new form to Trunk's rage when he discovered Gohan's dead body: In Z, Trunks unlocks the Super Saiyan form after losing his mentor to the androids, which he blames on himself since his lack of experience cost Gohan his arm during their initial encounter and eventually his life during the second one. . With Zamasu/Black's goal being to the androids i.e. wipe out humanity, they could have tied them to the androids and had Trunks' anger triggered due to being reminded of his previous failures, current inability to protect the people he cares about and the cruelty of the androids that killed Gohan instead of it being...something about humanity's sins(?), perhaps flash back to Gohan's death to help emphasize the rage building up in him during that moment. Call it fan service if you want, approaching it in this manner would make for a much stronger moment for this new transformation as opposed to the end episode hook we got.

kunonabi

Ill take super over most of the Buu arc but it doesnt really touch Z though the Cell arc. I like the new characters in Super and the general tone but the rest of it is really hit or miss for me.

So with Goku vs Jiren starting October 8th with an hour long special I'm thinking the ToP might be over in October or November, but I still don't think that will be the end of the arc.

cordy

Banned
Yeah Super doesn't surpass Z for me. It's great but nah it just doesn't have any of those major moments and and a streamlined advancement like Z had in my eyes. Sure, characters gets more development but with Z it felt like if I missed something, I had to go back and understand it. With Super if I miss some things it won't be quite a change if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom