• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

There's build up to all of those moments though. It's not a Deus Ex Machina if there's a sufficient amount of groundwork laid out Gohan's "hidden potential" to kick in. I guess the tail growing back during Vegeta's fight counts?

And hey, I don't think Goku's one either! Most of the time anyway.

There was no build up for Gohan's first rage out or Gohan randomly regrowing his tail. Old Kai poping out of nowhere with his abilities also has no build up, it just happens.

While Deus Ex Machina may not apply to his other rage moments or his 'hidden potential', Gohan comes off as both cheap and a plot device more than Goku since we know Goku always train, while has been handed several free power-ups with Ultimate Gohan being the worse. Even his boost in Super, while he did train for over two years, feels hollow because he got most of his boost in hours.

As for Trunks, I can't see him as a Deus Ex Machina since Goku would have owned Frieza himself, so Trunks was unneeded.

CazTGG

YUDdtZO.png

..Ok, I got a chuckle out of this.

GreenScar

There was no build up for Gohan's first rage out or Gohan randomly regrowing his tail.

The build-up for Gohan's first rage power up was when Raditz threw his ass in the space pod and then registered him having a battle power of something like six or seven hundred.

brinstar

Freeza kills the Zenos, which has the side effect of undoing everything they've ever erased, including the 6 previous universes. The resulting energy unleashed from this amount of matter appearing suddenly is incalculable, causing a rupture in reality that pulls in a bunch of the ToP members including Freeza and some of our protags and the super dragon balls. This leads into the next arc where Goku and the others have to set things right and also watch out for the six previously erased GoDs and kais, who now want their revenge.

HeroR

The build-up for Gohan's first rage power up was when Raditz threw his ass in the space pod and then registered him having a battle power of something like six or seven hundred.

That isn't really foreshadowing Gohan suddenly getting made and handbutting Raditz.

LNBL

There was no build up for Gohan's first rage out or Gohan randomly regrowing his tail. Old Kai poping out of nowhere with his abilities also has no build up, it just happens.

While Deus Ex Machina may not apply to his other rage moments or his 'hidden potential', Gohan comes off as both cheap and a plot device more than Goku since we know Goku always train, while has been handed several free power-ups with Ultimate Gohan being the worse. Even his boost in Super, while he did train for over two years, feels hollow because he got most of his boost in hours.

As for Trunks, I can't see him as a Deus Ex Machina since Goku would have owned Frieza himself, so Trunks was unneeded.

You brush it off as “hidden potential”, but the show makes it clear that Gohan has the most potential out of all the fighters. They even mention it. If anything, Gohan suddenly dropping fighting and being useless was the asspull, which they fortunately reversed.

I think the most interesting things about these previews in regards to
Goku's new form are that the transformation is supposed to be shocking, it's supposed to be a Ki that they've never felt before and they are making sure everyone pays attention to Goku's silver eyes. I really want to know what it all means, I'm starting to think the terrible thing that is going to happen is Goku's transformation itself.

Calling it now.

Only Frost goes out next episode.

And I bet Freeza is the one to do it.

HeroR

You brush it off as “hidden potential”, but the show makes it clear that Gohan has the most potential out of all the fighters. They even mention it. If anything, Gohan suddenly dropping fighting and being useless was the asspull, which they fortunately reversed.

Doesn't mean Gohan should or even deserve a free power-up that craps on other people's hard work. The only power-up that Gohan ever really worked for is Super Saiyan 2.

Gohan not working to maintain the power given to him on a silver platter isn't an 'asspull'. It's called reality ensures. Asked anyone who may have been in heat shape, but then slacked off.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think the most interesting things about these previews in regards to
Goku's new form are that the transformation is supposed to be shocking, it's supposed to be a Ki that they've never felt before and they are making sure everyone pays attention to Goku's silver eyes. I really want to know what it all means, I'm starting to think the terrible thing that is going to happen is Goku's transformation itself.

And I bet Freeza is the one to do it.
We should take bets on if they explain it or not. After 104 I'm leaning on no...

We should take bets on if they explain it or not. After 104 I'm leaning on no...

It's something they've been hyping for months, it'll get explained in some way, maybe not right away, but it will.
It might not be an explanation that people are happy with though, like Blue.

HardRojo

Avoiding spoilers like the plague. I don't want to know anything about the special or what's coming afterwards. Expecting good things though.

HeroR

Maybe the form changes who he is while he's in it, and the terrible thing that happens is that.

I always had the theory that the supposedly 'terrible thing' was Goku himself.

But the upcoming episodes after the special throws me off since it seems Goku loses after getting this form. But I can't see Goku getting wolf in his new form in less than an episode. Toriyama is a troll, but that seems a little too much.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

But the upcoming episodes after the special throws me off since it seems Goku loses after getting this form. But I can't see Goku getting wolf in his new form in less than an episode. Toriyama is a troll, but that seems a little too much.

Maybe it's a new form, but not the next level. Like, it's a lot stronger but it's not a proper transformation so he burns out really fast. Sort of like what happened with Trunks in the Cell saga.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's not unprecedented though. At least in the manga Kaioken failed fairly quickly and Ultimate Gohan only lasted a few chapters.

Maybe it's a new form, but not the next level. Like, it's a lot stronger but it's not a proper transformation so he burns out really fast. Sort of like what happened with Trunks in the Cell saga.

Goku's burn out would also technically make the fight against the Universe 6 Saiyans 'more fair'. So far both Caulifla and Kale seem to be pretty out of it at the moment but from the episode titles we're getting the U6 vs U7 Saiyan fight. If those two haven't gotten much juice back from their rest then the fight against Goku as he's spent would make them 'even' so to speak.

If that's the case I can see both Goku and Caulifla if they square off again pretty damn unhappy with the arrangement. The question is does Gohan survive long enough to help Goku as Vegeta if he's still around fights Cabba?

HeroR

A 'next level' transformation can be an energy drain, Super Saiyan 3.

Plus, ki never seen before screams 'next level'.

It's not unprecedented though. At least in the manga Kaioken failed fairly quickly and Ultimate Gohan only lasted a few chapters.

Kaioken beat Nappa and pushed back Vegeta to the point of going Great Ape. So while it didn't beat Vegeta, it pushed him over the edge.

Ultimate Gohan didn't have the giant market push, because Toriyama was pulling stuff out of his butt and a different time, and failed because of Gohan's issues. Not the form itself.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama did this, but Toei just seems to make too much noise about it. It isn't like the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan/Kaioken that came out of nowhere, so it not beating Hit didn't sting that much.

HardRojo

That Latam dub was pretty good this week. Can't believe we're so close to the Future Trunks arc :D And next week we'll finally be getting the SSBKK episode :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom