• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azerare

Goku is dicking around,17 got a idgaf attitude, tien is utterly useless and krillin got knocked out by gloating. The kids are where we draw the line

O and freiza might dick them over
Kids are just boring fusion gimmick at this point. I mean yeah if given the chance they could develop into something more... But I'm okay with just shelving them at this point.

Absolutely not. Goku is a fighting genius for crying out loud. He is often getting caught out as well. The kids also aren't as strong as you think they are and have 0 technique that would help here.

He's been caught off guard plenty of times and got out of it, but not because of some great skill, but because he powered up to get out of it. He's not been using his brain for most of the tournament. At least the kids would have probably stuck with the team. They could have taken them into the hyberbolic time chamber to train on strategy before the tournament. Anyway it doesn't really matter. The show is full of bad writing in terms of both plot and characterizations.

brinstar

My guess with Goten and Trunks was that they were trying to avoid overloading the team with Super Saiyans for variety's sake, of course with Ten ending up doing basically nothing it feels like a waste either way.

Morlas

My guess with Goten and Trunks was that they were trying to avoid overloading the team with Super Saiyans for variety's sake, of course with Ten ending up doing basically nothing it feels like a waste either way.

you know they would've brought gohan when he was their age....because he wasn't an idiot back then and they are

i'm saying the reason goten and trunks aren't there are they are both too naieve and dumb

you know they would've brought gohan when he was their age....because he wasn't an idiot back then and they are

i'm saying the reason goten and trunks aren't there are they are both too naieve and dumb
Gohan was scared the entire saiyan arc until piccolo died,try to rush freiza outta anger, didn't fight cell at full power because lol peace,dicked around with cell because lol I'm strong. I don't wanna hear it

brinstar

That too but obviously they could write around that if they needed to. I think having half the team be Super Saiyans would've been a bit much though. Again though, this is in the fantasy timeline where Tenshinhan got to actually do something >__>

HeroR

The writers should have never let useless shits like Tien and Krillin into the team when we still had two Super fucking Saiyans doing jack shit on Earth.

And they would be the first to go since Goten and Trunks are inexperience and Gotenks is a freaking moron who would charged the strongest person.

Seemed like a rushed episode, and Tiens sacrifice was pretty lame. Fell flat after Roshis brilliant episode imo.

Tien didn't sacrifice himself. He was ringed out regardless, he just made sure to take the person who did it with him.

Morlas

Gohan was scared the entire saiyan arc until piccolo died,try to rush freiza outta anger, didn't fight cell at full power because lol peace,dicked around with cell because lol I'm strong. I don't wanna hear it

those first two things happened about 4 years before the second two things

I-hate-u

Gohan was beaten by Krillin for his battle experience, think about that. Gotenks would get eliminated before the tournament had started probably.

Also I think it's been already established that most of these fighters of the other universes are trash tier power wise and rely on gimmicks. U7 has enough strong but let their guard down warriors.

Gohan was beaten by Krillin for his battle experience, think about that. Gotenks would get eliminated before the tournament had started probably.

Also I think it's been already established that most of these fighters of the other universes are trash tier power wise and rely on gimmicks. U7 has enough strong but let their guard down warriors.
And yet krillin was knocked out in the same way yall saying the kids would be so what's the difference

HeroR

He's been caught off guard plenty of times and got out of it, but not because of some great skill, but because he powered up to get out of it. He's not been using his brain for most of the tournament. At least the kids would have probably stuck with the team. They could have taken them into the hyberbolic time chamber to train on strategy before the tournament. Anyway it doesn't really matter. The show is full of bad writing in terms of both plot and characterizations.

Goku only got 'caught off-guard' twice. One we didn't even see and don't know what happened. Only the first one Goku powered up. The other time Beerus claimed that Goku 'drop his guard', he didn't. He just got outplayed and beat the magical girl without even using Super Saiyan.

Goten and Trunks wouldn't have stuck with the same. They would have wondered off while Gohan shouted 'Team work!' and mot likely get ringed out in the first minute. Also, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber doesn't give you arena experience or battle experience. Trunks spent a year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, but was still an experience fighter to the point that he didn't even noticed the weakness in his Ultimate Super Saiyan form.

And saying 'bad writing' is kind of funny when the show points out why Goten and Trunks are lousy choices for this tournament and history backs it up. Remember the characters counted on them to take out Buu, and we know how that ended.

Gohan was forced to fight since they needed literally strong fighter they could get their hands on and even then it was Piccolo's idea. Krillin was going to take Gohan home and even pointed out when Piccolo chewed Gohan out that Gohan had no business on a battlefield.

Namek, literally no one was expecting trouble. It was meant to be a simple trip.

Cell Saga, do you remember how everyone tore Goku a new one for putting Gohan on the front lines? And Gohan's arrogance bout is no worse than Vegeta or even Goku's.

And yet krillin was knocked out in the same way yall saying the kids would be so what's the difference

He also had two assist, one knockout, and saved 18 from a ring out. I doubt either Goten and Trunks would have done as much.

Jump thru hoops regardless it is bad writing just because goku has to be stagnant and gohan has to learn the same lesson over and over doesn't mean the kids can't grow. They aren't even kids anymore at this point

^^They would've done as much as the writers allowed to too? Ala tien?

Baleoce

Tiens overall input was pretty bad though, if you're going the whole experience route. Roshi actually showed his experience in a practical manner, and even got a GoD to acknowledge him.

I-hate-u

That's cause he's a dumbass, but at least he saved 18 and helped knock out a bunch of people. What if I told you Gotenks would do worse?

It's alright mang, their arc is coming next don't you worry

HeroR

Jump thru hoops regardless it is bad writing just because goku has to be stagnant and gohan has to learn the same lesson over and over doesn't mean the kids can't grow. They aren't even kids anymore at this point

^^They would've done as much as the writers allowed to too? Ala tien?

"Bad writing", anything I don't like. Honestly, 'bad writing' lost all meaning.

I'll be blunt, both Trunks and Goten are terrible fighters. They have a lot of promised and are strong, but in terms of actual fighting skills they are the weakest. They're reckless, childish, stupid, and would have been a horrible choice for this type of tournament. It would've been 'bad writing' to include them since they're completely undependable. Yamcha would have been a better choice then both of them.

The Z-Fighters put their fate in them to stop Buu and look how they royally fucked that up. Why would the depend of them again when the universe could be erased? If anything, it shows the character have been getting smarter by not using them since they haven't shown any mature growth as fighters and not just looking at power, which includes Gotenks who is Goten and Trunks' reckless and childish behavior times one-hundred.

daveo42

Banned
I think it's because they're setting him up to be exhausted in the next episodes.

Nah, it's a good way at making things look way worse than they really are. Besides, Piccolo has the arms of an action figure. You touch him the wrong way and the arms just come flying off.

"Bad writing", anything I don't like. Honestly, 'bad writing' lost all meaning.

I'll be blunt, both Trunks and Goten are terrible fighters. They have a lot of promised and are strong, but in terms of actual fighting skills they are the weakest. They're reckless, childish, stupid, and would have been a horrible choice for this type of tournament. It would've been 'bad writing' to include them since they're completely undependable. Yamcha would have been a better choice then both of them.

The Z-Fighters put their fate in them to stop Buu and look how they royally fucked that up. Why would the depend of them again when the universe could be erased? If anything, it shows the character have been getting smarter by not using them since they haven't shown any mature growth as fighters and not just looking at power, which includes Gotenks who is Goten and Trunks' reckless and childish behavior times one-hundred.
You just described goku I wanna make that clear
And vegeta but you know what he had?...Character development

Sony

Nintendo
They have a lot of promised and are strong, but in terms of actual fighting skills they are the weakest. They're reckless, childish, stupid, and would have been a horrible choice for this type of tournament. It would've been 'bad writing' to include them since they're completely undependable. Yamcha would have been a better choice then both of them.

That's Go-

yeah

HeroR

And vegeta but you know what he had?...Character development

Goku acts nothing like Goten and Trunks. The only thing he has in common with them is being childish and a little reckless, but knows when to get serious, unlike Goten and Trunks who who couldn't take Buu seriously for five minutes even after Buu after killed their moms. Or how about how they got gord by Super Buu to fused so he can absorbed them, which messed up Gohan?

Trying to put Goku in the same bracket as Goten and Trunks is laughable and is reaching to the moon at this point.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This arc sucks. No tension. No stand out fights. The Gohan vs Goku fight pre tournament and the Frieza episode were better than every tournament episode so far.

Hoping the Jiren fight is worth the build up, or The story takes an interesting twist. But so far this arc has solidified my hate for Shonen tournament arcs.

This arc is starting to drag a bit.

The biggest problem is the total lack of real stakes. 0% chance that everyone is staying "erased," there's no real villain, and the promised "Goku fighting another universe's Goku" thing was already done with Hit.

Unless there's some big twist with the angels, Zen-Oh getting assassinated, or something similar, this is basically a filler arc.

Slaythe

Watch them eliminate Vegeta in 107 and the twins in 108 after 3 months of dragging just to give Goku his super wank episode with no interference.

The biggest problem is the total lack of real stakes. 0% chance that everyone is staying "erased,"

Says who ?

Any universe that's been erased isn't coming back IMO.

I assume the ones that keep fighters inside the arena will probably be spared.

So 6 2 and 7.

Tiens overall input was pretty bad though, if you're going the whole experience route. Roshi actually showed his experience in a practical manner, and even got a GoD to acknowledge him.

Beerus acknowledged Tien after he got eliminated. So far it's only been Krillin who got disrespected. :p

HeroR

The biggest problem is the total lack of real stakes. 0% chance that everyone is staying "erased," there's no real villain, and the promised "Goku fighting another universe's Goku" thing was already done with Hit.

Unless there's some big twist with the angels, Zen-Oh getting assassinated, or something similar, this is basically a filler arc.

That described all of Dragon Ball, yet people pretended Z had 'real stakes'. Like did you honestly think anyone of any important who died was going to stay dead in Z? And Jiren is basically Hit from the Champa Saga.

Filler arc lol, really

It's already agreed that 'filler' lost all meaning. That along with plot hole and bad writing all boils down to 'plot points I don't like'. Which is fine, if they just say, 'I do not like this plot point', instead of trying to used objective words to make their opinion sound more legit.

Watch them eliminate Vegeta in 107 and the twins in 108 after 3 months of dragging just to give Goku his super wank episode with no interference.

Says who ?

So 6 2 and 7.
Would you be satisfied with that outcome I think the twins have done great

NeonZ

As part of a narrative, they did a really bad job with him. No character moments at all and he had very little on screen presence, but I don't think he was useless objectively.

He knocked out a guy who Roshi considered too strong to defeat, so resorted to a paralyzing technique, and just hoped someone else could get there before he ran out of power, which in hindsight looks better after Roshi's own focus episode, and now he beat up and was taken out alongside a sniper who was strong enough to easily put holes through Piccolo and smart enough to avoid detection by the others.

Trey

Goku acts nothing like Goten and Trunks. The only thing he has in common with them is being childish and a little reckless, but knows when to get serious, unlike Goten and Trunks who who couldn't take Buu seriously for five minutes even after Buu after killed their moms. Or how about how they got gord by Super Buu to fused so he can absorbed them, which messed up Gohan?

Trying to put Goku in the same bracket as Goten and Trunks is laughable and is reaching to the moon at this point.

He gave Cell a Senzu bean.

EmiPrime

The giant fireballs, powerful enough to destroy entire planets being transformed into gigantic gusts of wind is really annoying as is the no killing rule despite the high stakes. This arc has completely sanitised Dragon Ball. The only thing that can redeem it is if when Gohan or Goku inevitably win the tournament, they get denied their wish to restore the other universes, preferably by Zeno or the Grand Priest in some sinister twist rather than Frieza shouting out his wish first.

HeroR

He gave Cell a Senzu bean.

Which is still not as bad as most of the stunts Gotenks pulled in the Buu Saga. Because of Gotenks' carelessness, everyone on Kami's Lookout got eating alive by Buu. Goku also cleaned up Gohan's carelessness with Cell by sacrificing his life and giving spiritual guidance to Gohan, while Gotenks. and Goten and Trunks in extension, never redeemed themselves.

Says who ?

So 6 2 and 7.

I'm thinking this as well.

2, 6, 7 and 11 will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom